Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Wildtortilla posted:

When I quit playing this weekend I was on my 14th straight loss.

I'm sorry but this is starting to sound like a personal problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tenebrais posted:

Nothing beats melting D.va's mech with Symmetra's microwave then immediately toasting her as she jumps out with your fully-charged beam.

Right clicking a Dva mech and hooking her when she's midair is pretty sweet.

It's even cooler if you've had to use your combo to to get her out of meka and melt her with a single rightclick before she touches the floor. That one gets me the hacker accusations all the time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Getting increasingly tired and tilted will affect your gameplay and potentially extend a loss streak. You should probably quit when that starts happening.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah, what heroes do you pick? I will give you an example of me in how this affects you: I slampicked D.Va at the start of Season 3 because I am a really good D.Va, and I climbed rapidly from SR1800 to SR2700. Then I started playing other heroes and fell down to SR2400 and I fluctuate between 2400-2600. I've played quite a few games now, and I can say I am probably a SR2800 D.Va, but SR2200 Soldier76, and somewhere around SR2400-2500 in most other heroes. There are a few that I would probably be SR2000 in (Mercy, Genji, most hitscan DPS).

So if you played a string of games as a hero you are good at, you may have climbed higher than your average SR because you're just better with that hero or that class of heroes.

I experienced an SR tumble in season 2 when I was farting around with heroes don't usually play and avoided that this season. I was able to correct that slumo by playing my god heroes.

I stick to playing Pharah, Mei, Roadhog, Dva, Junkrat, Zenyatta, and Lucio. I've stuck to these heroes in season 3 and nearly every game since my placement matches had been a blow out for one side or the other.

I'm not grumpy posting because I've lost a stupidly long string of games more than I'm grumpy posting because this game isn't fun for me any more due to match making giving me bullshit matches. I can count on my hands the number of fun, even matches I've had this season. Everything else has been a landslide.

Matchmaking ruled in season 2, I loved it. Season 3 feels totally different and it's not fun trouncing the other team and then ten minutes later getting trounced in the next game. The match ups oscillate wildly from one extreme to the other. Maybe I'm a lovely player, I have no idea because one game I feel like a rock star and the next I feel like everyone on my team is playing their very first game. People I talk to my games agree that their experience in season 3 is very similar to my own. Are people in this year having the same experience?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Wildtortilla posted:

Matchmaking ruled in season 2, I loved it. Season 3 feels totally different and it's not fun trouncing the other team and then ten minutes later getting trounced in the next game. The match ups oscillate wildly from one extreme to the other. Maybe I'm a lovely player, I have no idea because one game I feel like a rock star and the next I feel like everyone on my team is playing their very first game. People I talk to my games agree that their experience in season 3 is very similar to my own. Are people in this year having the same experience?

I was at the start of the season, but then things started to stabilize. For the first few weeks though, about 95% of the matches I played were 1-0 or 3-0 wins or losses. It was bizarre.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Up around the 2800 marks I get matches that are usually not COMPLETE blowouts, like we'll lose a KotH map but it's rarely 3-0. If I get a losing streak and slide down into 2700 or below the matches seem to get shittier, more stomps and people slampicking hanzo (always hanzo, never met like a genji or tracer slam picker)

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I see genji slam picks the most. Or if someone slam picks Hanzo someone always slampicks genji right after.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I haven't played as long as most but it doesn't seem too different from last season to me. For me, there are mostly two types of games: games where both teams pick a good comp, and games where one team does not.

The rare third type is where both teams have a retarded comp. Types one and three are usually pretty good fun. I would say about 60% of my wins and losses are usually on the back of team composition though. 20% dictated by clear player skill superiority on one side. 20% miscellaneous.

It's usually pretty easy to recognise a losing lineup from the word go.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Hanzo and Genji are good enough heroes that can do a lot of work but people always expect you to either be a literal god and carry the game or be completely useless, deciding to whine instead of pushing after they get that one pick on Ana or Soldier or whatever.

edit: Good enough being that seeing either one or even both in your lineup matters a lot less than people are making it seem like.

Kehveli fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 20, 2017

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Kehveli posted:

Hanzo and Genji are good enough heroes that can do a lot of work but people always expect you to either be a literal god and carry the game or be completely useless, deciding to whine instead of pushing after they get that one pick on Ana or Soldier or whatever.

edit: Good enough being that seeing either one or even both in your lineup matters a lot less than people are making it seem like.

My experience with Hanzos is that you either play with 5 or you have a literal god, so I suppose that expectation isn't completely baseless. And sometimes you get a sick Genji, but mostly they just take up a DPS slot and you wish they hadn't. Usually played by standoffish people who whine a lot too. Nanoboost and Dragonblade is a great pointcracker though, even for bad Genjis.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I've just found out that shielding as Reinhardt as you fall off the map will count as "blocking" the death plane so the game thinks you blocked 2,000 damage and you instantly get like 40 points towards the On Fire meter.

This amuses me.

So wait, does this mean you could go On-Fire for 95% of the match if you just death-dropped the entire time?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

I've been having the same experience. That, combined with my dislike of the most recent patch, has me not playing and instead playing other things.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bumper Stickup posted:

I've been having the same experience. That, combined with my dislike of the most recent patch, has me not playing and instead playing other things.

I've mostly been melting faces with a ballistic shield and SMG in The Division after buying it from a Steam holiday sale. I may come back if/when the tank meta is dead and buried.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Boogle posted:

I've mostly been melting faces with a ballistic shield and SMG in The Division after buying it from a Steam holiday sale. I may come back if/when the tank meta is dead and buried.

I got ark on ps4 and that has consumed my time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Winston things I found out today:

-You can reload during Jump Pack.

-You can contain Self-Destruct in a bubble and it does nothing to people outside. I've already heard that it also works for Reaper/Lucio's ult so this was also nice to know.

-80% of Tracers seem to instantly Recall as soon as you even zap them a little. Tracers, Winston's scary to you but he's not THAT scary.

-Ulting during an opposing Zenyatta's Trascendance is the best thing.

-Alternatively, jumping behind a Mei who's about to come out of Ice Block and then grinning as she puts up an Ice Wall in front as she thaws out, trapping herself between the wall and you.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I have never been destroyed as hard as I got destroyed today by an enemy Mercy on 3v3. She solo'd all three of us. That was a well-earned teabag, Mercy.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Thor-Stryker posted:

So wait, does this mean you could go On-Fire for 95% of the match if you just death-dropped the entire time?

The points wear off by the time you've respawned, so no. But I think you could briefly acquire On Fire status by doing pretty well and then suiciding.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

dogstile posted:

Right clicking a Dva mech and hooking her when she's midair is pretty sweet.

It's even cooler if you've had to use your combo to to get her out of meka and melt her with a single rightclick before she touches the floor. That one gets me the hacker accusations all the time.

I died as her just before ejecting in a game last night. Pharah headshot the second the model appeared. The mech destroyed icon was flashing then I was just dead.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I don't even think Dva buffs made her a good pick, it was what happened to the rest of the meta.

Dva never beat beyblade, because she did nothing to nanoblade and nanoreinhardt, and even against Reaper she needs to put defense matrix cone between the target and the source to protect them, and a sped up dude can just run around her and shoot everyone except her, and he only needed to land one shot to kill, and that usually charged up his ultimate, and then she couldn't block enough of that for the same reason. Roadhog beat beyblade with whole hog, but not enough teams figured it out. Instead, people just tried to rely on lucky sleep darts and ult-wasting, position-loving CC chains like Reinhardt ulting and charging the blue guy really far away while his team died to everyone else.

At the same time Reaper, was never the answer to Dva, and isn't really a "tank buster." He's a Zarya and Winston buster, and when you add Dva and Roadhog to the mix he can never get anything done because without an enormous speed boost it's trivial to turn around and stop him from snowballing and oneshot him. Zarya was the Dva buster and reason she was never run, because there was a bugged interaction between Zarya beam and armor. Before the big hero balance patch it was partially piercing the armor, and the fix made it work like pellets or Winston's M1 and they nerfed her barriers so they charged her damage slower. All that means D.va became extremely less countered by a high-pick hero in the same slot, tank. Seriously, Zarya could regularly more damage to Dva than Reaper and through her defense matrix.

Similarly, to not giving the tournament meta time to change naturally before, the answer to Dva/the tank meta now is Mei, but not enough people play her. She can M1 Dva through defense matrix and keep her from shutting down ults like visor. Her M2 damage hits important breakpoints against other, best-in-slot, "meta" heroes: she can kill Tracer with 1(!) headshot or 2 body shots, and kill her with double headshots through Ana heals. Likewise, she can 2 shot Ana through her Biotic Grenade self heal, and 2 shot (headshot bodyshot) any 200 hp hero through Lucio's passive healing (not amped up) including Lucio himself. A problem with her is that she sucks at breaking a Reinhardt barrier without her ultimate, but if her team coordinates around ice wall better than the other team, her ice wall gives her Reinhardt a chance to heal just less than 500 barrier health and/or gives everyone time to manage cooldowns and simultaneously reload. Ice wall and cryo-freeze can stop graviton combos, every stage of Roadhog combo and his ult, Reinhardt ult and charges, can interfere with nanovisor or grant access to the high ground Soldier likes to sprint to. Her ult destroys phalanxes and combos with graviton.

Finally, her best counters are F-tier heroes like Reaper who can reliably 2 shot her and escape her freeze and ult, Hanzo who can graviton combo through icewall and reliably hit the 1 shot breakpoint (also he can shoot a sonic arrow on top of her while she's in cryo-freeze and it will drop onto her head when it ends), and Junkrat whose ult can climb icewalls and who can trap/mine her while cryo-freeze, Widow kind of counters her with 1 shotting and trapping the cryo-freeze.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

slydingdoor posted:

Before the big hero balance patch it was partially piercing the armor, and the fix made it work like pellets or Winston's M1 and they nerfed her barriers so they charged her damage slower.

You know, I thought the M1 polling rate change affected how Zarya worked against D.Va too, but since then I've seen a number of people come out and say that it hasn't actually changed how much damage Zarya does to armor. Does anyone have actual numbers on this? I've felt less threatened by Zarya as D.Va but it could be a combination of Zenyatta not being as prevalent and the additional +100 white health providing extra padding.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Everyone else has unique primary weapons which is great for such a large pool of characters, except Sombra who has Tracer's gun except weaker

Nah it shoots way further than Tracer's gun, it's just that "shooting from really far away" is a weird loving skill to give a stealth character.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah it shoots way further than Tracer's gun, it's just that "shooting from really far away" is a weird loving skill to give a stealth character.

Well Sombra doesn't have nearly the in-combat mobility that Tracer does, so forcing her to jam her gun right up against someone's face to be effective would essentially make her way more vulnerable. The flipside to this is that the spread is so much that you pretty much have to...jam your gun right up against someone's face if you don't want to take like forever to kill someone. "Tighten the spread on her bullet hose" is like the number one thing I see people suggesting for a Sombra buff.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

slydingdoor posted:

Similarly, to not giving the tournament meta time to change naturally before, the answer to Dva/the tank meta now is Mei, but not enough people play her. She can M1 Dva through defense matrix and keep her from shutting down ults like visor. Her M2 damage hits important breakpoints against other, best-in-slot, "meta" heroes: she can kill Tracer with 1(!) headshot or 2 body shots, and kill her with double headshots through Ana heals. Likewise, she can 2 shot Ana through her Biotic Grenade self heal, and 2 shot (headshot bodyshot) any 200 hp hero through Lucio's passive healing (not amped up) including Lucio himself. A problem with her is that she sucks at breaking a Reinhardt barrier without her ultimate, but if her team coordinates around ice wall better than the other team, her ice wall gives her Reinhardt a chance to heal just less than 500 barrier health and/or gives everyone time to manage cooldowns and simultaneously reload. Ice wall and cryo-freeze can stop graviton combos, every stage of Roadhog combo and his ult, Reinhardt ult and charges, can interfere with nanovisor or grant access to the high ground Soldier likes to sprint to. Her ult destroys phalanxes and combos with graviton.

The answer to the tank meta is not mei lol (as someone who plays a lot of mei anyway). She can freeze one of the tanks at risk to herself and can't do enough damage through an ana, and anas grenade wrecks her ice block. Best case scenario is you ice wall off a tank or two for your team to pounce on, which can suffice, but I wouldn't call her the answer

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

By those metrics wouldn't Hanzo and Widowmaker be more effective anti-tank classes, with even stronger headshots? Also longer ranges to stay out of tanks' short range.
I mean for all I know snipers might really be the answer.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tenebrais posted:

By those metrics wouldn't Hanzo and Widowmaker be more effective anti-tank classes, with even stronger headshots? Also longer ranges to stay out of tanks' short range.
I mean for all I know snipers might really be the answer.

Snipers get hamstrung by rotating defensive abilities, having to look for angles through Rein's shield, having to contend with D.Va's mobile defense matrix, Zarya's barriers, etc. It's worth noting that at some recent pro tournament one of the teams did in fact go "gently caress the meta" and played who they were best at which meant bringing Widowmaker and Tracer backed by Zenyatta and did quite well, but it's also worth noting that those players are possibly some of the best in the world at their respective characters.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
No DPS really deals with tanks currently because Ana can dump 100 healing into 150 shots. A Mcree head shotting your road hog is getting healed at the same rate as Ana. That's why this whole meta exists

And to the guy saying Mei is the answer, Ana would out heal your frozen dva head shots because you shoot slower than her

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

More New Year skins!

These four get a Journey to the West theme:

Three of these dudes just got a Christmas skin, so I'm surprised Blizz aren't spreading the love around more.

And Zenyatta is just terrifying.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So this is going to be a full fledged event then? 3000g skins? :smith:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Zen's might count as a 750g epic, since it looks like it's still a variation on his standard skin. But yeah everyone else so far looks to be a 3000g legendary.

EDIT: Actually, Zen's changes more details than I thought, so yeah that's probably 3k too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ToastyPotato posted:

So this is going to be a full fledged event then? 3000g skins? :smith:

As opposed to what

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Let's see that brings the total of none event skins up to... 2ish. (You can include Ana and Sombra if you want but that's just too much counting for me). Events are poo poo.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 21, 2017

KoB
May 1, 2009

Macaluso posted:

As opposed to what

The Eichenwalde update I guess? His new skins were just 1000.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Macaluso posted:

As opposed to what

I just want some non-time limited 1k skins :smith: I guess they realized seasonal skins at 3x the gold is a better business model though. :smithicide:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I reckon they'll start putting in more non-event cosmetics once they've created all their annual events and started looping round. Putting as many new cosmetics into a repeated event as was there the first time risks some serious overload for people who weren't there last year, but they're going to need to keep their character artists occupied somehow.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When is Zarya going to get a good skin

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When is Zarya going to get a good skin
The Olympics.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i just hope whatever event brawl they put in doesnt suck poo poo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i just hope whatever event brawl they put in doesnt suck poo poo

Tower Defense and Snowball Fight were awesome brawls though?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

teagone posted:

Tower Defense and Snowball Fight were awesome brawls though?

Snowball Fight was the worst poo poo ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nah, it was pretty fun imo. I didn't get all achievements for it like I did for Junkenstein's Revenge, but I had a blast playing it with other goons.