Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

At this point, you probably aren't going to get a quality TV if you don't go 4k outside of a few cases (projector, OLED.). If you are going too small for the 4k to be a better choice, you probably aren't going to get a great TV regardless.

If you are into Netflix and Amazon originals, it's absolutely worth it to go 4k now. If it's mostly cable TV and discs, there's less content to work with.

Buy a TV by establishing a budget and a size range. Then you can debate between your various options. If your list includes a 4k TV, it's almost certainly better than the 1080p options unless it's an LG OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

bull3964 posted:

At this point, you probably aren't going to get a quality TV if you don't go 4k outside of a few cases (projector, OLED.). If you are going too small for the 4k to be a better choice, you probably aren't going to get a great TV regardless.

If you are into Netflix and Amazon originals, it's absolutely worth it to go 4k now. If it's mostly cable TV and discs, there's less content to work with.

Buy a TV by establishing a budget and a size range. Then you can debate between your various options. If your list includes a 4k TV, it's almost certainly better than the 1080p options unless it's an LG OLED.

Cool, I'm looking at a 55" right now that I think I might just take the plunge and buy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

get that OUT of my face posted:

Weekly reminder to watch Man Seeking Woman if you haven't already.

I can't it's a Hardy's

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Shut Eye sounds great. Chance is next, then I'll give that a go. Sneaky Pete is amazing, everyone please watch it.

In sad news, Miguel Ferrer has passed away. He was one of my favorite "Hey it's that guy!" actors ever since Robocop. He was only 61.

That's a bummer. I'll always remember him as Lloyd from the Stand. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PantsBandit posted:

What's the general opinion on 4K? I'm in the market to buy a new tv and probably won't be again for several years, is it worth it to spring for a 4K display at this point? I don't currently have anything that outputs at 4K but who knows a year from now.

A year ago it was a bad investment because of the price. Now it's cheap to get a good 4K TV. So long as you have a service that makes it worth it or you invest in UHD blurays.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

Seven eps into Sneaky Pete, it's like they said "let's get all those great supporting character actors from other shows together and let them be the stars for once". And they did, and it was good. It was real drat good.

This is it exactly. I'm probably going to finish watching it tonight because it's so drat good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

YO THE GOOD PLACE FINALE SURE WAS loving SOMETHING

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

This is it exactly. I'm probably going to finish watching it tonight because it's so drat good.

It and Chance are definitely my two picks for streaming original series in the last 6 months.

Oh and wait for the end...(finale spoilers) THE RETURN OF THE HAIR

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zaggitz posted:

Don't spoil it. The first time I didn't tune in half an hour early because I kept forgetting it comes on at 8:30 and not 8, and turns out it did loving start at 8 tonight.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Good Place is good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm saving the good place for when I need to watch something fun. It's really good and I don't want it to be over yet.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So the season finale of No Tomorrow aired this week. It seemed like they saw the writing on the wall and made an ending that would work as an either/or if they get renewed (so no last minute cliffhangers.) In case anyone was wondering, real deal scientists double check Xavier's math and discover that he is right and an asteroid is going to hit. The season ends with a news report letting the whole world about the impending asteroid.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaggitz posted:

HAHA AGREED LIKE drat

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tonight on Colony:

You don't gently caress with Josh Holloway's kid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

RIP Miguel Ferrer, you bad motherfucker

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

RIP Miguel Ferrer, you bad motherfucker

Ah goddammit.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

Ah goddammit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-88rwt4ms

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Jeffrey Donovan stars in it, the guy who managed to carry Burn Notice for umpteenth seasons, and played the excellent bad guy in the second season of Fargo. He faces off against another alum from Fargo, Bear, who here plays the patriach of a ruthless Romanian crime family that runs psychic shops in L.A.

Roma ≠ Romanian. Roma are gypsies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, like I really enjoyed Shut Eye, but I feel like the portrayal of Roma in it is kind of problematic. Like, yeah, they address it in the show. But like, at the end of the day, you still have have a story about greedy thieving conniving Gypsie fortune tellers. And it's romanticized. Like, again, it's romanticized by the characters in the show, but ultimately, still by the show itself.

But like, maybe there are Gypsy crime families who control the fortune telling business with an iron fist. I don't know. If just... seems like someone went "hey, what if instead of an Italian Crime family who owns pizza places and Italian restaurants, we have a gypsy crime family that runs fortune tellers!" Like they are just swapping out the stereotypes, but ignoring the fact that the Cosa Nostra was a real thing and Roma are pretty badly persecuted both historically and today. Like stereotyping Italians as mobsters isn't really great either, but it's got a well-known historical basis.

Like I said, maybe Roma crime syndicates are a thing too.

fake edit: I did some googling, and apparently it's all real. And by "all real" I mean this article from 2001 on the obviously unbiased policemag.com, Gypsies are exactly as portrayed in the show.

But apparently American Gypsy Crime Families abscond with over $15 Billion every year. So whatever.

But for real, reading this article feels like I found the basis for the entire show. Like some guy read this article and said "I'm turning this into a show".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Guy Mann posted:

We got an Oliver Stone movie about George W Bush when get was still in office and The Newsroom was only a couple of years behind the real world, no way we're not going to have way too many film and television people tripping over themselves to pee pee doo doo he is a bad president about Trump as soon as possible.

If the trump movie isn't called Orange Dawn I will be really disappointed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

If the trump movie isn't called Orange Dawn I will be really disappointed.

I vaguely hope he actually does turn out to be a Russian plant because that way the movie can be called "Agent Orange".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get that #agentorange thing happening man. I believe in you.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

For those wondering, Netflix just announced that House of Cards S5 drops May 30.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

For those wondering, Netflix just announced that House of Cards S5 drops May 30.

Wait, what the gently caress has CNN been playing for the past year then?

[Edit: In retrospect I did think it was strange that they recast Robin Wright and barely featured Frank]

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to make a random joke about the state of The Good Place thread going forward but I just don't want to say anything that could possibly spoil anyone in any way. That was too good.

lelandjs posted:

Wait, what the gently caress has CNN been playing for the past year then?
I still haven't gotten around to watching House of Cards and nowadays I just feel like it would be too depressing next to real life.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Good Place is the best show on television.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Snak posted:

The Good Place is the best show on television.

Hell, it's true.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Hell, it's true.

They burned like five seasons of plot in 11 or so episodes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Timby posted:

Late as hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I wonder if they were late on starting production because of Willimon leaving.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Same month as Sens8 eh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Speaking of late, has anyone read an interview or anything with the creators of Rick and Morty explaining why they're dragging so hard on season 3?

It is literally impossible to search for Rick and Morty news on the internet without wading through ten thousand fake clickbait "RICK AND MORTY SEASON 3 RELEASE DATE REVEALED" sites because apparently the fanbase is all gullible morons who spend too much time on the internet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nthing the love for The Good Place. what a fantastic finale!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The season finale of The Good Place was absolutely loving mental in the best way imaginable. I mean there are no words.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Mick is really edging close to It's Always Sunny territory, in a good way. "Cat morphine! You know, morphine but for cats!"

It's remarkable how much they're getting away with- I know this is Fox and all, but there was some dark as hell poo poo in here. It's a good show is what I'm saying.

She's gettin' fuuuuuuuuu...rniture delivered.

edit: the clown episode, holy poo poo this episode holy poo poo

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 20, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Speaking of late, has anyone read an interview or anything with the creators of Rick and Morty explaining why they're dragging so hard on season 3?

It is literally impossible to search for Rick and Morty news on the internet without wading through ten thousand fake clickbait "RICK AND MORTY SEASON 3 RELEASE DATE REVEALED" sites because apparently the fanbase is all gullible morons who spend too much time on the internet.

Animation takes awhile Morty, hoooo*burp*oow do you think it's made, do you think that you just magically snap your fingers and all of the frames of the carefully drawn and colored episode appear out of thin air? No, Morty, TV shows are animated by Korean children, children like *belch* you Morty, they're chained to desks and forced to draw every single movement we make until their fingers are numb.

*Rick gives Morty the finger.*

You see that, Morty? Four Korean kids just got arthritis so I could flip you off. Animation is hosed, Morty, and it takes forever.

[Edit: Real answer is that Dan Harmon is a lazy perfectionist]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 20, 2017

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Oooooh, two Neil shows! Now if only we can get HBO to pick up a Sandman series.

I kind of wish they had made a TV adaptation of Neverwhere with the recent radio play cast.

Richard Mayhew: James McAvoy
Lady Door: Natalie Dormer
The Marquis de Carabas: David Harewood
The Angel Islington: Benedict Cumberbatch
Mr. Croup: Anthony Head
Mr. Vandemar: David Schofield
The Earl: Sir Christopher Lee

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm trying to put together a list of recent shows that I can check out. So far I've got:

Sneaky Pete
The OA

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't check out The OA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

edit: the clown episode, holy poo poo this episode holy poo poo

Yeah that's when I knew I was really on board with the show.

• Locked thread