Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Neurolimal posted:

Go a little further back. It's really difficult to miss the multi-page chat about egypt and who "deserves" to claim Egypt's history. It got to a point where Blackguy32 was pleading for people to actually talk about black issues instead.

The discussion I'm talking about happened on page 124 (before the flood of shitposting because how dare this thread be converted to a sub-forum). When did your discussion happen because I'm not finding it when running searches for the word "Egypt" going back prior to that (I gave up when I got back to page 90).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

OgreNoah posted:

That would be true if people wandering into the thread weren't purposefully arguing in bad faith constantly. Debate is completely pointless when one party has their fingers in their ears going la la la.

As someone who dissented in good faith, was candid about embarassing moments in my families history in an attempt to relate, and tried to leverage my own oppression to show that I wasn't trying to be adversarial, and got yelled at and the mod-of-the-time casually being bigoted @ me, you're kind of deluding yourself if you believe everyone who disagreed in the thread was doing so in bad faith.

I genuinely 100% dont care about the probations, I like having a long rap sheet. I'm more concerned with a thread claiming to be representative of black posters not questioning or calling out homophobia because it was made by 'their' mod. Mainly because I feel it does a disservice to black representation.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

teen witch posted:

Better fuckin' days with that wackadoo than this garbage.

That issue would actually be an interesting topic! Maybe not just in Negrotown catchall thread but yeah, I remember that as well.

I remember there being some discussion about hoteps in the Misogynoir thread, but nothing explicitly about black people trying to appropriate arab culture or whatever the gently caress Neuroliminal is on about.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

SealHammer posted:

The way you deal with shitheads in a debate is by out-debating them. I thought this was a given. Making an echo chamber because you don't know how to handle conflict is antithetical to the spirit of a discussion forum. If you don't take the bad with the good, your ideas trend in one direction and become incestuous rather quickly (see: US Democrat Primaries thread)

Debating only works when the other party is actually willing to listen and be educated. Many people in this thread have tried just that only to get concern trolled, tone policed or drive-by poo poo posted.

And again, this situation didn't happen because of the black posters surreptitiously organizing a "safe space" in D&D. We got sequestered to Negrotown after being told that black experiences aren't germane to x, y or z.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Now, I don't visit C-Spam but I'm pretty sure that they don't have a rule telling you that you'll get banned if you don't leave when one of these "white middle class weedlords" asks you to leave.

I dunno I've eaten a ton of bullshit 6ers for breaking that rule, unwritten though it may be. Then again I also didn't go whining to lowtax like a little child because I knew I was stirring poo poo.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Prude posted:

Uh could you not quote me in "bad faith" please, I was trying to have a serious moment in here before, but after the cold reception I've been leaving it well enough alone.

The premise of this thread is 'black posters' (or whoever claims to be one) feelings are more important than yours. Have fun

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It hasn't even been a loving day and already this subforum is filled with lovely spam threads.

I'm not surprised, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I remember there being some discussion about hoteps in the Misogynoir thread, but nothing explicitly about black people trying to appropriate arab culture or whatever the gently caress Neuroliminal is on about.

It was about claiming that Anicent Egyptians were black.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The discussion I'm talking about happened on page 124 (before the flood of shitposting because how dare this thread be converted to a sub-forum). When did your discussion happen because I'm not finding it when running searches for the word "Egypt" going back prior to that (I gave up when I got back to page 90).

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796995&userid=32136

Here's where the conversation started. It's very representative of the state of the thread pre-subforum, in that there really is a lit of great and informative posts...and then a lot of hysterics when someone disagrees.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Debating only works when the other party is actually willing to listen and be educated. Many people in this thread have tried just that only to get concern trolled, tone policed or drive-by poo poo posted.

And again, this situation didn't happen because of the black posters surreptitiously organizing a "safe space" in D&D. We got sequestered to Negrotown after being told that black experiences aren't germane to x, y or z.

Yeah, we talked about different perspectives in good faith in USPOL and asked "Hey, maybe do a bit with the drive by posting issue?" and uh, thats how Negrotown got started. All we asked for was a bit more moderation in USPOL, not any of this.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fados posted:

The premise of this thread is 'black posters' (or whoever claims to be one) feelings are more important than yours. Have fun

The premise is this revolutionary idea that black people have feelings.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Vanderdeath posted:

Debating only works when the other party is actually willing to listen and be educated.

Teaching is tonally different from debating. Teaching has the premise that you know more than your "student". If you go into every debate (and most people in these forums do) with that same premise then the people you're talking too shut down pretty quick.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

zegermans posted:

I dunno I've eaten a ton of bullshit 6ers for breaking that rule, unwritten though it may be. Then again I also didn't go whining to lowtax like a little child because I knew I was stirring poo poo.

Oh no, 6 hour probations! :cry:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So the part where it was true, citing specific dynasties, is being ignored?

Neurolimal posted:

Here's where the conversation started. It's very representative of the state of the thread pre-subforum, in that there really is a lit of great and informative posts...and then a lot of hysterics when someone disagrees.

Are you sure you posted the right link? Nothing in there is about the topic you claim it is about.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rakosi posted:

Teaching is tonally different from debating. Teaching has the premise that you know more than your "student". If you go into every debate (and most people in these forums do) with that same premise then the people you're talking too shut down pretty quick.

A black person in America probably knows more about being black in America than a white person though?

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Fados posted:

Thinking this should be a perfect example of where your problems lie, eqeta.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

esto es malo posted:

Just saying the posts explaining what happened will be heavily abbreviated and the whole story is real good. I can pm you later today if you're still interested

Sadly, I don't have PMs. I appreciate the offer though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Rakosi posted:

Dude, they're black people. Who is going to know more about black people issues than black people, you?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

So the part where it was true, citing specific dynasties, is being ignored?

Are you sure you posted the right link? Nothing in there is about the topic you claim it is about.

Woops, I hit ? Instead of #, here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796995&pagenumber=111&perpage=40#post468309243

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

A black person in America probably knows more about being black in America than a white person though?

Yeah I agree obviously. So stop pretending you're "debating" then.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Hey KM are you gonna drop the banhammer soon we only have like an hour of Obama's presidency left

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rakosi posted:

If a person is unwilling to listen to the experiences of black people in a designated black people thread then I'm going to assume they're just here to stir up some trouble. The posters in the thread run the gamut of black people in America and some abroad, so it's not like we're some sort of monolithic organization attempting to shut down outside influence either.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Rakosi posted:

Yeah I agree obviously. So stop pretending you're "debating" then.

Believe it or not there's debate that can happen beyond carefully explaining racism 101 for the thousandth time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Fados posted:

No, the premise of the thread is educating people about American PoC's culture and experiences, and not tolerating shitheads who want to dump on that premise.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Vanderdeath posted:

If a person is unwilling to listen to the experiences of black people in a designated black people thread then I'm going to assume they're just here to stir up some trouble. The posters in the thread run the gamut of black people in America and some abroad, so it's not like we're some sort of monolithic organization attempting to shut down outside influence either.

And, again, none of this would have been necessary if the discussion could have taken place in USPOL as was originally intended. This whole thing is an unnecessary shitshow.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

As someone who dissented in good faith, was candid about embarassing moments in my families history in an attempt to relate, and tried to leverage my own oppression to show that I wasn't trying to be adversarial, and got yelled at and the mod-of-the-time casually being bigoted @ me, you're kind of deluding yourself if you believe everyone who disagreed in the thread was doing so in bad faith.

I genuinely 100% dont care about the probations, I like having a long rap sheet. I'm more concerned with a thread claiming to be representative of black posters not questioning or calling out homophobia because it was made by 'their' mod. Mainly because I feel it does a disservice to black representation.

A few quick tips:

"Leveraging your own oppression" is probably not the best way for a white person to try to relate to people of color.
Calling out KM for being "bigoted" at you is literally accusing her of "reverse racism". Perhaps at some point you will understand why this is a bad thing that makes people (regardless of race) angry with you.
And finally, perhaps actual black people are more qualified to determine the way the should represent themselves than a white person is.

If you want to start a separate thread for arguing about the correct way that black people should correctly represent themselves, either politically or on the forums, make one. Please stop posting here.

Tobermory fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Yeah, sorry, there is still no appropriation there. A simple google search about the Black Pharoahs will give you National Geographic articles and all sorts of other sources backing up that yes, there were actually black egyptians and yes, they did rule that country and build pyramids.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Neurolimal posted:

Could you maybe quote the "hysterics?"

It sure looks like people were debating and discussing, and had some different viewpoints that didn't exactly agree, but as far as I can see nobody melted down and started spamming pics of white kids in blackface or anything like that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tobermory posted:

A few quick tips:

"Leveraging your own oppression" is probably not the best way for a white person to try to relate to people of color.

The point was to show that I also suffered from prejudice and apathetic moderates.

quote:

Calling out a KM for being "bigoted" at you is literally accusing her of "reverse racism". Perhaps at some point you will understand why this is a bad thing that makes people (regardless of race) angry with you.

If you know so little about the topic that you're referring to the wrong mod involved, maybe its a good idea to start reading or taking opposingposts in good faith?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Plenty of ancient Egyptians were black though, that whole conversation started when someone freaked out over Eddie Murphy playing a pharaoh in a Michael Jackson music video because "Pharaoh's arent :airquote: black! :airquote:"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SealHammer posted:

The way you deal with shitheads in a debate is by out-debating them. I thought this was a given.

No, I'm sorry but this is a loving fantasy. The shitheads in question aren't going into a debate convinced the best ideas will win, they're doing it because it's a platform for their shithead ideas.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah, sorry, there is still no appropriation there. A simple google search about the Black Pharoahs will give you National Geographic articles and all sorts of other sources backing up that yes, there were actually black egyptians and yes, they did rule that country and build pyramids.

That's one dynasty that lasted less than a century. "Ancient Egypt" covers a span of three thousand years.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Egypt and Africa might be a cool topic to discuss in a totally other thread!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

That's one dynasty that lasted less than a century. "Ancient Egypt" covers a span of three thousand years.

Man they really got poo poo done then if they built world's tallest building for 3,800 years! I'm sure you were meaning to imply that it's amazing how great this dynasty was, and weren't trying to minimize them at all!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

Plenty of ancient Egyptians were black though

There are black skinned pharaohs. They are egyptian.

Trevor Noah actually had some good standup on this topic, where he first came to america and a black american was talking to him like he was hispanic. He corrected him and pointed out that he was african, and he started saying stuff like "oh man you're from the homeland respect man i always wanted to know my roots y'know". IIRC he equated it to white americans with nothing in relation culturally to native americans taking a faint strain of blood relation to start wearing feathers and loin cloths. It's a weird yearning for other countries' culture, rather than embracing ones own rich history.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Vanderdeath posted:

But nobody forced posters to only post in the "blackness" thread when they wanted to discuss identity politics. The relevance of identity politics in any given issue is something that is going to be debated, and you have to be prepared to debate it at length if you bring it up. That's the nature of discourse.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Tobermory posted:

Calling out a KM for being "bigoted" at you is literally accusing her of "reverse racism". Perhaps at some point you will understand why this is a bad thing that makes people (regardless of race) angry with you.

Hahaha awesome. This forum is going places fast

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

The point was to show that I also suffered from prejudice and apathetic moderates.

If you know so little about the topic that you're referring to the wrong mod involved, maybe its a good idea to start reading or taking opposingposts in good faith?

Again....a white person demonstrating that they have also suffered from prejudice is not the best way for them to try to relate to people of color.

And I have, in fact, read your posts. I apologize for assuming that you were referring to this probation for shitposting in this thread:

Neurolimal posted:

*stoically gazes back at the king and his army as sad bagpipes begin to play* nein, tyrante

Rather than to this probation for shitposting in this thread:

Neurolimal posted:

The OP also says to relax, and if you do then you may find that you can still talk about black issues just fine in spite of me lurking, like you have before.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

SealHammer posted:

But nobody forced posters to only post in the "blackness" thread when they wanted to discuss identity politics. The relevance of identity politics in any given issue is something that is going to be debated, and you have to be prepared to debate it at length if you bring it up. That's the nature of discourse.

They actually did force posters to do just that, by punishing them when they discussed it elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

teen witch posted:

Egypt and Africa might be a cool topic to discuss in a totally other thread!

So now that this is a subforum, is this thread supposed to be the "USA Black people thread" and another the "international black thread"?

• Locked thread