Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure this is the same guy from the beginning of the chapter who explicitly wasn't the good doctor.

That guy had brown hair.

Still probably not Doc though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wow, Sam and Fuzzy is going well. Yet another twist that makes total sense, that I should of seen coming and just... wasn't ready for.

I wonder if this is genuinely the end for Sin?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cryophage posted:

That guy had brown hair.

Still probably not Doc though.

Look at the next couple pages. It is most definitely not brown hair.

This most recent page is indeed the same dude.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, has anyone heard from Morbi as of late? I'm itching for more Poppy, and I wanna know if he's alright after he posted about being sick around the end of the year. :ohdear:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, has anyone heard from Morbi as of late? I'm itching for more Poppy, and I wanna know if he's alright after he posted about being sick around the end of the year. :ohdear:

They post in the other webcomics thread off and on.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Woah Jippy

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

Look at the next couple pages. It is most definitely not brown hair.

This most recent page is indeed the same dude.

They're both blond, but not the same hairstyle. I'm not sure enough time passed for his hair to grow that much -- especially if he's been handling a lot of hair removal cream due to the ongoing Bunyan epidemics.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

neogeo0823 posted:

Morbi posted on their tumblr within the last week, and the last Poppy update-related post was two weeks ago, mentioned not being sick anymore, and said updates would resume in a week or two, so it's likely nothing to worry about (yet!).

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I was dealing with a lot of heavy personal issues recently and it made working on art an absolutely miserable affair for the past couple of months.
Things finally cleared up yesterday morning though, and I'll be able to get my workload cleared out in time to get Poppy updating again by the start of February.

I've also started writing a novel. It's been very cathartic being able to write a scene in ten minutes that would take ten hours to do in comic form.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well as long as you ain't dead yet. Have fun with the book. I'll keep waiting for more Poppy.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'd be pretty happy if we never see Dr Mcninja's face in this epilogue.

Unless he's a Chuck.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'd be pretty happy if we never see Dr Mcninja's face in this epilogue.

Unless he's a Chuck.

Well there you go, you never do. Now as to whether he's a Chuck or just using the last name as an alias is up in the air. Very nice ending, I'd say.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
God I'm going to miss Dr. McNinja :qq:.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pick posted:

He took his name :unsmith:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

:same:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Regy Rusty posted:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Y'Know, I remember when Hastings registered here as Dr McNinja (I think that was his username) and he'd draw comic battles with Chickensuit and stuff, and I never thought it'd end up like that. It was obviously someone hanging onto their first "original content do not steal" character from junior high school, but I guess I was wrong. Good on you guy. Nice call back to "we never hire night janitors" too.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Huh. So I guess in the end he did turn out to be goodrich. Kind of.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
woah doctor

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Huh, I never knew Hastings named Doc's parents after his own mom and dad.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Regy Rusty posted:

TwoPair posted:

Well there you go, you never do. Now as to whether he's a Chuck or just using the last name as an alias is up in the air. Very nice ending, I'd say.

God the fact that we'll never know is going to bug me on and off for years, probably. Not because it's a bad ending, but just because I'm an anal loose end hating nerd.

Other than that, I expected a "twist" like that at some point, and agree it was a very nice ending. As frustrating as Dr. McNinja was to read at a couple of points, I overall have enjoyed it very much and I'm glad I decided to see it to the end. Awesome that it led Hastings into a career, too.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mind over Matter posted:

God the fact that we'll never know is going to bug me on and off for years, probably. Not because it's a bad ending, but just because I'm an anal loose end hating nerd.

Other than that, I expected a "twist" like that at some point, and agree it was a very nice ending. As frustrating as Dr. McNinja was to read at a couple of points, I overall have enjoyed it very much and I'm glad I decided to see it to the end. Awesome that it led Hastings into a career, too.
I think if he was a Chuck Goodrich, we would have gotten some hint of it from the dozens of times he met another Chuck. Or from Franz Rayner.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Oh nah, I don't think he was Chuck. And it really, really doesn't matter whether that's his real last name or an alias. The ending works either way, and it's fine. I'm just curious as gently caress because I am like that.

Edit: VP Judy is still a wonderful concept that I love.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot, see downthead.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 20, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Well Chuck is from the future so it's entirely possible this is some kind of self justifying time loop that justifies Doc taking the name Goodrich and having a son who IS Chuck :tinfoil:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Mind over Matter posted:

Oh nah, I don't think he was Chuck. And it really, really doesn't matter whether that's his real last name or an alias. The ending works either way, and it's fine. I'm just curious as gently caress because I am like that

"McNinja" has always been the actual family last name, not an alias for something (his father's name is 'Dan McNinja', Mitzi took on the last name when she married, etc), so it's pretty clear that he took on Goodrich as a new alias in this epilogue. Doc only had a hidden first name because of the ghost wizard thing.

I've really loved this comic. Repeatedly taking the most ridiculous premises imaginable, but telling good stories with them, making it funny without ever feeling like the terrible meme-y humor you'd expect (because the humor doesn't just come from the ridiculous setup, the setup is taken somewhat seriously and the humor comes from elsewhere). It's an accomplishment.

It's never been my absolute favorite comic in any way, but it's been consistently very good for years, and I'll definitely feel its absence.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 20, 2017

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my webcomic says toot toot and accelerates sharply off the brink of a cliff. fare well, i whisper to you as i plummet to the rocky nadir... of your rear end in a top hat

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Ditocoaf posted:

"McNinja" has always been the actual family last name, not an alias for something (his father's name is 'Dan McNinja', Mitzi took on the last name when she married, etc), so it's pretty clear that he took on Goodrich as a new alias in this epilogue. Doc only had a hidden first name because of the ghost wizard thing.

...wow I'm an idiot of course you're right. I got so caught up in thinking about what-if that I didn't think about the actual.

Thank you.

Raivin
Jan 9, 2002
Pillbug
Can't believe we've been reading that comic for over 12 years now. It will be greatly missed. If you're still lurking - thanks for all the laughs, Chris.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Raivin posted:

Can't believe we've been reading that comic for over 12 years now. It will be greatly missed. If you're still lurking - thanks for all the laughs, Chris.

:same: The first panel I can remember reading is dated as just before my 18th birthday. I'll be 29 this year. Crazy to think about how long I've been reading this silly comic, it was never a huge part of my life but it's been my one constant "internet thing" in all that time.

Thanks Doc.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It always seemed that deep down, Doc (calling him Patrick feels weird) always liked being a Doctor more then being a Ninja, so it's nice he got a happy ending out if it, even if his family didn't.

Also Chris if you are reading this, thank you for creating one of the two web comics I have actually read start to finish in my life.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in the ending. I was expecting a really epic final battle, there was the Game of Death setup, and...it ended up being a super anti-climax.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I thought the climax itself was pretty satisfying, but the epilogue kind of fizzled for me. Oh well though. It's somewhere like 2000 pages of premium entertainment for free, I'm not too broken up if the last half dozen pages aren't a home run.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You know there were times in the long time I read Dr. McNinja that I was less invested in it than others. Some of the stories didn't interest me as much as others and sometimes the update schedule or the pacing caused me to lose track of details of what was going on.

But in recent months leading up to the end I reread a bunch of the comic to refresh my memory and it all really reminded me of why I liked it in the first place. I'm glad I stuck with it to the end. It was good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I hope we get an epilogue of Doc Patrick marrying, having a boy, and naming him Charles.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I like that McNinja ended. Not because I wanted it to end, but more good webcomic should be able to reach an end most people are happy with.

It has been a great read and I'll miss the updates, though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

I hope we get an epilogue of Doc Patrick marrying, having a boy, and naming him Charles.

What's interesting is that, if this universe does produce another Chuck Goodrich, he won't actually be able to time travel to fix things. The time portal is gone. What does a non-time-travelling Chuck Goodrich end up like?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

What's interesting is that, if this universe does produce another Chuck Goodrich, he won't actually be able to time travel to fix things. The time portal is gone. What does a non-time-travelling Chuck Goodrich end up like?

Hopefully happy

E: and alive

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nimby posted:

I like that McNinja ended. Not because I wanted it to end, but more good webcomic should be able to reach an end most people are happy with.

It has been a great read and I'll miss the updates, though.

I'll drink to that. It's rare to see a webcomic come to a conclusion rather than just stop updating when the author runs out of steam, so it's greatly satisfying to read an actual ending even at the cost of a comic I've been reading for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Thirding that sentiment. I have much respect for a web comic ending on its own terms instead of petering out over the course of years, all front page with a news post from three years ago saying "We're finally back and updating regularly again!"

• Locked thread