Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Reddit said the Dragons were the ships the China server got because they didn't have the rights to do the ARP ships there, so it's all that for an off-brand replica.

My stealth Chapayev gained an extra km of stealth firing buffer for free with the skill changes, because CE got easier to reach, yet now it's spending most of most battles spotted, because there seems to always be a destroyer close enough to spot, but not close enough to be spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, I suspected with the ease to 10 points that the game was going to be even worse with stealth firing thanks to the ease of access to CE.

Also, flamu posted up a video specifically on the belfast. He is using ifhe and adrenaline rush on it. The showcase game is a 232k loss in it. It was a t9 match with BBs on his team afraid of any and all engagements.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQbbjs9WvbI

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Yeah, I suspected with the ease to 10 points that the game was going to be even worse with stealth firing thanks to the ease of access to CE.

Also, flamu posted up a video specifically on the belfast. He is using ifhe and adrenaline rush on it. The showcase game is a 232k loss in it. It was a t9 match with BBs on his team afraid of any and all engagements.

I think the problem there is that it makes a Belfast only captain which is not entirely useful.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Iceshade posted:

EU doesn't get 30 days like everyone else to complete this. They get 20. :downs:

EU event updated, they also get 30 days now.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Okay, it's cool that you can take a top tier captain skill with only 10 skill points now, but there is definitely a drawback.

It seems to me that the 4pt skill almost everyone is taking first is CE. The amount of stealth firing, and the need to close to absurdly close ranges in some ships just so you can stay in contact, seems to have vastly increased.

Edit

Wargaming, if you were "really bothered" by stealth firing you probably should have made the changes you were going to make to address it before you made it really easy to get CE on a captain, AND structure captain skills in such a way that taking multiple of the highest tier skills was possible.

The later made CE very attractive as a second or third 4pt skill for captains who would never have taken the skill under the old system.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 20, 2017

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
80 matches - eighty good matches too - for another knock-off Myoko, cosplaying captain, 20 captain trainers and a cosmetic flag?

At least when anime was involved you could fool me. This is just shameless stuff.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Don't forget the port and commander slot!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Reddit said the Dragons were the ships the China server got because they didn't have the rights to do the ARP ships there, so it's all that for an off-brand replica.

My stealth Chapayev gained an extra km of stealth firing buffer for free with the skill changes, because CE got easier to reach, yet now it's spending most of most battles spotted, because there seems to always be a destroyer close enough to spot, but not close enough to be spotted.

Chapayev's radar goes out to 1.5 km past its detectability radius, so if you're staying constantly spotted by destroyers you can't see you're doing it wrong. I've also basically never seen a destroyer player who doesn't flee when they get lit up if it's open water.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

Chapayev's radar goes out to 1.5 km past its detectability radius, so if you're staying constantly spotted by destroyers you can't see you're doing it wrong. I've also basically never seen a destroyer player who doesn't flee when they get lit up if it's open water.

I meant when firing, when my detectability range (with CE, CSM, and camo) goes out to 14.7km. I'm still on the stock hull, so I don't have radar, but even then I'm reading the radar only goes out to 11km, which isn't enough to detect a destroyer spotting me from 13km when I'm shooting, even when I've got a useless Fletcher, who managed to get gunned to death by a Yagumo while I was also shooting the Yagumo and hitting it every salvo because he apparently missed it every loving time, 5km ahead of me in what should be a spotting position.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 20, 2017

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

I had a game last night where I was top tier in the Missouri and there was an Izumo and FDG on my team, and they absolutely refused to push up to give me a break from tanking. Izumo was trying to snipe things from 20km, Freddy was busy hiding behind an island taking shots with his forward turrets at whatever off in the distance. My first 3 games/losses of the night, all of which I was in an uptiered cruiser, were games in which the BB were completely allergic to taking any damage (and coincidentally complete rolls). Another Missouri game, I was uptiered to a T10 game on the Ice Islands map. We had the edge on cap points and ships but we were down on actual caps 2-1. We'd just wiped the resistance at cap C when our GK, surviving DD and Minotaur decided to take themselves out of the fight to travel up the edge of the map looking for the enemy CV instead of moving into B with me and a Donskoi. B is where the rest of the enemy ships were and those guys essentially threw the match by not participating when and where it mattered. Post battle report showed all of our T10 ships in the bottom 1/2 base xp score.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 20, 2017

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
At this point, DONGS is full.

We discussed on Discord last night, where the majority of us have been hanging out for a year and a half playing each other. We would like to make sure everyone who has been active and playing get in DONGS first.

My guess is that they will let us "ally" clans in the future, and we'll certainly need more than one clan. Wargamming has offered to pay demon's clan since they hosed us out of SEAMN.

They want three suggestions, and probably needs to be PG-13... but hey free 2500 doubloons.

So names ... go.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sailors Advocating Islamic Liberal Suffrage [SAILS]

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Hazdoc posted:

Oh, also to note. IFHE is actually fairly good for increasing your fire damage output. Why? HE shells that fail to pen (or only hit via AoE) have a harshly reduced chance of causing a fire. The full chance to cause fire, however, is applied on a penetrating hit. Hence, why a decrease in fire chance but an increase in the number of HE pens can boost the number of fires you set.

So that's why my Kutuzov with IFHE + DE feels like it's starting more fires.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MoraleHazard posted:

So that's why my Kutuzov with IFHE + DE feels like it's starting more fires.

Note: there was a dev interview where they said this isn't true.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Vengarr posted:

Note: there was a dev interview where they said this isn't true.

I didn't seem to notice a decrease.... I know it's all RNG, but I did get tons of fires in my Zao still. I have since spec'd away from the skill.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

jownzy posted:

I didn't seem to notice a decrease.... I know it's all RNG, but I did get tons of fires in my Zao still. I have since spec'd away from the skill.

Well, it's only a 1% decrease if you have DE as well. And IJN cruisers have crazy base fire rates anyway.

I'm wondering whether to take BFT or BOS as my tier-3 skill on my Scharnhorst captain. I really want Fire Prevention/Manual Secondaries since my preferred playstyle is to wreck poo poo up close. I can either take BFT and AFT to really pimp my secondaries (and AA, lol), BOS and CE for survivability and shenanigans, or split the difference with BOS and AFT.

Or maybe DE would be a better choice for secondary spec than BFT? Applying that 2% fire chance to secondaries seems cuh-razy.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 20, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

jownzy posted:

152mm (and 155mm lol Mogami) is where the skill really shines. I don't think Zao HE has had any problem penetrating and doing great damage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
First game post patch that I took the Kutuzov out I racked up 21 fires, which is a lot for me even in that ship.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For an Aoba is it worth going for Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert and IFHE for the first 10 points?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Aramoro posted:

For an Aoba is it worth going for Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Demolition Expert and IFHE for the first 10 points?

Priority Target is bad. Probably want Preventative Maintenance instead so that your fragile IJN ship bits don't break as often.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Priority Target is bad. Probably want Preventative Maintenance instead so that your fragile IJN ship bits don't break as often.

Priority Target is really good on cruisers, I've got it on all of mine so far or is there a reason you think it's specifically bad on the Aoba?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Honestly, for cruisers I'd say Direction Center is better (if the line has catapult fighters, at least, which IJN cruisers do), but both are decent picks.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AfroSquirrel posted:

I keep getting contrary reports on whether PM protects secondary/AA mounts as well as primary modules (turrets, engine, rudder, torpedo tubes).

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Vengarr posted:

I keep getting contrary reports on whether PM protects secondary/AA mounts as well as primary modules (turrets, engine, rudder, torpedo tubes).

it does not. PM only affects the incapacitation threshold, which secondaries/aa mounts do not have.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Incapacitate me irl with high explosive armour piercing shells.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, for cruisers I'd say Direction Center is better (if the line has catapult fighters, at least, which IJN cruisers do), but both are decent picks.

Why would you say catapult fighters are better? I can usually mitigate or dodge torps using consumables and standard battleship practices. What I can't always tell is if I should duck back behind the island so that the BBs don't delete me just because they can.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Tips Fedora [MLADY]
How do I use torps? [PINK]

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Krazy Kitakami Killaz, KKK

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Straight outta Benson [SNOOP]

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

Straight outta Benson [SNOOP]

Snoop Dog wasn't in the NWA

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
What would be the best first level skill for a Kutuzov captain? I don't like Flamu's suggestion of Priority Target, but none of the other options are exactly leaping out at me as obvious choices either.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
From what I can tell, IFHE shells don't benefit the Molotov much. But they turn the Schrors into a terrifying hellbeast provided it doesn't get vaporized early on.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Soup Inspector posted:

What would be the best first level skill for a Kutuzov captain? I don't like Flamu's suggestion of Priority Target, but none of the other options are exactly leaping out at me as obvious choices either.

Priority Target. The knowledge advantage you get without having to zoom in on each enemy ship is so good.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Soup Inspector posted:

Preventative maintenance seems like the best default tier 1 skill. Reductions in module incapacitatations doesn't "hurt" any ship.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

Why don't you like Priority Target?

It doesn't have a Catapult fighter so your only other choice is Preventative Maintence really.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Priority Target. The knowledge advantage you get without having to zoom in on each enemy ship is so good.

Aramoro posted:

Why don't you like Priority Target?

It doesn't have a Catapult fighter so your only other choice is Preventative Maintence really.

Maybe I'm underestimating just how useful it is, but for the most part I've never really found myself really wishing that I knew just how many people are trying to kill me at any given moment. Is there something I'm missing?

ZombieLenin posted:

Preventative maintenance seems like the best default tier 1 skill. Reductions in module incapacitatations doesn't "hurt" any ship.

Makes sense, thanks.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

Maybe I'm underestimating just how useful it is, but for the most part I've never really found myself really wishing that I knew just how many people are trying to kill me at any given moment. Is there something I'm missing?

Priority target is nice to help decide when you can make a turn when spotted or need to wiggle to cover or go into stealth, or at the very least make peace with your impending demise. If you're already good at anticipating these things then PM might serve you better, but I've been using it on all my cruisers so far and I quite like it. I will probably come back at some point and take PM alongside it on the 10 pt captains I'm using, but I took PT first.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Thundercakes posted:

Priority target is nice to help decide when you can make a turn when spotted or need to wiggle to cover or go into stealth, or at the very least make peace with your impending demise. If you're already good at anticipating these things then PM might serve you better, but I've been using it on all my cruisers so far and I quite like it. I will probably come back at some point and take PM alongside it on the 10 pt captains I'm using, but I took PT first.

Ah, okay, now I think I get it. At least I can probably mess around with it and see if it's worth it or not. Thanks for explaining!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just applied for [GOON] on EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm honestly torn on IPHE for my USSR cruiser captain. It's definitely a great skill for Schors/Chapayev, but it provides effectively no benefit for Moskva, and an ignorable one for Donskoi. Maybe if/when decide to rebuy/keep Schors/Chapayev at some point after I finish her (currently about 3/4s through Chapayev), and throw a dedicated captain on, but for just grinding through the line I'm not sure. I'm not exactly swimming in doubloons either so I prefer to avoid respeccing.

As for my thoughts on Priority Target in general, I just personally don't find it that useful. With the exception of invisifire, I can generally work out roughly how many ships are aiming at me already, simply by watching their guns - and counting time between volleys, and even with invisifire it doesn't help identify what class of ship is aiming at you, which is what I generally use to make judgement calls in that situation - and I can generally do that simply watching what's being fired at me.

Also, given how it works, it can provide false positives or not warn you before you're being fired upon in the first place. To break that down, it works by whether people have you selected as their target or not, but just sweeping your reticule across a ship will occasionally target it regardless of where your guns are pointed or who you're actually interested in shooting, and on the flip side I'll occasionally fire on a ship as soon as I target them, simply due to how I switch targets. Priority Target doesn't really benefit me in either of these situations.

Different people have different playstyles and thus process things differently, and there are certainly edge cases it'd be helpful even outside that, but on the whole I just don't personally find that specific number particularly useful.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 20, 2017