Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

He doesn't look like spaghetti any more. He is at least penne.

If he is an anery phase corn the yellow is typical, at least by the face and down the neck.. Handsome snake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Hey herp forum, I have a stupid question. Where can I buy a brookesia chameleon. My girlfriend is a massive herper and has a ton of herps. But she has always wanted a brookesia. But I have looked online and can never find any for sale or they're sold out. I know the country they are from is trying to raise a captive bred stock but I am not sure. Any help?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'd keep an eye on here, this is probably the biggest reptile classified site online. I've seek Brookesias pop up in the pet trade from time to time, but they're rare. Also it's winter, so not much is breeding right now, though I'm not sure if Brookesia are seasonal breeders or not.

http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=52

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey guys anyone here have any info on dry docking a yellow belly slider? Poor guy has to wait overnight for the vet for a prolapse and I'm worried about him a) futsing about and cutting up his cloaca or b) gettting too cold in his container.

Atm he's chilling out on a bed of kitchen paper in a container with some shade over so he doesn't want to climb out. I got that far on the phone to the vet before I got cut off and they'd shut for the night by the time I got back on.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shoehead posted:

Hey guys anyone here have any info on dry docking a yellow belly slider? Poor guy has to wait overnight for the vet for a prolapse and I'm worried about him a) futsing about and cutting up his cloaca or b) gettting too cold in his container.

Atm he's chilling out on a bed of kitchen paper in a container with some shade over so he doesn't want to climb out. I got that far on the phone to the vet before I got cut off and they'd shut for the night by the time I got back on.
I had this happen to a leopard gecko after hours. I ended up staying up all night and periodically moistening the prolapse with an eye dropper (as well as an application of antibacterial cream like neosporin). I was using sugar water (read that online), though the vet suggested saline would work too.

You may want to do the same thing and just hang out with him near something warm.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I started this reptile-keeping journey with one pastel royal python, laughing at the people who said you never really get just one snake.. I thought one's more than enough. Now I have two royal pythons, a crested gecko, two leopard geckos and over Christmas I got a baby Brazilian rainbow boa. Where does this end, exactly?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Turns out my little guy is actually female! She was operated on yesterday and from what the vet's told me is doing well.

I'm using the opportunity to re do some of her setup

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I swear when the heaters fail, why do they all go at once? Every loving undertank heater has decided to fall loose over the weekend, so the balls were without heat for two nights. Trying to tape the fuckers back on with foil tape doesn't seem to last long. What does everyone else use?

I loving wish we could go back to using heat lights or ceramic heat emitters but some of my mom's cats just loving loooove sitting on top of snake cages. I spray the poo poo out of them when I see it (and so far only one lid had broken and no one got hurt, thank all the snake gods) but it really would be nice if the loving heat mats stuck for more than six months!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My Yellow Belly came home today, she's a bit pink and sore around the back and she hasn't eaten in a while, but hopefully her antibiotics do their thing and she gets comfy enough to start eating. Tried hand feeding her earlier, which is how she usually likes to start a meal but she wasn't impressed.

The people in the vets said she was nuts and climbed all over the place and was generally bawdy, so at least she had some fun :3:

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth
Hello! I got a few Axolotls this week and after making sure they settled in well, I would like to name them. I hear you are good with names.
Unsexed juveniles 1 gfp dirty Lucy, 1 gfp Lucy and a melanoid.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

tessdaterrible posted:

Hello! I got a few Axolotls this week and after making sure they settled in well, I would like to name them. I hear you are good with names.

Inekn, Blinken, and Nod.

I also offer sand boa names: Hero, Nemesis, and Damsel's Revenge.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I ever got a snake it would be called Ropey Dope.

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth

Cowslips Warren posted:

Inekn, Blinken, and Nod.

I also offer sand boa names: Hero, Nemesis, and Damsel's Revenge.
Those are the frekin cutest names suggested thus far.

Eifert Posting posted:

If I ever got a snake it would be called Ropey Dope.

That would be a great name!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

One of my coworkers told me I should name one of my baby pythons "Monty" - like it had never been done before. My husband and I talked about it and decided next snake we get is going to be named C. Montgomery Burns for maximum nerdiness.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I attempted to start a mealworm colony to feed lizard

There are tons of these brown oval things. I have no idea what they are -- they don't look like a phase of life for mealworms, but I'm not seeing any other bugs in the cage.

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009
As far as I know the worms are actually larvae of those beetles, so those are just the 'grown-ups'.

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth

Scorvi posted:

As far as I know the worms are actually larvae of those beetles, so those are just the 'grown-ups'.

The black Beatles are the adults, the white or tan pupa are there and some peanut looking things.
Idk what are, what are you using for food/moisture? Just the potatoes and oats?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

tessdaterrible posted:

The black Beatles are the adults, the white or tan pupa are there and some peanut looking things.
Idk what are, what are you using for food/moisture? Just the potatoes and oats?
The moisture is cut potatoes, the substrate is a mixture of corn meal, wheat, and some old cereal I put through a blender.

"Peanut looking" is a better way to describe it. I didn't put any peanut-looking things in, and I doubt they're plants ;)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

tessdaterrible posted:

My axolotl is called Maxolotl, and my first one was Jesus IV of Charford.

My partner and I decided on Max since it's a gender neutral name and we didn't think it was fair to push a gender on the little guy before he was grown... I am also a fan of using names traditionally used for fluffy things for very much non-fluffy things. Like Rex or Fido. Alternatively, old people names like Alfred or Maud.

Also I'm gonna use this as an excuse to show off Max!

When we first got him a couple of years ago:

And a couple of weeks ago:

The difference astounds me every time! The white rock behind him in the first pic is the now sandy-looking one in the second. He was so tiny :kimchi:

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 22, 2017

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

tessdaterrible posted:

Larry, Moe, Curly. The Three Stooges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvx0AS1h2us

tessdaterrible
Nov 4, 2015

Some Weird Sloth

ShadowHawk posted:

The moisture is cut potatoes, the substrate is a mixture of corn meal, wheat, and some old cereal I put through a blender.

"Peanut looking" is a better way to describe it. I didn't put any peanut-looking things in, and I doubt they're plants ;)

It looks like wax or silkworm pupa but you said you only put in meal worms? Not ones from a variety pack where eggs could have been mixed in from another variety?
Also just a tip if you don't already know, putting them through a screen and seperating the pupa from the darkling beatles and worms and discarding the dead worms will give you a better yeild. The darkling beatles will eat their own pupa. The dead worms will make stench.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

tessdaterrible posted:

It looks like wax or silkworm pupa but you said you only put in meal worms? Not ones from a variety pack where eggs could have been mixed in from another variety?
Also just a tip if you don't already know, putting them through a screen and seperating the pupa from the darkling beatles and worms and discarding the dead worms will give you a better yeild. The darkling beatles will eat their own pupa. The dead worms will make stench.
Perhaps one of the original mealworm containers at the store was mislabeled. All the larva I've seen look like mealworms, but I'm not sure I'd be able to tell them all apart.

As I understand it the beetles will only eat the larva if they run out of water, so if I put/change the veggies regularly it should be acceptable.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hi, herp thread! Meet Elmore!

I have some questions and I hope you guys might have some answers.

After wanting a lizard for ten years and researching the crap out of what species would be the best to adopt, I got Elmore. I've had him just over a month. This photo was taken the day after I brought him home, and you can see how he's just chilling in my palm. I'd estimate he's probably about 2 months old.

Here's the thing, though: I also have 2 cats. I originally had Elmore's enclosure set up in my kitchen, and though I tried to keep the cats away, well, they're cats. They just don't give a gently caress. And I'm gone a lot of the day, so I'm not around to police them. They spent a ton of time getting on the table where the enclosure was and pawing at the glass. After a few weeks of this, I noticed Elmore getting skittish and spending more and more time in his hiding spots (he has a couple of cave-like structures in his tank). So last week I moved his enclosure to a bedroom that I can keep the cats locked out of.

And now we get to the meat of the problem: Elmore does not want to be picked up anymore. And on the off chance that I am able to pick him up, there's no way I could hold him like you see in that photo -- he'd bolt the first chance he got. He gets defensive and puffs up when I put my hand in the tank, but I can occasionally stroke his head if I approach him slowly enough. I've been all over different beardie websites trying to figure out what to do -- some say they need to be held at least 15 minutes a day, one site I read says it should be more like an hour. But on the other hand, I don't want to traumatize him by picking him up if he clearly doesn't want to be held. I should probably also mention he went through a molt about 2 weeks ago, so I'm also wondering if maybe he's just super-sensitive to touch right now.

So my questions are these: Did I screw up by moving the tank to a more secure location? Am I screwing up by not picking him up every day even if he clearly doesn't want to be picked up? Ultimately I really want him to be chill enough to ride around on my shoulder or just sit on me when I'm watching TV or whatever. Am I overthinking things and is this all just going to take time for him to adjust? He's so awesome and I'm so glad I finally have a lizard, and I just want to be a really good lizard-mom, but I'm afraid I'm doing everything wrong.

Edit: I came home from work today and found evidence that he may still be molting, so is it most likely that he doesn't want to be touched?

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 1, 2017

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
Hi Herp Thread this dork fell asleep in the bath (he woke up when I opened the door to take a picture)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So i finally got a herp. My mother works at a greenhouse and found a tiny froglet and i have had him for about a month and half. so i have in pet conatiner with moss and damp paper towls and been feeding him wingless fruit flies and he is slowly getting bigger. my girlfriend thinks he might be greenhouse Frog. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_frog

he is cute little fella. havent named him/her yet. waiting to see if its a boy or girl so i can come up with a name.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Anyone in the Baltimore/DC area want a couple of 10 gal, 20 gal, 40 gal, or 55 gal tanks? I've been posting them on CL and Facebook, and apparently you can't give these things away. All but the 55 come with lids, and they're in normal condition, no cracks or anything. My ball got another RI this winter, and I moved him to a custom enclosure, so I'm getting rid of all of the glass tanks I've apparently hoarded over the years.

I'd donate them, but my little guy's rescue closed down ~7 years ago. If anyone knows of another place to get rid of tanks, I'm all ears.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I'll take them if nobody else wants them. Worst case scenario I give em to my mom for use at the rescue she volunteers at.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'm interested in getting a snake and I'm presently trying to figure out the best way to acquire a good setup without spending an absolute ton of money. I had a couple questions:

Is a 10 gallon glass tank going to be large enough for a smaller milk snake? (Everything I've read suggests milk snakes as a good starting snake)

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a tank secondhand off Craigslist or whatever?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Reene posted:

Is a 10 gallon glass tank going to be large enough for a smaller milk snake? (Everything I've read suggests milk snakes as a good starting snake)

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a tank secondhand off Craigslist or whatever?

10 gallons is a good starting point for an ittybitty, though you'll want to upgrade to something larger within a year or so.

There's usually no problems getting tanks second-hand if you're thorough with cleaning and disinfecting before housing your baby. Watch out for damaged lids or latches as snakes can be kind of escape artists sometimes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Reene posted:

I'm interested in getting a snake and I'm presently trying to figure out the best way to acquire a good setup without spending an absolute ton of money. I had a couple questions:

If you can get the zilla snake kit with the 20L tank, go for it. The lids slide in on a track and latch into place so your snake won't escape. Petco should have it for 50% off until the end of this week.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I'll check into that first then. Thanks!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So i got two new frogs both from my GF.

first one is a baby dumpy frog. not sure on its name yet. kinda waiting to see if its male or female.

and here is the Mozambique rain frog, he is pretty friendly for a burrowing frog. comes out at night.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and here is the Mozambique rain frog, he is pretty friendly for a burrowing frog. comes out at night.

Holy poo poo. those are available in the trade? Normally I'm not into amphibians, but those guys are the derpiest animal in the world. I'm assuming they're imported, do they seem to be in good health?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Just a quick google search shows a few places selling them. None that I'd actually trust them or anything. Who the hell actually buys from Backwater Reptiles?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Knormal posted:

Holy poo poo. those are available in the trade? Normally I'm not into amphibians, but those guys are the derpiest animal in the world. I'm assuming they're imported, do they seem to be in good health?

i bought him at a reptile show. he has been healthy so far. most of the time he is underground at and pops out to either walk about or eat a cricket. he is pretty friendly too, sits and walks about on my hand(doesnt seem stressed either, doesnt puff up or bark in anger.) the only worry i have is some other guy at the reptile show(not the seller, who had a bunch) said they only eat ants or termites and they will die if they don't eat them. but the dude selling him/other frog dealers/the internet told me that's bullshit. so i assume the dude is wrong. but idk.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Eh, if the internet voices are drowning out one vendor, I think you're probably safe trying other foods before fretting over termites.

Salazar received a ridiculous new home today. He'll never need a new tank again. It's a hand-built PVC monstrosity (48" x 24" x 16") that enables him to stretch out to his full length. Lots of room for hydration sources and hides. Came with thermostat-controlled undertank heating. Between new goodies and the tank itself, we spent about $300. Missing: a decent hydrometer or whatever it's called, but that's on our short-list of upcoming snake-related purchases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0IVeI8qUfk

Also pictured: Geki versus her arch-nemesis, the water bottle. She has no fear of that thing; only a deep-seated hatred.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 5, 2017

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Cless Alvein posted:

Just a quick google search shows a few places selling them. None that I'd actually trust them or anything. Who the hell actually buys from Backwater Reptiles?
Yeah that would be my concern. gently caress those guys.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i bought him at a reptile show. he has been healthy so far. most of the time he is underground at and pops out to either walk about or eat a cricket. he is pretty friendly too, sits and walks about on my hand(doesnt seem stressed either, doesnt puff up or bark in anger.) the only worry i have is some other guy at the reptile show(not the seller, who had a bunch) said they only eat ants or termites and they will die if they don't eat them. but the dude selling him/other frog dealers/the internet told me that's bullshit. so i assume the dude is wrong. but idk.
Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out at shows, I don't think I'd trust buying an imported animal site-unseen.

For what it's worth ants are actually not that difficult to get, I've used these guys when I've had horned lizards "visiting" for a while. But they're probably not right for an African frog, they probably don't have the immunity to their sting venom like our horned lizards do.
http://www.antsalive.com/horned-lizard-food.ants

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Is an automatic mister attached to a hygrometer a reasonably priced device that exists?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cless Alvein posted:

so whats wrong with backwater? neither me or my GF have used them? are they pretty awful?

Knormal posted:

Yeah that would be my concern. gently caress those guys.

Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out at shows, I don't think I'd trust buying an imported animal site-unseen.

For what it's worth ants are actually not that difficult to get, I've used these guys when I've had horned lizards "visiting" for a while. But they're probably not right for an African frog, they probably don't have the immunity to their sting venom like our horned lizards do.
http://www.antsalive.com/horned-lizard-food.ants

thanks he has been eating the crickets fine. i think he still pretty young and being as tame as he is, i think he might be captive bred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I saw some pictures from a vendor and I think they just collected a variety of age classes - I don't think they've been in the pet trade long enough to have been captive bred.