Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

glory be to the anarchists in Washington DC today

Lot of activity, this is like WTO level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Pacific Rim is a loving garbage fire, it's on a shortlist of movies I actually hate but I'm willing to say that's 80% due to people who acknowledge the fight scenes were poo poo, the cinematography was poo poo, the characters were poo poo and the plot was poo poo but conclude "well, I liked it anyway."

WELL, gently caress YOU.

I feel similar, but I'm less of a weirdo about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This inauguration needs shoes thrown at politicians imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: PacRim and everything about it is dope.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I appreciated that Pacific Rim didn't throw in a romance between the male and female leads.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MacheteZombie posted:

This inauguration needs shoes thrown at politicians imo

This, but with shoes:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lobok posted:

This, but with shoes:

Fixed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I appreciated that Pacific Rim didn't throw in a romance between the male and female leads.

No, it just had awkward anime sexual tension instead

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I remember some people arguing that it did, they're so poorly drawn that you can't tell what their relationship is.

Pacific Rim is a bad bad movie with terrible characters.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
lol remember the Mako Mori test?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

glam rock hamhock posted:

No, it just had awkward anime sexual tension instead

I don't remember any nose bleeding in Pacific Rim.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lobok posted:

This, but with shoes:

yes please

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It would probably have the same effect, especially if there are any heels, steel-toed boots, or clogs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

lol remember the Mako Mori test?

I love that it was an embarrassingly lower bar than the Bechdel test, the point of which is to be a really low bar. Like the whole point of the Bechdel is it's so basic yet most movies don't pass it. Meanwhile the Mako Mori test was essentially passed if a female character had a plot arc at all, which is not something that I believe most movies would not pass unless they literally are just using their women as window dressing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

glam rock hamhock posted:

I love that it was an embarrassingly lower bar than the Bechdel test, the point of which is to be a really low bar. Like the whole point of the Bechdel is it's so basic yet most movies don't pass it. Meanwhile the Mako Mori test was essentially passed if a female character had a plot arc at all, which is not something that I believe most movies would not pass unless they literally are just using their women as window dressing.

If we can go back to Bechdel for a second, Alien clearly soars over the bar set by the Mako Mori test, and is like 1000x better than Pacific Rim.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

good god trump is really the president

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
We lost Miguel Ferrer and Gabe the Dog and got President Trump within 24 hours. 2017 shaping up to be a real stinker already.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The best parts of Pacific Rim were Charlie Day and Ron Perlman and that's it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RandallODim posted:

The best parts of Pacific Rim were Charlie Day and Ron Perlman and that's it.

They need their own spinoff

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Dope trailer of the day: Neo Tokyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9wLTSgfNOA

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

We lost Miguel Ferrer and Gabe the Dog and got President Trump within 24 hours. 2017 shaping up to be a real stinker already.

RIP Gabe The Dog.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
yeah rip

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I had no idea who Chuck Prophet was 'til I heard this song making the rounds on WHYY, and I reckon it's about as good a way to get to know him as any (he also played their Free@Noon gig, today - he's got a whole Hall & Oates-meets-Warren Zevon vibe, I dig it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBF18-UzDlg

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Welp, I need to watch that.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

This movie had better E. X. P. L. O. D. E.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I feel similar, but I'm less of a weirdo about it.

You weren't around in GBS 2014. You didn't see the long, tedious, soul crushing arguments about Pacific Rim. I started every single one.

GonSmithe posted:

I don't think anyone saw Live By Night to have a conversation with you about it, to be honest.

:smith: yeah probably.

Now soberer I still have the same opinion. seriously, Zoe Saldana's character mentions going back to be politically active in Cuba but Ben Afflwck convinces her to stay in the US with him. This movie is like some guilty dream he accidentally allowed to be filmed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, as a big fat guy I get really anxious about flying. Not just because the seats suck and I know I'll be uncomfortable for hours but also I worry about the person that's gonna get stuck next to me and how I'm gonna make their lives miserable as well.

Also, it's really creepy that my phone without my knowledge found the e-mail about my flight that was sent months ago and added the details to my sidebar. Like it's really useful but man that feels invasive as hell.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

:smith: yeah probably.

Now soberer I still have the same opinion. seriously, Zoe Saldana's character mentions going back to be politically active in Cuba but Ben Afflwck convinces her to stay in the US with him. This movie is like some guilty dream he accidentally allowed to be filmed.
I'm gonna go see Live By Night solely on the strength of your review.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What are the other essential Greenaway films? I've only seen The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover, but I have A Zed & Two Noughts and Drowning By Numbers on my list as well.

His entire run from The Falls to Baby of Macon is almost entirely without blemish - his best films are with Michael Nyman, who gave his rigid compositions a sense of playful menace. Some day I'd like to try overlaying 8 1/2 with some of Nyman's music. Their falling out is appropriately of themselves, in that they both hate that the other is associated with their own work, but they're an almost essential match. Either without the other withers, which is extremely funny and wonderful.

edit: Pacific Rim is great. I liked Pacific Rim a lot.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 20, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm gonna go see Live By Night solely on the strength of your review.

Be sure to share your thoughts when you get back!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

glory be to the anarchists in Washington DC today

that picture of the limo with the busted windows is the only thing that's given me any joy today

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
𝓹𝓻𝒆𝓼𝓲𝓭𝒆𝓷𝓽 𝓽𝓻𝓾𝓶𝓹
𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚖𝚙
president trump

it just looks wrong no matter how you write it

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Mistah Twump!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'm gonna watch The Werewolf of Washington and pretend we live in a happier world where lycanthropy is the only problem with some of our politicians.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mix and match but you can only use up to three. Repeat words as much as you want.

Subsidized Islamic carnage
Unstoppable Flush Lady

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Infrastructure stealing wind-swept, across our nation

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are the dopest, must-see Sam Neill movies besides Possession and Jurassic Park?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Well, Event Horizon

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Lobok posted:

Mix and match but you can only use up to three. Repeat words as much as you want.

Subsidized Islamic carnage
Unstoppable Flush Lady

Unrealized Tombstones is my new band and Sad Sprawl is our first album. We're like The Locust meets Chiodos and we loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

What are the dopest, must-see Sam Neill movies besides Possession and Jurassic Park?

Does Hunt for Red October count? He's not the star.

• Locked thread