Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

spankmeister posted:

i would be your manager minivan, my resume is free of spelling and grammatical errors, and does not repeat anything.

if you're in/willing to move to chicago and know how to ops devs and reliable sites send me your drat resume and save me from reading another one of these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

oh god this one lists "Waterfall" under Skills: Processes.

I just highlighted it and wrote "why. why why why." next to it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm trying something new with my resumé. instead of a list of accomplishments, each job details section reads like a paragraph. it's actually longer but easier to read and hopefully not terribly boring.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if your resume has ever been anything but a formality for some checkbox hr requires

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I'm trying something new with my resumé. [...] it's actually longer

no thanks

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Management" post="468534370"]
I'm trying something new with my resumé. instead of a list of accomplishments, each job details section reads like a paragraph. it's actually longer but easier to read and hopefully not terribly boring.
[/quote]

is it more than a page?

yes: try again

no: ok thanks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

lol if your resume has ever been anything but a formality for some checkbox hr requires

a resume has at least three audiences
  • applicant management systems

yep your poo poo is going in a database, and people are gonna search it, and it's gonna get scored for relevance / filtered out.
    you need buzzwords and stuff to survive the robots

• hr drones

i guess hr drones want your resume to resemble the job req. they don't know what anything on the resume means, nor anything on the req, but they can do dumb pattern matching. i don't know much about how hr drones think.

(is it an abuse of the word "think" to imply that human resources execs are able to do it?)

• interviewers who have no idea what to talk about

lots of interviewers don't prepare very well. i know i don't. having interesting poo poo you did on your resume is important, so that you can get THEM to ask YOU about things that build the narrative you want to communicate.

and the narrative is key to any sales process. people fuckin love stories. it turns off logic in ur brain. stories are important.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

minivanmegafun posted:

ugh I hate interviewing other people so much

and resumes even more

so we're hiring for my manager. I think the only person directly asked on my team if they want to be the manager was me and I said "lol no."

these resumes are SO BAD. one talks about how they rolled their own encryption and is full of the worst grammar mistakes and uses the word "liased". this one I'm looking at now has a huge half-page block of Skills that I just spent the last 10 minutes highlighting all the repeated things in. and they're both just loving :words: and over 2 pages long.

the delete key is cool and good. please use it on your resume. the less dumb poo poo you put on there the less time I'm going to angrily circle the incorrectly used apostrophe and grill you on why you rolled your own crypto back in 2002.

i had to review a resume that was 20+ pages once

i threw it away

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Rex-Goliath posted:

i had to review a resume that was 20+ pages once

i threw it away

i never read past the first page

i don't really care what you did more than 10 years ago anyway

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

oh if we're gonna hate on recruiters i guess i'll toss this gem out again

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

not sure if that's better or worse than the form letters the rest of them send out but it was certainly more memorable

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

non-agenda-based conversation, lmao

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

recruiters are almost all incredibly bad. not all of them though, because one got me a job

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Elder Postsman posted:

non-agenda-based conversation, lmao

How do you do, fellow humans

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

oh if we're gonna hate on recruiters i guess i'll toss this gem out again

condolences if you live near/go to/work at PSU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a resume has at least three audiences
  • applicant management systems

yep your poo poo is going in a database, and people are gonna search it, and it's gonna get scored for relevance / filtered out.
    you need buzzwords and stuff to survive the robots

• hr drones

i guess hr drones want your resume to resemble the job req. they don't know what anything on the resume means, nor anything on the req, but they can do dumb pattern matching. i don't know much about how hr drones think.

(is it an abuse of the word "think" to imply that human resources execs are able to do it?)

• interviewers who have no idea what to talk about

lots of interviewers don't prepare very well. i know i don't. having interesting poo poo you did on your resume is important, so that you can get THEM to ask YOU about things that build the narrative you want to communicate.

and the narrative is key to any sales process. people fuckin love stories. it turns off logic in ur brain. stories are important.

our customer wants resumes presumably so they know that they're paying for someone with the right tier of skills, so they get the resume made in ms word instead of LaTeX (that i haven't updated since the last time i needed a resume to get a job)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

is it more than a page?

yes: try again

no: ok thanks

nope. well, page 2 has literally a pile of buzzwords on it for database searches and that's it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Management posted:

nope. well, page 2 has literally a pile of buzzwords on it for database searches and that's it.

go all the way and throw in a sql injection if they're not going to read it

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ask her for her salary, the CTO's salary, and the cap table

if we're all "straight shooters" then we should be able to get down to business immediately, right?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
i may or may not have put in my two weeks' notice the day after my boss gave me a glowing annual review, oops

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

chmods please posted:

i may or may not have put in my two weeks' notice the day after my boss gave me a glowing annual review, oops

did the raise go through and the bonus check clear?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

did the raise go through and the bonus check clear?

that would have been next month. imo it would come across as significantly more petty to quit *after* being guaranteed a bonus and a fatter final paycheck. i like my boss and don't want to burn that bridge.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

chmods please posted:

that would have been next month. imo it would come across as significantly more petty to quit *after* being guaranteed a bonus and a fatter final paycheck. i like my boss and don't want to burn that bridge.

who cares, stack the paper.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
my bonus check got deposited today, hopefully the interview I had yesterday pans out and I can drop notice late next week, gently caress this place.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I quit my job a month after my bonus, it's for last year's performance

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

I quit my job a month after my bonus, it's for last year's performance

this is correct. bonus is for work already done. if you did the work, you deserve the bonus.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

who cares, stack the paper.

The Management posted:

this is correct. bonus is for work already done. if you did the work, you deserve the bonus.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

companies that only give you your year's worth of 401k match in one lump sum at the end of the year are the worst

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mishaq posted:

companies that only give you your year's worth of 401k match in one lump sum at the end of the year are the worst

is this a thing?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

krooj posted:

is this a thing?

yep, i know people who have worked at companies that do this

usually its a cost cutting measure that fucks over people that leave/are fired before the end of the year

thankfully never worked at one personally

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
I'll have to fill in the thread on cost-cutting fuckery once my company is done being merged with another. I'm at the point of giving zero fucks whether I lose my job and I'm not even a US citizen, just down here on a TN visa :smugdon:

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Can I make mad bank as an independent PCI or other standard auditor/assessor? I have my CISSP and years of experience auditing and securing :nsa:

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
I keep bouncing from stepping stone job to stepping stone job. I turn 33 soon and I'm not making the national median per person wage. Feels weird and I don't care for it or the outlook.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I was trying to email in an application last night, and it kept bouncing, I double checked the address was right several times even going back and copy/pasting it from the advert. Since the deadline was the next day I panicked and sent an email to the guy I knew was actually going to be choosing applicants and let them know that the email address in the advert wasn't working. 30 minutes later I return to a flurry of emails I'd been CC'ed into where it turns out there was a typo in the email listed in advert that literally spelt the name of the company wrong and I hadn't noticed :suicide:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

vodkat posted:

I was trying to email in an application last night, and it kept bouncing, I double checked the address was right several times even going back and copy/pasting it from the advert. Since the deadline was the next day I panicked and sent an email to the guy I knew was actually going to be choosing applicants and let them know that the email address in the advert wasn't working. 30 minutes later I return to a flurry of emails I'd been CC'ed into where it turns out there was a typo in the email listed in advert that literally spelt the name of the company wrong and I hadn't noticed :suicide:

you failed the attention to detail test but may have saved it with proactive and communicates well.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol hired.com can't find embedded software jobs in the Bay Area

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

even embedded is web dev now - just need one guy to figure out how to shoehorn node.js onto a armv5 and then everyone else can just write JavaScript that executes so slowly there's a 10s lag between a button press and your IoT light bulb turning on!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

even embedded is web dev now - just need one guy to figure out how to shoehorn node.js onto a armv5 and then everyone else can just write JavaScript that executes so slowly there's a 10s lag between a button press and your IoT light bulb turning on!

i really enjoy our ceo yelling at us about performance all the time, meanwhile our frontend is some webforms monstrosity and it's like no poo poo everything is laggy to hell.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

lol hired.com can't find embedded software jobs in the Bay Area

yeah I got nothing for UX design except to a helpful tip to add python, rails and angular to my profile

I'm pretty sure they have basically no inventory beyond a few generic webdev jobs at bad places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Eh, Apple passed on me. They wanted in-depth knowledge of Swift and IOS coming in, which I obviously can't provide since I don't work on those at all in my job. The hunt continues.

• Locked thread