Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I rather like the Reginlaze Julia/Julietta (confused over which it is) and it might challenge the GN-X series as my favourite "cutting edge mass-production" unit. Not crazy about Lupus Rex (is the full name Barbatos Lupus Rex or did they actually drop that part of the name? Seems thematically relevant) but the name is cool with the "Kings of Mars" thing. It means "Wolf King" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

I rather like the Reginlaze Julia/Julietta (confused over which it is) and it might challenge the GN-X series as my favourite "cutting edge mass-production" unit. Not crazy about Lupus Rex (is the full name Barbatos Lupus Rex or did they actually drop that part of the name? Seems thematically relevant) but the name is cool with the "Kings of Mars" thing. It means "Wolf King" right?

Barbatos Lupus Rex. All the Gundam Frames have a specific ID'd name after the 72 Demons of Ars Goeta, the extra flavour's just whatever the current owner's slapped onto the frame. The Gusion's now probably about as far from whatever the hell it originally looked like as a Gundam Frame can get.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Barbatos Lupus Rex. All the Gundam Frames have a specific ID'd name after the 72 Demons of Ars Goeta, the extra flavour's just whatever the current owner's slapped onto the frame. The Gusion's now probably about as far from whatever the hell it originally looked like as a Gundam Frame can get.

Well, Kudal's version was. The Rebake is at least Gundam-shaped.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not all that sure about the Julia. It seems like a very 00-style jagged mass of fins and spikes that doesn't fit with the generally cleaner aesthetic of IBO. I mean, the Schwalbe Graze felt like it was pushing it, and this is that times a hundred.

Also, could be mistaken, but it looks like Mika will be getting in on Gaelio's triple-reactor thing.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 20, 2017

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I'm not sure if that's a reactor or just a spool for the new mecha-tail they swiped from Hashmal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dulkor posted:

I'm not sure if that's a reactor or just a spool for the new mecha-tail they swiped from Hashmal.

Normally I'd think it was just a spool, but it looks so much like the Barbatos's other reactors (and is positioned so much like the Kimaris Vidar's third reactor) that I do have to wonder.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, Kudal's version was. The Rebake is at least Gundam-shaped.

That's not what I meant. Most Gundams we've seen have had the same look for the past 350 years, and likely have their original parts. All that's left of the Gusion is its frame, we have no clue what its original armor might've originally looked like. Even the Rebake's just a halfassed new design made mostly with the leftover Rhodi parts from the Gusion's prior armor shell. The Astaroth from the side-manga's another good example.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Caros posted:

I feel like tallegeese II is a better comparison. Particularly the color scheme.

Thanks to the shoulders, weird wing slabs, and the sillouette (and smug bastard pilot) it's always reminded me more of Epyon, but with the colors I can definitely see the Tallgeese comparison.

The big secret of the Bael is that it's actually an Oz kitbash.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adel posted:

Thanks to the shoulders, weird wing slabs, and the sillouette (and smug bastard pilot) it's always reminded me more of Epyon, but with the colors I can definitely see the Tallgeese comparison.

The big secret of the Bael is that it's actually an Oz kitbash.

Treize never piloted the Epyon, though?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Not on screen. Logically he had to pilot it off screen though for Epyon to tell him his future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Not on screen. Logically he had to pilot it off screen though for Epyon to tell him his future.

Or, y'know, just sit in the cockpit for a few hours and then have one of the little people drain out all the rose petals.

One thing I found interesting is that the Lupus Rex is going back to a super-sized version of its original mace. Countdown until it loses the first one?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Darth Walrus posted:

Or, y'know, just sit in the cockpit for a few hours and then have one of the little people drain out all the rose petals.

One thing I found interesting is that the Lupus Rex is going back to a super-sized version of its original mace. Countdown until it loses the first one?

First combat encounter in space. Gotta be.

I'm looking forward to Mika ripping and tearing some fools with those new claw hands as well. :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Luminaflare posted:

First combat encounter in space. Gotta be.

I'm looking forward to Mika ripping and tearing some fools with those new claw hands as well. :black101:

The thick bars on the Barbatos Lupus Rex's arms have me curious as to what their gimmick is, because I noticed in the rear shot there's a similar set on the back of its feet.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thick bars on the Barbatos Lupus Rex's arms have me curious as to what their gimmick is, because I noticed in the rear shot there's a similar set on the back of its feet.

It's a collapsible version of the mace by all appearances, stored in the forearms.

E: unless im reading that wrong and thats another subarm coming out in the opening.

Artum fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 21, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Artum posted:

It's a collapsible version of the mace by all appearances, stored in the forearms.

E: unless im reading that wrong and thats another subarm coming out in the opening.

You're likely right but I'm still hoping for a Big O elbow piston.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Wow it's been awhile since I've seen GW, I thought Epyon was Treize's signature suit but I guess not :shobon:

I'm hoping Rex has a rocket punch because why not. If Shino can live the super robot dream then so can the sack of potatoes Mika.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adel posted:

Wow it's been awhile since I've seen GW, I thought Epyon was Treize's signature suit but I guess not :shobon:

I'm hoping Rex has a rocket punch because why not. If Shino can live the super robot dream then so can the sack of potatoes Mika.

Do rocket tails count? Because it has one of those.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Darth Walrus posted:

Do rocket tails count? Because it has one of those.

Are you kidding me, that's even better :shittydog:

Interesting that Tekkadan's gundams are getting progressively more bestial. First the Flauros Ryuusei Go and now the Barbatos. Wonder if the same will happen to the Gusion (though I guess it's kinda bug/froggish already but I feel that's a bit of a stretch compared to the other two).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Adel posted:

Are you kidding me, that's even better :shittydog:

Interesting that Tekkadan's gundams are getting progressively more bestial. First the Flauros Ryuusei Go and now the Barbatos. Wonder if the same will happen to the Gusion (though I guess it's kinda bug/froggish already but I feel that's a bit of a stretch compared to the other two).

I am not kidding you.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

We need a 'Muscle Unit' gangtag.

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat
Iok, dammit.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well this has to have been the most uncomfortable episode to watch. I didn't feel bad for Naze, but you're firing on retreating non-combatants Iok, jesus loving christ. And of course, they can't quite finish the job of getting rid of either. Dude has the devil's own luck.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Amusingly if he was better at this whole thing, he could've done the whole thing with far less casualties on his own side by accepting the cease-fire/surrender and then going ahead anyway once Naze and Amida were captured.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Logicblade posted:

Well this has to have been the most uncomfortable episode to watch. I didn't feel bad for Naze, but you're firing on retreating non-combatants Iok, jesus loving christ. And of course, they can't quite finish the job of getting rid of either. Dude has the devil's own luck.

The shot's slightly ambiguous, but I think Naze got him. The Hammerhead scraped off his ship's bridge, and then careened into another Halfbeak.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No he did not, the bridge is still there. He hit the front of the ship then careened off. Iok will be shaken but fine.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lol loving Iok

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Assuming Iok did survive, I'm definitely getting the impression we're building up to Julietta shanking him. Girl was just not happy this episode.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Only when Iok loses the favor of Rustal. I doubt rustal will be happy with what the Iok faction of his Arianrhod fleet is up to, throwing around proscribed weapons like that.

And fortunately, from the next ep preview,Tekkadan remains part of Teiwaz. In spite of McMurdo's earlier bluster, he remains aware that Tekkadan are an extremely powerful asset, one that he remains fond of. McMurdo may have threatened to destroy Tekkadan if they step out of line, but Iok has behaved so egregiously that Gjallarhorn are unlikely to be able to move on to the rest of Tekkadan and Teiwaz, especially if the McGillis faction of Gjallarhorn starts running interference.

McMurdo has some interesting characterization, he really stands in contrast to Nobliss. Both are old rich powerful men constantly looking to increase their power. But Nobliss thinks only of himself, whereas McMurdo enjoys grooming others, for one day they shall ascend to the throne and he shall leave behind a legacy (and its nicely symbolized with his bonsai obsession). And in that McMurdo sees a kindred spirit in Naze, particularly with their mutual interest in Tekkadan.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I take back what I said about wanting Iok to understand what he'd done wrong. He's never going to understand what he's done wrong, unless he gets some major character development quickly. I still don't particularly want him to die, but now I just want him to get stripped of his rank and power and humiliated. But the shanked by Julietta option wouldn't be too bad either.

This ep, I thought that Amida was absolutely stunning. Her experience and competence really showed. I loved seeing her winning against Julietta. I'm sorry to see her and Naze go (even though until now I didn't like Naze very much), but they did go out well. Julietta's scenes with Amida were great, and they make me think Julietta's got a lot of scope for future development. She's a bit like Mikazuki, so I wonder how she'll progress compared to him.

I look forward to cute Lafter and Akihiro scenes next week, with a bit of luck.

Lots of good fight scenes this ep. For non-combat scenes, I liked the bit where Mikazuki didn't argue with the Teiwaz boss because he could tell from his eyes that he wouldn't budge on the matter. And the scene with the woman who got left behind when the doors were sealed really stuck out.

I really want a Reginlaze Julia.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really hope the Turbines got footage of Iok openly disregarding the parley signal and opening fire on escape pods and use it to get him hanged by Gjallarhorn.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really hope the Turbines got footage of Iok openly disregarding the parley signal and opening fire on escape pods and use it to get him hanged by Gjallarhorn.

Rustal may double down on this if this was tied to the McGillis and essentially destroyed a valuable ally of Tekkadan because Jasley is pro Gjallarhorn and Teiwaz will follow Rustal when the shooting starts.

Also rip Blid and Chloe

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

Only when Iok loses the favor of Rustal. I doubt rustal will be happy with what the Iok faction of his Arianrhod fleet is up to, throwing around proscribed weapons like that.

Even then Julietta wasn't really mad at Iok to cause her to stab him. She's mad that she still so weak despite being on a kick rear end mecha. She looks at herself and Mika and finds out that she's still miles away and its only getting worse now that she's realized that she genuinely fears death.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Even then Julietta wasn't really mad at Iok to cause her to stab him. She's mad that she still so weak despite being on a kick rear end mecha. She looks at herself and Mika and finds out that she's still miles away and its only getting worse now that she's realized that she genuinely fears death.

One interesting thing, though, is that Amida's 'live for yourself' message seems to have struck home a little. As soon as she stops thinking in terms of what's useful for Rustal, I suspect that Iok's days wil be severely numbered. It's also going to be interesting to see how her relationship with Gaelio is affected by this - this was basically her Dort moment, with a somewhat different outcome, and it's pretty much guaranteed he'll spot the parallels if she tells him about it.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Wow Iok's gone from incompetent buffoon to massive piece of poo poo real quick.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

One interesting thing, though, is that Amida's 'live for yourself' message seems to have struck home a little. As soon as she stops thinking in terms of what's useful for Rustal, I suspect that Iok's days wil be severely numbered. It's also going to be interesting to see how her relationship with Gaelio is affected by this - this was basically her Dort moment, with a somewhat different outcome, and it's pretty much guaranteed he'll spot the parallels if she tells him about it.

I don't think it did at all. Its not going to be Amida's words that will affect her, if anything its up to mecha gali to try and unfuck her before she ends with whiskers. And right now, with the current characterization, there is a greater chance that she disregards him than actually take any advice from him.

e-Also about Iok. The chat on the previous episode about Iok being brutally honest is very very pertinent right now. Iok is that corruption inside GH but without any tact and completely unmasked.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 22, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

He's an arrogant, privileged poo poo who was itching to prove himself, hosed up spectacularly, and completely failed to deal with it in a remotely healthy way. I imagine his Twitter feed is all about how he won bigly and made space great again despite the failing Turbines' efforts to ruin his day.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NotALizardman posted:

That's what makes him such a well done character. He's introduced as another Carta, basically. Naive, sheltered, but probably not a bad guy. But over the course of the show, we realize that he's not just naive, he's stupid. And then, he's not just stupid, he's dangerous. And now this. The show keeps setting up the audience to have increasingly lower expectations for Iok, and Iok keeps diving below them. It makes him so hateable.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

NotALizardman posted:

I don't want Julieta to shank him. That would be far too kind. Iok needs a proper bastard's death.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

NotALizardman posted:

...but the men of the Arianrhod fleet were too brave to accept the surrender of the unarmed transports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

I don't want Julieta to shank him. That would be far too kind. Iok needs a proper bastard's death.

Lafter and Azee disable his graze and strand him in space. Julieta ignores his distress calls, reports him dead.

• Locked thread