Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All three of the testing rewards are masks? Are masks just cosmetic in this game or do they have stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They're headgear with stats, but the game has a system where you can transfer the stats from one item to another so if you want to wear them you don't have to worry about them being instantly obsoleted by some boring helmet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fadam posted:

All three of the testing rewards are masks? Are masks just cosmetic in this game or do they have stats?

I'd guess they're just cosmetic, because the game has a "cosmetics" system where you can make your armor look like other armor. They probably have stats but most items like this are only good for the first hour or two of the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope it doesn't have restrictions so I can "wear" the cool heavy armors without actually having to spec into stamina

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

In case anyone was wondering, if you make a throwaway EU account and download the last chance trial from there, you can play it on your main account. Useful since the EU test is currently available while the NA one is not. Yay for timezones, for once.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

The fact that Heart is the only stat that increases Ki, while also being the main scaling stat for most katanas, seems to suggest that they want katanas to be a reliable fallback weapon for every build, at least. I sort of doubt that it's a good idea to totally neglect increasing your maximum Ki, right?

If you run extremely light armor you don't need that much extra ki at least in the last playable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

If you run extremely light armor you don't need that much extra ki at least in the last playable.

I'll probably want more than super-light armor so I'll likely level Heart anyway. Body/Heart/Spirit is what I'm going to try out in this demo when I get home, I think. Seems really well-rounded, if nothing else.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Anyone killed the Ogress yet?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I didn't know this game was a Shrek crossover.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
I've been shrekt a few times.

Okay getting a bit better. You can dash through her claw swipes. Got to run forwards when she pounces, you end up placed nicely for a few hits to her back.
Dash through the flame breath or run round in the same direction.

Arthur Bowlsworth fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 20, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm about to stream the last chance trial if anyone's curious.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotusgramarye

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Since I missed the last 2 I want to make sure I get everything from this. Any tips on how to apply stats or general advice for someone who is going in fresh on this run? I see we only have 1 day beat it on twilight to get everything.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

People are saying they're getting all the rewards from just clearing the normal stage

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Anyone killed the Ogress yet?

Got her on my third attempt (and the first one doesn't count - she one-shot me with her first attack). She's not as bullshit hard as the first boss of the previous playable (the ship ogre) and more fun to fight than cave vampire, at least for me. Did it with a pretty suboptimal build too.

I went hard on magic and ninja to try out new stuff - big mistake. They made many magic and ninja skills ????? for this trial which includes all the higher versions of the low level items. That makes it really hard to tell if their addition of basic elemental attack spells is enough to make a combat mage viable - it certainly isn't when you can only take 3 shots per element (and clutter up your entire d-pad doing it). They certainly don't hit hard enough compared to the ninja versions (shuriken) that cast much faster for similar damage.

Kusarigama is loving awesome though - high stance heavy attack is basically a ranged attacked (but has no vertical reach whatsoever).
Elixirs work like Bloodborne now - excess gets dumped in your storage and visiting a shrine pulls your elixirs from storage. Works really well.
Ki-Pulse on dodges is now in for every stance, but it's a skill you need to buy with samurai points, per weapon, per stance.
Muneshiges crazy lightning sword combo is now in for players - a living weapon-only single katana skill.
Player Character spectres ki-pulse and use skills now (!).

The biggest change I could see though isn't anything of the above: It's that heavy armor doesn't have a damage output penalty anymore. The age of the tank has begun!

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 20, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Elixirs work like Bloodborne now - excess gets dumped in your storage and visiting a shrine pulls your elixirs from storage. Works really well.

Hell yes.

DatonKallandor posted:

Ki-Pulse on dodges is now in for every stance, but it's a skill you need to buy with samurai points, per weapon, per stance.

Huh, interesting. Maybe an attempt to balance low stance? I remember it being easily the best stance for general use in the last beta.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DatonKallandor posted:

Kusarigama is loving awesome though - high stance heavy attack is basically a ranged attacked (but has no vertical reach whatsoever).
Muneshiges crazy lightning sword combo is now in for players - a living weapon-only single katana skill.
Player Character spectres ki-pulse and use skills now (!).

All of this is awesome.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Great news for me! I used mid and high stance mostly for utility and power so ki pulse on dodge makes them even better!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

DatonKallandor posted:

Awesome stuff

I cannot wait for this.

I found the ship ogre easy if you simply ran around him when he was tossing the balls. Ki pulse the oni aura and its a snap. Is it strange that I find this game way more satisfying than Dark Souls?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There's also a Toughness stat which I don't think was in the previous builds? Which seems to be a poise equivalent. Tanking definitely looks to be a viable playstyle which is awesome. Probably still going to go for a ninja build on my first playthrough though.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Man, the twilight version of that mission does not pull any punches.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Monolith. posted:

I cannot wait for this.

I found the ship ogre easy if you simply ran around him when he was tossing the balls. Ki pulse the oni aura and its a snap. Is it strange that I find this game way more satisfying than Dark Souls?

The problem I had with the ogre is the tracking on the cannonballs was insane. Like you'd run behind him as he's throwing it and the ball would come out of his hand BACKWARDS. But yeah once you got the hang of avoiding his attacks it was easy. He had too much health IMO though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So the demo opens in just over six hours for NA, but when does it end? How long does it take to unlock all the rewards?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ends on sunday, couple of hours unless you hugely struggle

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What do you have to do to unlock all the rewards? I got the reward from the first demo but not the second.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they said finish the twilight version of the one stage, but people are reporting that they've gotten the rewards from finishing the regular version. so it's one of those. you won't get a dlc download for the new reward, it's tied to the save file the demo makes.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

RatHat posted:

The problem I had with the ogre is the tracking on the cannonballs was insane. Like you'd run behind him as he's throwing it and the ball would come out of his hand BACKWARDS

Does he still do this stupid poo poo

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah I remember that being fixed.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

Huh, interesting. Maybe an attempt to balance low stance? I remember it being easily the best stance for general use in the last beta.

Low stance was easily the worst stance in the Beta because it Ki Pulsed on Triangle attacks and not dodging. They made the slow high damage stance get Ki back from dodging and the fast dodgy stance get Ki back from attacking. It was rear end backward and bad.

Doesn't seem like this is any better a solution. High stance, Dodge back all day every.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Got a PS4 yesterday and while Bloodborne was a day-one purchase I had no idea this existed but it's already gonna be my second game, god drat it's good.

Finished the mission on regular and got two masks (Strongest and Conqueror according to the names) so I guess the final one is from the Twilight version of the mission? Hahaha no.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pierson posted:

Got a PS4 yesterday and while Bloodborne was a day-one purchase I had no idea this existed but it's already gonna be my second game, god drat it's good.

Finished the mission on regular and got two masks (Strongest and Conqueror according to the names) so I guess the final one is from the Twilight version of the mission? Hahaha no.

I'm pretty sure you get the Ogress mask from completing the normal version. Rather than a download from the PSN store it makes a save file that can be read by the full game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I'm mildly annoyed that the demo, when opened, says it won't start (in NA) until 23:00 but it doesn't list a time zone. I know it's likely already tuned to whatever setting I have the PS4 set for, but those three letters would set my mind at ease.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
It states 20:00 for me so I'm guessing 8 pm pst.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Genocyber posted:

There's also a Toughness stat which I don't think was in the previous builds? Which seems to be a poise equivalent. Tanking definitely looks to be a viable playstyle which is awesome. Probably still going to go for a ninja build on my first playthrough though.

Poise was a thing in the previous version but I think it had a different name.

I couldn't find the level indicator for Guardian Spirits anymore, which makes me think they removed that whole mechanic. Although the incredibly tantalizing "Mystical Arts" skills make up for that.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure you get the Ogress mask from completing the normal version. Rather than a download from the PSN store it makes a save file that can be read by the full game.
I got a prompt on the main menu to download two pieces of DLC from the PSN store, so IDK what's happening. Cosmetic/free stuff barely matters anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr E posted:

I feel like I'm gonna play this game a billion times just like Souls.

same :dance:

The Kusarigama are interesting. Fun and very different, although it seems like you fight more with the weighted end than with the actual sickle. Huh.

The musket does insane damage but is really slow, as appropriate. Fun stuff.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 21, 2017

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The ogress doesn't gently caress around!

Trying to dodge forward through her swipes and heavy attack her, but I get hosed up in the second part of the fight.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THEY REVERTED THE AIM/SHOOT BACK TO ALPHA!

gently caress yeah!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I beat ogress on my first try. Really fun fight though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

THEY REVERTED THE AIM/SHOOT BACK TO ALPHA!

gently caress yeah!

I was not a fan of this. :( Oh well, the shooting still feels good which is the important part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game is fun as gently caress