Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

Went to see Henry Rollins last week do spoken word. He was awesome, but there is literally no way, in the modern day and age, that the audience members - who paid for their loving tickets - didn't have access to running water and deodorant.

I'm no Agent Smith, but the sheer meaty funk of all the people was amazing. I know they say that Punk is dead, but it shouldn't smell like that.

I'm someone who likes to help people, and occasionally this means handing over a breath mint (and get a dentists visit), but goddamn are some people bad at adulting.

You can help some people, but there are others that stop mentally growing at some point and never get the flashing neon sign that the opposite sex doesn't want to smell your armpits across a room.

I've generally lost weight when I've started to get out of breath doing things, but also because my family has poo poo genes for cholesterol; You are your parents and grandparents, what they had, you could have, and three of mine had bad hearts.

I smoked for years and didn't really like it. Quit a couple of times, but always went back. Finally got some Chantix, and boy, that poo poo is mental. Vivid and terrifying dreams, mood swings, but you simply put the cigarettes down. Finally, you get to the point where you don't want to go through Chantix again, so you stay off them. It's like a really bonkers aversion therapy.

Word. I'm going to start with a bunch of sarcasm and phonecalls and steadily metastasize into being annoying in person.

:master:

Speaking pretty truthfully here. I'm not huge on looks, I like people who look like whatever, it's about attitude.

Personal hygiene is important though. If you have a funky odor, you're not gonna go far around me. Smells are important! Smell good! Wash once every couple days at least, use perfume or cologne, smell like a person who cares at least a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Titanic posted:

Wash once every couple days at least
Or take one midnight dip in the Atlantic.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
"access to females" is a dumb phrase. You should just not use it. It's corny and makes it sound like women are behind a security door or something like money in a bank.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

Or take one midnight dip in the Atlantic.

Plenty of females down here!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

Speaking pretty truthfully here. I'm not huge on looks, I like people who look like whatever, it's about attitude.

Personal hygiene is important though. If you have a funky odor, you're not gonna go far around me. Smells are important! Smell good! Wash once every couple days at least, use perfume or cologne, smell like a person who cares at least a little.

Well when you've built up your own comfortable layer of stank that stuff's not gonna bother you much anymore

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The Titanic posted:

"access to females" is a dumb phrase. You should just not use it. It's corny and makes it sound like women are behind a security door or something like money in a bank.

It's an awesome phrase because it tells you all you need to know about the dude saying it

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's an awesome phrase because it tells you all you need to know about the dude saying it

But it's right, they are often behind a paywall.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Waiting for the day to access females in Star Citizen.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Access females, acquire currency

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh! Also I like SurfaceDetail. He's got that perfect amount of troll and bait mixed with that perfect amount of realistic expectations. When he's trolling at least there's effort and sometimes theres even a good point in there too that somebody can talk about. He's a good contributor and has done funny stuff. He can keep on doing what he's doing. :)

The thread would stagnate and die if people didn't :justpost:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Well when you've built up your own comfortable layer of stank that stuff's not gonna bother you much anymore

Ugh this is yuck. :argh:

You have a valid point.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Waiting for the day to access females in Star Citizen.
A bunch of shitizens are into early access females.

What about that starship guy's trial, by the way?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

:drat:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Gradis posted:

not joking wait a bit and see if amd's zen/ryzen is any good.

Even if I wanted to do something really budget like an i3?

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Nicholas posted:

its out soon and depending on how it performs it might shake up the pricing. so if its not urgent id suggest to wait and see what happens.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
I know a guy who buys computers off-lease from colleges and government. Back in 2013 got a Dell workstation from him with a 3.4Ghz Xeon chip and 16GB of ECC Ram for $250. Initially put a 750ti in it as that was as big as the PSU would support and sold the workstation card. 750ti only ended up costing me like $25 after selling the old card. Then in 2014 I bought a new PSU, GTX970, and SSD for $500 and put in and sold the 750ti for $100. I'm still using the machine and it has frankly been the best PC I've owned in terms of stability. My PC cost me a grand total of ~$650 thus far and runs anything I can throw at it on ultra.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Fyi wizard stank is a defense mechanism to keep pricks like you away from my scroll pouch

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Gradis posted:

its out soon and depending on how it performs it might shake up the pricing. so if its not urgent id suggest to wait and see what happens.

I wanted to have it built before 3.0 drops

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Since it was a discussion what was the cat's opinion?

"Why are you talking about killing yourself?" Also, "Why are you even talking to me?" And, "Seriously, dude, shut up and scratch my belly already."

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Chin posted:

And what are your opinions on a guy with genes that result in him drinking vodka until he dies?

Natural loving selection at work in real time right? :hellyeah:

Genes? Perhaps the weight of over 50 years of hardship and war has a price to pay and comparing it to a mentally broken child obsessed about video games is totally rational. Perhaps you should take a giant step back and go gently caress your face commando.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Nicholas posted:

i'm thinking of buying a pc to play video games. what does everyone recommend

Can you play with 30-40 FPS in a game or are you one of those "60+ FPS or GTFO" purist ? If your the former, any box in the the 600-800$ range should suffice. mid range I5, 12Gb ram, and a 1060GTX with a SSD. If your the later, then we are speaking 1200+ with last gen I5, 16 GB ram, a fast SSD and a 1070 or 1080 GTX. Either PC should last 3 years before upgrades are necessary to maintain framerate in recent titles at "high" graphic setting.

Go there and experiment

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

:chloe:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SelenicMartian posted:

What about that starship guy's trial, by the way?

wow that's tasteless

:golfclap:

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Nicholas posted:

I wanted to have it built before 3.0 drops

you got 'plenty' of time then i think.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gradis posted:

Nicholas posted:

No, there's really no point to waiting for the next great amd thing that may or may not be good when it's perfectly possible to build a predictably great gaming PC for cheap with tried and available components.

Really dudes, get your hype in control, this is the Star Citizen thread :colbert:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Since it was a discussion what was the cat's opinion?

kill jester

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Jesus. Reading through this, and there are a metric fuckton of parallels between Ion Storm and CIG.

This quote is talking about what happened when the team at Ion walked out thanks to all of the broken promises being made by the bosses, the lack of direction, the constant need to have to do everything again, and suddenly being told that you needed to get a multiplayer demo going in time for a show when that show is only a few months away and there's barely a game, let alone a multiplayer game...

quote:

The marketing group at Eidos quickly sprung into action to spin the story in a positive light. Romero posted in his online plan file available to online gamers that the team left "at an opportune time. Most of the levels are in a final state [and] much of the coding has been completed."

What was it CIG said about most of the missions for Squidman 42 being done? And then all the "code complete" bollocks in the "release schedule" for SC.

quote:

After regrouping over Christmas, Ion Storm proudly announced on January 5, 1999, that the switch to the Quake 2 engine was complete. The engine switch was supposed to take a few weeks but ended up taking close to a year.

'nuff said.

GazChap fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 20, 2017

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

DapperDon posted:

Genes? Perhaps the weight of over 50 years of hardship and war has a price to pay and comparing it to a mentally broken child obsessed about video games is totally rational. Perhaps you should take a giant step back and go gently caress your face commando.
Ok so you're an angry hypocrite.

Nature when it's convenient for you to heartlessly mock potential suicides, nurture when you're mourning your friend and fishing for sympathy on the internet.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

aleksendr posted:

Can you play with 30-40 FPS in a game or are you one of those "60+ FPS or GTFO" purist ? If your the former, any box in the the 600-800$ range should suffice. mid range I5, 12Gb ram, and a 1060GTX with a SSD. If your the later, then we are speaking 1200+ with last gen I5, 16 GB ram, a fast SSD and a 1070 or 1080 GTX. Either PC should last 3 years before upgrades are necessary to maintain framerate in recent titles at "high" graphic setting.

Go there and experiment

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/

You don't need anything close to that to get 60fps in games :psyduck:

Unless you're thinking 4k rez is a requirement so obvious it doesn't need to be stated, in which case lol

The GTX1060 is made to handle VR for Chris' sake.

e: those computer tips sound pretty good though, I'm not sure anybody needs 12GB of RAM but it's cheap as free nowadays I guess.

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 20, 2017

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

No, there's really no point to waiting for the next great amd thing that may or may not be good when it's perfectly possible to build a predictably great gaming PC for cheap with tried and available components.

Really dudes, get your hype in control, this is the Star Citizen thread :colbert:

well it was for 3.0 patch so i think it's relevant future tech. cough.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Gradis posted:

well it was for 3.0 patch so i think it's relevant future tech. cough.

If you want better 3.0 performance you'd better move next door to an AWS server farm

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Also nerds today DQVIII launches for the 3ds, it's the best title in the series and drat good if you're the least tolerant of jrpgs

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

That Daikatana article posted:

"As a company, we weren't even allowing ourselves a two-week QA cycle [before the show]," he says. As a result, "the day before E3, a handful of employees took it upon themselves to modify and recompile the level data," explains Klie. Unfortunately, the new levels weren't correctly recompiled, and the E3 build shipped to Los Angeles featured maps that would run at only 10 or 12 frames per second on the fastest PC.

The more I read of this, the more I think that Chris Roberts' plan all along was to try and remake Daikatana.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The key difference between Daikatana and Star Citizen is that Romero was trying to make a video game.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Also he had much better hair

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Foo Diddley posted:

Also he had much better hair

…and more relevant and recent game design experience.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Chin posted:

Ok so you're an angry hypocrite.

Nature when it's convenient for you to heartlessly mock potential suicides, nurture when you're mourning your friend and fishing for sympathy on the internet.

Because you say so? Got it. There is no comparisons to this at all except in your own twisted logic.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I won't lie my CPU is watercooled :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

If you want better 3.0 performance you'd better move next door to an AWS server farm Virginia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

You don't need anything close to that to get 60fps in games :psyduck:

Unless you're thinking 4k rez is a requirement so obvious it doesn't need to be stated, in which case lol

The GTX1060 is made to handle VR for Chris' sake.

e: those computer tips sound pretty good though, I'm not sure anybody needs 12GB of RAM but it's cheap as free nowadays I guess.

I was thinking of a fast paced 3dfps with average optimisation (like a console port) screened at high-end resolution (above 1440) and the ability to do so reliably for the next 3 years.

I may have overshot a little But PC game are upredictable beasts. A 1060 could give you 120 fps in Overwatch and still be brought to its knee with enough ENB mods in Skyrim or Low settings in SC.