Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

H13 posted:

Well hello there. Looked up a few demos and that sounds pretty loving awesome and there's a bit of a character to it which I dig. I'm not a fan of Wampler or TC stuff for...reasons that I can't really explain, but that Pigtronix looks pretty loving sweet. Cheers for the tip.

In other news: Nailbombs are loving awesome. Get those.

yeah dawg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

muike posted:

yeah dawg
as another person who muike convinced to buy nailbombs, yeah, nailbombs are loving great

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Professor Science posted:

as another person who muike convinced to buy nailbombs, yeah, nailbombs are loving great

I have a nailbomb in my Axis, poo poo yeah nailbomb AlNiCo

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
People talk about nailbombs like they are the greatest pickup of all time. But aren't they primarily very hot metal pickups? What if you prefer mild to heavey crunch? Would you go for a different BKP like the mule? Or is the Nailbomb good for just about anything?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean I'll plug Sinners all anyone wants, the volume-rolled neck is one of my favorite tones

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Also you should invest in some clamps for when you inevitably bust the headstock off, and need to re-glue it. Broke the headstock on mine for the second time in Denver, repaired it the next day in Salt Lake City, and played it the rest of tour no problems.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Gripen5 posted:

People talk about nailbombs like they are the greatest pickup of all time. But aren't they primarily very hot metal pickups? What if you prefer mild to heavey crunch? Would you go for a different BKP like the mule? Or is the Nailbomb good for just about anything?

oh there's lots of good pickups, from just about everyone. the nailbomb just has a certain thing to it that i really like. im glad other people like them too but it's not like i think it's the only good pickup

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

H13 posted:

Well hello there. Looked up a few demos and that sounds pretty loving awesome and there's a bit of a character to it which I dig. I'm not a fan of Wampler or TC stuff for...reasons that I can't really explain, but that Pigtronix looks pretty loving sweet. Cheers for the tip.

In other news: Nailbombs are loving awesome. Get those.

Glad you dig the PT. I was given a Dynacomp ages ago that I never could get into because of how dark it immediately took the sound. The PT is night and day better. I keep it parked in third place behind my fuzz and buffer and it just stays on all the time for the most part at unity. If I want stuff to sound more garage'ish I'll kick it off, but other than that... It's the first pedal I've had that achieved the whole "it changes how it feels to play" thing.

In other news, Happy Guitar Week continues with the arrival of a Source Audio Lunar phaser.

Regarding pickups, I've listened to some nailbomb samples on YouTube and I don't dislike them, but 300 bucks a set... It's not that I feel they aren't worth it, but I have a psychological hiccup paying the most amount of money I've ever dropped on pickups into my cheapest guitar. :)

Alleric fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 20, 2017

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Pokey Araya posted:

Also you should invest in some clamps for when you inevitably bust the headstock off, and need to re-glue it. Broke the headstock on mine for the second time in Denver, repaired it the next day in Salt Lake City, and played it the rest of tour no problems.

Les Paul 2018 Touring Edition comes with GibsonsŪ specially engineered headstock repair clamps. (Glue sold seperately)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Stop buying Gibsons.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Stop buying Gibsons.

No :colbert:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I mean, I'll buy other stuff too :v:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alleric posted:

Regarding pickups, I've listened to some nailbomb samples on YouTube and I don't dislike them, but 300 bucks a set... It's not that I feel they aren't worth it, but I have a psychological hiccup paying the most amount of money I've ever dropped on pickups into my cheapest guitar. :)

with the post-brexit collapse of the pound they're cheaper than they've ever been, and if the uk actually goes through with it they're gonna be even less expensive in the near future

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

with the post-brexit collapse of the pound they're cheaper than they've ever been, and if the uk actually goes through with it they're gonna be even less expensive in the near future

But the baseline normalcy of the Jazz/JB set sound good to me.... :ohdear:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alleric posted:

But the baseline normalcy of the Jazz/JB set sound good to me.... :ohdear:

oh yeah no they're totally not worth it (i own a set), just that the markup isn't nearly as bad as it used to be

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

oh yeah no they're totally not worth it (i own a set), just that the markup isn't nearly as bad as it used to be

Which are you saying aren't worth the cost? The Nailbomb set ordered directly for what will probably be 230 or so depending on exchange rate or the Jazz/JB set that can be found for 120?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The extra $100 for a set of top-shelf pickups makes more of a difference than paying $100 to improve literally any other part of a guitar.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alleric posted:

Which are you saying aren't worth the cost? The Nailbomb set ordered directly for what will probably be 230 or so depending on exchange rate or the Jazz/JB set that can be found for 120?

bareknuckles

they're nice but way too expensive for what they are

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

oil City are the next Bare Knuckle - had p90s and singles off o them and literally found them better than the equivalent Fender and Gibsons.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Put a down payment on this the other day, a Music Man St. Vincent in "Island Burst," which is (currently) the only one made in this finish. I'm mad excited about it. I played a couple of these when they hit my local GC and fell in love, and this one is sub-7 lbs too, which is ridiculous.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Carbohydrates posted:

Put a down payment on this the other day, a Music Man St. Vincent in "Island Burst," which is (currently) the only one made in this finish. I'm mad excited about it. I played a couple of these when they hit my local GC and fell in love, and this one is sub-7 lbs too, which is ridiculous.

Nice! I've got the blue one and I love it. That finish is beautiful though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh man, that is lovely but those things are hella expensive.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh man, that is lovely but those things are hella expensive.
They kinda are. I'm gonna sell my PRS for it I think.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I really want that St.V in either the custom blue color scheme or possibly in white. It may be awhile before used ones make it down to my general price range (under ~$1300).

I know they just launched a bunch of new colors, but I wonder if they'll expand the line even further. It looks so good!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
There was a black one on GC's used site for $1149 a week ago. It lasted about one day. Speaking of, people should definitely monitor GC used listings. Their pricing is great and they regularly undercut the best reverb or eBay price for stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Rando question that I'm sure I'm unlikely to get an answer on: does anyone know if old MIJ strats are cheaper on the used market in Japan? I'm going to be moving there for about a year, and I'm thinking of selling my old MIM and getting an MIJ if they're reasonable.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Guitar Center's used section has had an interesting Keeley phaser up at a really good price for several months, but I've been focusing on some more important pedal purchases first.

Speaking of purchases, I just bought an EHX 45000 looper from eBay. I'm hoping it will become the main hub for my guitars and synths.

I was waiting for winter NAMM to see if there would be a surprise update to the EHX loopers or if any other companies had a new looper to promote at the convention. I'm pretty disappointed that loopers have mostly received fewer features since the old rackmount Gibson/Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro. I really don't want to buy two rackmount loopers from the 90's in order to get a stereo setup working.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alternate question: if I pop the neck and electronics off my MIM and do something to the hideous paint job, how hard is it to put back together and have it play right? I've never done such a thing before.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

Alternate question: if I pop the neck and electronics off my MIM and do something to the hideous paint job, how hard is it to put back together and have it play right? I've never done such a thing before.

as long as you aren't sanding out the neck rout or something dumb like that it should right back together

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Baller

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Literally the only issue that could theoretically happen is that you add enough paint/finish to the neck pocket that it couldn't fit right back in.

But that takes a lot of paint and/or finish to make it something to worry about.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Other thing to watch out for is if your neck has a shim make sure to save it and put it back in the same spot otherwise action could be affected.
Take pictures as you take it apart and lable everything to ease reassembly.
Only soldering a Strat style guitar should need would be the bridge ground and the out put jack.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
So I was looking up videos of the new colors of the St. Vincent guitar that were shown at NAMM, and I discovered that Sterling by Music Man is releasing a cheaper version of the St. V this week. It doesn't look like the price has been announced yet, but it should be much closer to my price range.

The James Valentine signature is also getting a cheaper Sterling version.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tatumje posted:

So I was looking up videos of the new colors of the St. Vincent guitar that were shown at NAMM, and I discovered that Sterling by Music Man is releasing a cheaper version of the St. V this week. It doesn't look like the price has been announced yet, but it should be much closer to my price range.

Oh snap. I might actually just sell this strat and buy one of those then.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Tatumje posted:

Well that's cool!

Looks extremely similar. I'm particularly impressed they kept the body angles and inlays intact. Shame about the maple neck, but that's expected and understandable. Looks like a very good budget iteration.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Not going to lie, if I had just had stupid money to blow I would get the blue one. It has grown on me and is one of the neater new designs to have come out in a LONG time.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it looks like klaus nomi knocked up a gretsch jupiter thunderbird

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

They are fully brilliant to play. Worth every penny.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I started out all I wanted to play was metal, and most of that was Megadeth. I guess thats where my fetish for Jacksons started

Okay this is new. Why is it sideways? Its right on my dropbox and I rotated it too...

The green one I got off my buddy a few years ago who only plays folk and bluegrass these days (and I'm kinda going that way myself minus the bluegrass) but I still enjoy all genres and still play some metal and rock sometimes. Any time I see a non-Rhoads Jackson for sale it gets my interest and I pulled the trigger on the right one the other day. Both are MIJ, late 90s. I figure the fact that righty has a Floyd Rose was reason enough to buy it. The sad part here is I have 5 figures worth of guitars and that little Vox among the mess is all I have to play it through. I have a Fender Passport for my acoustic setup and a little Roland Cube mini but I'm still lacking a proper amp. Thinking AC15, which is probably what the money I spent on this new (to me) Dinky should have gone towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I joined team Ibanez today :toot:

miuke should recognize this, since it's the plain top version of the one he got a little over a year ago.

Ibanez S5521BRB (for Blaze Red Burst)

It's aaaaaawesome. For the most part, the pickups are a bit uninspired (big shock there), but that's nothing that a set of BKPs won't fix in the near future.

Edit: Hm, how odd. Images aren't loading in the post, but do in a new tab. Lemme try imgur.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 25, 2017