Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Lobok posted:

It's a problem though, because Iceman's rights are held by Fox.

I was gonna post that this isn't a problem because Val Kilmer's dead then I realized that I mixed up him and Swayze.

So don't worry to the seven or so remaining Val Kilmer fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sign into the DCCU. Everybody will hate you and your fans will ask you only about your next maskboy movie, ignoring all your other projects that you actually care about.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rough Lobster posted:

I was gonna post that this isn't a problem because Val Kilmer's dead then I realized that I mixed up him and Swayze.

So don't worry to the seven or so remaining Val Kilmer fans.

Hm, Swayze could have been a cool Hal.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

greatn posted:

Yeah Tom Cruise would be on the short list.

I wouldn't mind seeing Maverick back in a plane to be honest. Buzzing that tower, getting in trouble, and getting an alien power ring.

He's 55 right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

He's 55 right?

I think it's closer to 5'4

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lobok posted:

Hm, Swayze could have been a cool Hal.

Nobody could make Hal Jordan cool

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Back in the '90s, Alec Baldwin would have been a good Hal... Or a great Bruce Wayne.

But after I saw Army of Darkness, I always wanted Bruce Campbell to play Clark Kent.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

purple death ray posted:

Nobody could make Hal Jordan cool

Nathan Fillion.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Back in the '90s, Alec Baldwin would have been a good Hal... Or a great Bruce Wayne.

But after I saw Army of Darkness, I always wanted Bruce Campbell to play Clark Kent.

Bruce Campbell would have been the perfect Plastic Man.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Maybe a decade ago but rampant assholery in Castle has tarnished Captain Tightpants etc etc

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mr Hootington posted:

Bruce Campbell would have been the perfect Plastic Man.

Jim Carrey would have been better. The Mask wasn't far off actually.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

Jim Carrey would have been better. The Mask wasn't far off actually.

Jesus christ, no.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Sion posted:

Maybe a decade ago but rampant assholery in Castle has tarnished Captain Tightpants etc etc

Can you elaborate? I watched the first couple of seasons, but haven't followed it or him in years.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Channing Tatum could make a good Hal. He's blandly attractive, buff as all get-out, and has charm and charisma when called for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phylodox posted:

I think Channing Tatum could make a good Hal. He's blandly attractive, buff as all get-out, and has charm and charisma when called for.

Supposedly he's gonna be SHAZAM.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly he's gonna be SHAZAM.

I think, at this point, he's slated to be everyone in everything. Just like Chris Pratt, Tom Cruise, and Ryan Reynolds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Tom Cruise doing the Universal Monsters (!) Cinematic Universe?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Isn't Tom Cruise doing the Universal Monsters (!) Cinematic Universe?

Presuming it gets off the ground. Which is a pretty big presumption, really.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Phylodox posted:

I don't really want any movie to be bad, per se, but given that I've found each DC universe movie worse than the one before it, I have to admit that Wonder Woman being just awful would be satisfyingly consistent.

Really? I know I'm weird, but I actually liked BvS more than MoS in a walk and I'd rather watch Suicide Squad trip all over itself than be disappointed by all the non-Batfleck parts of BvS.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Retardog posted:

Can you elaborate? I watched the first couple of seasons, but haven't followed it or him in years.

If rumours are to be believed, Fillion was a giant prick to Katic off the set for mostly unknown reasons - though one theory suggests that he considered himself the star of the show and got pissy when Katic got pay raises and better dressing rooms.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Really? I know I'm weird, but I actually liked BvS more than MoS in a walk and I'd rather watch Suicide Squad trip all over itself than be disappointed by all the non-Batfleck parts of BvS.

I haven't seen Suicide Squad but I don't think it's weird, BvS is better than MoS, mostly because their Superman is the worst thing about the DCCU. At least BvS has that one fight scene.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly he's gonna be Captain Marvel.

Fixed that for ya.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

purple death ray posted:

I haven't seen Suicide Squad but I don't think it's weird, BvS is better than MoS, mostly because their Superman is the worst thing about the DCCU.

Let me guess, he's dour and unlikable?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Fillion also got fat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Let me guess, he's dour and unlikable?

Why are you so pissed that nobody likes these lovely movies but you? Even DT doesn't passive-aggressively snipe at people who don't care about Red Hood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Fillion also got fat.

He was fat when he started Castle.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Why are you so pissed that nobody likes these lovely movies but you? Even DT doesn't passive-aggressively snipe at people who don't care about Red Hood.

They're actually pretty good movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They're actually pretty good movies.

Do you think repeating that over and over is going to make people change their minds?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Do you think repeating that over and over is going to make people change their minds?

Well, that's a question of whether the Eagle or the Mountain wears down first.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC movies are good because a lot of people don't like them, so they're obviously deep and complex. Marvel movies are bad because a lot of people like them, so obviously they are shallow and meaningless.

This is how art works.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I dunno but I really like Joel McHale as Hal Jordan.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

He was fat when he started Castle.
This is true, but he got disconcertingly...wide as it went on.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

twistedmentat posted:

I dunno but I really like Joel McHale as Hal Jordan.

Joel McHale did a really good job of playing a bland, square-jawed hard righter in The Great Indoors, so I think he could pull off Hal Jordan quite well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously Hal Jordan should by played by the sci-fi movie soldier that everyone whined about as being bland, Aaron-Taylor Johnson.

purple death ray posted:

DC movies are good because a lot of people don't like them, so they're obviously deep and complex. Marvel movies are bad because a lot of people like them, so obviously they are shallow and meaningless.

This is how art works.

Marvel movies are actually much more complex. The multilayered corporate/military-industrial complex dystopia that they're set in, for example, is much more complicated than that of the DCCU. It's not a better setting, since it's so sterile and obscured - the reaction of people towards planet Earth being invaded by alien monsters is boiled down to Stan Lee laughing off the idea of superheroes in New York.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

"The Diamond Mountain is in Lower Pomerania, and it takes an hour to climb it, an hour to go around it, and an hour to go down into it. Every hundred years a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on it, and when the entire mountain is chiseled away, the first second of BotL's DC movie rant will have passed."

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Obviously Hal Jordan should by played by the sci-fi movie soldier that everyone whined about as being bland, Aaron-Taylor Johnson.

That could actually work, with a sufficiently self-aware script.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Presuming it gets off the ground. Which is a pretty big presumption, really.

Haha, true. The "showrunner" for the entire project - Universal's Kevin Feige, if you like - is Roberto Orci, after all. :D

I'm actually disappointed that it's not going for a period setting like the Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser. I think that would have set it apart. But mostly, I think it would be great fun to see this retro pulp universe on the big screen.

Does anyone own the film rights for LoEG at the moment? I've heard it's being remade as well (with more of a focus on Mina as the main character, AIUI).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm actually disappointed that it's not going for a period setting like the Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser. I think that would have set it apart. But mostly, I think it would be great fun to see this retro pulp universe on the big screen.

Skull Island takes place in the seventies, confusingly enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Skull Island takes place in the seventies, confusingly enough.

I believe that's the Godzilla/King Kong (!) shared universe that started with the Gareth Edwards movie from a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lobok posted:

It's a problem though, because Iceman's rights are held by Fox.

Ha Haaa!

• Locked thread