Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

So long as the question out there, do all Austrians sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger?

The young Schwarzenegger had a pretty strong Styrian accent, eh, or you could say that he mostly spoke the dialect. Absolute hillbilly german.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love the krengel diary, this is like crack to me.
"nothing is going on. Also i am in the desert. Then we got shot at by our own side by accident"
"at one point, something interesting happened, but it was to other people, not me"

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Are you paraphrasing or is it verbatim? It's very brief yet surprisingly vivid and somehow personal, really appreciate you posting it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FastestGunAlive posted:

Are you paraphrasing or is it verbatim? It's very brief yet surprisingly vivid and somehow personal, really appreciate you posting it.

Straight copy of the actual book I have. In the first few posts I put the actual German ranks but its more annoying to go back and forth and figure out which rank it might be.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

The young Schwarzenegger had a pretty strong Styrian accent, eh, or you could say that he mostly spoke the dialect. Absolute hillbilly german.
coming from you this is funny, since everyone south of memmingen is incomprehensible to me

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

HEY GAIL posted:

coming from you this is funny, since everyone south of memmingen is incomprehensible to me

Technically, I'm not south of Memmingen. Even in an island of relative standard german.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Technically, I'm not south of Memmingen. Even in an island of relative standard german.

technically, everything that's more than fifty miles away from the czech/saxon border can suck my dick!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Now I'm worried that my German is like, west country German or something. Like how most ESL speakers do it with a pronounced American accent.

I imagine at this point it's more garbled Anglo-German which i guess is less embarrassing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JaucheCharly posted:

Years back I saw Total Recall on TV in Germany. It was dubbed, but Arnie did his own dubbing. His accent was interesting, to say the least.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

10 April: We are being transported on captured trucks now and go around Tobruk to the south. Our target is either Bardia or Sollum. Long-range artillery from Tobruk targets our advance. Karl Blum is severely wounded by artillery shrapnel. We can't stop and tend to him during the drive so we just do what we can for him. We call a halt well south of Tobruk to avoid their artillery.

25 April: This is a black day for us of the 3rd Platoon. As we marched along Via Balbia, with some men riding on trucks, we were attacked by our own Luftwaffe, one heavy bomb exploded next to a truck, killing:

Pvt. Otto Volskow
Pvt. Walther Braun
Pvt. Josef Schmidt
Pvt. Johann Scmid
Sgt. Ziegler
Sgt. Kurt Lange

and wounding: Gunthmann, Mihl, Rieck, Roschka, and Sgt. Lirka.

1st Platoon was detailed for burial and we buried them along Via Balbia between Ft. Capuzzo and Bardia.

I'm wondering whether the events of these two days are related. I suspect that's one of the hazards of using captured vehicles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ponzicar posted:

I'm wondering whether the events of these two days are related. I suspect that's one of the hazards of using captured vehicles.

It could be. British trucks were likely to be Austin K5s which have a pretty distinctive silhouette, but I think it's also a matter of "briefing said anything along the road past Point X is hostile, let's gently caress those guys up!" At a couple thousand feet and a couple hundred knots, life comes at you fast.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A photo I found on Tumblr of an Italian machine gun crew that drew the short end of the stick not only with their gun, but their position:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, at least they probably didn't get assaulted.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Years back I saw Total Recall on TV in Germany. It was dubbed, but Arnie did his own dubbing. His accent was interesting, to say the least.

It's making me so unreasonably happy that we're having a Dialektdebatte in the Militärgeschichtsfaden

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Siivola posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. They may have been hit by a mortar but not by an infantry assault.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

A photo I found on Tumblr of an Italian machine gun crew that drew the short end of the stick not only with their gun, but their position:

That looks way too big to be an MG.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

That looks way too big to be an MG.

Am reasonably sure it's one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_47/32

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Siivola posted:

otoh imagine what just one shell falling nearby would do

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, in the context of Mr. Fett's latest entry, what would be a British Hussar?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Yeah, its definitely that.

ponzicar posted:

There's a reason why anyone using captured stuff almost always has huge national markings.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, in the context of Mr. Fett's latest entry, what would be a British Hussar?

A tank unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Queen%27s_Own_Hussars#Second_World_War

Hussars were just a retained name from old units despite no longer using horses.

Edit: Lol I think I picked the exact unit referenced too!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cool, thanks. One more question: when the guy writes "we're hunting desert rats" are they literally doing that or is that a euphemism?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

Cool, thanks. One more question: when the guy writes "we're hunting desert rats" are they literally doing that or is that a euphemism?

Probably a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Armoured_Division_(United_Kingdom) or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_Army_(United_Kingdom)

Both received the named "Desert Rats"

Edit: I'm not 100% sure which though. They were low on food at one point...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 20, 2017

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014

HEY GAIL posted:

technically, everything that's more than fifty miles away from the czech/saxon border can suck my dick!

Saxons are practically the Danes of Germany. I'm glad I don't have to directly communicate with them. No joke, it took me months to realize they were supposed to be speaking German when I moved in.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
While we are at war diaries, Croatian History Museum has a war diary of one Stjepan Kolander, croatian domobran in world war 1. And it is hilarious in its terribleness, mostly war crimes and booze and a very detailed description of food.

Is there any interest in me attempting to translate some of this stuff?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Gervasius posted:

While we are at war diaries, Croatian History Museum has a war diary of one Stjepan Kolander, croatian domobran in world war 1. And it is hilarious in its terribleness, mostly war crimes and booze and a very detailed description of food.

Is there any interest in me attempting to translate some of this stuff?

Absolutely.

e: I mean, you could just post it here, that works for me, too. :v: But I figure other goons would like to see it in English.

my dad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 21, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

e: I mean, you could just post it here, that works for me, too. :v:
considering you're so multilingual and everything :v:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone in Lazyfire's Battlefield 1 LP thread posted the behind the scenes recording of German multiplayer voices. It's pretty hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukmL-fznF2U

lol

SeanBeansShako posted:

I like to think the gas problem with the needle gun is the reason why there was so much crazy facial hair in the mid 19th century Prussian army.

also lol

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 21, 2017

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Meet Stjepan Kolander, born January 6. 1891 in Zagreb, Croatia.

Born in a somewhat wealthy family (father was a composer and organist in Zagreb Cathedral) and grew up on Radiceva street in Zagreb. Finished trade school, speaks german and croatian. Joined 25th Home Guard Infantry Regiment of Austro-Hungarian army as naslovni razvodnik (equivalent of Private 1st class or E-3) before the war.

He wrote twenty volumes of his war diary, from the beginning of the war in 1914. to 1918 called simply "From the frontline I-XX".

Here's the original, and if my dad wants to translate something, go ahead.

http://www.bezrumanemasturma.hismus.hr/index.html

I'm at work now with a pretty serious fever so I'll try to do first serious translation tomorrow.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 21, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If none of you fuckers translates that I will hunt you down and hire someone to punch you

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bahahahaha, this is gonna be awesome. Reading now.

e: That poem. :cripes:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Krengel Diary Part 7

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

22 May: There is news that a British convoy was sunk in the Mediterranean. We are at camp to refit and repair equipment. We are also building a wooden shelter, as it is too hot in the tents. We get news that we have captured Crete, and that the British ship Hood was sunk by the Bismarck.

British convoy may refer to ships sunk at Souda Bay on the 16th-17th-18th of May, or a reference to Convoy HX 126 which lost 9 ships on the 20th and 21st of May, or just a reference to warships lost during the Battle of Crete (They lost 4 warships split evenly between the 21st and 22nd of May, and would lose another 2 on the 23rd.)

26 May: At 11:30 AM we have an assembly. We are being transferred and converted to Divisional Reserve with the 5th Motorcycle Group. A rumor is circulating that we have been selected for an attack on Halfaya Pass, but tonight we join a Panzer unit at Sidi Suleiman. We hear that the Bismarck is in a battle in the Atlantic.

27 May: We depart at 1 AM for Capuzzo, from there we move to an attack position. At 5 AM we start the attack on the pass. At 6:30 AM we dismount our vehicles and clamber up rocky hills, pushing the British back toward the coast. We captured several tanks and guns and 300 POWs. At 4 PM we return to our camp and get the news that the Bismarck has been sunk.

28 May: Our last day at Sidi Azeiz; we set off at 11:30 PM for Tobruk with all wheeled vehicles. I'm in the Jeep. Eighteen miles from Tobruk we stop for the night and gas up our vehicles at a supply depot during the night of the 29th.

30 May: Our unit departs, minus those of us in our Jeep. We mistakengly put diesel in our gasoline engine; took us half an hour to drain the stuff out and race after the Company. South of Tobruk we hit a mine but we are both okay. The front axle broke in half, so we wait for a tow. Two hours later we are still waiting. A truck finally arrives but he too runs over a mine. We search the area and find 4 more of the devices. It's dark now, so we sleep in a wadi nearby.

31 May: At 9 AM a recovery truck arrives and we are towed to the west of Tobruk. Our advance party has found a nice place to set up camp between dunes, right by the seashore.

1 June: We are sitting at the rest camp in the dunes. Eric will recuperate a few days in Derna. Things are quiet from 1 to 8 June, but on the 9th the British remind us that there is a war going on and attack with a few fighter-bombers. Two of our Bf-109's take up the challenge and shoot two of them down.

10 June: Inspection Day - and it is a hot day. The inspection went something like this:

Sgt.Tapper to Pvt.Bolten: "You haven't got a towel, Bolten?"
Pvt.Bolten: "No, Sir."
Sgt.Tapper: "Then what do you use for drying?"
Pvt.Bolten: "The Sun, Sir."

That was about it.

12 June: Today our vehicles get a new camouflage coat of paint, which dries in seconds in this heat. The next evening orders arrive for us to move out.

14 June: We're ready at 5 AM to depart this nice camp. We move out at 10 AM and immediately come under fighter-bomber attack. Gehrke is killed; Reschke and Heichen are wounded. We march south of Tobruk to our old haunts in Sidi Azeiz.

16 June: We have a flat tire on our Jeep and are under constant attack by British aircraft but they don't do much damage. We are told that the enemy has now lost 60 tanks at Halfaya Pass and that a British attempt to land by sea in our rear at Bardia has been repulsed.

17 June: We attack Sidi Omar but the enemy puts up heavy resistance. Two machine gun battalions attack and take the town finally, despite heavy losses. The enemy attacks with aircraft but without success. Our Italian Air Force "friends" have better luck, or maybe worse luck - they bombed our 39th Anti-Tank Regiment twice today, killing and wounding 50 of our troops. When they come around a third time we send an open radio message to their leader, "Please could you bomb the enemy by mistake for once. You are attacking the wrong side." They turn off this time but we take no chances and disperse our group.

Found this on Wikipedia.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

Bahahahaha, this is gonna be awesome. Reading now.

e: That poem. :cripes:
bad war poetry you say? :getin:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its almost as if the Italians were trying to sabotage the Axis from the inside.The germans would have suffered less if the they'd had to fight the Italians instead.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Carcer posted:

Its almost as if the Italians were trying to sabotage the Axis from the inside.The germans would have suffered less if the they'd had to fight the Italians instead.
hey, his own air force also bombed him at one point

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HEY GAIL posted:

Name of the whole thing is Kein Sturm ohne Rum.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAIL posted:

It's someone's poem about the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand, and it's, well, very 1914.

I'm randomly opening January 1915 stuff, it's mostly short summaries and cut out pages of Jutarnji List.

e: ^^^^ Oh god, I didn't even pay attention to that, haha

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

hey, his own air force also bombed him at one point

True, but based on the dairy they were probably using captured vehicles at the time and out on the open road, not participating in an attack on a town where who was on what side should have been far more obvious. The Italians also nearly did it three times in a row.

Also, when did your name change?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Carcer posted:

True, but based on the dairy they were probably using captured vehicles at the time and out on the open road, not participating in an attack on a town where who was on what side should have been far more obvious. The Italians also nearly did it three times in a row.

Also, when did your name change?
a while ago. i wanted to get HEGEL back but someone else has it i think, so i asked Grand Fromage to ask the admins to do something, and this is the result i got

next time, perhaps HEY GHOUL? (for halloween, at least)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, man, the names that just show up written with a little cross by the side. You know exactly why it's there, and wonder who they were and what they were like. And you'll never know. :sigh: