Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So Called Christian, on duty, and reporting for HELLFIRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
There's a typo.

It's meant to be read, "Obey Jesus or He'll Fire https://www.christianinterviews.com"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Devil Healer$

the $ is critical here

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAIL posted:

Aristotle East and West is good

Thanks, this looks just like what I was looking for.

fake edit: went down a Mass setting rabbit hole. We're using Mass of Redemption. I've also been to a parish where they've used Mass of Light before, which I like a little better. Organ only at both parishes.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
I experience terrible anxiety sometimes. The 2016 election cycle brought it to the point of being unbearable at times. When I'm at really low moments I read homilies by John Chrysostom. I was feeling pretty gross about the inauguration tomorrow and I read through his Easter homily about the harrowing of hell. It gives me peace.
Not much of a coherent statement there, just thought I'd mention that.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm watching The Mission tomorrow.

"If might is right, then love has no place in the world. It may be so, it may be so. But I don't have the strength to live in a world like that, Rodrigo. ."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i'm going to do tomorrow what i should have been doing for the past three days, which is archival research

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAIL posted:

i'm going to do tomorrow what i should have been doing for the past three days, which is archival research

頑張って、ヘーゲルさん

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

i *hope* this is unrelated :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Senju Kannon posted:

頑張って、ヘーゲルさん
chop wood, carry documents

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Situate papers, acquire grade

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Why do the Eastern Orthodox have such cool titles.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY PROTOPRESBYTER VERSUS THE HIEROMONK LIVE ON PPV

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

This is the truest poo poo. "Hieromonk" is the best.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

is that pray-per-view or pay-per-vespers, one inquires? :j:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I still don't know what a Protopresbyter is.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

I still don't know what a Protopresbyter is.

I dunno, I was looking at maybe going to the Greek Orthodox church this weekend instead of RCIA and it's headed by a protopresbyter

I think that means like an archpriest or something, but I assume he's an android traveling back in time from the future ready to chrismate and commune infants.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Those are magnificent names. I'm getting a very Byzantium vibe off all these.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
There's an interesting parallel between Origenism and the Buddhist concept of the kalpas. Namely, the idea of a cyclical universe.

Anyway I don't have an astrophysics background (only math) so I can't really discern whether this is good science or not, but it turns out that apocatastasis may be right. Origen knew. Augustine lied, thousands died.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

There's an interesting parallel between Origenism and the Buddhist concept of the kalpas. Namely, the idea of a cyclical universe.

The Greek philosophers probably had more than a passing contact with Indian thought.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Welp guys I have a shingles outbreak on my face and it suuuuucks. Would appreciate prayers for a swift recovery and for my roommate who isn't sure that they had chickenpox (and therefore has a small risk of catching it from me).

The silver lining is it's pretty amusing seeing the look on peoples' faces when they spot my face, I look like something out of a horror show :v:

e: I'm like Baron Harkonnen from David Lynch's 1984 Dune

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pellisworth posted:

Stay away from heart plugs.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Welp guys I have a shingles outbreak on my face and it suuuuucks. Would appreciate prayers for a swift recovery and for my roommate who isn't sure that they had chickenpox (and therefore has a small risk of catching it from me).

Well, considering the timing...the patron saint of shingles (St. Anthony of the Desert) just had his feast day. on the 17th.

Congratulations! You've been given a gift from God. Wear it well.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Pellisworth posted:

The silver lining is it's pretty amusing seeing the look on peoples' faces when they spot my face, I look like something out of a horror show :v:

I had shingles six years ago, but not on my face. It is awful. My scars still hurt.

Offer some of it up for us!

I imagine in heaven someone gives St. Anthony a hard time for being patron of shingles.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

Liturgigoon With Oozing Sores Seeks Same

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

See, that's what Baron Harkonnen lacked, a good natured sense of humor that can laugh at one's situation.

Get well soon!

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Anyway I don't have an astrophysics background (only math) so I can't really discern whether this is good science or not, but it turns out that apocatastasis may be right. Origen knew. Augustine lied, thousands died.

This is a very odd, odd way of getting to a recurring universe. Very odd indeed. Typically, a big crunch idea is proposed. The thinking is beyond me here.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Your roommate should get vaccinated asap, chickenpox is dangerous for adults. I wish you a swift recovery!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks for the support and prayers, liturgigoons. My roomie is indeed getting vaccinated and maybe preventative anti-viral meds, the absolute worst thing I could do is give someone chickenpox.

My prognosis is very good since I went to a doctor early and have started antivirals, it will be a miserable week for me but so far it's just mostly extremely uncomfortable. We'll see how I sleep the next couple of nights...

I'll blame this on Trump being inaugurated since it started on that exact day.

edit:

Photographs of the early stages of rash on my cheek, behind my ear, and on my neck and shoulder. It's not that gross right now, but it's going to get a lot worse. Don't worry, I'm not going to post any more picture updates on the status of my pustulating face-sores.

Spoilered for slight eww factor:

Thankfully, it doesn't itch, there's just a mild burning/pain sensation. I caught this early on in the infection, thankfully, and I should avoid any significant complications. Sorry to hear about your lingering pain, Worthleast, I'm hoping and praying I don't end up with significant scarring or persistent pain.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 22, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Pellisworth posted:

Photographs of the early stages of rash on my cheek, behind my ear, and on my neck and shoulder. It's not that gross right now, but it's going to get a lot worse. Don't worry, I'm not going to post any more picture updates on the status of my pustulating face-sores.

St. Catherine of Siena is salivating right now. If you don't know what I'm talking about, uh...don't look it up.

Anyway, hope you have a swift recovery!

e: Mass was awesome today, a fire and brimstone homily from the old priest that really warmed the cockles of my twisted and blackened Calvinist heart.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 22, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i thought you were going to an orthodox church today? :(:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I did! Mass was at 8 AM, the catechumens (us) were dismissed at about 8:30, I talked to the dude who was doing the presentation today (he's an early church historian, which is my area of expertise, so that was a fun conversation) and then I bounced off to the Divine Liturgy since it's held at 10 AM.

It was incredibly beautiful and I had NO idea what was going on. And then three families invited me to go out and eat lunch with them. gently caress the phyletism, you Orthodox are pretty nice. At my parish they bolt for the doors once they hear "Mass has ended."

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's not phyletism! it's not like irish catholics are a different religion from the french or mexicans, it's just a different "feel." Now add to that a separate administration for each locality and there you go, that's all.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

My parish traditionally holds a reception (basically Mass with dinner afterwards) for all the many volunteers being involved in the parish on the Sunday after the feast of St Vincent Pallotti. For me it was the first time today, and there was some ridiculously good food (wayyy better than at my last parish in Vienna) served by young cassock-wearing priests, and if my English is a little off today it's because of the plentiful beer I consumed. I love being home again :allears:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/GMoney__305/status/823319524661493761/video/1

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I was invited to partake of the greater blessing of the waters of Theophany today, which, coming from a Congregational background, was an interesting experience. I saw this big basin of water, and thought there was going to be a baptism. The homily was very good, and during the lunch afterwards I had a very lovely chat with the Bishop who delivered it.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
https://youtu.be/KpbIRpew1xw

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

um, wowwwwww

Is there more video to this, did he snub any other non-white clergy?

e: and how is he that wealthy while also having such poo poo tailoring, dude is obviously super fat and uncomfortable about it and his suit isn't helping

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 23, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

um, wowwwwww

Is there more video to this, did he snub any other non-white clergy?
as i saw it, the priest/bishop in purple snubbed him (and rightly so), leaving his crozier in his right hand to forestall handshaking attempts. now that i look at it again your version works too, i guess

and i suppose the answer to your question depends on whether greeks are white :v:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 23, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

as i saw it, the priest/bishop in purple snubbed him (and rightly so), leaving his crozier in his right hand to forestall handshaking attempts. now that i look at it again your version works too, i guess

and i suppose the answer to your question depends on whether greeks are white :v:

yeah you're right, the black priest/bishop switches his crozier to his right hand to blow off Trump

I still maintain his suit is atrocious, everytime you see him just remember he's a super fat, old, and bald dude desperately pretending he's attractive to the ladies

if you keep that in mind I expect it will predict 99% of his actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I still maintain his suit is atrocious
it's terrible. he wears brioni suits, which cost about $3k-$5k each, but they're off-the-rack and i don't think he has them tailored at all after he buys them. (obama has his custom-tailored.) he's probably getting them too large because he believes this makes him look less fat, which is false. he also wears his tie too long and scotch-tapes the skinny end of the tie to the fat end instead of sticking it through the little loop in the back--he went to his own swearing-in like this.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 23, 2017

• Locked thread