Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sugar cane is pretty useless in TFC. Even fully grown and processed, sugar cane yields a tiny amount of sugar, and sugar is only useful for rum. Making alcohol from other plants is far easier (especially vodka.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dalaram posted:

All right, even with TFC-EZ, gently caress terrafirmacraft.

The biome generation size is too huge, for no practical use. I don't need thousands of kilometers of the same biome in every direction for immersion. I shouldn't have to switch to creative and fly for 10 kilometers till I can find a sedimentary stone I can use for flux.

Even with all the quality of life improvements TFC-EZ makes, thousands of kilometers of biome that mean nothing but an annoying walk have soured me on trying to play this. Is there a way to make it not quite so massive? I don't really care if that means that desert is next to forest is next to tundra. I just would like to actually play.

The biome size is most definitely a pain in the rear end and its relationship with world generation is one of my biggest turnoffs to TFC. I don't think there's even anything in the configuration to reduce the distance between poles to tighten up the climates. The world I'm using is doing pretty good, but I'm still in a 10km region of dacite. I found some borax somewhere and managed to get my flux from it, but that's it. All I can wonder is if there is a TFC-compatible mod for inserting stuff like globs of otherwise scarce resources. I am thinking like the CoFH oregen override rules, but I don't know if CoFH would work with TFC.

So on the topic of worldgen:

Krakatoah posted:

So I've been giving TNFC EZ a good try and I'm still not sure what constitutes as a good area for me to settle down in, can anyone give me some pointers on that?

Don't even bother with the world you got if you:
1. Start on an island without wood, unless you're fine with cheating in a boat, going possibly 2km across ocean, finding a new continent, and setting your spawn.
2. Start surrounded by forests where the sky is completely blotted out. Mobs are going to be constantly spawning. It's a fun challenge, maybe, but I don't recommended it. You're going to be dealing with monsters constantly while trying to find growable food and metals on the ground. Acacia forests are an example of bad news.
3. Start surrounded by short grass and very little trees. You probably won't find clay forever.
4. General rule not to start in the region +/- Z=5k nor +/- Z=18k. Basically, Z=0 is the equator and being close to it means issues with vegetation. There won't be any winter snow nearby for an ice box. Going too far away puts you in the arctic where it's probably also dry and nothing is growing.

I imagine some people will weigh in on the Z coordinates for climate. I haven't really figured out better numbers yet and hope I never do by myself. There might be an easier rule of thumb based on what the temperature is at the moment you spawn in the new world.

Points going in favor of good starting area:
1. Within just a few chunks is a bunch of trees, of which at least one is over 5 units high. That means you can get some wood.
2. There are clearings or you can quickly make one. So certain forests are okay if there are at least some clear patches.
3. The ocean is within 2 chunks so you can rapidly run off to a different rock type by traveling on water.
4. There is a source of fresh water. This could be ponds, freshwater ocean spots, or rivers.
5. There is clay. Look for golden rod flowers because they grow on top of clay deposits.
6. The grass is full size.
7. A copper ore (native copper, tetrahedrite) is on the ground.

I think a lot of people will first dig into the clay because it doesn't fall like regular dirt. I like to find a mound where I can have two blocks of dirt perimeter after I dig it out; you need that much to keep the dirt from collapsing, and I put log roof over it. You want to be able to run a fire nearby without it burning down whatever you erect. Finally, I've seen it recommended to close yourself in over some water so you can pan the whole night. I can see the logic behind it because the first night is like a warzone where it's 99% boredom and 1% sheer terror.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The biome size is most definitely a pain in the rear end and its relationship with world generation is one of my biggest turnoffs to TFC. I don't think there's even anything in the configuration to reduce the distance between poles to tighten up the climates. The world I'm using is doing pretty good, but I'm still in a 10km region of dacite. I found some borax somewhere and managed to get my flux from it, but that's it. All I can wonder is if there is a TFC-compatible mod for inserting stuff like globs of otherwise scarce resources. I am thinking like the CoFH oregen override rules, but I don't know if CoFH would work with TFC.

I forgot about borax - maybe I'll see if it spawns in some of the sedimentary rock near me (gently caress you gneiss) to salvage this game.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i started a new TFC world on a lark and i had three kinds of flux and borax near me, but no clay :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i started a new TFC world on a lark and i had three kinds of flux and borax near me, but no clay :v:

Hehehe in a regular TFC pack with normal rules, the best I can hope for is two out of three: wood, clay, copper. I can't even think about flux.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dalaram posted:

I forgot about borax - maybe I'll see if it spawns in some of the sedimentary rock near me (gently caress you gneiss) to salvage this game.
I thought I'd mentioned it in the quest book re: flux, if not I'll have to add that in because it was a big convenience change I'd tried to make.
In EZ, borax spawns in every stone type as the most common deposit. It spawns about 1 in every 18 chunks (per stone layer, maybe?). However it also only spawns a vein starting at or above surface level, so you're best looking in hills, cliffs, mountains, and any areas that are generally above sea level. Should be findable after some looking, a prospector's pick will help things a bit. Though honestly I should probably have made them even more common.

Actually, before I posted that I took a quick run through on a few test worlds and found that while borax was spawning, it was far less common than it should be. The problem was the defined heights: apparently in TFC if a vein would pass outside that height the whole thing gets canceled. I made Borax viable for a slightly deeper range and now it should be plentiful again.
The update's been pushed just now, but if you want you can edit it yourself:
TFCOre.cfg in the config folder
Scroll down to "Borax", then change I:"Minimum Height"=128 to I:"Minimum Height"=75

This will require a new world or at least newly-generated chunks to see, though. You could always prune your existing world's chunks in MCEdit, too.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Is there a mod that pauses the game while I'm in inventory or crafting? Don't judge me.

And/or, is there a mod that allows me to adjust the in-game timescale? 20 minutes per in game day feels ridiculously fast for me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You would think TFC would have potash in it; it seems to be right up it's alley. That's fine for flux as well as fertilizer.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You would think TFC would have potash in it; it seems to be right up it's alley. That's fine for flux as well as fertilizer.
Honestly, if we're going by early metallurgy, even coal coke and charcoal should be viable metallurgic fluxes. Charcoal's already used in bloomery ironmaking and blast furnace steel production as it is, though.
Minetweaker adds custom recipes but I'm not sure I'd be able to add wholly new items like potash without getting knee-deep in real modding again.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Is there a mod that pauses the game while I'm in inventory or crafting? Don't judge me.
Not that know of, which is a shame, especially in mods like TFC where every day is important.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend a good adventure map, or map that starts you with a base? I liked regrowth, blightfall, and the agrarian skies 1 and two. The latest version of thaumcraft would be nice too.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 20, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Can anyone recommend a good adventure map, or map that starts you with a base? I liked regrowth, blightfall, and the agrarian skies 1 and two. The latest version of thaumcraft would be nice too.

Wanting the 'latest' version of Thaumcraft is a bit tricky because the last actual release of it was for 1.8.9, which basically nothing else supports. Azanor is still working on it, but the next version of it is going to be a complete overhaul, so I wouldn't expect it too soon.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Black Pants posted:

Wanting the 'latest' version of Thaumcraft is a bit tricky because the last actual release of it was for 1.8.9, which basically nothing else supports. Azanor is still working on it, but the next version of it is going to be a complete overhaul, so I wouldn't expect it too soon.

Bleh. Well anything else out there for a fun HQM map?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Black Pants posted:

Azanor is still working on it, but the next version of it is going to be a complete overhaul, so I wouldn't expect it too soon.
thaumcraft.txt

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
*starts TFC for the first time*

*Gets eaten by bear five seconds later*

This is... fun?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jagged Jim posted:

This is... fun?

I think you'll find nobody here has called TFC fun. Can be satisfying to survive though.

As for HQM packs, well. If you're looking for a story, there's nothing better than Blightfall and Regrowth without going pre-1.7. There are a LOT of HQM packs where the quest book is just to guide you and give you rewards for doing stuff. Then there are packs with something of a story but it's mainly just a framing device for a reason to have you needing to survive somewhere and a goal. YMMV, but I liked The Aftermath, a lot of people didn't. Then there's the aforementioned TechnodeFirmaCraft EZ that Vib Rib has put together. EZ in this case is rather relative.

Speaking of HQM packs, I was looking around on Curse for popular stuff recently and found something called Universal: Interdimensional Escape. Which turned out to be a hugely mod-heavy skyblock pack with fast leaf decay that causes all of your starting tree's saplings to drop into the void as soon as you break the top log. Which seemed kind of like a critical flaw to me.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 21, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Bleh. Well anything else out there for a fun HQM map?

Baby's First Space Race on Technic is pretty great (and Rocko made it and posts in this thread a lot) - it's a good way of either exploring mods for the first time, or simply having a more accelerated modpack experience.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Black Pants posted:

I think you'll find nobody here has called TFC fun. Can be satisfying to survive though.

As for HQM packs, well. If you're looking for a story, there's nothing better than Blightfall and Regrowth without going pre-1.7. There are a LOT of HQM packs where the quest book is just to guide you and give you rewards for doing stuff. Then there are packs with something of a story but it's mainly just a framing device for a reason to have you needing to survive somewhere and a goal. YMMV, but I liked The Aftermath, a lot of people didn't. Then there's the aforementioned TechnodeFirmaCraft EZ that Vib Rib has put together. EZ in this case is rather relative.

Speaking of HQM packs, I was looking around on Curse for popular stuff recently and found something called Universal: Interdimensional Escape. Which turned out to be a hugely mod-heavy skyblock pack with fast leaf decay that causes all of your starting tree's saplings to drop into the void as soon as you break the top log. Which seemed kind of like a critical flaw to me.

I've never really tried Regrowth, what's it about?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Krakatoah posted:

Regrowth is pretty good.

You start and there is no trees or dirt or anything and you have to try to bring nature back.

It relies on agricraft for resources.

Unfortunately it also relies on witchery to turn the land back to normal and after 4 tries i still have no idea how witchery even works.

If i ever found a HQM pack that focused on teaching you how to use witchery id probably do a 5th regrowth

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Krakatoah posted:

You, uh.. wake up in a completely desolate, burned out world where the only remaining trees are barely sticks and ash (though there's plenty of oceans and Mariculture ocean life but whatever) and all the ore is gone, and you embark on a wild adventure trying to figure out what happened and restore everything. And by wild adventure I mean you use a whooooole lot of farming (and mariculture and bees if you're feeling saucy), magic and technology to bring life back to the world.

It's uh.. sort of a skyblock, minus the skyblock, in that there's no real exploration or action involved (with a few exceptions) and all of your resources will be grown in your fortress of solitude (unless you want to mine in the Nether). I think it's pretty interesting in how much work the creator put into using HQM and Minetweaker scripts to make a lot of mods interdependent (or at least interuseful), rather than just having them there for the sake of options. I also developed this really odd softness for standing around farming crops, so that helped at least my tolerance of the pack. Technically I never 'finished' Regrowth but that's out of a completely prejudicial, irrational hatred of Millenaire. USE THE loving BUILT IN KEYBIND INTERFACE, gently caress.

My tip for anyone who plays it is to find an ocean, and then once you've found an ocean, find an island. The world is rather hostile at night, and lots of water is good for farming and fishing. Also, unlike most things, AE2 doesn't have a quest to 'unlock' it, you just need to have Certus seeds and a Buildcraft assembly table. I waited far too long for a quest to show up before I realised I could just craft the inscriber plates myself.

Meskhenet posted:

Regrowth is pretty good.

You start and there is no trees or dirt or anything and you have to try to bring nature back.

It relies on agricraft for resources.

Unfortunately it also relies on witchery to turn the land back to normal and after 4 tries i still have no idea how witchery even works.

If i ever found a HQM pack that focused on teaching you how to use witchery id probably do a 5th regrowth

I dunno about you but I literally learned about Witchery IN Regrowth. I had to go out and look up how most of it worked though. I haven't seen anything that has given a more in-depth guide of Witchery than Regrowth though.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 21, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

You, uh.. wake up in a completely desolate, burned out world where the only remaining trees are barely sticks and ash (though there's plenty of oceans and Mariculture ocean life but whatever) and all the ore is gone, and you embark on a wild adventure trying to figure out what happened and restore everything. And by wild adventure I mean you use a whooooole lot of farming (and mariculture and bees if you're feeling saucy), magic and technology to bring life back to the world.

It's uh.. sort of a skyblock, minus the skyblock, in that there's no real exploration or action involved (with a few exceptions) and all of your resources will be grown in your fortress of solitude (unless you want to mine in the Nether). I think it's pretty interesting in how much work the creator put into using HQM and Minetweaker scripts to make a lot of mods interdependent (or at least interuseful), rather than just having them there for the sake of options. I also developed this really odd softness for standing around farming crops, so that helped at least my tolerance of the pack. Technically I never 'finished' Regrowth but that's out of a completely prejudicial, irrational hatred of Millenaire. USE THE loving BUILT IN KEYBIND INTERFACE, gently caress.

My tip for anyone who plays it is to find an ocean, and then once you've found an ocean, find an island. The world is rather hostile at night, and lots of water is good for farming and fishing. Also, unlike most things, AE2 doesn't have a quest to 'unlock' it, you just need to have Certus seeds and a Buildcraft assembly table. I waited far too long for a quest to show up before I realised I could just craft the inscriber plates myself.

I dunno about you but I literally learned about Witchery IN Regrowth. I had to go out and look up how most of it worked though. I haven't seen anything that has given a more in-depth guide of Witchery than Regrowth though.

Yeah i got as far in witchery as i did (a little bit more each attempt) through looking stuff up. Which isnt how i want to learn it.

I think i left off with my base spewing out all the harvested crops as all my chest space was full.
I had a rats nest of buildcraft pipes that i hated.
I didnt evne know it had AE2 in there, that would solve all the storage problems.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

With Witchery what I did was put down a large area of dirt and stuff it full of tree's, moss and other witchery related things to build altar power. It's still annoying as gently caress though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jagged Jim posted:

This is... fun?
Well, this may not be much of a consolation, but in case it's not obvious, that's generally not a thing that's supposed to happen. Like yeah, it's hilariously bad luck, but it's not like TFC is designed to intentionally spawn a bear on top of you when you spawn in.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Does anyone have any experience with this error? I'm trying to connect to a HostHorde server that was working fine as of this morning, but is now giving me "Internal Exception: java.io.IOException: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine." Googling around leads me to not much, just some recommendations to turn off your firewall. I've already tried that, and it didn't fix the issue. Could it be on the server side? Afaik, there's nothing new that would prevent a connection onto the server by the server itself.

EDIT: Of course, as soon as I post this, the error message changes to a more generic "a fatal error has occured. the connection was terminated" instead. It seems to switch between the two randomly.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 21, 2017

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly, if we're going by early metallurgy, even coal coke and charcoal should be viable metallurgic fluxes. Charcoal's already used in bloomery ironmaking and blast furnace steel production as it is, though.
Minetweaker adds custom recipes but I'm not sure I'd be able to add wholly new items like potash without getting knee-deep in real modding again.

Not that know of, which is a shame, especially in mods like TFC where every day is important.

Even sand can be used as a flux, I've seen it done with actual real life forge welding. They did it to see how it'd work, and their conclusion was that sand isn't as good as borax, but is way better than nothing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I've recently started learning Modular Force Field Systems, and it's surprisingly easy to use! I should have been using this ages ago!

Also, remote Fortron delivery :v:

Also also magic crops farm.

Maybe one day I'll manage not to build giant ugly squares. :/

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ak Gara posted:

I've recently started learning Modular Force Field Systems, and it's surprisingly easy to use! I should have been using this ages ago!

What are those giant green columns?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ak Gara posted:

Thank god Calcavia isn't doing that anymore, so much client only code in universal mods.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

As neat as MFFS is, I can't actually think of a use for it in single player.

Falcon2001 posted:

What are those giant green columns?

Water in a Jungle biome.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Ak Gara posted:

As neat as MFFS is, I can't actually think of a use for it in single player.

MFFS, at least the pre-1.7 version, can be used as an extremely powerful and fast filler/quarry (Basically survival WorldEdit). It can mine an enormous spherical area so fast that other mods have trouble keeping up with the item output (jamming speed upgrades in nearly every slot), or you can use the available configuration slots to mine a very precise (and still quite large) area instead. You can use it to assist in building stuff too, if you don't mind doing the direction-card math.

The only issue I ever had with it was when it tried to mine the pseudo-blocks created by an MFR laser. I had to learn how to scan NBT data to find and delete the program card in the controller block to shut it off because it would crash whenever a player approached it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
MFFS owns for building anything you want several times in the same shape. Build it once, clone it with cards, use MFFS to build it every other time. I used to use it to build those big multiblock tanks and stuff like that.

You can also turn areas into floating islands with similar methods if I recall.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can just use RFTools for that.

RFTools Builder allows you to quarry/void/fill in an area/shapes, as well as letting you set an area to move/clone.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 24, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So what's the most realistic/fully featured Minecraft farming mod?

I'm trying to teach grade 7s about plants and poo poo, and a big part of this is land use, environmental impacts of managed vs natural environments, and general sustainability. Selective breeding and diseases are also a big part of this unit but I don't imagine anyone's made a mod for that.

So yeah, is there a mod that realistically lets you play with farming, simulating soil and sustainability? It would be amazing if it also featured diseases and pests and monoculturing, because I could just setup a trade depot where you sell your crops and are compelled economically to monocrop, only to be screwed when the netherlocusts come. I think I can get at the sustainability/environmentalism stuff just by plopping them in the middle of a lush jungle and having them clearcut the poo poo out of it for gazingus pins if I have to.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Terrafirmacraft is the only mod I know of that models soil nutrients, but that's a special snowflake shaped peg for your square hole

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Huh, mining and automated building? Neat!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Black Pants posted:

You can just use RFTools for that.

RFTools Builder allows you to quarry/void/fill in an area/shapes, as well as letting you set an area to move/clone.

RFTools' builder and shield came after MFFS dropped off, which was handy because I find it easier to use, personally.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

So what's the most realistic/fully featured Minecraft farming mod?

I'm trying to teach grade 7s about plants and poo poo, and a big part of this is land use, environmental impacts of managed vs natural environments, and general sustainability. Selective breeding and diseases are also a big part of this unit but I don't imagine anyone's made a mod for that.

So yeah, is there a mod that realistically lets you play with farming, simulating soil and sustainability? It would be amazing if it also featured diseases and pests and monoculturing, because I could just setup a trade depot where you sell your crops and are compelled economically to monocrop, only to be screwed when the netherlocusts come. I think I can get at the sustainability/environmentalism stuff just by plopping them in the middle of a lush jungle and having them clearcut the poo poo out of it for gazingus pins if I have to.

While your cause is noble, nobody's made a Gregtech of farming for Minecraft so far. Agricraft is the best you're gonna get in the direction you're after.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Black Pants posted:

While your cause is noble, nobody's made a Gregtech of farming for Minecraft so far. Agricraft is the best you're gonna get in the direction you're after.

Hm, thanks. I'll play around with Agricraft and Terrafirmacraft (Forestry also looks good?) and see if I can massage things to get something close to what I need. I really wish there were more (any) ecosystem simulation games.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
In farming news, but totally the other spectrum, Harvest Festival is a pretty interesting mod for MC that essentially turns it into stardew valley / harvest moon. I've been playing a pack called Farming Valley on Curse that is based around it and so far? Pretty dang happy with it.

Major changes it makes:
  • Removes vanilla seeds, replaces them with it's own seeds
  • Adds a day counter and lengthens the day/night cycle a bit, and hunger is restored on wakeup (this more closely mirrors the idea of HM/SV daily stamina)
  • Crops grow once a day instead of quicker, but you can sleep at any time.
  • Buildings for new townsfolk are placed via blueprint and then a carpenter builds them up.
  • Goal is to rebuild a town bit by bit.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

tuyop posted:

Hm, thanks. I'll play around with Agricraft and Terrafirmacraft (Forestry also looks good?) and see if I can massage things to get something close to what I need. I really wish there were more (any) ecosystem simulation games.

Looks like someone forgot about Odell Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3XhWL3rEQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can Dwarf Fortress be considered an ecosystem simulation?

And that pack is good, Falcon? I saw it too while poking around HQM packs but I haven't tried it out.