Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

way to go steve posted:

I started about three weeks ago, and I've been wondering about leveling some guys too. I'm feeling like my limiting factor is my lack of good abilities, and I'd really like to get up through 120 difficulty stuff to get abilities and orbs. I'm hesitant to burn through my stocks of eggs/lodes though, mostly because I'm not sure what characters I want to be using. Does going from 50 to 65 make a huge difference?

Did my first couple pulls pretty much blindly, but I feel like I have some decent damage BSBs. I do have sentinel's and dr mogs, but no party haste and no healing SBs at all, except tailwind. And synergy is almost nonexistent. Am I just banging my head against a wall?

I find Tailwind to be great and Ramza is a fantastic support character. Tyro and Ramza can form a pretty solid core for you with Tailwind and SG. You can use a RW to pick up a hastega to bring with you. I'm also really paranoid about using eggs and lodes even though I'm a week 1 player but you get them at a pretty decent clip so I wouldn't worry about using them too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

KataraniSword posted:

Oddly enough, my own bottleneck is Major Holy Orbs, not Wind Orbs. I blame honing up Alexander to 5/5 to synergize with Hope OSB.

Same, I want to hone up Ultra Cure but it's competing with Multi-Break, Saint's Cross, Gaia Cross, and Alexander, all of which I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a lot more mileage out of.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

way to go steve posted:

I started about three weeks ago, and I've been wondering about leveling some guys too. I'm feeling like my limiting factor is my lack of good abilities, and I'd really like to get up through 120 difficulty stuff to get abilities and orbs. I'm hesitant to burn through my stocks of eggs/lodes though, mostly because I'm not sure what characters I want to be using. Does going from 50 to 65 make a huge difference?

Did my first couple pulls pretty much blindly, but I feel like I have some decent damage BSBs. I do have sentinel's and dr mogs, but no party haste and no healing SBs at all, except tailwind. And synergy is almost nonexistent. Am I just banging my head against a wall?

If you're able to get Platinum Sword for Ramza that'll give you Hastega and Boostga for a physical dps team. It's available on the Keeper's Choice 2 banner out now, banner 2 of the upcoming Final Fantasy Tactics Banner next week, and on the Keeper's Choice 3 banner that I think is coming out soon (Sheepsong is also on this banner which is hastega/faithga for mage teams). The Keeper's Choice banners also have a pool you can choose one 5 star relic from in addition to the normal 11 draw.

As far as healing soul breaks, there's one on each Keeper's Choice banner I believe (no bsbs though). The Summoners Nightmare banner has quite a few healer bsb and ssbs, but it's a pretty unfocused banner where you could just as easily get something useless. I'm not sure when the next good regular banner for healers is though (you could try for Eiko's Hamelin on banner 2 of the current FF9 event.)

Synergy will come with time, focusing on putting together an A team that can clear weekly events regularly is probably going to be more important. Synergy will become more important when tackling Cid missions.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I figure I'll just hone Ultra Cure once to 6 uses, as a replacement for esuna for fights that need it.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I find Tailwind to be great and Ramza is a fantastic support character. Tyro and Ramza can form a pretty solid core for you with Tailwind and SG. You can use a RW to pick up a hastega to bring with you. I'm also really paranoid about using eggs and lodes even though I'm a week 1 player but you get them at a pretty decent clip so I wouldn't worry about using them too much.

So you think RWing a hastega and leveling up might do it? I spent a while trying to get morbid countdown before the 13 event went away, but I got stuck healing with three characters per turn and wasn't able to push damage through before I ran out of heals. I do have protectga and shellga, unhoned.

Have BSBs for minfilia, raines, squall, gilgamesh and beatrix. Have SSB and OSB for gilga too, been using him a lot. I could use my eggs and finish upgrading gear if it's just a numbers issue, I just haven't wanted to burn too much when I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up using. This game throws an awful lot at you at the start, still getting my bearings.

Edit: I did three pulls on keepers choice 2 already, that got me squalls BSB, sentinels, and some bartz stuff? I still have two armors to pick from those, but I don't know if I need a shield or a robe or what. I've been kinda saving for tactics now, that has characters I like. I'd hate to get more dupes this early, I have 3 freakin genji swords

way to go steve fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 20, 2017

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok. Just gonna go ahead and not do the cid mission for the ix event. Went from full to zero on all but two characters from critically weak steiner's loving whatever bullshit.

Gonna have to bring sg on this one. This sucks, as I'm sure with higher leveled dudes I could have survived.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

way to go steve posted:

What are your damage BSB's? Sounds like your party should be Tyro, Ramza, two BSB's, and one healer. RW should be a hastega: Ramza's Shout if you're all-physical, or Onion Knight's BSB if you have a couple of magic users in there. You can probably get through the 120 stuff using the non-synergy 5* stuff. If your abilities aren't well-honed, that could be a problem, but the BSB's can help with that.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Sprite141 posted:

Ok. Just gonna go ahead and not do the cid mission for the ix event. Went from full to zero on all but two characters from critically weak steiner's loving whatever bullshit.

Gonna have to bring sg on this one. This sucks, as I'm sure with higher leveled dudes I could have survived.

Come to discord and we can help you out. Its basically making a FF9 mage team and using Cid Raines RW to spam darkness to kill them both in a few turns.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Sprite141 posted:

Steiner's Climhazard is the only magic attack in that fight. Bring Shellga and you'll survive it. Or just bring your mage team with Raines BSB and bank on the fact that it only has a 25% use chance below 50%, and the fact you can take him from 50% to dead before he can take a full action.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.

Sprite141 posted:

Charles Bukowski posted:

Come to discord and we can help you out. Its basically making a FF9 mage team and using Cid Raines RW to spam darkness to kill them both in a few turns.
In short;

RW: Cid Raines BSB
Caster 1: Kuja (RW)
Caster 2: Garnet/Vivi (RW)
Tank: Steiner/Beatrix
Support: Quina
Healer: Eiko/Garnet

Kuja gets Memento Mori for the magic bonus. Otherwise, abilities for Caster 1/2 don't matter. Backrow tank gets Drawfire/Gaia Cross, Mental Break (Or Attack Break if you're going 2x healers). Bounty Hunter RM is good here too. Support has Full Break/Power Breakdown, though you could drop them instead for a second healer if needed. Healer gets Curaja/Protectga. A second healer can fit in Memento of Prayer to remove Sap if you're unlucky enough to get hit by it.

As for the actual fight, focus down Steiner first. You might want to refrain from using Cid Raines BSB Command 2, despite the +mag bonus. It's AoE, and if Beatrix drops below 80% HP, she'll use Climhazzard to drop everyone's HP to 1. Depends on how much damage your casters are doing.

After Steiner is dead, you can just spam Command 1 on Beatrix. You should be able to pump out enough damage that all she'll be able to do is waste two turns in a row casting Climhazzard before dying.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Uhh, super important. Does cid raines' bsb command 1 pierce reflect?

Edit: Oh I was way ahead of you guys, but I was a bit busy with work so I didn't bother trying again until now. I didn't think it was possible, but as it turns out cid raines's bsb shits damage, holy poo poo. And dark poo poo.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Sprite141 posted:

Uhh, super important. Does cid raines' bsb command 1 pierce reflect?

Edit: Oh I was way ahead of you guys, but I was a bit busy with work so I didn't bother trying again until now. I didn't think it was possible, but as it turns out cid raines's bsb shits damage, holy poo poo. And dark poo poo.

I believe I've read that Lulu's BSB commands are the only ones that were ever reflectable?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

flowinprose posted:

I believe I've read that Lulu's BSB commands are the only ones that were ever reflectable?

Oh sweet. Well I decided to try the aoe command anyway, and I got the cid mission down. :toot:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

flowinprose posted:

Lulu's are for sure; I've been told that Terra's are as well but haven't had a chance to test it. Those are the only two I'm aware of with that particular flaw.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Any kind of metrics available of what level or party comp is needed to down certain difficulty levels? I see that I won't get those weekly soul break 2 crystals unless I can do a 120 difficulty dungeon. With a party of 80s and decent abilities is there a minimum difficulty that I should be able to reasonably pass without much effort?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
With 80's and enough honed abilities/sb's and you shouldn't have a problem completing level 120 difficulty dungeons. What are you having problem with?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Any kind of metrics available of what level or party comp is needed to down certain difficulty levels? I see that I won't get those weekly soul break 2 crystals unless I can do a 120 difficulty dungeon. With a party of 80s and decent abilities is there a minimum difficulty that I should be able to reasonably pass without much effort?

it kinds of varies based on what gear (especially synergy gear) and abilities you've got.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well I'm almost finished with story dungeons finally, my well of easy mythril is finally drying up :(

170 stam now. After that I guess it's grinding dailies for greens to get the rest of the shards (so I can buy them strategically during an orbfest or something).

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

Mitigation is absolutely huge in this game, so if you don't have shellga and protectga get those as soon as you can.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

way to go steve posted:

So you think RWing a hastega and leveling up might do it? I spent a while trying to get morbid countdown before the 13 event went away, but I got stuck healing with three characters per turn and wasn't able to push damage through before I ran out of heals. I do have protectga and shellga, unhoned.

Have BSBs for minfilia, raines, squall, gilgamesh and beatrix. Have SSB and OSB for gilga too, been using him a lot. I could use my eggs and finish upgrading gear if it's just a numbers issue, I just haven't wanted to burn too much when I'm not sure what I'm gonna end up using. This game throws an awful lot at you at the start, still getting my bearings.

Edit: I did three pulls on keepers choice 2 already, that got me squalls BSB, sentinels, and some bartz stuff? I still have two armors to pick from those, but I don't know if I need a shield or a robe or what. I've been kinda saving for tactics now, that has characters I like. I'd hate to get more dupes this early, I have 3 freakin genji swords

You'll be fine. You have some really good BSBs already. Just keep building up your stock of mythril, stamina and 4 star orbs to build up curajas, breakdowns, wrath/lifesiphon and proshellgas. Those are the main abilities aside from the trinity that'll get you over the 120+ hump.

I would also suggest you be very judicious about your banner pulls for now. Probably do this Nightmare summoners one coming up, but no more on the Choice 2.

Forget RW'ing hastega, btw. You should RW Medica BSBs like Vanille or Y'Shtola. Your burst modes will get you the haste you need. You just need survival for 120 or 140 because your BSBs should be strong enough as is.

I only started in late November and I can clear everything but Torments. My luck hasn't been as good as yours offensively, but with enough survival, you can beat almost anything.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Wow the multipliers on morbid countdown (4.5/7.5doomed) and reaping scythe (1.05/1.9doomed) are wayyyy different. I shattered scythe the second i realized.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Wow the multipliers on morbid countdown (4.5/7.5doomed) and reaping scythe (1.05/1.9doomed) are wayyyy different. I shattered scythe the second i realized.

well, uh, yeah, one of them is magic and the other is physical.

wait till you find out full charge only has half the multiplier of firaja

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Prav posted:

well, uh, yeah, one of them is magic and the other is physical.

ah poo poo

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tfw Sin is sworn in as President

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

So I figure, "Hey, why not start up on the JP version."

First Lucky Pull

:stare:

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

You'll be fine. You have some really good BSBs already. Just keep building up your stock of mythril, stamina and 4 star orbs to build up curajas, breakdowns, wrath/lifesiphon and proshellgas. Those are the main abilities aside from the trinity that'll get you over the 120+ hump.

I would also suggest you be very judicious about your banner pulls for now. Probably do this Nightmare summoners one coming up, but no more on the Choice 2.

Forget RW'ing hastega, btw. You should RW Medica BSBs like Vanille or Y'Shtola. Your burst modes will get you the haste you need. You just need survival for 120 or 140 because your BSBs should be strong enough as is.

I only started in late November and I can clear everything but Torments. My luck hasn't been as good as yours offensively, but with enough survival, you can beat almost anything.

Thanks. About to see what I can get through of the ff9 event, I'll look for those RWs. Is there some way to see what burst commands RWs give me in game? Not knowing what the healing bursts do has been troublesome.

And yeah, I definitely feel the pressure towards getting 4 star abilities, I'm trying to push into harder stuff so that I can get the orbs. I've barely crafted any abilities because I just don't know what's worth a drat. It looks like I'm going to need spells to get through the ranged-only ff10 fights, are the -gas worth making?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

way to go steve posted:

Thanks. About to see what I can get through of the ff9 event, I'll look for those RWs. Is there some way to see what burst commands RWs give me in game? Not knowing what the healing bursts do has been troublesome.

https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/game/951/wiki/Soul%20Break%20List_Burst%20Soul%20Break

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

They did specify in-game. And the answer is no, there is no way to see it in-game, which is pretty dumb. Sorry. For online references, I prefer to use: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16K1Zryyxrh7vdKVF1f7eRrUAOC5wuzvC3q2gFLch6LQ/edit?pli=1#gid=344457459

Under the "SB commands" tab, and search by the character name. First listed one is the 'attack' command, second one is the 'defend' burst command.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zurai posted:

Lulu's are for sure; I've been told that Terra's are as well but haven't had a chance to test it. Those are the only two I'm aware of with that particular flaw.

I just tested it out for the hell of it, since it's only 1 Stamina. Activated her Burst, then fired off a Chaos Watera at Beatrix; pierced right through Reflect without any issues. I didn't try it with Chaos Fira, but I would think it would work the same.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

They did specify in-game. And the answer is no, there is no way to see it in-game, which is pretty dumb. Sorry. For online references, I prefer to use: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16K1Zryyxrh7vdKVF1f7eRrUAOC5wuzvC3q2gFLch6LQ/edit?pli=1#gid=344457459

Under the "SB commands" tab, and search by the character name. First listed one is the 'attack' command, second one is the 'defend' burst command.

Not true there is.

If you hold down your finger over the BSB's Icon on the Soul Break selection menu it will show info on the Soul breaks and what the burst commands do.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Pepper posted:

Not true there is.

If you hold down your finger over the BSB's Icon on the Soul Break selection menu it will show info on the Soul breaks and what the burst commands do.

Have you tried this on the Roaming Warrior screen? It does not tell you the burst commands. C'mon people, reading comprehension! :eng99:

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it's kind of been a matter of guessing so far, but I've just been guessing and seeing what happens. That spreadsheet looks handy, but it's tough for me to absorb information just looking at a list, and I don't really care to look back and forth constantly.

Good news is, took down 120 difficulty kuja! Levelled a team up to 60, did some orb exchanging so I could make wrath for cid, and getting a yshtola BSB for my RW made all the difference. Having dr mogs to throw up wall without delay was pretty huge too. Now I've got some major orbs that I'm probably just going to break down to make/hone some essentials.

Hoping I can get as far on the ff10 event, seems like it wants more ranged/mage stuff than I have at the moment.

I'm sure most of you sleepwalk through this stuff, but it feels like progress to me

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

way to go steve posted:

Yeah, it's kind of been a matter of guessing so far, but I've just been guessing and seeing what happens. That spreadsheet looks handy, but it's tough for me to absorb information just looking at a list, and I don't really care to look back and forth constantly.

Good news is, took down 120 difficulty kuja! Levelled a team up to 60, did some orb exchanging so I could make wrath for cid, and getting a yshtola BSB for my RW made all the difference. Having dr mogs to throw up wall without delay was pretty huge too. Now I've got some major orbs that I'm probably just going to break down to make/hone some essentials.

Hoping I can get as far on the ff10 event, seems like it wants more ranged/mage stuff than I have at the moment.

I'm sure most of you sleepwalk through this stuff, but it feels like progress to me

We all had to start somewhere.

Well done :unsmith:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

UHD posted:

We all had to start somewhere.

Well done :unsmith:

a lot of us started when the content was way tamer than it is now

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Otoh, the tools people have now are way better. Remember when you had to fight bosses with no HP bars and no roaming warriors, no Shellga or Hastega, with medal conditions hidden until AFTER the boss fight, AND losing damage medals if your party lost more than 15% of their max HP? Good times.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

U-DO Burger posted:

Otoh, the tools people have now are way better. Remember when you had to fight bosses with no HP bars and no roaming warriors, no Shellga or Hastega, with medal conditions hidden until AFTER the boss fight, AND losing damage medals if your party lost more than 15% of their max HP? Good times.

Remember grinding for enough orbs to make some two-star ranged abilities to take down the dumb no-melee copter boss in the first FF7 event?

Ugh.

The Old Days were Bad Days.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You also couldn't use SB's unless you were equipped with the weapon that had the SB on it. We have come so far.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh I'm sorry, did it take your level 50 party THREE actions to kill that trash mob with 15000 HP? Guess those actions taken medals aren't that important to you huh :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Truly, the darkest age.

Remember when the highest level of EXP Daily was Jackanapes omni-absorb Hell and Ruinga/Valefor didn't exist? Then you likely also remember grinding on Flans in the Celes event. Forever.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 21, 2017

• Locked thread