Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

So, 2.6.1 mid Feb.

2.6.2 presumably mid or late March.

2.6.x on ?

So much for 3.0 in Q1. Late Q2 at the earliest confirmed.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

eonwe posted:

i dont really read this thread anymore but the thread title is pretty funny

:glomp:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Nicholas posted:

i'm thinking of buying a pc to play video games. what does everyone recommend

The minimum I would suggest is an i5 6500 and GTX 1060 if you plan on playing at 1080p. Also, don't skimp on a motherboard. A lot of people do this and it's really dumb because a higher quality motherboard will have more features, last longer, and have more options for upgrades in the future, as well as better voltage regulation, if you plan to overclock. It's seriously one of the most important components of a PC but a lot of people don't treat it as such.

e: Make sure you get a K series if you plan to overclock your CPU since non-K Intel CPU's don't have an unlocked multiplier.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

boviscopophobic posted:

This post was supposed to go in the Theoretical Cetology thread, but it's closed for "archiving", whatever that means. You can check there for the previous forum snapshot/demographic estimate that I refer to below.

JAN 2017 RSI DEMOGRAPHICS UPDATE

About 6 months and $25M have elapsed since the previous demographic snapshot of the RSI forum population. Updated funding-related statistics are summarized below. The methodology is mostly the same as in my previous post, so you can refer to that for details as well as an explanation of the meaning of each graph.

First off, the forum account vs RSI account rate discrepancy has stabilized at about 3.5, meaning that 3.5 RSI accounts are currently being created for every forum account. This ratio obviously spikes during free fly events.

For the funding-related graphs, the basic funding assumptions remain the same as last time, but there are three updates to the methodology. The first relates to closed accounts. Thanks to the wave of refunds post-Streetroller, I learned that is possible to determine with reasonable confidence if an RSI account has been closed, which generally indicates revocation due to refunds or possibly other misbehavior such as hacking. This latest set of summary graphs includes only accounts that were "alive" at the time of the snapshot. The previous set of graphs included a certain number of "dead" accounts, which affected the accuracy of the title counts.

The second change is that I've aggregated all titles not associated with a funding level into an "OTHER" title, except for a small set of user titles that I deemed to be CIG-related. These titles, namely "Staff", "Developer", "Creator", "QA", and "Game Master", are assigned the aggregate title of "CIG". Some other user titles that are arguably CIG-related, but which I did NOT include in the CIG set, are "Bug Moderator" and "Moderator". Note that some developer accounts may mark themselves as such as such only by their account name; these would not be included in the CIG count.

Finally, to counteract title churn from people changing their title, I look at each account's titles over a number of forum snapshots and use the one that implies the highest funding level. Since user titles can be "understated" but not "overstated", so to speak, this should be a reasonable procedure if user funding levels are non-decreasing. Thankfully, since CIG almost never grants partial refunds, an assumption of non-decreasing funding levels should not introduce too much additional error. (Note: if no funding-related titles are available, then CIG-related titles are prioritized over "OTHER" titles.)

The contribution of concierge-level backers (High Admiral and up) has slightly increased -- 56.4% under the mid funding scenario, versus 53.6% last time. If we compare the graph of estimated average user spending by quarter of enlistment with the previous version, we get the following average per-user increases:

This indicates that accounts of all "ages" are continuing to put money into Star Citizen, possibly more so for pre-2014 accounts. However, note that an increase of $10-15 or so is a small fraction of the likely average transaction amount -- recall that this period includes Gamescom, Citizencon, the anniversary livestream, and the holiday sale, which featured pricy concept ships, cash-only sales, capital ship sales, etc. Depending on what you think the average transaction amount is (which I have not attempted to estimate), you could translate this into an estimate of the size of the current paying backer population.

Another longitudinal view of the backer population can be obtained by constructing contingency tables at various time snapshots. For example, the following is a comparison of highest user titles achieved through early August 2016, versus early January 2017. Because of how highest titles are computed, this table contains some unknown fraction of users "leveling up" through spending, and some users simply adjusting previously understated titles upward. I believe that the dominant contribution is leveling up, especially when looking at movement between the higher tiers, but I have not attempted to quantify this.

Note that we have two new pseudo-titles: "DEAD", indicating that the account died off (refunds etc.) between Aug 2016 and Jan 2017, and "UNBORN", indicating that the account was made between Aug 2016 and Jan 2017. So for instance, we can see that of 92 completionists as of Aug 2016, 1 of those accounts got a refund. Of 193 wing commanders as of Aug 2016, 31 were promoted to completionist and 2 got a refund, etc. Notably, 22 CIG accounts "got a refund", which most likely means they left the company.

As a rough measure of the propensity of backer subpopulations to level up, we can construct a matrix of outflow percentages. In this table, the number in a particular row/column indicates the percentage of the population with that row's title that advanced to get the corresponding column's title. So for instance, 16.06% of all Wing Commanders in August became Completionists by January. Similarly, 0.37% of Civilians became Freelancers/Colonels, etc. The hottest cells consist of concierge backers (High Admiral and up) moving up one or two levels, and CIG accounts moving to the exits.

If we are interested in inferring refunds specifically, then we need to look at pairs of snapshots that are closer together in time. Otherwise we can miss salient developments -- for instance, if a Civilian in August became a Wing Commander in November then got a refund in December, it would only show up as a Civilian refund in the above table. Using a set of several snapshots I derived the following counts for account deaths per highest title. I also noticed a large number of newly established Civilian accounts showing up as dead. To exclude possible low-effort banhammered trolls from the refund counts, I only counted Civilian accounts if they were confirmed as being alive for at least 45 days in at least one historical snapshot.

• Completionist: 5
  • Wing Commander: 4
  • Space Marshal/Lieutenant Commander: 19
  • Grand Admiral: 27
  • High Admiral: 70
  • Vice Admiral: 47
  • Rear Admiral: 58
  • Freelancer/Colonel: 116
  • Bounty Hunter: 67
  • Mercenary: 61
  • Scout: 32
  • Civilian: 448
  • CIG: 26
  • OTHER: 74

Since this is a small and very much non-random sample, the likely accuracy of the funding scenario assumptions (already not that good) is probably far worse for refunded accounts. On the one hand, Civilians are assumed to have a low average contribution partly due to the proliferation of free accounts; however, a refunded account would obviously not be a free account. On the other, high-value accounts may not be refunded for anywhere near their nominal value, due to grey market transactions.

If we go ahead and apply the min/mid/max funding assumptions anyway, we get refund totals of $407,420, $674,587.50, and $941,755, respectively. For another estimate, also problematic, we can consider the self-reported refund amounts from /r/starcitizen_refunds. From reading through the posts that stated actual refund amounts, I arrived at an average per-user refund of $1366.10. Applying this to the 1028 non-CIG refundees, we would get a total of $1,404,350.80. These estimates are of course only for the refunded forum population. The multiplier to get the total amount of refunds in the entire RSI population would likely be well less than 2.5, which is the ratio of all RSI accounts to all forum accounts.

CONCLUSIONS

All previous caveats about the accuracy of these estimates still apply. In addition, there are particular problems with trying to estimate refund amounts. Nevertheless, I think we can conclude that the refund outflows, while CIG certainly would find them annoying, are probably small enough in total that they can be easily compensated for with an extra concept sale (if we don't account for increases in engineering debt).

There are indications that funding is leaning even more heavily on concierge-level backers; this might be a good topic for follow-up analyses. Account age does not appear to play a large role in incremental spending.

Previously I speculated about a soft per-user average spending ceiling around $200. This now seems to be more of an artifact of the bounded time window the backer populations have had to spend their money in. As that time window lengthens, fresh spending continues apace and it remains to be seen when there will be a large-scale change in backer purchasing behavior.

Seriously though LOL again at that second graph holy loly

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Some people used to think the CD-ROM tray was a cup holder. They were close. Kids these days just use the motherboard as a cup holder.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
All you guys talking about motivating friends into being notfat reminds me that it sucks not having any to do that for me.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

A bunch of shitizens are into early access females.

What about that starship guy's trial, by the way?

:stonk:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hobold posted:

All you guys talking about motivating friends into being notfat reminds me that it sucks not having any to do that for me.

For a small monthly fee I can tell you to not be a fat sack of poo poo every day. Not sure how motivational that will be for you, though. Different strokes and all that.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Regrettable posted:

For a small monthly fee I can tell you to not be a fat sack of poo poo every day. Not sure how motivational that will be for you, though. Different strokes and all that.

I do that every day, doesn't help much. Need someone to drag my fat rear end outside to do poo poo.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

IrvingWashington posted:

Hello SC thread. My dog died yesterday. Osteosarcoma. She was only with us for 5 1/2 wonderful years. Remember to call your dogges. They love you and want you to have all the fidolety you can handle.

Sorry for your loss, friend. Your dog looked happy and well loved!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Drowning in a very small very dark narrow tunnel unable to move because you're caught on something, brrrr.

Literally my nightmare fuel.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ah! Good to know UI is the big blocker here. Easy stuff like networking their twitch MMO is pretty much done. Not even 2 weeks??? Keep on doing what you're doing, CIG!!! :allears:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

Ah! Good to know UI is the big blocker here. Easy stuff like networking their twitch MMO is pretty much done. Not even 2 weeks??? Keep on doing what you're doing, CIG!!! :allears:

In reference to the schedule report.

quote:

All I saw on the happy hour was Disco waffle a bit when it was asked, then finally say it was coming "soon". Then Sean Tracy mentioned he had not even seen it yet, which didn't get me a warm fuzzy.

Possibilities.
A. He doesn't know whats going on with his project.
B. He doesn't know what lie they decided to tell the backers.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hobold posted:

I do that every day, doesn't help much. Need someone to drag my fat rear end outside to do poo poo.

The harder it is for you to motivate yourself, the harder it's going to be for other people to motivate you as well. The best advice I can give is to find something that you like to do that involves exercise. Maybe something like shooty hoops or swimming?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Regrettable posted:

The harder it is for you to motivate yourself, the harder it's going to be for other people to motivate you as well. The best advice I can give is to find something that you like to do that involves exercise. Maybe something like shooty hoops or swimming?

Its surprisingly easy for people to get me to do things. I just am poo poo at doing things by myself. Was into camping/hiking a bit with my brother in laws, till they bitched out and stopped going.

Crobbler Benz
Mar 22, 2016

by Lowtax
hello i am the titanic and i will agree with whatever post i am quoting.

a terribly long explanation follows that noone will read.

i will now end my post with this :shobon:

thanks

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

what up

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Well, look at that. The crucial work on "Weapon and" is already complete, and work on "A T" won't take long at all!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone said man of many anuses yet

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

IrvingWashington posted:

Hello SC thread. My dog died yesterday. Osteosarcoma. She was only with us for 5 1/2 wonderful years. Remember to call your dogges. They love you and want you to have all the fidolety you can handle.

We miss your Dogge too. :h: :shittydog:

Hugz to you. :pgabz:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

eonwe posted:

i dont really read this thread anymore but the thread title is pretty funny

Yeah, I like the cheesy 80s song theme. This title needs to stay for a while.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Well, look at that. The crucial work on "Weapon and" is already complete, and work on "A T" won't take long at all!

FIVE DAYS to calculate how much space gas per ton.
loving hell.
I hope it took a week for which direction the water flushes in space AS THIS MATTERS!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Can some goon with the shop skills add the bar for scamming monies from spergs in there?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hobold posted:

:glomp:

Lose weight by joining a gym and I bet you'll meet people who are like minded and will help be your support system too. :)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hobold posted:

Just do what I did over the holidays and get the norovirus. I lost 5 pounds in 6 hours!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its going to take them almost 2 months from their 2.6 release to poo poo out a patch to the ptu with the things they cut from the initial patch.

3.0 isnt going to be out till june at the earliest and if they aren't close to that by then and SQ42 is lagging behind you can bet your rear end that croberts will go all hands on deck for SQ42.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Nicholas posted:

i'm thinking of buying a pc to play video games. what does everyone recommend

Well the cool kids are all buying Alienware Raspberry Pi's, you want to be cool right?

I'm sure when pgabz said his CPU is water cooled he means he puts his Alienware Raspberry Pi in his kitchen sink to clean all the dirty config hacks he does.

Anyway, I just need to type Alienware Raspberry Pi this last time or I wont get my shilling check.

(Please feel free to quote this text to help make Kosumo drunk again)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822243572963540993
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822511642185441280
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822511687383318528
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/822537741506408448

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

In reference to the schedule report.

Possibilities.
A. He doesn't know whats going on with his project.
B. He doesn't know what lie they decided to tell the backers.

I bet the amount of "open development" they show the public is pretty close to internal communication except worse because as you described above, nobody knows what the current lie is.

efrm
Feb 29, 2016
Hi everyone,

A long time lurker here.
Yesterday my refund landed on my Paypal (its 230ish), I'm finally out.

A big THANK YOU to everyone (incl. Mr. Smart - I read your July blog)

Bests, EFRM

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Erenthal posted:

quote:

On the project management side, department heads from all four studios were in LA this week to continue high level meetings on a number of topics, including the 2.6.2, 3.0 production schedules, which we'll provide more specifics on 3.0 as soon as they are set. It’s easy to rough in a schedule for what we want to accomplish, but fleshing out the details and getting revised bids from all our leads around the world takes time and an immense amount of coordination.
tl:dr: there's jack poo poo in the pipeline, thanks for the money, suckers, and see you in a month
That's strange. 3.0 was playable at Gamescom months ago. The guy was sitting in front of a screen and holding a controller and everything.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Crobbler Benz posted:

hello i am the titanic and i will agree with whatever post i am quoting.

a terribly long explanation follows that noone will read.

i will now end my post with this :shobon:

thanks

I agree with this post. :shobon:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/822560190121869315
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/822560748782108673

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

efrm posted:

Hi everyone,

A long time lurker here.

Bests, EFRM

You know, a true leaver/toxic dink/refunder can recite the July blog off by heart, can you? :yarg:

efrm
Feb 29, 2016

Kosumo posted:

You know, a true leaver/toxic dink/refunder can recite the July blog off by heart, can you? :yarg:

there were a lot of words but I picked this as the most important part:
"the game - as pitched - will never be made"

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

efrm posted:

there were a lot of words but I picked this as the most important part:
"the game - as pitched - will never be made"

But but but, what about the bits about Line Of Defense? Doh, you missed the message totally!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Hey CIG, I've got a great idea. Why don't you leave out some of those UI improvements and then release the update at the end of next week? Being as you're over halfway through the other tasks.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

eonwe posted:

has anyone said man of many anuses yet

This would have been received well circa 2015 but shitposting in this thread has gotten much more sophisticated

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

efrm posted:

Hi everyone,

A long time lurker here.

Bests, EFRM

Congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/719865176732934144
https://twitter.com/devonkelly/status/719868302542139392
This last Tweet is pinned
https://twitter.com/DisturbedJim83/status/719875703869743104