Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is there any location where Castform is more likely to appear than others? I know weather is a must, but I was in the Malie Garden and having no luck at all with SOS calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So, since everyone was talking Mimikyu here a bit ago, I wanted to see if I can get advice on mine. I hatched this by pure luck, and I'm happy with it (except shiny charm continues to do nothing after all this time :argh:). The thing is, since I like to try to play by VGC rules (I'm new to commutative and not sure how dumb I'm being by doing that)( I need a new alt since restricteds are down to just 1 now. So I figured might as well use this. The problem being that the thing is made of tissue, and can barely take 1 hit before dying, even with almost 6 perfect IVs. Is Mimikyu really just there to be "lol 1 free turn of swords dance" pokeman? Even at level 50+ with full EV training at level 1, against in game fights it still kinda sucks at staying alive at all.

For reference, I gave it:

Swords Dance
Play Rough
Shadow Claw
Shadow Sneak

I can post current stats if needed for judging what I must be doing wrong.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Is there any location where Castform is more likely to appear than others? I know weather is a must, but I was in the Malie Garden and having no luck at all with SOS calls.

Not really. Just make sure it's raining when the SOS call goes out and pray

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oddium posted:

wide guard on aerodactyl is a long chain i think. i'm on my phone but something gets wide guard in a 4/5 chain

Pretty sure the chain to get wide guard on Aegislash is ridiculous.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

AlternateNu posted:

Pikaboo is a little overused, honestly.

I'm thinking either 'Pikachu?" or "Cerv-/-ical" and see how many people get it. :unsmigghh:

umm excuse me I just invented pikaboo how can it be overused?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone wanna help me with a little team/moveset optimization for Super Doubles?

EV performance is very useful when you get to Supers -- and growing the EV berries isn't hard in the Pokepelao. I vastly recommend you get rid of the Quick Claw on Tapu in favor of boosting up its Speed EVs. Additionally, Misty Seed is a pretty poor item, even with Terrain gimmicks -- I recommend an Expert Belt or Life Orb. You also have a fire weakness, but I'm feeling lazy so I'll end here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Davoren posted:

umm excuse me I just invented pikaboo how can it be overused?

That's all I heard people call it when it was spoiled as a Ghost type. :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hrist posted:

So, since everyone was talking Mimikyu here a bit ago, I wanted to see if I can get advice on mine. I hatched this by pure luck, and I'm happy with it (except shiny charm continues to do nothing after all this time :argh:). The thing is, since I like to try to play by VGC rules (I'm new to commutative and not sure how dumb I'm being by doing that)( I need a new alt since restricteds are down to just 1 now. So I figured might as well use this. The problem being that the thing is made of tissue, and can barely take 1 hit before dying, even with almost 6 perfect IVs. Is Mimikyu really just there to be "lol 1 free turn of swords dance" pokeman? Even at level 50+ with full EV training at level 1, against in game fights it still kinda sucks at staying alive at all.

For reference, I gave it:

Swords Dance
Play Rough
Shadow Claw
Shadow Sneak

I can post current stats if needed for judging what I must be doing wrong.

Mimikyu is just good typing since it has a billion immunities you can switch in on, get your free Swords Dance and go to town.

Personally, I like using it with Substitution and a Liechi or Salac Berry. You can sub down to proc your berry of choice and still have your one turn to Swords Dance before destroying everything. And if you're lucky, the opponent won't expect a sub and will try to status Mimkyu (since that is honestly the best way to combat it) which will give you two turns to boost.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

AlternateNu posted:

That's all I heard people call it when it was spoiled as a Ghost type. :shrug:

rude

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Mimikyu is just good typing since it has a billion immunities you can switch in on, get your free Swords Dance and go to town.

Personally, I like using it with Substitution and a Liechi or Salac Berry. You can sub down to proc your berry of choice and still have your one turn to Swords Dance before destroying everything. And if you're lucky, the opponent won't expect a sub and will try to status Mimkyu (since that is honestly the best way to combat it) which will give you two turns to boost.

I think I get it now. I used to do similar with a very specific set up for Mawile before Megas made the item and ability set up on mine pointless. I haven't really used berries much before, so I'll try these. Thanks!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Kyu has pretty good natural defenses, but it has poor HP, which hurts.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bogart posted:

Kyu has pretty good natural defenses, but it has poor HP, which hurts.

That's my biggest issue trying to use it. My main team is pretty meaty in their HP. So Mimikyu's HP has been really shocking for me to see just plummet after any little thing.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

I know some people ended up collecting a bunch of Zygarde dogs while they were trading on GTS, so maybe someone will know the answer to this: Zygarde has distinct Pokedex entries for its different forms. If you get a Zygarde dog (say) through GTS and it's from a different language game to yours, you get to see Zygarde dog's pokedex entry in that language. So say you are playing in English and you obtain a Zygarde dog from a Japanese game, you get to see Zygarde dog's pokedex entry in Japanese. Question is: supposing you have seen Zygarde 50% form, can you see the Japanese entry for that? Or can you only see it in English because the only Japanese Zygarde you have owned was the dog?

Also, unless it's passed me by previously, this is the first time Game Freak has given different forms of a pokemon their own dex entries, c/d? Do any other mons we know of in sun/moon have different dex entries for different forms?

In case anyone else was interested, the answer to this is that the dex records ownership of foreign-language pokemon by the species, not by the form. So in the hypothetical scenario here, you would be able to see both Japanese dex entries.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
James's first Alola mon :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slv-cNHy13g

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

Pikaboo is a little overused, honestly.

I'm thinking either 'Pikachu?" or "Cerv-/-ical" and see how many people get it. :unsmigghh:

Will "poverty ghost" fit?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The bear team I'm working on is

Pangoro, Beartic, Snorlax, Bewear, Komala, Ursaring

Pretty much making them all Adamant since they are all fairly slow attacking types.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
didn't beartic get snow slush or whatever

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

pikaboo is a good name but have you considered spookachu??

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spookachu is OK but for better accuracy you should really name it something like Trashcan.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
MyBestFriend.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there anywhere online that has good footage of the Mimikyu room?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Here you go.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I feel Mimikku's best name is "PlsRespond" since it is desperately getting the love and affection from people who love pikachu

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Tired Moritz posted:

didn't beartic get snow slush or whatever

it also already had Swift Swim

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone wanna help me with a little team/moveset optimization for Super Doubles?

Tapu Fini (Quick Claw): Scald / Heal Pulse / Nature's Madness / Swagger
--Sometimes I get off a self-Swagger before Pheromosa goes, which is why the quick claw. I don't use Heal Pulse much but on occasion I can top Pheromosa back up so her sash will work, if she's taken just a little damage. Madness is good for bulky pricks that Phero can't OHKO.

Pheromosa (Focus Sash): Jump Kick / Lunge / Ice Beam / Protect
--I like her! Jump Kick bites me in the rear end far less than HiJK but maybe there's a better alternative? I don't like U-Turn because sometimes she gets on a roll with boosts and I don't wanna switch out but want to use a bug STAB.

Kartana (Misty Seed): Leaf Blade / Brick Break / Smart Strike / Protect
--I had Psycho Cut instead of Protect but it started throwing a lot of fire types at me. Had to replace the Assault Vest because of this. Problem is half the time he comes in, the field is already back to normal and Fini is dead.

Pikachu (Ghostium Z): Shadow Sneak / Shadow Claw / Play Rough / Swords Dance
--Mostly here because of Disguise and because I wasn't having much luck with A-Marowak

I'm too lazy to go through the pain of changing EVs so didn't bother looking all that poo poo up, same with natures- I got what I got and I can't very well get my own Pheromosa in Sun so she's stuck with a neutral one.
But if one of you know-it-alls (said lovingly I assure you) sees a gaping hole in this team you know how to fill, by all means I'm interested.

As someone else has already said, EV's and Natures are pretty important in the super lines at the Battle tree. I don't think it's possible to get the 50 streaks required based on team composition alone.

The first things that jump out at me or that for the battle tree you should probably replace high jump kick with low kick on Pheeomosa. As you said, the recoil bite you in the rear end occasionally, and low kick is a 2 hit KO at the very least and generally a one hit KO on most of the stuff that you'd want to use it on anyway.

I'm also not sure why brick break over secret sword on kartana. Brick break does hit through reflect the secret sword is stronger and ignores any stat changes that the battle tree would throw at you.

The quick claw is also not very reliable and you should be using one of the healing berries such as Sitrus or the Figi ones, or leftovers. The berries are generally better in doubles though. Essentially you don't want to use it for the same reason that you don't really want to use heavy recoil damage moves. With this long of a streak is you want to try to get in the tree they will bite you at the times you need them the most.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

If it helps, I called my mimikyu Pastreschoux. I hope someone gets that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Houle posted:

I feel Mimikku's best name is "PlsRespond" since it is desperately getting the love and affection from people who love pikachu

That's a good name

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Houle posted:

:wooper:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

PSWII60 posted:

As someone else has already said, EV's and Natures are pretty important in the super lines at the Battle tree. I don't think it's possible to get the 50 streaks required based on team composition alone.

The first things that jump out at me or that for the battle tree you should probably replace high jump kick with low kick on Pheeomosa. As you said, the recoil bite you in the rear end occasionally, and low kick is a 2 hit KO at the very least and generally a one hit KO on most of the stuff that you'd want to use it on anyway.

I'm also not sure why brick break over secret sword on kartana. Brick break does hit through reflect the secret sword is stronger and ignores any stat changes that the battle tree would throw at you.

The quick claw is also not very reliable and you should be using one of the healing berries such as Sitrus or the Figi ones, or leftovers. The berries are generally better in doubles though. Essentially you don't want to use it for the same reason that you don't really want to use heavy recoil damage moves. With this long of a streak is you want to try to get in the tree they will bite you at the times you need them the most.

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't mean to give the impression my guys aren't EV trained. I didn't start playing this game yesterday. I just didn't want to turn on my 3DS and look up what my spreads were, since I don't have them memorized. Also I didn't know Sacred Sword ignored def and evasion boosts.

Lost last night in the high 30s simply because I have no answer to a Gyarados that DD's on turn 1 and does not go Mega. I think I'm gonna replace my ghost Pikachu with someone that has lightning.
ORRRRRRRR just fuckin' wait til Pokebank updates and I can bring in good Pokemon without having to breed them again from scratch because gently caress that poo poo I'm not that impatient.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't mean to give the impression my guys aren't EV trained. I didn't start playing this game yesterday. I just didn't want to turn on my 3DS and look up what my spreads were, since I don't have them memorized. Also I didn't know Sacred Sword ignored def and evasion boosts.

Lost last night in the high 30s simply because I have no answer to a Gyarados that DD's on turn 1 and does not go Mega. I think I'm gonna replace my ghost Pikachu with someone that has lightning.
ORRRRRRRR just fuckin' wait til Pokebank updates and I can bring in good Pokemon without having to breed them again from scratch because gently caress that poo poo I'm not that impatient.

Gotcha, I misunderstood. Yeah Sacred Sword is a good move, and a great gently caress you to the double team spam mons that are not Dusknoir.

Your Fini can put a good dent in Gyarados with Natures Madness. Kartanas Leaf Blade can also 2HKO though it's a 68% chance or so, assuming you did not get intimidated. You can also buy a turn kinda by Lunging with Pheromosa to drop its attack if she's not doing anything else.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Oh my god Gible eats Poke Beans in one bite, so adorable I could die.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Oh my god Gible eats Poke Beans in one bite, so adorable I could die.

Nice, love seeing details like that, especially with the derpy Gibble :3:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

How do you tell when a Pokémon has the maximum number of EVs it can get?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ariong posted:

it won't get any more evs

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Ariong posted:

For a more constructive answer, the stat in question will be sparkling on the EV screen if it's at its maximum value.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Also if you got the maximum number of total EVs, when you press Y on a Pokemon's status screen, the orange blobby shape (or triangles if you didn't spread out their EVs) will be blue instead.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Senerio posted:

MyBestFriend.

Haha I named mine Best Friend

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Which nature should I SR for on Solgaleo?

Edit: Don't say "adamant or jolly", pick one.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 21, 2017

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Jolly is the recommended one, Adamant is also good, rarest though usable are defensive natures, either Impish or Careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

the best nickname I saw for a Mimikyu was Piakchu

close enough to pass for Pikachu at first glance, but falls apart under any sort of scrutiny