Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
You are all forgetting a major advantage of bikes, they are much safer for everyone else. That's why all youths should be given access to 1000cc superbikes before they ever get behind the wheel, to weed out the craziest individuals.

Few years ago a finnish car magazine did a listing of all bike fatalies over the year with descriptions of the accidents. There were something like 29 fatalities and all but one were a biker or passenger. The sole standout was an elderly pedestrian who had been crossing the street from between cars and was hit by a bike. He was at fault for that accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I work for an actuarial firm. We calculate life annuities and suchlike. Riding a motorcycle is absolutely dangerous. Please keep riding your motorcycles because it improves my clients' funding ratios on their pension plans. While you're at it, start smoking.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
More in the light of this thread, given some sort of aircraft. Learn to control three dimensions before accessing two. It would be a much steeper curve for the dumb ones to slip on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Frankly, if the process to get a driver's license were more like the process to get a pilot's license, road fatalities would go way down.

1) 50 hours minimum dual instruction from a trained driving instructor
2) Theoretical education ending in a challenging written exam ensuring you know the laws concerning vehicle operation, the basics of how cars operate, how to make sure your car is in working order, the effects of weather on driving, and practical map-reading and navigation skills.
3) A practical exam covering normal operation at all speeds (so, including highway driving), emergency procedures (panic stops, skid control, etc.), and navigation, including how to handle things like "I missed my exit" without backing down the freeway or doing an unsafe maneuver.

And it's not like any of these things would be particularly difficult to implement.

If we just did those things, the level of driver incompetence would be slashed. If we also mandated some form of recurrent training every two years, I'm guessing thousands of lives would be saved.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mortabis posted:

I work for an actuarial firm. We calculate life annuities and suchlike. Riding a motorcycle is absolutely dangerous. Please keep riding your motorcycles because it improves my clients' funding ratios on their pension plans. While you're at it, start smoking.

You sound like an absolute riot. How much does a person's increased risk of suicide improve your clients' funding ratios after speaking with you for 10 minutes? 20? Is it an exponential or logarithmic scale?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Swedish driver's licenses are just about like that and the drivers are loving A+

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mortabis posted:

No, you'll cancel out the good that comes from riding a motorcycle and being an organ donor.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

evil_bunnY posted:

Swedish driver's licenses are just about like that and the drivers are loving A+

Yeah I was gonna say, the UK is not as stringent as that pilots license post but still covers a lot of the same ground.

Is the US really lax when it comes to driving tests or something?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yes and it's almost by necessity since public transit is virtually nonexistent in 90% of the country.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes and it's almost by necessity since public transit is virtually nonexistent in 90% of the country.

And cause our country is fuckin huuuge and spread out so no fuckin suburban or rural parent is gonna put up with some expensive rear end drivers training program so their kid can drive them self to school or the store.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, the UK is not as stringent as that pilots license post but still covers a lot of the same ground.

My driving test consisted of a 15 question multiple choice written test that was extremely basic (eg. When driving it's important to: A)Tune in your favorite radio station, B)Entertain your passengers, or C)Be alert and cautious) and it also had multiple grammar mistakes and misspellings. Then I went for the ride-along driving test with the DMV employee, I pulled out of the parking lot onto a 25mph residential street, drove a few blocks to the end, did a U-turn, and drove back into the parking lot.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vitamin J posted:

My driving test consisted of a 15 question multiple choice written test that was extremely basic (eg. When driving it's important to: A)Tune in your favorite radio station, B)Entertain your passengers, or C)Be alert and cautious) and it also had multiple grammar mistakes and misspellings. Then I went for the ride-along driving test with the DMV employee, I pulled out of the parking lot onto a 25mph residential street, drove a few blocks to the end, did a U-turn, and drove back into the parking lot.

This was basically my test, but when coming back into the parking lot had to park normally (in a space in the lot) and parallel park between two cones, I nailed the curb and figured I'd failed, my instructor just said something like 'good enough, you're in the spot, I always hit the curb too' and passed me.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
There is a catch though. When I got my Norwegian licence, i had mandatory introductory theory exam, night driving session, navigation session, long distance driving and overtaking session, winter/ice driving session, a set number of mandatory driving lessons, final theory exam and an hour long driving test. All that is great, but getting my licence cost me about USD 5000. No doubt it would be a bit cheaper in the US, but it probably still would be a lot of money for a teenager.

Edit. An aircraft for the aircraft thread. Have a Schneider Throphy racer

Humbug fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 21, 2017

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Just seconding that my driving test on the US went like the guys above. Extremely perfunctory.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

US driving tests: same as above plus my dude was on his phone the entire time

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
I moved to Sweden from the US as an adult, and since my US license wasn't eligible for conversion, I had to take the Swedish one from the very beginning with a bunch of 16 yo Swedish brats.

There really is no comparison. The theory test is extremely difficult in Sweden, and expects much more interpretation of the rules you learned in the coursebook. Also, that coursebook is 400 p long, instead of e.g. Nebraska's 30 p. The cost (frequently $2000-3000 for new drivers) is unfathomable for me. Even having driven for over 10 years, and doing the absolute minimum for a Swedish license, it still cost $600.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

simplefish posted:

So basically they're there for on the ground only, since the wings would be loaded in the air?

No they support flight loads.

Using cables and/or struts reduces the size of the spar required.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
In Florida, you could get a learner's permit by taking a 50 question test and only needed to get 40 right. And if you failed it, you could take it again 30 minutes later (if you failed it again then it was a 60 day wait IIRC). With that, you could drive as long as you had a licensed driver in the passenger seat. I think they require a class now as well but it's all theory.

To get the actual license, I did a ten minute drive on a closed course. You had to have had a learner's permit for 6 months before doing the test, but there were no other requirements at the time.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 21, 2017

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
It was a required class in high school for me. The classroom part anyway. Then I had to have a certain number of hours of instruction behind the wheel, with some of them at night.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In my home state took a 30 question test. IIRC 3 wrong answers meant a failure and you had to wait a few days for a new appointment. Rather basic 30 minute on road test. I think he driving test was longer if you didn't have a driver's ed certificate.

Drivers ed was a week classroom instruction and 6 one hour driving evaluations. The six hours included neighborhood, highway, interstate, night, parking at a minimum.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Page 1138

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Humbug posted:

Edit. An aircraft for the aircraft thread. Have a Schneider Throphy racer

Thank you. Those planes were just gorgeous. Using the wings and fuselage as radiators was brilliant.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlesM posted:

Page 1138

God, the special edition looks like a PS2 screenshot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hey. Hey. Am I going to have to create a thread for car related posts to stop making GBS threads up the airplane thread?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Enourmo posted:

I remember playing rogue squadron 2 on the gamecube back in...2000? 2001? and thinking the X-wings looked better than in the movie.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, I couldn't find a picture of the original.

Finger Prince posted:

Hey. Hey. Am I going to have to create a thread for car related posts to stop making GBS threads up the airplane thread?

I tried to bring it back on track...sort of. :P

TIE Interceptor, the best looking of the TIE fighters.

The A-Wing, my favorite Rebel spacecraft.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, I couldn't find a picture of the original.

I tried to bring it back on track...sort of. :P

The A-Wing, my favorite Rebel spacecraft.

Agreed.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Agreed on the Interceptor, but I think the A-Wing is a bit plain. The B-Wing is more visually interesting IMO

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I was saddened by the total lack of A-Wings in Rogue One.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ardeem posted:

I was saddened by the total lack of A-Wings in Rogue One.

:goonsay: That's because the A-wing didn't enter rebellion service until After Hoth.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did anybody notice that you could see part of a Corellian transport on the Jedi temple planet as they were escaping?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

david_a posted:

Agreed on the Interceptor, but I think the A-Wing is a bit plain. The B-Wing is more visually interesting IMO

This guy knows what's up :hfive:

Also I remember reading somewhere that one of the original concept/plans was for the aluminum millennium falcon to have the same sort of ship-rotates-around-cockpit deal as the B-Wing had.

e: oh poo poo it says it straight up on wikipedia now.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Everyone knows that Y-Wings are the best cause they're the Hurricanes to the X-Wing's Spitfire.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Humbug posted:

getting my licence cost me about USD 5000. No doubt it would be a bit cheaper in the US,

Yeah it was like, $20.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Vitamin J posted:

Yeah objective zero is a loving pipe dream boys.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MRC48B posted:

:goonsay: That's because the A-wing didn't enter rebellion service until After Hoth.

:spergin: They're in Star Wars Rebels, and since the Ghost was in Rogue One, it's totally canon.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

PhotoKirk posted:

Thank you. Those planes TIEs were just gorgeous. Using the wings and fuselage as radiators was brilliant.

Was there any deeply nerdy explaination for why the TIE's had those radiators on each side, blocking most of the pilot's peripheral vision? I know the real answer is 'because they look cool' but I'm guessing there's a 40,000 word Wookipedia thesis explaining exactly what they're for.

And if we're talking Schneider Trophy planes, the S4 is pretty but the winner has to be the one which never actually raced in the Trophy - the Macchi MC72:

It had two Fiat V12s working in tandem through a contra-rotating prop and with enough radiators strapped onto the plane and the boost cranked up it made 3100hp - good for 440mph in level flight.

As for radiators - the oil tank is built into the nose skin so the whole thing is one big oil cooler and the centre and rear pairs of cooling surfaces on each float are for the oil. The forward float radiators and the ones built into the float struts and the wing surfaces are for the water. In the summer another water radiator was slung under the fuselage as well. So it's pretty much a 24-cylinder racing engine with radiators that also serve as lifting surfaces. It's a shame they didn't know about the Meredith Effect in 1931 as all that heat could have generated some useful thrust.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
The rate of development was also pretty crazy. Just 8 years earlier than the all metal 1900hp Supermarine S6 I posted and 10 before the MC72, the winner was a Macchi M.7. A wooden biplane with about 260 hp and a top speed of about 120mph.

I wonder if WW2 would have looked different without the Schneider Throphy? I know a lot of the experiences with the S6 and Rolls Royce R went into the Spitfire and Merlin.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SR-71 imposes high maintenance burden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
If the Macchi MC72 is the winner that never raced, the Piaggio P.7 is the winner that never flew.