Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate that, cars should driven, not stored away as "investments".

The same thing has been happening with whisky for some years. Rich people buy up all of these fancy bottlings, and never even taste them. They could just as well have stale tea in them, for all they care.

Drives me mad.

Same here. I get it if it's a one off historical car, but drat stop making cars too expensive to drive. They have plenty of time to sit when combustion engines are banned. Enjoy them while we can.
That's also why I'm very afraid that the GTV6, which is my "reachable dream car" is going to start going up in price like crazy. I want to buy one in 3-4 years time. Please remain affordable :ohdear:. I want to enjoy the Busso before it's too late. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bape Culture posted:

I borrowed this rx8 and it was really good.

That's my rx8 story thanks for looking.
:drat: That's an RX8 I'd love to thrash for a day

lil bip posted:

It's being touted as an investment piece now.
Yup and now rich investment type people are buying up the clean examples to store for years until they feel like cashing out. Same thing that happens to any car that's said to be an investment car by Hagerty, Hemmings or any of the other similar outfits. Cars are meant to be driven dammit, at least when I take my cars out I drive them like they're meant to be or take them to the track. I know I'm not one to talk with how little I drive the M3

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There are dudes out there that do it right though, I've posted a bud's NSX in here a couple times. He babies the poo poo out of it (it's supposedly never been in the rain) but also puts miles on it.

He got it before the current NSX fever so paid a reasonable price for it. When the price started going up the PO gave him a ring asking if he could buy it back. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A dude I know that bought a 'well used' NSX last year with 150k miles on it (it still looked mint) has been spending the winter taking it all to bits making it look showroom again. Can't wait to see it all back together.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
I'd love to know more about that thing. I have an unnatural love for wagons.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Grater posted:

I'd love to know more about that thing. I have an unnatural love for wagons.

I gotchu, LV.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3738086

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

xzzy posted:

There are dudes out there that do it right though, I've posted a bud's NSX in here a couple times. He babies the poo poo out of it (it's supposedly never been in the rain) but also puts miles on it.

He got it before the current NSX fever so paid a reasonable price for it. When the price started going up the PO gave him a ring asking if he could buy it back. :v:

I met a guy once with a Testarossa (512TR specifically) who kept the car in one of those climate controlled hermetic bubbles. He still brought it out on a very frosty morning to Goodwood for a pistonheads/Sunday service meet (he had some very dicey moments on the way in), and drives it to italy through the Alps every year. When he gets back, full service and back in the bubble.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

I hate that, cars should driven, not stored away as "investments".

The same thing has been happening with whisky for some years. Rich people buy up all of these fancy bottlings, and never even taste them. They could just as well have stale tea in them, for all they care.

Drives me mad.

Isn't the whole basis of the investment value that someone wants to drive/drink it? If that never happens, is it really worth anything?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Isn't the whole basis of the investment value that someone wants to drive/drink it? If that never happens, is it really worth anything?

No, the whole basis is you don't pay capital gains tax on automobiles.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It's kind of like the stock market, where the traders aren't interested in any of the nominal reasons to own stock (votes, dividends); only in what someone else will pay.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Exactly. They're paying for the rarity and exclusivity, not the inherent value of the object.

A lot of these people wouldn't even dream of drinking that bottle of whisky/driving that car. They literally only see it as a financial asset.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've always felt that there was nothing wrong with buying art, or cars, or whatever as an investment as long as you're buying it because you like it, and having it pay for itself is a nice bonus. That's why I really like Harry Metcalfe and Jay Leno, they both buy things that will "look after" you, but they genuinely like (and use) them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I really like Harry Metcalfe, he seems like a rather down-to-earth sort of guy, dresses like a normal person, doesn't spend his money on frivolous bling, and is the type of person to take his Testarossa on a desert road trip or a long drive to southern France in the middle of winter, completely stuffed with luggage and folding bicycles, because why not. I also learned from his latest Testarossa video that he genuinely prefers a certain brand of inexpensive champagne, which I find oddly endearing.

Jay has a bit of that Rich Dude thing going on, but at least he's aware of it and calls himself the president of the More Money Than Sense club.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 20, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wasn't there a point where Leno daily drove a Countach simply because he could? :v:

*edit: yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vcT1bq2XA

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Every time I see Harry's SL600 video I want to make terrible life choices. :ohdear:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

xzzy posted:

He babies the poo poo out of it (it's supposedly never been in the rain) but also puts miles on it.

I never got this. What can rain do?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's mostly for bragging rights.

It also implies there's not a hint of rust anywhere on the vehicle.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

I never got this. What can rain do?

Carry dirt and salt into the nooks and crannies in the body and engine bay.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

InitialDave posted:

I've always felt that there was nothing wrong with buying art, or cars, or whatever as an investment as long as you're buying it because you like it, and having it pay for itself is a nice bonus. That's why I really like Harry Metcalfe and Jay Leno, they both buy things that will "look after" you, but they genuinely like (and use) them.

Jay Leno to me is probably the Ultimate Car Guy. He has all these rare, expensive cars, he knows how they work, he can work on them if he wants to, and he /loving drives/ them. The dude got pulled over for speeding in a steam car (technically, the story goes the cop was more "WHY IS THIS ON FIRE?!")!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wasn't there a point where Leno daily drove a Countach simply because he could? :v:

*edit: yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2vcT1bq2XA

Case in point.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

No matter what car it is I always end up watching the whole episode of Jay Lenos garage. He's always stoked and knows tons about the history of the cars. The turbine car one is super great, there are 2 of them and Chrysler let Jay be the curator of one of them. He is the ultimate car guy for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leno's videos can be pretty dull if he's not enthused about the car or his guest gives him no material to work with.

I think the editing kind of sucks too, because when they trim down the full interview to whatever we get on youtube he generally ends up saying the exact same thing 10 times in a row. The recent F40 was was hilarious in that regard.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

When making LA Noir, the developers asked Leno if they could use his collection of cars from that period for references for the models. He said yes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Leno's videos can be pretty dull if he's not enthused about the car or his guest gives him no material to work with.

I think the editing kind of sucks too, because when they trim down the full interview to whatever we get on youtube he generally ends up saying the exact same thing 10 times in a row. The recent F40 was was hilarious in that regard.

Yeah this seems pretty obvious especially when somebody brings in a lovely modded car and it's clear he's just going through the motions for whatever reason. But in general especially with his own cars or something that's genuinely cool he's quite entertaining and informative, so I still enjoy his stuff.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

iospace posted:

Jay Leno to me is probably the Ultimate Car Guy. He has all these rare, expensive cars, he knows how they work, he can work on them if he wants to, and he /loving drives/ them. The dude got pulled over for speeding in a steam car (technically, the story goes the cop was more "WHY IS THIS ON FIRE?!")!

Case in point.

He also details his own cars allegedly. Being the family car washer (I enjoy the time by myself and tangible results) I really appreciate it when someone puts effort into that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wasabi the J posted:

He also details his own cars allegedly. Being the family car washer (I enjoy the time by myself and tangible results) I really appreciate it when someone puts effort into that.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Also wouldn't be surprised if he also had someone else do it, or at the very least help with the massive collection.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leno does have a crew to do mechanical stuff, they show up in videos every once in a while and when he covers his current projects it's always "we're doing this thing" instead of everything being first person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Leno has cool poo poo but he's still a bit of a cock.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Also wouldn't be surprised if he also had someone else do it, or at the very least help with the massive collection.

To be fair, he has enough cars that I think literally the job of just keeping track of battery tenders, tire pressures, registration, and the most basic maintenance tasks would amount to drat near full time.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, he has enough cars that I think literally the job of just keeping track of battery tenders, tire pressures, registration, and the most basic maintenance tasks would amount to drat near full time.

How much does it pay tho? Benefits?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
And when he commissions a custom, it's never a bullshit "rich guy car" either: 1000+ HP Toronado, roadster with the engine of a WWII tank, RWD conversion+drivetrain swap Ford Festiva, etc. It's always something unquestionably cool

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The Blastolene is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Actually I'm gonna rewatch that one right now.

Link https://youtu.be/p4frzQdh6GE

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think my favorite car that Leno owns is his hot rod Bentley, of all things. I don't remember the details, but he did something like take the 8 liter motor, supercharge it, and stick it in a 2 liter chassis.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My favorite thing about Jay Leno is how he's said, in multiple videos in multiple forms over the years,

quote:

Buy things you like. If they go up in value, great! If they don't, well, then you still have something you like.

I will be sadder when he dies than any other celebrity of the last 15 years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He looks pretty spry still, unless he launches himself into one of those valleys he likes to film in we'll probably have him for a long while yet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've been watching his videos since they were only accessible on the JayLenosGarage NBC site using shockwave player, before it even had NBC branding. I'd say that he's definitely getting a bit more frail, a bit more forgetful, and a lot more shakey. It's like watching a parent get old.

Compare him in his ORIGINAL Brough Superior SS100 video here (originally uploaded on his website in 2007-8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdhgDvc2AWo

And this Triumph Bonneville video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKIow2Xj66I

The first one, he's all over the place, emotive. Now, he's standing around a lot with hands in his pockets, trembling just ever so slightly when touching things, etc.

I know everybody ages but, man...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I bet Leno has his own war rig stashed away somewhere.

You know, just in case...

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I bet Leno has his own the actual war rig stashed away somewhere.

You know, just in case...

FTFY

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Leno has cool poo poo but he's still a bit of a cock.

Yeah I hate him, but I am curious to know, if he has a show or info on his Tatra?
edit: More specifically if he knows about the ownership history.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The local rockabilly festival is on today and as a part of that they do a show and shine where you get to see a bunch of cars that are often pretty rare in Australia. I didn't get many photos but its a bunch of American cars from different periods including what must be a fair chunk of the Cobra's in the state.

A pretty nicely done up 240Z

A Valiant with it's badging removed

and this thing which I have no idea about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The last one is a pontiac parisienne.