Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

funny Star Wars parody posted:

What I'm saying is don't lawyer up until they take you downtown

Otherwise you look guilty to idiots and big mouths

Not lawyering up could be the reason they take you downtown - after you inadvertently say something that incriminates you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geoj posted:

Not lawyering up could be the reason they take you downtown - after you inadvertently say something that incriminates you.

^^^ Listen to this man, this is EXACTLY what happens.

Does AI have a mod yet Y/N?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not yet apparently

Best keep it a secret or else you'll attract the GBS types.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
all i know is alanis morisette is god

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks like a Mazda 6

No wonder they came to your door asking questions

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I do have a lawyer connection in the immediate circle of friends so I reached out.

Help id the car in this terrible photo.
http://wane.com/2017/01/20/police-search-for-driver-of-car-who-gave-slain-woman-a-ride/

Mazda 6 hatchback

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Several forums seem to have lost their mods.

What's going on. Is this it? Are we at the end?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

something dumb

all i know is it aint gonna be me

probs kastein

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

his avatar says so at least

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

same with motronic

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you fuckers force this poo poo on me I'm demanding 14 as my chain gang partner gently caress this

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Nah. More mods are dropping off, too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I do have a lawyer connection in the immediate circle of friends so I reached out.

Help id the car in this terrible photo.
http://wane.com/2017/01/20/police-search-for-driver-of-car-who-gave-slain-woman-a-ride/

Maybe a 4th gen Taurus, but my instinct is still Mazda 6 hatchback with spoiler.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWhjjfOFec

I'll be mod

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
WTS New Zealand citizenship, will trade for rust free supercharged AW11.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If you ban everyone on your first day as mod, every other day will be a lot easier.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Who cares about the forum drama, I have more pressing concerns: low oil pressure

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

kastein posted:

If you fuckers force this poo poo on me I'm demanding 14 as my chain gang partner gently caress this

better you than me bby

id do it if doxxing werent a thing but holy poo poo lmao id be such an easy target

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BoostCreep posted:

Several forums seem to have lost their mods.

What's going on. Is this it? Are we at the end?

I looked up automotiveinsanity.com kind of in a 'hmmm i wonder if anyone is already using it' and its already a thing.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
there are heaps of new GLTD's available.

.car
.racing
.sucks
.forum

things that are not available:

.valhalla
.shiny
.chrome
.mediocre

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I can't mod, I'd have no self-control.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slothrop posted:

there are heaps of new GLTD's available.

.car
.racing
.sucks
.forum

things that are not available:

.valhalla
.shiny
.chrome
.mediocre

.car and .cars are $2700 because dealerships.

broken.cars would be a cool domain name :(

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

.car and .cars are $2700 because dealerships.

broken.cars would be a cool domain name :(

That's the stupidest thing I've heard today, and I work with the general public

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Uh, yeah, if you aren't using your rights then what is the point? Every person that says "oh, yeah, sure officer, feel free to search my car because I have nothing to hide" is just making it worse for everyone, because suddenly exercising your rights and saying no means you are hiding something. I have never really been in trouble, or had many interactions with the police, and I'm a middle class white guy, but I don't answer any questions I don't have to and refuse searches just out of principle. I'm not going to be a dick about it or anything, it's more like "uh, I don't think I have to let you do that and I would prefer not to..."

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 21, 2017

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kastein posted:

No I very seriously do want the job and think I'd do it good. In all seriousness for how insane I get anyone who knows me and has spent time with me knows that despite living in constant chaos, I loving go above and beyond at trying to do the bet possible work I can.

It just doesn't always work out that way though :v:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The B and D engines were for compact cars, F was more for the Accord, H was the Prelude engine.

F series engines are kinda gutless, but run forever - I've seen them still running well with north of 300k on them. The H is fun, but prone to oil burning (especially the last generation - usually started smoking around 100k if you didn't beat on it regularly).

An F swap into a B or D equipped chassis is on par with an H swap in difficulty (only one engine mount is different between F and H, and the F and H transaxles are interchangeable, though they do have different gearing), but you're not gaining much, if any, power (depends on the donor year); you do wind up with more power down low though, so you don't have to wind it out nearly as much. An H swap into a Civic or Integra makes for a lot of fun, but you usually have to ditch air conditioning unless you get creative (it's a really tight fit). The most powerful F sold in the US was in the 98-02 Accord LX/EX/SE, and put out a whole 150 hp/152 ft lbs.

Nobody really views the F as a performance engine; you can build them to put out some serious power, but you can spend less overall to get the same power from the H, and the H has far better aftermarket support.

Also, a B pretty much drops into a Civic; depending on the year of the engine and chassis, you can sometimes even use the stock Civic harness. An H swaps into an Accord pretty easily too, but IIRC you do have to make some wiring changes (and the ECU). You can also swap an H trans into an Accord; it's plug and play, even the automatic, and gives you better gearing at the expense of highway MPG.

They're not that much heavier than a B. But yeah, physically they're bigger, and dropping an H into a Civic or Integra is a tight fit. I've never seen an F swap in person.

Oh, ok. That makes a lot of sense, because other than a couple of very dedicated enthusiasts, my googling has turned up almost nothing on them other than just general stats. By gutless, do you mean that it doesn't want to rev, that it has no high end, or that it has too little power in general for how heavy and wide the Accord was? Because it's the F22 is basically the same as a B20z power-wise, and the LS Integra wasn't necessarily slow, just not fast

I'm hunting for an engine swap in the X1/9, and the standard answer is usually K's or B's, which are very nice engines. However, I'm not looking for power or luxury, just nice low end power for daily cruising and at least 100% more power than stock, so at least 135whp, which I think is a pretty realistic goal for a small budget. I mean, I already don't have AC or PS to worry about, no power brakes or cooling fitment worries for that matter. So if K24's are supposed to fit with "minimal" cutting, saving $2000 on a F with some H internals sounds like a hell of a deal

clam ache posted:

Because there big fat pigs of motors. And people think accord and slow. But the older f series motors can be bullet proof and allegedly handle boost well.

Especially if they're as tough as they sound. Honda SOHC engines are pretty resilient on their own, but basically the only thing I heard from the couple of enthusiasts I found is how hard you can push an F series for the surprising performance that they can get with cheap upgrades

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Plus how loving hilarious would it be to watch the rest of the forums react to it

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Offsite AI is welcome to use my Daihatsu-Fans.org or DaihatsuRacing.com or Daihats.us domains. I don't have a Daihatsu problem, we may have a Rocky relationship, but I don't play Charades.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

DJ Commie posted:

Offsite AI is welcome to use my Daihatsu-Fans.org or DaihatsuRacing.com or Daihats.us domains. I don't have a Daihatsu problem, we may have a Rocky relationship, but I don't play Charades.

:3:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BraveUlysses posted:

Looks like a Mazda 6
I was going to say 2 door 90s Grand Am but I see that too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I could set up a forum on horsecocks.info

Or I guess hellafunctional might be more appropriate.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 21, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

This one still appears to be functional? Are we Preparing For The Worst?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, ok. That makes a lot of sense, because other than a couple of very dedicated enthusiasts, my googling has turned up almost nothing on them other than just general stats. By gutless, do you mean that it doesn't want to rev, that it has no high end, or that it has too little power in general for how heavy and wide the Accord was? Because it's the F22 is basically the same as a B20z power-wise, and the LS Integra wasn't necessarily slow, just not fast

I'm hunting for an engine swap in the X1/9, and the standard answer is usually K's or B's, which are very nice engines. However, I'm not looking for power or luxury, just nice low end power for daily cruising and at least 100% more power than stock, so at least 135whp, which I think is a pretty realistic goal for a small budget. I mean, I already don't have AC or PS to worry about, no power brakes or cooling fitment worries for that matter. So if K24's are supposed to fit with "minimal" cutting, saving $2000 on a F with some H internals sounds like a hell of a deal

Especially if they're as tough as they sound. Honda SOHC engines are pretty resilient on their own, but basically the only thing I heard from the couple of enthusiasts I found is how hard you can push an F series for the surprising performance that they can get with cheap upgrades

The F22/23 (not talking about the F used in the S2000, completely different engine) is just tuned more for low end power (... for a Honda) and economy more than anything else. I guess it had reasonable power for what it was - 2.3L with 150 hp/152 tq isn't terrible for a 90s engine - but the Accord, as you point out, was a pretty big car. The 2.2L in the Saturn I drive now has pretty similar power ratings, in a much lighter car, but the gearing is so much taller in the Saturn that it feels about as sluggish as the Accord did. City mileage in my Saturn is a lot better, but the Accord did better on the highway.

My 01 Accord LX would always nail 33-35 MPG on road trips, and the 98-02 was the largest car they put the F in. I managed to drive to Austin, stay almost a week (with lots of driving around), and drive back to Dallas, on a single tank - over 500 miles total on that tank, and whacked 35 MPG on the head... with the ac on and cruise set at 80-85 both ways. It probably would have been more like 36-37 if I had filled up at both ends and only counted highway miles. It was gutless, boring as hell, and literally beige, but reliable. I'm amazed at the mileage it got, especially since at 80 it was a bit over 4000 RPM if memory serves correctly.

Mine was the F23A1, which was the VTEC engine used in 98-02 Accords that weren't base models (anything above the DX and VP trim that didn't have a V6 got it - DX and VP got the non-VTEC version). It was the most boring car I've ever owned, even with the manual transmission, but it was generally hassle free. The only thing I ever did while I owned it was tires, oil changes, and a timing belt. It would randomly stall when I would clutch-in to downshift, but I never got around to trying to figure that out.

The F23A1 will probably come close to your power goal in stock trim, but I believe they added a passive immobilizer in 98 (and the F23 came out for the 98 model year), so you'd need to send the ECU off to have the immobilizer disabled. The H22 used in the last gen Prelude, on the other hand, didn't get an immobilizer until the second year of that generation, so the H22 would probably be a better candidate if you can track down a 1997 Prelude ECU and an engine from any 97+ Prelude. It also puts down a hell of a lot more power - 180-220 hp depending on year, I believe all 5th gen Prelude H22s put down 220 hp at the crank.

You could also go with the OBD1 ECU, which IIRC, will be easier to tune, and doesn't have a post-cat O2 sensor. They used the H22 VTEC as early as the 92 model year (but only on VTEC models, whereas all 97+ Preludes had VTEC). I don't think much really changed on Honda engines when they went from OBD1 to OBD2 - I know on the D series, they added an intake air temp sensor and a knock sensor for 96+, with all other sensors remaining the same. There's plenty of OBD2 <-> OBD1 conversions out there too, but it's been a really long time since I played Honda Legos. I have NO clue what tuning options are out there these days, last time I looked into HondaLegos, Hondata was the big name. Honda 4 cylinders of that era relied on MAP instead of MAF though, so the ECU can adapt pretty easily to pretty much anything that doesn't require adjusting VTEC crossover, larger injectors, or boost.

e: also, the only stock B series that'll give you the WHP you're looking for is a B18C1 (94-01 Integra GSR, 170hp/128tq @ crank) or B18C5 (195hp/130tq, hard to find as in the US, it was only sold in the Type R). B18C1 or H22 would be my personal choices, just depends on how much you want to wind it out. You're going to lose quite a bit through the transmission, as you know.
e2: it uses a transverse/transaxle setup, right?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 21, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gimpsuitjones posted:

This one still appears to be functional? Are we Preparing For The Worst?

Lowtax hates what SA has become so anything not "hilarious" is probably gonna get deleted. We all have a pretty great dynamic here so we'd like to have a safety net.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

the 3 subforums I look at are pretty good (AI, TFR, PSP). The rest are weird

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

gimpsuitjones posted:

I post in AI, BSS and TV IV. X-O is a fantastic mod, he handles his poo poo very much the way IOC does. I was all but done in BSS before he took over and that forum has turned around quite a bit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I mostly stick to AI, with some posting in DIY. I lurk in A/T and SA-Mart occasionally.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Can I just catch a small break and chill the gently caress out? Found out a few months ago my wife was indeed pregnant. Last month we found out her blood sugar was way out of whack. We corrected some dietary issues and things were looking good. Thursday, she went in for a checkup and was immediately sent to a larger regional hospital. She's 33 weeks in and they baby is ready to come out. So for the last two days, she's been pumped full of steroids and not much has changed. We'll know more tomorrow, but I've got the worst feeling she won't be coming home for some time.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^
That sucks. Best of luck. (I am bad at expressing sympathy.)

gimpsuitjones posted:

I like the bicycle threads and the lawyer thread (yeah, we're assholes, but we're assholes TOGETHER.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Can I just catch a small break and chill the gently caress out? Found out a few months ago my wife was indeed pregnant. Last month we found out her blood sugar was way out of whack. We corrected some dietary issues and things were looking good. Thursday, she went in for a checkup and was immediately sent to a larger regional hospital. She's 33 weeks in and they baby is ready to come out. So for the last two days, she's been pumped full of steroids and not much has changed. We'll know more tomorrow, but I've got the worst feeling she won't be coming home for some time.

Good luck, buddy. I hope everything turns out for the better.

• Locked thread