Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The jokey video about this guy getting punched in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

does it offend you

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

deck the pricks with fists of fury

fa la la la la

lala la la

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kustomkarkommando posted:

does it offend you

It celebrates violence, which I don't approve of. Sometimes violence is necessary, but it should never be celebrated, in my opinion.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

lol that dude's a nazi, he literally wants to murder you

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

counterpoint: bash the fash

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think the big thing to worry about when viewing a video of a self avowed white nationalist who has vocally called for ethnic cleansing getting punched in the face is how it lowers the political discourse

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

does it offend you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygtNdUuC84U

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tesseraction posted:

lol that dude's a nazi, he literally wants to murder you

I'm sure he was dissuaded by some random guy punching him in the face. All his plans for my elimination curtailed because of one brutal physical own.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I hear there is even a commemorative plaque about the battle of cable street. disgusting.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm sure he was dissuaded by some random guy punching him in the face. All his plans for my elimination curtailed because of one brutal physical own.

won't somebody please think of the white supremacists??????

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuOQasXpdcs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

right-wing nazis and fascists lean on violence and Strong Men as forms of political power, kicking his rear end punching him is a pretty effective way of curtailing that

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Random and even organized counter street violence to the literal Nazis didn't keep them from power. Antagonizing centrists meant that they ended up siding with the safer gangsters. But please, don't let me distract you, you're looking for license to yell mean things at people or cheer others when they physically attack them, don't let me get in your way.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Random and even organized counter street violence to the literal Nazis didn't keep them from power.

That's because Paul von Hindenburg, Kurt von Schleicher and the other Junkers thought that giving Hitler the keys would cool him off.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Random and even organized counter street violence to the literal Nazis didn't keep them from power. Antagonizing centrists meant that they ended up siding with the safer gangsters. But please, don't let me distract you, you're looking for license to yell mean things at people or cheer others when they physically attack them, don't let me get in your way.

quote:

If fascism could be defeated in debate, I assure you that it would never have happened, neither in Germany, nor in Italy, nor anywhere else. Those who recognised its threat at the time and tried to stop it were, I assume, also called “a mob”. Regrettably too many “fair-minded” people didn’t either try, or want to stop it, and, as I witnessed myself during the war, accommodated themselves when it took over … People who witnessed fascism at its height are dying out, but the ideology is still here, and its apologists are working hard at a comeback. Past experience should teach us that fascism must be stopped before it takes hold again of too many minds, and becomes useful once again to some powerful interests.
- Franz Frison, Holocaust survivor, 12th December, 1988

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The suit and tie "identitarian" brigade are deliberately seeking to be engaged with in debates in order to lift their violent ideology onto the podium of political discourse. why give them a helping hand.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I really, really don't care if this guy gets punched sorry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

I think you'll find that the only thing that stopped the Nazis was violence

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Punch all Nazis in the face until they die

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dreylad posted:

I really, really don't care if this guy gets punched sorry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

I think you'll find that the only thing that stopped the Nazis was violence

actually after a vrey polite discussion hitler stopped what he was doing and apologised

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, okay, the next step is calling me a Neo-Nazi, I don't play these stupid games anymore. Y'all want a license to be just as despicable as the people you hate, don't for a moment think I believe you that it comes from any honest assessment that this is the best way to defeat them.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Naomi Shulman posted:

"Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than ‘politics,’” wrote Shulman, whose mother Elizabeth was born in Munich in 1934 and grew up in Nazi Germany. “They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

There are ways to engage in politics other than random street violence. Especially when you have extensive, well-established, time-tested democratic institutions, which the Weimar Republic didn't.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, okay, the next step is calling me a Neo-Nazi, I don't play these stupid games anymore. Y'all want a license to be just as despicable as the people you hate, don't for a moment think I believe you that it comes from any honest assessment that this is the best way to defeat them.

Do you think punching a Nazi is as bad as white nationalism

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Centrists go along with authoritarians because their privileged and place in the world isn't threatened. It has nothing to do with how nice you are too them.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If only we could learn the lessons of the World Polite Discussion 2 and the Nuremberg Critical Reflections.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if you've argued with other people in this thread so maybe I'm missing out on some context but I don't (or try not to) read intentions into other people's posting, I'd prefer if you didn't do the same to me and treat my mild enjoyment of seeing someone punch a nazi as being equivalent to supporting the genocide of other people based on their ethnicity or mental ability, cheers

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 21, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There are ways to engage in politics other than random street violence. Especially when you have extensive, well-established, time-tested democratic institutions, which the Weimar Republic didn't.

You don't sit there and treat fascists and white supremacists to a debate, because that implicitly legitimizes their positions and treats their opinions as valid (they're not).

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh yeah I'm sure if we'd just spoken out against them instead of resorting to crude violent methods we could've stopped them.

Oh wait my great grandfather literally did that before dying in Dachau.

My only problem with punching Nazis is that they're unlikely to die from it.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I wouldn't dream of calling you a Neo-Nazi. I think that's a supremely hosed up thing to say to a jewish person. I do think you are dangerously naive if you think fascists are defeated by discourse rather than force.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How's that US election going, anyway?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
i'm now taking applications for the rotfrontkämpfbund

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Like AA, I understand you're trying to advocate for reasonable discourse, but I think it's PRETTTTTYYYYY loving clear at this point that these assholes aren't interested in discourse. Trump was out their spouting loving fascist manifesto poo poo while they cheered. Like gently caress'em.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The ideology eater posted:

I wouldn't dream of calling you a Neo-Nazi. I think that's a supremely hosed up thing to say to a jewish person. I do think you are dangerously naive if you think fascists are defeated by discourse rather than force.

They can be defeated by many different tools, depending on the situation. Even if it calls for violence, it shouldn't be lauded, lest people get a taste for it.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

How is punch the nazi even a contestable statement

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The gently caress is the matter with you?

Don't want to develop a taste for violence? Against nazis? Are you serious dude?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

esto es malo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ8ERBr9yKI

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

visceril posted:

The gently caress is the matter with you?

Don't want to develop a taste for violence? Against nazis? Are you serious dude?

There is no such thing as an exclusive taste for violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

esto es malo posted:

This is the forum where an ancient meme is divisive enough to warrant the destruction of the forums

• Locked thread