Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it seems like it's been 8 years since the bulls didn't get annihilated by atlanta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

He's bad at it, in spite of having a huge wingspan and being pretty athletic. He gets eaten alive by elite PGs.

He has all the physical tools, except that his asthma makes it impossible for him to play hard on both ends, so he dies on screens, gets weak flailing contests, and generally kills the PNR defense by notputting in enough effort in the initial moments of the play

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lockback i was wrong about Durant's defense he is really really good this year

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I just saw the score

The Sixers are gonna make the playoffs

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

straight up brolic posted:

i wonder when firing stotts is going to catch on because holy moly

I'm on board the fire stotts train if you're conducting please drive it to portland

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

triple sulk posted:

I just saw the score

The Sixers are gonna make the playoffs

4 out once the Bulls lose.

Also, this remix is perfect.

https://twitter.com/RealMattCarey/status/822638387978969088

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How the gently caress did the Nets score 140 points in regulation

Luis Scola scored 14 points in 12 minutes

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It looks like Joerger is showcasing McLemore, and McLemore looks terrible. Malachi looks better than him right now

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
With only 18pts/10reb/5ast/4blocks in 22min. Embiid's streak of 20 point games comes to a close, falling 1 game shy of Allen Iverson's 11 game franchise record.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

4 losses in a row for the bucks. Just when I think they finally can solidify themselves in the playoffs, they keep loving up somehow.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Sixers play good enough defense that they are a legit threat to all mid level tier teams and like, the Griz and Jaz who I think are legit good teams but don't score enough to run away from anyone, as long as Embiid is around. They probably can't win without him, they don't have the juice.

Integrating Simmons, well, that might change things, but they gotta do it.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

Tae posted:

Just NO things

:iiam:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Tae posted:

They just fire 3s all day. They're like the rockets with worse players and but some of those shots are bound to go in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Rick posted:

Lakers fans really don't need pity this year anyway. Maybe the Lakers fans who thought before the season this was a playoff team and after the first ten games, a home playoff team, because they're in massive meltdown mode at the moment. Or the ones who only have a single game memory and think Russell and Randle are the worst players on Earth now because they don't remember the Pistons game on Sunday. We might have actually needed some pity if Magic Johnson wasn't too busy to be the team's GM if you believe the latest Jeanie Buss gossip (which I don't but whatever), and thankfully he's endorsed the young players so Jim and Mitch still have some time.

But most of us realize that this is going to take time and despite not getting wins, there's generally something positive to take away from almost every game against non-contenders. This is better than last year where Byron Scott would cut the legs out from under the youth, so maybe one in three games was positive, or the year before which was a wasted season due to Randle's injury. Ingram's slowly getting better offensively and has even started to show the ability to bounce back from a rough start and still end up putting up a pretty efficient line. Randle's had like, a bad week, but that comes off a month where he was the only consistent good player on the team.. D'Angelo's on the young shooter roller coaster which can be rough to ride sometimes but it's still a lot smoother than last year. Zubac . . . well after seeing him two games I'm pretty sure he's Ralph Sampson Jr. The vets are a mixed bag of inconsistency, but the team has money (despite pearl clutching about the contracts they've signed) going forward, a contract at every salary slot, and a coach who looks pretty good, and a GM who rips people off (when not desperately trying to keep the title window open) and drafts well, and ownership that in practice is a lot more stable than gossip implies. The team is also generally very entertaining.

I don't necessarily think this is a future championship team in the making (at least with what's apparent now) but I feel hopeful that we're not heading to Kingsville, population 20-38 wins every season for almost two decades with no road to the playoffs. Of course they could still end up there, but there's hope, which didn't really exist under Byron Scott or D'Antoni's last year.
I appreciate the Lakers writeup, I haven't really watched much of them other than the Spurs game. I was impressed with Randle's apparent overall growth. I do genuinely want a playoffs Lakers team around at the same time as this Warriors team just cuz it'd be cool to see an inter-Californian rivalr-...wait...sorry Clippers.
Still, who doesn't want to see the Warriors and Lakers clash at least kinda competitively someday (a lot of people probably). It'd be interesting just seeing which jersey these dudes choose.

stotts is definitely gonna get struck down with the curse of George Karl. just like everyone else who broke into his tomb. That reminds me, I stopped reading his book like 20 pages in and completely lost interest for some reason.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
...I actually envy 76ers fans...this is what sports hell is as far as basketball is concerned.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 21, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
RRRRUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYY

e: for context he has 27 points, 25 rebounds, and a very ho hum 2 blocks

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 21, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Lakers fans really don't need pity this year anyway. Maybe the Lakers fans who thought before the season this was a playoff team and after the first ten games, a home playoff team, because they're in massive meltdown mode at the moment. Or the ones who only have a single game memory and think Russell and Randle are the worst players on Earth now because they don't remember the Pistons game on Sunday. We might have actually needed some pity if Magic Johnson wasn't too busy to be the team's GM if you believe the latest Jeanie Buss gossip (which I don't but whatever), and thankfully he's endorsed the young players so Jim and Mitch still have some time.

But most of us realize that this is going to take time and despite not getting wins, there's generally something positive to take away from almost every game against non-contenders. This is better than last year where Byron Scott would cut the legs out from under the youth, so maybe one in three games was positive, or the year before which was a wasted season due to Randle's injury. Ingram's slowly getting better offensively and has even started to show the ability to bounce back from a rough start and still end up putting up a pretty efficient line. Randle's had like, a bad week, but that comes off a month where he was the only consistent good player on the team.. D'Angelo's on the young shooter roller coaster which can be rough to ride sometimes but it's still a lot smoother than last year. Zubac . . . well after seeing him two games I'm pretty sure he's Ralph Sampson Jr. The vets are a mixed bag of inconsistency, but the team has money (despite pearl clutching about the contracts they've signed) going forward, a contract at every salary slot, and a coach who looks pretty good, and a GM who rips people off (when not desperately trying to keep the title window open) and drafts well, and ownership that in practice is a lot more stable than gossip implies. The team is also generally very entertaining.

I don't necessarily think this is a future championship team in the making (at least with what's apparent now) but I feel hopeful that we're not heading to Kingsville, population 20-38 wins every season for almost two decades with no road to the playoffs. Of course they could still end up there, but there's hope, which didn't really exist under Byron Scott or D'Antoni's last year.

Yeah, this just about sums up my feelings as well. The Lakers have transitioned from a team desperate for any talent to a team that has hope one of their young players can blossom into a superstar. They have three guys who could, and a decent team around that. They play an entertaining brand of basketball, even if the game to game watchability is varying.

I think we've also seen just how important Larry Nance is to the team, since the defense has gotten so much worse since he was injured, but he is finally going to be back this weekend.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

AkumaHokoru posted:

...I actually envy 76sers fans...this is what sports hell is as far as basketball is concerned.

You don't have to envy 76ers fans. Joel Embiid is here to bring joy to the whole world.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MourningView posted:

RRRRUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYY

e: for context he has 27 points, 25 rebounds, and a very ho hum 2 blocks
OT but jesus :eyepop:
He'll always be the Frenchman that got away. So close. So close. Gobert and Kawhi woulda been so loving unfair

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Please don't trade Rubio for Reggie Jackson, that is a very sad thing to do to me.

straight up brolic posted:

lockback i was wrong about Durant's defense he is really really good this year

I now have everyone on board the Kevin Love is not a defensive sieve and Durant is not at all a one way player. Rubio will join the pistons and be an all star next year. My basketball fandom is a Greek tragedy, I am only vindicated after the players abandon their homes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Shabazz is a funny throw in. I doubt the wolves would have offered him QO, but I guess it makes things look a little better?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It helps that Durant is apparently playing more PF than before, so he's secretly Greek Freak in being a roaming 7 footer rim protector with supreme athleticism except he can also shoot

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

it seems like it's been 8 years since the bulls didn't get annihilated by atlanta

The Bulls are to the Hawk's what the Raptors are to the Bulls

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

There's so much going on in this picture, it's great.

I was at the game the Lakers ike two years ago when the Warriors won the title, but somehow got blown out by the Lakers. The stadium was definitely 1/4 Warriors fans which is just unheard of at a Lakers game, it was very interesting to see. There were a whole lot of people leaving the game early, even by Lakers fan standards, including a business man taking a very upset Steph Curry jerseyed child home; sad, two nights before Christmas, which had to be good for his character.

So yes, I'd like to see that matchup as well.

E: and good point, CLF, Larry Nance is very important.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm the girl wearing a Lakers hat and a Celtics jersey

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Tae posted:

It helps that Durant is apparently playing more PF than before, so he's secretly Greek Freak in being a roaming 7 footer rim protector with supreme athleticism except he can also shoot

he became a good defender through the coaching of monty williams

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i was at the win over the raptors. embiid was constantly hamming it up for the crowd and i'm glad that the fans here have finally embraced a philly athlete with a personality

it's amazing when noel is in though, how many times they feed noel the ball on offense outside the paint. like, what. the offense when embiid is off the floor is so discombobulated at times

also the double block by saric was maybe the loudest i've ever heard wells fargo center

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tae posted:

No one will listen to me about the Nets! No one!!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Doltos posted:

No one will listen to me about the Nets! No one!!

Your avatar brings me rage.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It should bring you zen, my flower child.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Tae posted:

Luis Scola is good and cool, and now he shoots three pointers.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Chinatown posted:

did you guys see the tweets from the Warriors new arena groundbreaking ceremony?

:yikes:

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/821466850449969153

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/821469532648677376

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/821468546307760129

i cannot wait until the tech bubble bursts

The Golden State Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the 2016 NBA Finals.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/822649712708829185

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/822660980425576450

The main upside of tonights game is that Sam Dekker is a confirmed good at basketball man and should start instead of Brewer.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I didn't watch the raptors game today because I was own the road. I'm looking and the box score and it looks like there's no numbers and just a pile of diarrhea? Weird.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The Golden State Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the 2017 NBA Finals.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Metapod posted:

he became a good defender through the coaching of monty williams

Realtalk Monty Williams is a very underrated coach. And he really, really cares about his players. I've heard a bunch of stories that make me feel like any organization would be better with him in it.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I am really happy for our 76ers fans. Seeing the Warriors finally win some games when Baron came around was the best feeling in the world, especially after being poo poo for such a long time.

Also, I love KD. He's so good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vwNcbLG02g
:saddowns:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
lmao at zach lowe genuinely thinking the cough button in the studio would make a coughing noise. someone get this guy a soundboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

...I actually envy 76ers fans...this is what sports hell is as far as basketball is concerned.

You could just also be a Sixers fan :)

• Locked thread