Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

The ending to this didn't really stick the landing for me. The last second drama felt kind of forced and also Otabek didn't make it on the podium.

He made it onto the podium of Yurio's heart and thats what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Season 2 could be "The Dumbass Adventures of Yurio and His One Friend Otabek" and it'd be AOTY for me.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

New video of someone doing Eros. Usually I don't bother with these videos, but seriously, watch this one. His name is Patton Chen and he's a former competitive skater, now an instructor, and for my money I think he channels better eros in the piece than Miyamoto.

(I may be pregnant.)

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Maera Sior posted:

New video of someone doing Eros. Usually I don't bother with these videos, but seriously, watch this one. His name is Patton Chen and he's a former competitive skater, now an instructor, and for my money I think he channels better eros in the piece than Miyamoto.

(I may be pregnant.)

Good god :allears:

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Very irresponsible to let those kids see such sexual content.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Adel posted:

Season 2 could be "The Dumbass Adventures of Yurio and His One Friend Otabek" and it'd be AOTY for me.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Maera Sior posted:

(I may be pregnant.)

Amazing.
Now he needs to do Theme of King JJ.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
That video is fantastic :stwoon:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Maera Sior posted:

(I may be pregnant.)

I am definitely pregnant. This was the feeling of conception.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Adel posted:

throw in the occasional cut to 'embarrassingly in love Yuri and Victor driving everyone around them crazy' and you got yourself gold.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maera Sior posted:

(I may be pregnant.)

Also pregnant

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
As promised, the jacket is done (sans patches) so I'm popping back in the thread real quick!

For something so simple, it did give me a bit of trouble.

First I had to order six zippers until I found one that matched my teal trim. Then, the piping was drawn in several contradictory ways which made it difficult to tell exactly it began and ended. Sometimes it seemed to have shoulder seams, other times it looked more like a raglan construction. In the end, I made some compromises, a very weird pattern, a lot of piping, and (the easiest part) sewed it on up. Particularly happy with the hood!

Next up will be drafting the pattern for the Short Program outfit!

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
That looks pro as gently caress and comfy as heck. The hood is my favorite part, too.

Edit: also I appreciate that all your teals are the same shade :neckbeard:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

That looks ridiculously good.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That is amazing. Do you go to cons?

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Unmature posted:

That is amazing. Do you go to cons?

Thanks guys! I just started going back to them after not having been since 2002. I went to Otakon this past summer, and Yuri and Yotsuyu will be for Katsucon which is...coming up very, very quickly.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Goldaline posted:

Thanks guys! I just started going back to them after not having been since 2002. I went to Otakon this past summer, and Yuri and Yotsuyu will be for Katsucon which is...coming up very, very quickly.

What's your home area?

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Maera Sior posted:

What's your home area?

Philadelphia, why?

And just so this isn't a nothing post, here's a materials test, I wanted to make sure the velvet appliqued OK. Sorry for the Instagram format on everything, it's just been the easiest way to post things as I work on them.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Goldaline posted:

Philadelphia, why?
If you want a free Balticon pass in exchange for being on a few panels, I can probably arrange for that.

quote:

And just so this isn't a nothing post, here's a materials test, I wanted to make sure the velvet appliqued OK. Sorry for the Instagram format on everything, it's just been the easiest way to post things as I work on them.
I'd take some shots from further back to see how it reads, since I suspect the texture might get lost. Have you considered fishnet over nude power mesh?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Goldaline posted:

Philadelphia, why?

You might know my dad.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Goldaline posted:

Philadelphia, why?

The "fishnet or not" question depends on if you want to go with a look that's more "anime" or more like the original concept design. The power net alone would mimic how it looks in the show/animation while the fishnet is closer to the original design's fabric sample. I personally like the fishnet but either choice will look good. If you go with the fishnet, instead of layering it over the power net (it might get too busy and blend in), I'd layer the fishnet on its own over skin colored spandex.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

In case people are still interested in skating, the US Nationals are this weekend. For people without specialty channels, NBC is scheduled to air the FS programs on Saturday and Sunday. If you want to try watching tonight, the men's SP is currently in progress.

Edit: Here's a good post on choreography and step sequences. There are a bunch of links, but I also need to add one more for Plushenko doing a breathtaking step sequence.

Second edit: Nathan Chen just hit 106 in the SP. New record in the US Nationals.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 21, 2017

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Maera Sior posted:

If you want a free Balticon pass in exchange for being on a few panels, I can probably arrange for that.

I'd take some shots from further back to see how it reads, since I suspect the texture might get lost. Have you considered fishnet over nude power mesh?

Oh wow, maybe! I've never been on a panel, but I have taught highschoolers to sew/make patterns! (I assume you mean panels about sewing?)

Adel posted:

The "fishnet or not" question depends on if you want to go with a look that's more "anime" or more like the original concept design. The power net alone would mimic how it looks in the show/animation while the fishnet is closer to the original design's fabric sample. I personally like the fishnet but either choice will look good. If you go with the fishnet, instead of layering it over the power net (it might get too busy and blend in), I'd layer the fishnet on its own over skin colored spandex.

Yeah, this was pretty much my train of thought. I was concerned the power net alone would be a bit boring, but it's probably closer to how it's actually depicted. For all your considerations:

Top is fishnet over nude mesh (not power net, I'd need to order that) over nude spandex. Bottom is fishnet over black power net and nude spandex. I thought I liked the more subtle effect of the black-on-black, but I might be coming around...

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Goldaline posted:

Oh wow, maybe! I've never been on a panel, but I have taught highschoolers to sew/make patterns! (I assume you mean panels about sewing?)
And other things. What's the best way to talk?

quote:

Yeah, this was pretty much my train of thought. I was concerned the power net alone would be a bit boring, but it's probably closer to how it's actually depicted. For all your considerations:

Top is fishnet over nude mesh (not power net, I'd need to order that) over nude spandex. Bottom is fishnet over black power net and nude spandex. I thought I liked the more subtle effect of the black-on-black, but I might be coming around...
Personally, I'd go for whatever will read as net from a distance (like the top here) but will also give a subtle effect when a bit closer so it's not so bland. I'd love to see a better photo of this combo, is it still with the metallic? You may also want to consider how much area will be covered with the net and make a sample that size to hold up in a mirror.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
https://twitter.com/JoeJohnsonIce/status/817823660148813824

https://twitter.com/JoeJohnsonIce/status/822598263039787008

https://twitter.com/Adaripp/status/822598909541449728

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maera Sior posted:

In case people are still interested in skating, the US Nationals are this weekend. For people without specialty channels, NBC is scheduled to air the FS programs on Saturday and Sunday. If you want to try watching tonight, the men's SP is currently in progress.

Edit: Here's a good post on choreography and step sequences. There are a bunch of links, but I also need to add one more for Plushenko doing a breathtaking step sequence.

Second edit: Nathan Chen just hit 106 in the SP. New record in the US Nationals.

Chen was crazy! Isn't it the second highest SP behind Hanyu or am I making that up?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Chen was crazy! Isn't it the second highest SP behind Hanyu or am I making that up?

National level competitions aren't accepted by the ISU for high score purposes, but yeah, that's about right.

ETA: A quick check shows me
1. Yuzuru Hanyu, 110.95 (GPF 2015-2016), 110.56 (World Championships 2016), 106.53 (GPF 2016-2017)
2. Nathan Chen, 106.39 (US Nationals 2017)
3. Shoma Uno, 105.74 (Team Cup Challenge 2016) <- This is when he landed the quad flip for the first time
4. Javier Fernandez, 104.68 (Spanish Nationals 2016)
5. Patrick Chan, 103.58 (Canadian Nationals 2016)

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 21, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it's very good that actual skaters love YoI

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Maera Sior posted:

And other things. What's the best way to talk?

Personally, I'd go for whatever will read as net from a distance (like the top here) but will also give a subtle effect when a bit closer so it's not so bland. I'd love to see a better photo of this combo, is it still with the metallic? You may also want to consider how much area will be covered with the net and make a sample that size to hold up in a mirror.

Email I guess? havinghorns at gmail Or I'm on my Instagram constantly. Maybe I'll make a test sleeve out of both. I also want to make sure the fishnet is actually stretchy enough.

Edited to add that it's unbearably cute that ice skaters watch and like the show.

Goldaline fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 21, 2017

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

This is beautiful and I love that his twitter name looks like Joe Johns On Ice

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

This is beautiful and I love that his twitter name looks like Joe Johns On Ice

lol

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

W-wait. Sprint Center?

I'm ashamed of myself. I can spit and hit that from where I live.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gibbering posted:

W-wait. Sprint Center?

I'm ashamed of myself. I can spit and hit that from where I live.

Why do live in an alley behind the sprint center

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

In Training posted:

Why do live in an alley behind the sprint center

Poor life choices.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Goldaline posted:

I'm really digging the fishnet over the nude and (based on how it looks in the thumbnail) I think it'll read a bit better than the black power mesh+fishnet combo at a distance and in pictures. The combo runs the risk of being a bit busy, and considering how much detail is in the outfit, I don't think it's a bad thing if the mesh part is kept simple to help balance it out, if that makes sense?

Edit: Those tweets, I can't believe my figure skaters are this cute :allears:

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 22, 2017

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

US Nationals men's free skate is tonight at 4-6pm EST. If you have NBC, you can watch it.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Maera Sior posted:

US Nationals men's free skate is tonight at 4-6pm EST. If you have NBC, you can watch it.

I'm forgetful so I always appreciate the heads up, thanks Maera.

Really looking forward to Chen's fs, that boy is improving at a disgustingly fast pace and I'm happy to see his performance skills are catching up to his technical abilities. He makes it look so effortless.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Adel posted:

I'm forgetful so I always appreciate the heads up, thanks Maera.

Really looking forward to Chen's fs, that boy is improving at a disgustingly fast pace and I'm happy to see his performance skills are catching up to his technical abilities. He makes it look so effortless.

You should be checking out https://twitter.com/JohnWilsonBlade while you're watching. Ashley Wagner is guest-tweeting and she's amazing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Maera Sior posted:

You should be checking out https://twitter.com/JohnWilsonBlade while you're watching. Ashley Wagner is guest-tweeting and she's amazing.

This is a pro click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Good lord, how do you do that with a fracture. I mean, I've busted my ribs and my tailbone and imagining that in my leg while trying to be athletic seems impossible.

• Locked thread