Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Spellman posted:

Good blog with some creepy/interesting Mario facts

quote:

Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that Super Mario Odyssey is a continuation of gameplay ideas from Super Mario Sunshine

I did not know this but it is good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Fluffy posted:

You've made some bad posts in this thread but this is your finest(?) work yet.

I honestly thought the game was close to death but it's apparently still going strong with one of the highest player counts on Steam. It's baffling because I never see anyone play it on my friend's list and Valve never advertises the game anymore on the storefront when new updates come out. The last I played, which was well over a year ago people the chat looked like an MMO with people trying to trade stupid-rear end hats constantly and weren't really playing the game. Now there's Microtransactions too? lol drat, how the mighty have fallen.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

KingEup posted:

I did not know this but it is good news.

I'm probably more excited for Mario Odyssey than Zelda at this point. 3D World is great and all, but I'm glad that they seem to finally understand what people mean when they say they want a new 3D Mario. I wanna see dudes doing crazy parkour speedruns of it at a GDQ in 2019

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

s.i.r.e. posted:

I honestly thought the game was close to death but it's apparently still going strong with one of the highest player counts on Steam. It's baffling because I never see anyone play it on my friend's list and Valve never advertises the game anymore on the storefront when new updates come out. The last I played, which was well over a year ago people the chat looked like an MMO with people trying to trade stupid-rear end hats constantly and weren't really playing the game. Now there's Microtransactions too? lol drat, how the mighty have fallen.

there have been cosmetic-focused microtransactions in tf2 for like six years

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm probably more excited for Mario Odyssey than Zelda at this point. 3D World is great and all, but I'm glad that they seem to finally understand what people mean when they say they want a new 3D Mario. I wanna see dudes doing crazy parkour speedruns of it at a GDQ in 2019

All I want is a whole Mario game of these levels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6CteMJiVbM

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

KingEup posted:

I love that the best bits of Sunshine are the ones without Fludd :allears:

edit: oh wait im dumb, you dont have to clean up slime though so that's a plus

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 21, 2017

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

KingEup posted:

Isn't that basically what Galaxy was with a few more bells and whistles?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

Isn't that basically what Galaxy was with a few more bells and whistles?

Yes and similarly so was 3D World and Land. But then people complained that it was too linear and there wasn't the large exploration feeling like Sunshine and 64 :v:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yes and similarly so was 3D World and Land. But then people complained that it was too linear and there wasn't the large exploration feeling like Sunshine and 64 :v:

Those games didn't have the fluid, powerful movement options of 64 and Sunshine.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Worked out fine for me! I really enjoyed those games but I'm ready to get back to a more open world Mario experience, so this is quite nicely timed!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah Galaxy and 3D games were great but they aren't "basically the SMS Secrets".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

greatn posted:

Buying a charge grip IS basically necessary if you get an extra pair of joy cons because you can only keep two charged at once via the system, there's nowhere else to plug them in.

If you're doing 20 hour marathon gaming with 4 people sure. If you aren't, then you charge two on the Switch overnight and charge the other two during work/school/whatever.

I have a dozen or so rechargeable AA batteries and my charger only charges 4 at a time. It's not an issue because I don't need to charge 5+ at a time just like 99% of people won't need to charge 3+ joycons at a time.

s.i.r.e. posted:

"Holy poo poo, you mean we can make how much money off of cosmetic sales to players???" -FPS developers looking at TF2 years ago.

If you want some real crazy, look at the skins market/gambling in CS:GO.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you're doing 20 hour marathon gaming with 4 people sure. If you aren't, then you charge two on the Switch overnight and charge the other two during work/school/whatever.

No one wants to keep track of which of their four controllers have been plugged in and which hasn't. I like to plug my poo poo in when I'm done with it.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I love TF2 but that little quote on IGN reads more like he feels his game is Too Cool to be on Kiddie Nintendo. TF2 is nice looking but it's not some hardware pushing graphics juggernaut. It's literally running on a modified Source 1 engine

Actually it reads more like "we can't fit the game on there". Because the guy chose to laugh the writers at IGN decided to make the title sound as if the man was derisively laughing at Nintendo in the headline.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 21, 2017

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Night Blade posted:

Actually it reads more like "we can't fit the game on there". Because the guy chose to laugh the writers at IGN decided to make the title sound as if the man was derisively laughing at Nintendo.

F A K E N E W S, people!!

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
So apparently Switch preorders in Japan sold out in fifteen minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells better over there at first.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

greatn posted:

No one wants to keep track of which of their four controllers have been plugged in and which hasn't. I like to plug my poo poo in when I'm done with it.

Man, if only they thought of you and your specific use case. How selfish of them!

Buy a $30 charging dock, it charges 4 JoyCons at once. So you can "plug your poo poo in when you're done with it"

No one needs a charging grip.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Dragon Quest Heroes is like $80 in Japan, lol. And Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 is $90. Koei is out of their loving minds.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Then I'll have two empty slots I'm not using.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/20/6-things-we-learned-about-ultra-street-fighter-ii-on-nintendo-switch

Yoshinoro Ono posted:

We tried to figure out what we can do to bring Street Fighter to Nintendo. Considering how Nintendo caters to a wide audience of users, we wanted to go back to our roots. We thought that Street Fighter 2 would be the right fit, instead of bringing you a new game that would have a more complicated system, he said.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes is like $80 in Japan, lol. And Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 is $90. Koei is out of their loving minds.

At least DQ Heroes is a bundle of both 1 and 2 together, and 2 is still a recent game. RoTK 13 loving sucks though and even with a Power-Up Kit they can't salvage that mess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Holy poo poo, you mean we can make how much money off of cosmetic sales to players???" -FPS developers looking at TF2 years ago.

If you want some real crazy, look at the skins market/gambling in CS:GO.

I know, and it's so god drat sad. But hey, if people want to pay...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/822584845704560640
https://twitter.com/kaztsu/status/822594440636338177

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Modus Pwnens posted:

ROTK 13 is $60 on steam and all the DLC is another $20. :wtc:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Modus Pwnens posted:

Switch is $40 cheaper, though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Well, I preordered the Switch and BOTW and paid in full. Getting 5% off takes a little of the sting out of the AU price, at least.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

greatn posted:

I thought she was blacklisted.

Booth guide looks up at the wall. A photo of Laura K. is taped with a handwritten note beneath it. "Do not let this person milk a cow." But it's already too late.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

why are they queuing so early

edit: on release day, i'm going to walk up to the nearest video game vendor, slap the cash right on his desk and say " a nintendo switch, chop chop" and they'll say "right to, sir" and people in the store are going to clap for some reason unrelated to my purchase of the switch, but the effect will be nice

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 21, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kurtofan posted:

why are they queuing so early

edit: on release day, i'm going to walk up to the nearest video game vendor, slap the cash right on his desk and say " a nintendo switch, chop chop" and they'll say "right to, sir" and people in the store are going to clap for some reason unrelated to my purchase of the switch, but the effect will be nice

those lines are for preorders

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Why dn't they use the internet?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
can't look cool on the internet

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

youcallthatatwist posted:

So apparently Switch preorders in Japan sold out in fifteen minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells better over there at first.

Better then people have trouble preordering it other places?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looper posted:

Graphical capabilities haven't been paramount for a while now. Where a game looks good and is pleasant to watch depends much more on the art team than the strength of a processor, and the common gamer is starting to realize that

Photorealism is stupid

Processing power affects more than graphics. There's a reason why Zelda looks so sparse. Not to mention AI, etc. Low processing power is limiting in every way.

edit: typo

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 21, 2017

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ARMS has a Beyblade man

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

KingEup posted:

Why dn't they use the internet?

i don't think you get japan

if you don't see a huge line somewhere, it is probably a national emergency

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

street fighter sucks

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

As someone that loved sf2 and its many incarnations back in the day, I have no loving clue who this game is for out side of the most hardcore's hardcoresist clique.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

As someone that loved sf2 and its many incarnations back in the day, I have no loving clue who this game is for out side of the most hardcore's hardcoresist clique.

Its for the developers of this game, who seem to be the same people that according to legend were upset that Americans preferred the version of SF2 with spee up movement and gameplay instead of the slower and more tactical revisions.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its for the developers of this game, who seem to be the same people that according to legend were upset that Americans preferred the version of SF2 with spee up movement and gameplay instead of the slower and more tactical revisions.

so tens of sales. I don't want the old 16 gfx. And i sure as gently caress don't like the HD look one loving bit.
All they needed to do is add some level of more frames of animation and use any of their many many talented artists rather then whoever did this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEmO33srNk

A good video that covers the issue of stock and sales numbers in relation to the Switch, pre-orders, and competing systems.

At the very least, there doesn't seem to be an artificial limitation on stock and it's keeping pace with how well the PS4 and XBOne did early on.

• Locked thread