Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Very carefully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Citizen Tayne posted:

Very carefully!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Taint posted:

I gave my arch linux install a 100M boot partition and now it won't update because it needs 102M in the boot partition.

make it bigger, centos 7.3 just up'ed /boot to 1GB

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Perplx posted:

Yeah I actually have a backup drive that I just dd to every now and then and resized the partitions on that one with gparted to test the scheme with a 1Gb boot partition. Booted to that drive successfully and resized the partitions with the drive that's normally live, so it's all fixed.

Also lol after all that bs:

code:
du -sh /boot
90M     /boot

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Colonel Taint posted:

code:
du -sh /boot
90M     /boot

lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perplx posted:

I always put 1gb boot, the default is always too tiny.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CrazyLittle posted:

intel EXPI9301CT*

they work! thank you crazylittle :D

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:thurman:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

told u bout intel bro

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
the intel 82574L is a real classic imo

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

graph posted:

you only miss out on stuff like tcp offloading but at 1gig who cares

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I bought an expensive sleep monitoring system because I sleep too late: https://hello.is/

It has a bug where it can't measure my sleep if I sleep past noon.

Currently considering trying to force my phone (which it links to) into thinking it's in a different time zone.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

I bought an expensive sleep monitoring system because I sleep too late: https://hello.is/

lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This should go in the tech bubel thread imo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

This should go in the tech bubel thread imo

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Currently considering trying to force my phone (which it links to) into thinking it's in a different time zone.

lol this is 100% serious

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

ShadowHawk posted:

change your diet and start working out and throw this thing out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also melatonin. or booze or both

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my stepdads beer posted:

better still get a real job and stop being a lovely slumlord

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Stymie posted:

even better get a polyester track suit and lean into being a lovely slumlord

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah i bet you could gin up some "smart apartments" ("smartments"??) and cash in on the internet of trash fad

how much of a premium do you think you could charge some dipshit nerd for having one of those thumbprint/smart card readers on the front door

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

yeah i bet you could gin up some "smart apartments" ("smartments"??) and cash in on the internet of trash fad

how much of a premium do you think you could charge some dipshit nerd for having one of those thumbprint/smart card readers on the front door

the last high-rise i lived in did in fact have an rfid reader at every entrance to the building

traditional keys inside but i bet that's because electric locks weren't cheap in 2007 when it was built

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
even if it's a thousand bucks to install, if it lets you jump the rent by a hundo a month you've made it back within a year

between the "beep... beep... ding-ding-ding!" and some cheap copy about "enjoy the convenience and sophistication of datacenter-class security" there ought to be some dipshit nerds who would eat that right up

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Way ahead of you all here. New or newly remodeled apartments get a fully integrated and networked system with tablet units in every home that do videophone and door opening for the front door and climate control for the apartment etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
my great grandma's co-op building had rfid access and videophone using the in-building cable tv network in the late 90s

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

my stepdads beer posted:

@ shadow hawk: please lift

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stymie posted:

Just did my taxes on this.

In 2015 I made ~800 dollars renting out extra rooms after expenses
In 2016 I ran a loss of ~2000 dollars (though there was a move between houses in the middle there)

This isn't gross expenses, it's net since I can only deduct 80% of them (as I live in one of the five rooms).

The real winner is my landlord who I pay rent to on the house, not me in the middle rerenting furnished rooms.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

my stepdads beer posted:

Already on the diet path, although I do need to time my workouts carefully because when I do them around 11pm or so when I feel most active it can further push back my sleep.

Agile Vector posted:

also melatonin. or booze or both
Booze is a very bad idea if your goal is to have productive sleep rather than quickly make it be tomorrow.

The trick with melatonin and light therapy is it's very easy to get the opposite effect of what you want if you time it wrong: "light during the morning" might be when you're in the night-time phase of your circadian rhythm if you're off by enough, and the result would be to push your sleep even later.

This device is to help me collect data so I can measure the effect of these therapies. Also to be aware of other sleep issues -- for instance it will tell me about noise disturbances at night; I learned that when the sprinklers go off and the water pump outside my window engages it pulls me out of deep sleep but doesn't wake me, and thus I should change the timing on them. That's not a thing I'm likely to have learned without it.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the noise thing is super handy, melatonin and a soundscape worked for me but also because I started using a fitness band that tracked sleep so I could find when I really slept poorly and also wake at a more natural time. normally sounds aren't the interrupter for me, but I can see how that'd be handy to have metrics on

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also yeah booze is a real messer for valid sleep, I find I'm stiffer after a few evening drinks and I can tell my sleep tracker registers less consistent restful sleep

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

After a night of heavy drinking and going to bed at like 2 or 3 am, I only get about 5 hours of lovely sleep before I wake up again.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
it's a great way to wake up on time

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

i got an SSD at work and tried to clean install windows 10. it's now all set up and everything good to go, but the windows installer decided to reuse my old POS spinning drive's boot partition without asking. ok sure, i should have removed the original drive before installing because of course this would happen, but it's too late now.

is there any way to fix this without reinstalling every program again?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

yippee cahier posted:

i got an SSD at work and tried to clean install windows 10. it's now all set up and everything good to go, but the windows installer decided to reuse my old POS spinning drive's boot partition without asking. ok sure, i should have removed the original drive before installing because of course this would happen, but it's too late now.

what did you do

did you install windows 10 onto the ssd
did you install windows 10 onto the old hard drive
did you not install windows 10 after all

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 9, 2017

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i am guessing they installed win10 on the ssd while still having the old drive hooked up in the computer

source: ive done that too many times myself and as far as i know the only thing you can do is reinstall everything without the other drives in

edit: oh also remember to delete the boot partition off the old drive too once you get it booting off the ssd

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 9, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaman Linavi posted:

i am guessing they installed win10 on the ssd while still having the old drive hooked up in the computer

source: ive done that too many times myself and as far as i know the only thing you can do is reinstall everything without the other drives in
people love to treat computer touchers as mind-readers and they need to end that poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yippee cahier posted:

go into your efi and pick the newer boot loader as the default.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Shaman Linavi posted:

edit: oh also remember to delete the boot partition off the old drive too once you get it booting off the ssd

correct. ok, i'll say gently caress it, i don't have time for this again. thanks.

Shaggar posted:

go into your efi and pick the newer boot loader as the default.

windows didn't create one, it reused the old one without prompting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

yippee cahier posted:

correct. ok, i'll say gently caress it, i don't have time for this again. thanks.

windows didn't create one, it reused the old one without prompting.

remove old drive, boot from windows 10 setup disk thing to enter boot repair, have it run boot repair until it makes a new boot thingy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i should build a new compy