Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

my personal favorite batshit crazy conspiracy theory is The Phantom Time Hypothesis

OH! I love this one too! I was just talking about it the other day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Elyv posted:

my personal favorite batshit crazy conspiracy theory is The Phantom Time Hypothesis

Hahaha yes that's the russian idiocy where the guy basically graphed the events of the last 1,000 years, then graphed 1,000 years of events from the bible & decided that those graphs are totaly the same

note: iirc this also means that a lot of roman caesars were also russian czars without knowing it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Powaqoatse posted:

Hahaha yes that's the russian idiocy where the guy basically graphed the events of the last 1,000 years, then graphed 1,000 years of events from the bible & decided that those graphs are totaly the same

note: iirc this also means that a lot of roman caesars were also russian czars without knowing it

Nope, that is the equally but separately insane New Chronology.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

George Washington, the person, was long dead before some rando made up a fable about the idealized infaliable God-King George Washington being a perfect being that couldn't even lie as a child.

Actually he had only been dead for a few months before Parson Weems published his bullshit instabook. Maybe people worked faster back then?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

skasion posted:

gently caress i shoulda known there are multiple weird chronologies

but thx fwiw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

skasion posted:

"close to three centuries (AD 614 to 911)" hmm yes, this is clearly based on physics & math

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

skasion posted:

I've actually never seen this one before, it's even better than phantom time.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Powaqoatse posted:

"close to three centuries (AD 614 to 911)" hmm yes, this is clearly based on physics & math

While the whole thing is obviously insane, the 297 years between those two dates are close enough to three centuries to me? :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Elyv posted:

Just for my own sake; the three major point of phantom time (lol even at the name)

1 there's no scarcity of archaelogical material between the curiously specific years 614–911.
2 romanesque architecture is obviously a tip of the hat to prior architects. even now architects make a choise to expand on a prior work, or make something new (the latter are purely poo poo, 100%)
3 the idiotic calendar claim is so convoluted that im kinda sure it actually disproves the lovely idea.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

While the whole thing is obviously insane, the 297 years between those two dates are close enough to three centuries to me? :confused:

this is true. i dont even know.

my only excuse is that i hit the wrong result when i did the lovely meath in my lovely head

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

Just for my own sake; the three major point of phantom time (lol even at the name)

1 there's no scarcity of archaelogical material between the curiously specific years 614–911.
2 romanesque architecture is obviously a tip of the hat to prior architects. even now architects make a choise to expand on a prior work, or make something new (the latter are purely poo poo, 100%)
3 the idiotic calendar claim is so convoluted that im kinda sure it actually disproves the lovely idea.

There's also stuff like astronomical events such as eclipses and comets referenced prior to his timeskip that wouldn't make any sense with his calendar and non-European stuff happening during the years he said never happened; the rise of Islam being the notable one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powaqoatse posted:

They put “AD” before the number.

They clearly know what they’re doing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baron Corbyn posted:

There's also stuff like astronomical events such as eclipses and comets referenced prior to his timeskip that wouldn't make any sense with his calendar and non-European stuff happening during the years he said never happened; the rise of Islam being the notable one.

i love that we can now combine astronomical & other observations, its fantastic imo. especially now, i think that pretty much anything made of wood in "olden" europe can be dated to when when the tree was felled.

and we should all be glad that science was free in islam. algebra, algorithms, etc

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I wonder why a theory that suggests that Islam is fake and made-up might have some popularity in some quarters lately! :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

funmanguy posted:

Also a shocking number of people believe New Zealand is real.

Well, it's not on the map.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

America isn't real. All the media supposedly coming from America is faked in Europe to maintain the illusion. People that think they've traveled there are just drugged on Iceland and implanted with false memories. There are huge hangars near Reykjavik full of dozing tourists waiting to return home to Europe or wherever. Paid posters claim to be Americans in forums like these, but I can see through that crap.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Say Nothing posted:

whats that lil foot tho

is that my new zeland righ thre?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ISSAT NUZELLANDRIGHT THERR

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Powaqoatse posted:

ISSAT NUZELLANDRIGHT THERR

It's pronounced Nuzild

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

OH! I love this one too! I was just talking about it the other day!

The Phantom time poo poo is hilarious bullshit but if you're trying to counter it with something one of the Plinys said in your wikipedia article you might as well just admit you're attacking bullshit with other bullshit

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Yet there are two Chukchi Peninsulas :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

cptn_dr posted:

It's pronounced Nuzild

soz bazza

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Phantom time poo poo is hilarious bullshit but if you're trying to counter it with something one of the Plinys said in your wikipedia article you might as well just admit you're attacking bullshit with other bullshit

But it's very easy to verify that a solar eclipse actually happened when Pliny (in this case) said it did. NASA's got that eclipse dated very accurately.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kassad posted:

But it's very easy to verify that a solar eclipse actually happened when Pliny (in this case) said it did. NASA's got that eclipse dated very accurately.

Goddamnit science

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPUo9whncMU&t=195s

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So did Tintin have time travelling abilities or is this one of those central/northern European things where it's cool to portray the rest of the world as stereotypical savages in the 20th century

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Powaqoatse posted:

- Apparently there's a pretty persistent rumor among old people that Nelson Mandela died in prison. I've never heard the rumor, but it appears to be a thing for 40+-year olds ?!
That guy doing the sign language at his funeral was clearly trying to communicate something in secret code.

quote:

- idk more of that

I heard about this one conspiracy theory perpetuated by this Russian guy who insists that Freddie Mercury was 100% completely heterosexual and also a devout Christian and he was infected with AIDS by this gay conspiracy masterminded by Elton John to create a martyr for the Insidious Homosexual Agenda.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Aesop Poprock posted:

So did Tintin have time travelling abilities or is this one of those central/northern European things where it's cool to portray the rest of the world as stereotypical savages in the 20th century

It's from Prisoners of the Sun, where he meets a 'lost Incan civiliastion'. Tintin's not perfect by any means but from the Blue Lotus onward Herge is generally pretty realistic in his depiction of the contemporary 20th century world, with occasional digressions into 'lost magical tribe' territory.

It's also something that crops up far and wide, not just in European work (although it's rooted in colonialism so Europe is certainly a huge influence on depicting other cultures in this way).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tintin is basically the innocent ideal of colonialism, but he found a scrap of newspaper & realized the whole eclipse thing because he is so smartwhite

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheat Loaf posted:

I heard about this one conspiracy theory perpetuated by this Russian guy who insists that Freddie Mercury was 100% completely heterosexual and also a devout Christian and he was infected with AIDS by this gay conspiracy masterminded by Elton John to create a martyr for the Insidious Homosexual Agenda.

that is amazing

im gonna assume that russian guy really lilked queen and really did not like elton john, like "i only listen to straight music" type of guy?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Powaqoatse posted:

Tintin is basically the innocent ideal of colonialism, but he found a scrap of newspaper & realized the whole eclipse thing because he is so smartwhite

Apparently that scene is actually based on a real occurrence with Christopher Columbus when he was stranded in Jamaica. When the natives got pissed at him (because the Europeans cheated and robbed them), he looked at his astronomical charts and noticed that a lunar eclipse would be appearing. He went up to the local leader and pretended that God was angry with them for their "poor treatment" of the sailors and would make the moon appear inflamed with his wrath right as the eclipse was occurring, then went into his cabin and pretended to pray until the eclipse went away.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chitoryu12 posted:

Apparently that scene is actually based on a real occurrence with Christopher Columbus when he was stranded in Jamaica. When the natives got pissed at him (because the Europeans cheated and robbed them), he looked at his astronomical charts and noticed that a lunar eclipse would be appearing. He went up to the local leader and pretended that God was angry with them for their "poor treatment" of the sailors and would make the moon appear inflamed with his wrath right as the eclipse was occurring, then went into his cabin and pretended to pray until the eclipse went away.

doesn't that story exist for every single explorer and every single "savage peop" combination that you can think of though?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

America isn't real. All the media supposedly coming from America is faked in Europe to maintain the illusion. People that think they've traveled there are just drugged on Iceland and implanted with false memories. There are huge hangars near Reykjavik full of dozing tourists waiting to return home to Europe or wherever. Paid posters claim to be Americans in forums like these, but I can see through that crap.

He knows

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The Erdapfel is the oldest surviving terrestrial globe. Since it was made in 1492, it doesn't show the Americas:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Fun fact: Behaim couldn't know this (because he wouldn't know that potatoes existed) but “Erdapfel“ (lit. “Earth Apple“) would go on to become the word for potatoes in large parts of southern Germany and Austria, which is why I did a double-take when I read the globe's name for the first time :v:

I also really like the Swabian term for potato: “Grundbirne“ (=“ground pear“). Sadly it's now all swiftly being replaced by the Standard German “Kartoffel“, though, which in turn comes from the Italian “tartufolo“ (=“small truffle“)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

Fun fact: Behaim couldn't know this (because he wouldn't know that potatoes existed) but “Erdapfel“ (lit. “Earth Apple“) would go on to become the word for potatoes in large parts of southern Germany and Austria, which is why I did a double-take when I read the globe's name for the first time :v:

I also really like the Swabian term for potato: “Grundbirne“ (=“ground pear“). Sadly it's now all swiftly being replaced by the Standard German “Kartoffel“, though, which in turn comes from the Italian “tartufolo“ (=“small truffle“)

There's a similar thing about oranges

Most germanic languages call them some variation on "chinese apples"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Byzantine posted:

The Erdapfel is the oldest surviving terrestrial globe. Since it was made in 1492, it doesn't show the Americas:

“Let’s see. ‘Cipangu’ is Japan, and I know where Cape Verde is, so what’s that land plotted between them?”

”…just the phantom islands of Saint Brandan and Antillia.”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

holy

when you said "didnt show the americas" i didnt realize that it actually has Asia < ocean > Europe, no continent in between

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Regarding Phantom Time/New Chronology, the idea that people were multiplying and distorting an accurate history isn't, actually, impossible (although yes these two are insane and stupid.) One historian has concluded that Khmer chronicles written circa 1800 describe the time after the fall of Angkor, about 1430-1580, but it's basically totally fictional. The historians felt they had to write something, but didn't have any traditions about this period and were imitating Thai culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya but also there are full wood-ring chronologies of like 3 types of trees back to like 20k years ago that match up with p much any historical source so

i guess those systems just ignore it?