Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

Here's a follow-up that no one asked for, but we're on the Oneplus phase of the Android Thread Cycle, so hey:

Getting a replacement was easy-peasy. Requested a support call, got one promptly. I explained the situation and they two-day (?) shipped a new replacement. Slapped their shipping labels on the replacement's box, and I'm about to drop the "bad" phone in the mailbox. Easy.

Here's the issue, if you were curious.

Ouch. I had the same problem with my launch day Nexus 5 that I didn't notice for six months. Google had no problem replacing it as soon as I called. I love the Google store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EdEddnEddy posted:

Do explain?

In reference to the goon with the OPT who is loving with his phone.

A phone that requires software modifications is probably not a good phone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Maybe you guys have a recommendation: is there a good BT receiver with 3.5mm audio out available that will turn on and off with my car automatically? It would be used mostly for just audio streaming, but speakerphone ability would be a nice bonus. Micro USB power would be best.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Maybe you guys have a recommendation: is there a good BT receiver with 3.5mm audio out available that will turn on and off with my car automatically? It would be used mostly for just audio streaming, but speakerphone ability would be a nice bonus. Micro USB power would be best.

I have this https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B011NR0BY8 and it's really good and does what you say.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Awesome, it even has sane cable routing. Thanks!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LastInLine posted:

The dude owns the best phone ever made

So why isn't he still using his 2013 Moto X Developers Edition? :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Duggler posted:

Is that why my Samsung charger fried the battery on my DualShock 4 :(

Just LOL if you don't have a docking station for your ps4 controllers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're exactly the problem, you're going by specs. Oneplus phones are piles of trash, if you can't afford a Pixel (even on contract) then get a Moto G. Do not buy a OnePlus. Even an S7 has a better user experience than a Oneplus.

You're on the Pixel XL now aren't you? Is there user experience really much different than than on the S7? I know you used it on Marshmallow but I really do like the phone. Never owned a Galaxy phone before the S7 myself.

I've never owned an iPhone but have a 2015 iPod touch which is nice and fluid but it's not a hell of a lot smoother than my S7. Apples and oranges, I know, but still.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You're on the Pixel XL now aren't you? Is there user experience really much different than than on the S7? I know you used it on Marshmallow but I really do like the phone. Never owned a Galaxy phone before the S7 myself.

I've never owned an iPhone but have a 2015 iPod touch which is nice and fluid but it's not a hell of a lot smoother than my S7. Apples and oranges, I know, but still.

Haha in the span of a year I used the S7, Note7, Pixel XL, and now I have an S7 Edge too for work. Honestly, the S7 Edge might beat it in terms of raw benchmarks, but the user experience on the Pixel XL is literally night and day. The Pixel Android experience is so much smoother, more fluid, more consistent, etc. The S7 Edge still has weird hiccups, chops, slowdowns, lags, and the interface visual design is inferior. Samsung is doing a good thing with their 7.0 interface "Grace UX" or whatever but even if you have an S7/Edge, I would recommend moving to a Pixel if you can.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Iirc he posted about how it was much more cohesive and shat on literally every other phone he'd ever used

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haha in the span of a year I used the S7, Note7, Pixel XL, and now I have an S7 Edge too for work. Honestly, the S7 Edge might beat it in terms of raw benchmarks, but the user experience on the Pixel XL is literally night and day. The Pixel Android experience is so much smoother, more fluid, more consistent, etc. The S7 Edge still has weird hiccups, chops, slowdowns, lags, and the interface visual design is inferior. Samsung is doing a good thing with their 7.0 interface "Grace UX" or whatever but even if you have an S7/Edge, I would recommend moving to a Pixel if you can.

My contract is up in May 2018 so... yeah. What I might do is see what the Pixel 2 is like later this year. If it's waterproof and the bezels are reduced or the screen takes up more of the device, I might see about getting out of my contract early. At this stage, I can't justify the cost to change.

Blue Train posted:

Iirc he posted about how it was much more cohesive and shat on literally every other phone he'd ever used

I can't keep up with this thread. Take a break for a week and you come back to War and Peace.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Blue Train posted:

It really is. I agree on the above comments that I really want the Pixel 2 to a) be IP67+ and b) have smaller bezels. But really, it absolutely does poo poo on every other phone I've ever used and I think most if not all Pixel users here agree with me.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Absolutely agree. Doubters need to learn: specs don't matter.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

It really is. I agree on the above comments that I really want the Pixel 2 to a) be IP67+ and b) have smaller bezels. But really, it absolutely does poo poo on every other phone I've ever used and I think most if not all Pixel users here agree with me.

Unlike other Pixel owners, you have a frame of reference we can trust.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Unlike other Pixel owners, you have a frame of reference we can trust.

Am I the new hotsauce :ohdear:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

To determine that we need to know one thing:

What covers your phone?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

To determine that we need to know one thing:

What covers your phone?

....not grip tape, that's for sure

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

....not grip tape, that's for sure

Then hotsauce's seat is safe. You, CLAM DOWN, can clearly gently caress off.

Edit: In what way does it feel more "cohesive"?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 21, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Edit: In what way does it feel more "cohesive"?

Maybe another Pixel user can help me out here as this is kind of an abstract thing to describe, but it feels like an iPhone if that helps at all. It feels like one entity designed and perfected the entire stack so all the parts work smoothly and properly with each other. There's no feel on this phone like any part is incomplete or not working well with something else or causing a problem.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Maybe another Pixel user can help me out here as this is kind of an abstract thing to describe, but it feels like an iPhone if that helps at all. It feels like one entity designed and perfected the entire stack so all the parts work smoothly and properly with each other. There's no feel on this phone like any part is incomplete or not working well with something else or causing a problem.

Can you compare this to an area of the S7E you feel lacks this cohesiveness? It should help visualize what you mean.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Can you compare this to an area of the S7E you feel lacks this cohesiveness? It should help visualize what you mean.

The S7E's settings menu doesn't even feel cohesive to me. Feels like several different teams designed different parts of the UI and smushed it into one. General performance too, swapping between apps or scrolling through items, or hitting the home button, everything feels a little unpolished in comparison.

I dunno, just fukin buy a pixel man trust me, i know phones

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Thread title.

That's why I posted it :v:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It's pretty hard to describe why the pixel is so great, everything about it just works. Its retarded Apple logic but I can't escape from using it.

Also the battery is insane on the XL, I don't even glance at my battery during the day even if I want to watch a movie on the train or play games. I can use my phone for hours each day and I'll come home with 40% left without even touching battery saving mode. With battery saving on I'm pretty sure I could leave it sitting idle for a month and come back to some juice.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

The S7E's settings menu doesn't even feel cohesive to me. Feels like several different teams designed different parts of the UI and smushed it into one. General performance too, swapping between apps or scrolling through items, or hitting the home button, everything feels a little unpolished in comparison.

I dunno, just fukin buy a pixel man trust me, i know phones

My Note 4's still going strong, I'm thinking my next purchasing decision will be between the Pixel 2, the iPhone 8, and Note 8. I did say previously that the Pixel and the V20 were the only top end phones to consider right now, which I'm narrowing down to just the Pixel given the V20's bootlooping. If my Note were to bite it today that's the phone I'd get.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Like everyone says, it's so hard to describe what makes the Pixel so great but it's everything about it? That sounds dumb, but it's true. I don't keep mine in a case and it feels so great in the hand. Before I had it, I was all "The bezels are too big", "Looks like an iPhone without the button", "It's boring" but now I realize that the bottom bezel is necessary to use such a large phone one-handed (you can put that bottom part in the crook of the thumb and it sits perfectly). It feels so solid and nice, it's just... thought out.

And then that extends to the software. Everything just feels like someone gave a poo poo. The software runs smoothly all the time. I didn't realize how much my other devices didn't until I had one that does. It's in daily use where it shine and you just realize that it's always great to use, every time.

If you made me say the worst things about it, I'd say that the weakest areas are the areas where Google has failed. Stuff like the lovely messaging situation or the way location sharing is crappy on their new app and looks like abandonware in G+. I guess I could criticize lacking features like wireless charging or water resistance but in practice I've never had a water resistant phone and that's never been a problem and like The Duggler said, I'm pretty sure the battery can't die and it charges fast enough that's it's not a problem in practice. These feel like minor complaints compared to the pleasure it is to use every time. It's just so much more than the sum of its parts.

I do wonder if I'll feel the same way in a year as it's only been a month because it's hard to imagine the device getting better with time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Golly its almost like iPhone users were on to something for the last decade when Android people kept saying "b-but the specs...!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Golly its almost like iPhone users were on to something for the last decade when Android people kept saying "b-but the specs...!"

Android people tended not to be "b-but the specs...!" in my experience to much as "b-but the lockdowns...!"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

It's interesting you bring that up because the last time I can remember being just blown away by how much better a consumer product was than its competition was when I got my MacBook Air in 2011. I'd never even seen OS X in person before that point but I did know computers were horrible to use and after a day I realized that computers weren't terrible, Windows was terrible. The best part is that that MBA is running better now almost six years later than the day I bought it and I've never had to do something dumb like reinstall the OS--it just works perfectly, every day without fail for half a decade with me doing absolutely nothing to maintain it. It was worth every penny even if it cost five times more pennies than my previous computer.

There are a lot of Android spec sheet buyers and I think they overlap heavily with the anti-Apple crowd for a good reason. Apple (from my experience) has always been about the experience first and if you've got some weird us-vs-them mentality where you won't even consider they might have a point, then you're already too far around the bend to understand. So all you're left with is comparing numbers, that's just the nature of things. After all, you can't give "Total ownership experience" a number. I don't think they were saying "Experience doesn't count when you've got 6GB of RAM," rather, "I reject that experience matters at all. Therefore janky phone A has 4GB of RAM and janky phone B has 6GB. As all phones BUT THE ONE THAT SHANT BE NAMED are janky, 6 is bigger than 4." They reject the fundamental idea that things can be enjoyable, just as I did before I bought that Air. "Accepting that the only choice is amongst poo poo, what do the numbers say is the best combination of that poo poo?"

I like to think that some of us Androiders have understood this all along and we wanted the iPhone experience with the Android usage paradigm. That's what the Pixel is (and Google has for the most part stated this explicitly).

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The bigger bezels on my 5x and now the Pixel are actually growing on me. I can hand my phone to someone to show them something without them accidentally hitting a soft button that makes it go away.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well it's your own fault if your pc is terrible. Stop running crap software on crap hardware. Mine works well and the OS install is originally from 2009!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Well it's your own fault if your pc is terrible. Stop running crap software on crap hardware. Mine works well and the OS install is originally from 2009!

Is this a joke or are you really that bad at understanding things?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I need a new phone as my Xperia Z3 Compact is falling apart. Ideally I'd like something the same size (or at least <5") and as cheap as possible. I would've gone for a Moto G4 but it's just so big and clunky feeling. What's the best value small smartphone these days? I don't really want another Sony although I had a decent experience with the Z3C.

I'd prioritise a good camera over games performance etc.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I switched to an iPhone 7+ long ago bruh, which would explain the lack of griptape shitposting. The move has saved me a shitload of money since I'm no longer chasing the "latest and greatest." :newlol:

Da Fruit Stand Master Race®

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 21, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hotsauce posted:

I switched to an iPhone 7+ long ago bruh, which would explain the lack of griptape shitposting. The move has saved me a shitload of money since I'm no longer chasing the "latest and greatest." :newlol:

Da Fruit Stand Master Race®

What do you think of it compared with Android phones generally?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do you think of it compared with Android phones generally?

Assuming you aren't luring me into a troll trap of sorts, I generally like it just fine. Got an iPad Pro 12.9" a while back, then a Macbook Pro...started thinking about iMessage tying all of it together, ended up with a 7+ and Apple Watch. poo poo just together works pretty awesomely.

Does all I need it to do, no need to babby sit, it's nice to have iMessage across everything.

Sold my Pixel XL a while back for a healthy profit (lol) and was able to get an unlocked HTC 10 on the cheap a few weeks ago ($280) to tickle my Android nerdiness. Have it linked (cloned) to my line with T-Mo DIGITS beta and use it sometimes. So, best of both worlds, but iPhone does 99% of what I need it to do. The Google apps on iOS are...just better...it's weird.

Still a phone nerd, but have cooled my jets on buying poo poo for the time being. No ragrets, really.

No holy war here, just answering the question. Have fun with this information goons!

But yeah, while the HTC 10 is nice, nobody should ever buy a non-Pixel. That's a badass, if expensive device and the only one I'd ever recommend for Android.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

I need a new phone as my Xperia Z3 Compact is falling apart. Ideally I'd like something the same size (or at least <5") and as cheap as possible. I would've gone for a Moto G4 but it's just so big and clunky feeling. What's the best value small smartphone these days? I don't really want another Sony although I had a decent experience with the Z3C.

I'd prioritise a good camera over games performance etc.

Moto G4 Play? That's 5". Camera isn't great though.

Otherwise if you want <5" your choices are either the recent Sony Xperia compacts or an iPhone SE.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I turned off the fingerprint sensor for a few hours today. Holy poo poo, how did people live?!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't have a fingerprint sensor but do have a fitness band that I use as a trusted device, between that and the trusted places I never need to enter my pin anyway

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was out and about in some crowds today and wanted to make sure a PIN was required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Oh I like the little lock at the bottom of the screen that requires the pin when you touch it. It's a nice feature