Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I still want to actually actually build my own house someday, like, draw up the plans, do the framing, etc. How else can you know that it's been done properly?

My plan would probably be visit the building site daily, box of doughnuts and coffee in one hand, shotgun in the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Gounads posted:

My Day:

Ask the town hall how many copies I need to file. Don't get an answer. Look up that there's 5 members, so I make one for each plus one.

Go to staples, make copies.

Go to town hall. I didn't make enough copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $50.

Go to staples, make more.

Go to town hall. Talk to different person. Since the board isn't currently full, I originally had the right number of copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $20 (luckily, we figured that one out).

If I'm boring you, tell me to post less.

Please pay in small change next time

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

TheMightyHandful posted:

Please pay in small change next time

It is so not worth getting into a piss fight with the city. Clerks have little power, but if you piss them off and you need something from them, they can make your life a living hell.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
N'thing wanting to know more about local politics and the whole process. Never seen another house build talk about it in such detail and it's extremely interesting. It really sounds like the people stamping your permits have little idea what they're doing or what they need either.

At least it'll be worth it in the end!

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

OSU_Matthew posted:

N'thing wanting to know more about local politics and the whole process. Never seen another house build talk about it in such detail and it's extremely interesting. It really sounds like the people stamping your permits have little idea what they're doing or what they need either.

Small-town-committees/commissions.txt

I attended a Conservation Committee hearing for my soon-to-be neighbor over in western Massachusetts, mostly to see what they had planned and how it might impact runoff. Half of the discussion among the committee members was proper process & procedure and how to properly document their actual decisions. It wasn't even that they didn't understand what the purpose of the hearing was, it's the byzantine procedures they've received no official training on that everyone tripped over.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gounads posted:

Go to town hall. I didn't make enough copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $50.

Go to town hall. Talk to different person. Since the board isn't currently full, I originally had the right number of copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $20 (luckily, we figured that one out).

Sounds like you need a checkbook. :) I can't imagine dealing with local government without one. It provides you with a receipt that your bank keeps track of for you! (Just make sure to write the form number or similar on the memo line.)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Went to the plumbing supply store to pick everything out.

Came out to $7500 not including vanities or shower door. So could be $10k+ after we add those in.

Budget? $2400

gently caress.

Already found comparable stuff on build.com and amazon that'll save $2500, so need to talk with builder/plumber soon.

Also found this, and it's amazing:
https://www.amazon.com/Herbeau-5501...keywords=toilet

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Gounads posted:

Went to the plumbing supply store to pick everything out.

Came out to $7500 not including vanities or shower door. So could be $10k+ after we add those in.

Budget? $2400

gently caress.

Already found comparable stuff on build.com and amazon that'll save $2500, so need to talk with builder/plumber soon.

Also found this, and it's amazing:
https://www.amazon.com/Herbeau-5501...keywords=toilet

We bought our stuff off amazon and other places after we had picked it out. I had asked our plumber and he had said he was cool with it. However, it didn't come out to being that much different, since the place where you picked it out generally gives a kick back to the plumber, so they make sure to get that back into their price (more labor, or the discount/credit of the piece isn't as much as the cost). So if you decide to do this, really make sure you have a price locked in with the plumber first.

Edit: We should have saved about $2000 from buying it ourselves. We ended up saving maybe $100, although we did upgrade quite a few different things as well, so probably $500-800 savings off the suppliers prices.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Now only $17,595! Gotta love the FREE SHIPPING.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Now only $17,595! Gotta love the FREE SHIPPING.

get 2!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MrEnigma posted:

We bought our stuff off amazon and other places after we had picked it out. I had asked our plumber and he had said he was cool with it. However, it didn't come out to being that much different, since the place where you picked it out generally gives a kick back to the plumber, so they make sure to get that back into their price (more labor, or the discount/credit of the piece isn't as much as the cost). So if you decide to do this, really make sure you have a price locked in with the plumber first.

Edit: We should have saved about $2000 from buying it ourselves. We ended up saving maybe $100, although we did upgrade quite a few different things as well, so probably $500-800 savings off the suppliers prices.

Luckily, labor is all included in our contract, so that *shouldn't* happen for us. Meeting with the builder tomorrow morning to go over everything. The other big change is going from a prebuilt to a tiled shower in the master bath, so I'm sure there's a couple grand.

Bank gave me the next disbursement, and it was $17000 short. WTF. At least tell me which piece didn't make it without making me ask. Should find that out tomorrow.

Rough electrical is mostly done.
Rough plumbing starts tomorrow.
Siding is done on one side of garage.

Three inches of rain forecasted for Monday. Will have a nice muddy mess. Hopefully it gets us closer to removing the water ban so I can water a lawn in the spring.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Gounads posted:

Bank gave me the next disbursement, and it was $17000 short. WTF. At least tell me which piece didn't make it without making me ask. Should find that out tomorrow.

They saw your post about the toilet throne and decided to surprise you by buying it for you.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

n0tqu1tesane posted:

They saw your post about the toilet throne and decided to surprise you by buying it for you.

:master:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

n0tqu1tesane posted:

:drat:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Went down, and builder had just left :/

Talked with Plumber to get all the layouts right.

Builder called back. I don't have all the numbers right, so things aren't as bad as they seem. The $2400 was just for the tub. Will figure that all out this afternoon. Yay

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
It's amazing how difficult it can be to get answers like "How much can we spend on plumbing fixtures" or "What would it cost to do a full tile shower".

Things continue to move forward. Rough plumbing and electrical, more siding, bunch of other little things.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Did you figure out the deal with the missing $17K?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Gounads posted:

It's amazing how difficult it can be to get answers like "How much can we spend on plumbing fixtures" or "What would it cost to do a full tile shower".

Things continue to move forward. Rough plumbing and electrical, more siding, bunch of other little things.

We have a fairly small shower, probably 4x3, tiled completely (ceiling, around the front edge, bull nosed around the opening). Our builder quoted us $2600 for materials and labor, which I think is on the low end. I am not sure I know how much it ended up costing, probably a bit more since we did QuartzLock and nicer tile. But I would think your range is 2500-5000 or so depending on how nice/crazy it will be.

Edit: That also does not include the glass door, which for us was another $500-600 (24" door, 70" w/ Aquapel costing), my dad works at a glass shop so he ordered the glass, got the hinges/sweeps off amazon/ebay. Total cost to get it installed is probably 1.5-2x that.

Edit2: The cost stuff is pretty crazy though, just either trying to figure out how much something will cost (we had our entire loan itemized/bucketed out by type...), or what it actually ended up costing. If you're interested in our breakdowns, I can PM you all my numbers.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 25, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Safety Dance posted:

Did you figure out the deal with the missing $17K?

Water/Sewer - This is the second disbursement it wasn't included on. Now they want an invoice from the town to prove it was hooked up. Woulda been nice to know that before they didn't pay it twice.

Figured out all the plumbing stuff.

I got the shower quote. $4400 + glass, for a 3x5 with 2 tile walls, fiberglass bottom, 2 glass walls/doors. We already had an $1100 allowance for a shower door, hopefully that will come close-ish to covering the glass.

The tub was like $3k after you include the filler and drain, so we're going to amazon that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LC2GVZW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=317CTJMU1K868&coliid=IAIZ2KZXF6SUW
Let me know if anyone knows why that's a horrible idea.

Of course, most things were slightly over allowances. So I figure we'll end up paying the builder another $3k or so, plus order the tub ourselves.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Gounads posted:

The tub was like $3k after you include the filler and drain, so we're going to amazon that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LC2GVZW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=317CTJMU1K868&coliid=IAIZ2KZXF6SUW
Let me know if anyone knows why that's a horrible idea.

Is that the exact same tub? I've heard horror stories of people buying chinese made tubs that don't meet code, and having to get ripped out. In our case the Kohler tub (acrylic) ended up being quite a bit cheaper from the distributor than I could find it any other place.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

MrEnigma posted:

Is that the exact same tub? I've heard horror stories of people buying chinese made tubs that don't meet code, and having to get ripped out. In our case the Kohler tub (acrylic) ended up being quite a bit cheaper from the distributor than I could find it any other place.

no, not same tub.

I've found a bunch of reviews for this company, mostly all positive. But that's certainly not full proof. I sent the builder the link to look at it, and I'm sure he wouldn't install it if it wouldn't meet code.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

How can a tub not meet code?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Really easily if it's a spa tub. There are electrical requirements for those things for very good reasons.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm actually not sure if it was code, or some certification, or just the plumber blowing smoke. Supposedly he had to take one out earlier that same year, the customer had purchased it themselves, wasn't caught until inspection. It does kind of sound like a lot of BS, I can't find anything online.

There are a ton of cheaper tubs/faucets/etc, but maybe i'm just old school or being scammed, but I can't bring myself to put a cheap faucet in. If it decides to leak any time in the next 15-20 years I'm going to be super pissed and be annoyed with everything I saved on it, but I have a feeling a lot of domestic manufacturers want people to feel that way.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

MrEnigma posted:

I'm actually not sure if it was code, or some certification, or just the plumber blowing smoke. Supposedly he had to take one out earlier that same year, the customer had purchased it themselves, wasn't caught until inspection. It does kind of sound like a lot of BS, I can't find anything online.

I'm willing to bet it was the homeowner who installed it himself or had a friend do it, and just screwed something up. Bathtub installation isn't all that complicated, but when you get people who do it themselves and try to cut corners, there's all sorts of ways they can gently caress things up and make it harder in the long run.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

Really easily if it's a spa tub. There are electrical requirements for those things for very good reasons.

This makes sense, but for a standard cast iron or fiberglass insert tub, as long as the pipes are hooked up right (which might be its own code related nonsense), I would think just a plain tub is like a sink- no code just installer error

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

This makes sense, but for a standard cast iron or fiberglass insert tub, as long as the pipes are hooked up right (which might be its own code related nonsense), I would think just a plain tub is like a sink- no code just installer error

Adding a tub on a second floor without reinforcing the floor to take the extra weight. Adding a tub too close to an outlet or non-wet-rated light fixture. Improperly-installed (or missing entirely!) tile. Insufficient clearance around tub creating trip hazards. Inadequate ventilation.

I'm not familiar with the code, but I'd expect that all of those would be in there somewhere.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

quote:

add generator outlet and isolation cover on panel 1,100.00 1,100.00
add network cables upstairs(cat 6) 325.00 325.00
5 extra recessed cans 750.00 750.00
3 20 amp dedicated gfi circuits in garage for work area 600.00 600.00
2 extra work lights with switch over work area 425.00 425.00
under cabinet lighting in kitchen(6 total) 975.00 975.00
1 outlet on each wall in basement (4 total) 975.00 975.00

"Extras" from electrician.

We did have $1650 budgeted for the generator hookup, so that will cover some of this.

I expected the can-light charge.

$1025 for the work shop area outlets/lights and $975 for basement outlets surprised me.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Holy poo poo adding 3 circuits and 4 outlets can't be more than 2 hours of work and like $100 in materials. I wish I could make $750 an hour.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea it seems pretty steep, though I'm guessing he probably has to run conduit or something because I don't think you can have "bare" romex run in basements if they're not behind a wall or something.

I would totally run them myself after the fact if you didn't need some sort of minimal power outlets or something in the basement for code.

e:
Also, for your kitchen lighting, you could just get some LED pucks on amazon, a couple z-wave appliance modules and a smartthings hub to have a DIY version that could also be scheduled. Wouldn't look quite as nice (you'd see the appliance modules - unless you hid the outlets, if that's even allowed by code), but it would cost you $150 or less.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 30, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
You say "extras" in quotation marks, what's the story? Change order from you, or electrician didn't read the plans right on his bid?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Holy poo poo adding 3 circuits and 4 outlets can't be more than 2 hours of work and like $100 in materials. I wish I could make $750 an hour.

Especially with no walls currently. We were charged $125 for misc extra outlets on a C/O and we had plaster in the way.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Slugworth posted:

You say "extras" in quotation marks, what's the story? Change order from you, or electrician didn't read the plans right on his bid?

I never even saw the original quote, that was between the builder and the electrician. I just got a $32450 for electrical line item on my contract with some general details like "All outlets and GFCI outlets in house per code"

We knew extra can lights were $125 each, so cool. Network cable was also not budgeted for, cool.

Under cabinet lights... wasn't in the contract but it was in the RFP. I guess we'll eat that one. I should have caught that during the contract phase I guess. Seems pretty expensive for 6 lights.

Workshop electrical, yeah... I sorta guess maybe that could be considered extra and not "in house". That's expensive for 2 lights and 3 outlets so I'm not happy. I guess 3 separate circuits kinda rocks.

The basement outlets were on the plans, so I'll push for that charge to go away.

Gounads fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 31, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Pretty much what I expected, not paying for basement. Budgeted generator hookup was missed. So $2500 less.

Concrete truck is there now pouring basement floor.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
What exactly is their argument for charging extra for a detail their bid missed? You never signed off on a line item electrical bid, so they can't possibly put the blame on you. They were given plans, and said they could do all the work on those plans for a set amount. When you gently caress up a bid, you eat the fuckup, not your client.

It's great that you're in a position to absorb the costs, but I'd be making a stink about it, and either the electrical sub or the GC (who is supposed to be keeping subs accountable) would be eating those basement outlets. Especially since you're being reasonable regarding the cabinet lights which were called out on an RFP that I'm assuming he also bid off of.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Slugworth posted:

What exactly is their argument for charging extra for a detail their bid missed? You never signed off on a line item electrical bid, so they can't possibly put the blame on you. They were given plans, and said they could do all the work on those plans for a set amount. When you gently caress up a bid, you eat the fuckup, not your client.

It's great that you're in a position to absorb the costs, but I'd be making a stink about it, and either the electrical sub or the GC (who is supposed to be keeping subs accountable) would be eating those basement outlets. Especially since you're being reasonable regarding the cabinet lights which were called out on an RFP that I'm assuming he also bid off of.

The things I'm eating weren't on the plans.

These are the kind of details that not having an architect caused us to miss. It's a risk we accepted when we chose not to spend that money.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Gounads posted:

"Extras" from electrician.

We did have $1650 budgeted for the generator hookup, so that will cover some of this.

I expected the can-light charge.

$1025 for the work shop area outlets/lights and $975 for basement outlets surprised me.

Those prices just seem amazing to me. . . I had an electrician install two circuits and 5 outlets in my garage, it was $200. Four outlets in the basement for $975? The can light fixtures are probably anywhere form $8 to $35. I guess there must be a lot more labor involved than what any of the workers have ever done on my house buy those prices are just amazing, at least it will be finished and you won't have to deal with it afterwards.

Is the network cable going to ran in conduit so you can pull more lines later if necessary? is it specifically Cat 6 or Cat 6A? Do you know if it splined or not? I don't think the spline makes a difference, I think originally Cat 6 required a spline in the middle but newer Cat 6 no longer requires the spline. The spline is just one more thing to trim off when terminating the cables, I wish my Cat 6 was not splined.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Gounads posted:

The things I'm eating weren't on the plans.

These are the kind of details that not having an architect caused us to miss. It's a risk we accepted when we chose not to spend that money.

Ahhhh, pardon my tone then (which obviously wasn't intended towards you in the first place). I thought you had said the basement outlets were.

...... and now I think I see my confusion. 'Not paying for the basement' means *you* aren't? I took it to mean *they* weren't paying for it.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 31, 2017

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Slugworth posted:

Ahhhh, pardon my tone then (which obviously wasn't intended towards you in the first place). I thought you had said the basement outlets were.

...... and now I think I see my confusion. 'Not paying for the basement' means *you* aren't? I took it to mean *they* weren't paying for it.

I didn't detect any tone, all cool. Correct, I'm not paying for it. The "extra" bill went from like $5000 to $2500, I'm not happy because individual things seem high, but I'm ok with it.

Stepping back and looking at the big picture... I budgeted to be paying more in overages than we have so far.
- We're saving $12,000 in a retaining wall
- Our cabinets came out $1000 under our allowance - I expected several thousand over
- Our appliances were a few grand less than I budgeted
- Lighting fixtures were just about what I expected
- Plumbing fixtures were a little over, but not a lot (I don't have the exact figure on hand)
- I expected $5k for a back patio, we're paying like $8k for a deck instead, but the retaining wall savings pay for that.
- We're paying an extra $4k for a nicer master shower, but that's still paid for by the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

And of course the architect saving. You seem to be ahead so far, fingers crossed.

• Locked thread