Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Probably the whole fried chicken - African American stereotype thing.

This is Trump's America, you can call people niggers in prime time now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Alright. Black people are barred from being in, around, or near any place that sells Fried Chicken.
In fact, they are outright barred from buying chicken at all, in case they fry it themselves at home. Fried Chicken is a racist meal, and we have to do something to stop this scourge.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Who is the "they" that are upset with the commercial featuring a black spokesperson directed at black communities.

It's a bunch of nobodies on twitter, isn't it?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
being unable to enjoy fried chicken without being insulted is probably the worst thing racism did

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Johnny Aztec posted:

Alright. Black people are barred from being in, around, or near any place that sells Fried Chicken.
In fact, they are outright barred from buying chicken at all, in case they fry it themselves at home. Fried Chicken is a racist meal, and we have to do something to stop this scourge.

It would seem easier to ban chicken breeding, therefore making fried chicken obsolete past the current generation of chickens.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've heard apparently during the whole Kaepernick protest Rice apparently was publicly and vocally an all lives matter proponent. So uh, he's not the best black man to be using to try to sell fried chicken, all things considered.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fried chicken kicks rear end. Everyone loves fried chicken.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah but it's often used to wink at stereotypes of black indolence. Or sometimes, like other seemingly innocuous stereotypes, it just comes from a dumb limited way of looking at other human beings.

This appears to me to just be a black guy in proximity to fried chicken so the ruckus is a little silly. But given recent events people worrying too much about racism is the least of our problems.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

It does and that is true. Fried chicken is good poo poo. The problem is that racist folks just assume that all black people like fried chicken more than anything else because they're black. It's tied up with their entire view of black folks; they're all the same. Somebody that specifically says "all black people love fried chicken and eat as much as they can" probably assumes that all black people are also violent, overweight thugs living on welfare while smuggling/doing drugs and being in a gang. That's why it's kind of touchy. Dave Chappelle actually had a set about it and recounted experiences where he'd go to a restaurant in the south and the waiter would basically just order chicken for him. It's downright disrespectful to just assume that he's going to have chicken because he's black. Maybe he likes chicken but wants a hamburger that day. Maybe the black guy in question is a vegetarian. If you don't know him it's awful to assume he'll have chicken because black people prefer chicken above all else.

As an aside the fried chicken we know and love in America actually does, in fact, partially originate in Africa.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I mentioned it already in this thread but an earlier Popeye's ad with a bunch of people eating fried chicken in a nightclub was specifically reshot to add some more white faces.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not racist but, I think that paper towel shirt is a fantastic idea for a wing restaurant.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm willing to admit im racist but I really want a dipping sauce hat.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm willing to admit I am an alcoholic

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just got an e-mail from my phone carrier, AT&T, with the subject line "AT&T customers like you can say bye"

Sounds like they're insulting me! Like they're saying "we don't even need trash customers like you."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Frickin Pete & Pete Season 3 is unreleased because Viacom is being cheap about music licensing. Michael C. Maronna says they even recorded commentaries and stuff for it. Nope, never coming out.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Frickin Pete & Pete Season 3 is unreleased because Viacom is being cheap about music licensing. Michael C. Maronna says they even recorded commentaries and stuff for it. Nope, never coming out.

That poo poo hasn't been coming out for more than a decade. I found digital rips of season 3 online to go with my legally purchased first two seasons.

It's like Christmas. You have to just let it go.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Man I hope no one ever makes a stereotype about how much white people love mac and cheese.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Jesus Christ. What sort of sniveling sack of poo poo can find a reason why a person isn't allowed to get paid to make a commercial for a thing? The man got paid a stupid large sum to promote fried chicken. He doesn't have a problem with it so why should anyone else. PC culture is poo poo and everyone who takes offense to that commercial should go and gently caress themselves. I'm sick of it. You dont like it, don't eat the chicken and spend that time pushing little stones into your rear end because gently caress you and gently caress everything you believe in. I believe that fried chicken is delicious and if a big black motherfucker says it's good that's probably because it is good because black people like fried chicken and I should probably eat what they like. loving hell.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All I can take from this is that nicely cooked chicken is good and that people who get worked up over who is eating and enjoying it are retarded.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Jesus Christ. What sort of sniveling sack of poo poo can find a reason why a person isn't allowed to get paid to make a commercial for a thing? The man got paid a stupid large sum to promote fried chicken. He doesn't have a problem with it so why should anyone else. PC culture is poo poo and everyone who takes offense to that commercial should go and gently caress themselves. I'm sick of it. You dont like it, don't eat the chicken and spend that time pushing little stones into your rear end because gently caress you and gently caress everything you believe in. I believe that fried chicken is delicious and if a big black motherfucker says it's good that's probably because it is good because black people like fried chicken and I should probably eat what they like. loving hell.

Ahh, there's nothing like the soothing ignorance of white people.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Before the internet, I'd never heard of the fried chicken stereotype. Or the watermelon one. Apparently grape juice is one as well?
If I went to America I'd probably commit horrible faux-pas all the time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Before the internet, I'd never heard of the fried chicken stereotype. Or the watermelon one. Apparently grape juice is one as well?
If I went to America I'd probably commit horrible faux-pas all the time.

it's cool, all three of those things are delicious

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Grape soda sucks. Orange soda is the one true "fruit" soda.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Glazier posted:

Ahh, there's nothing like the soothing ignorance of white people.

I was going to bring up the question of "Why did Jerry Rice do the commercial if he likely knows about the stereotype?", but I did some Googling and apparently he's one of the All Lives Matter assholes so now I think I understand.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Jan 24, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, black people shouldn't be in ads for fried chicken. It's problematic.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Race specific advertising is problematic. It was freaky seeing an almost identical shot-for-shot Doublemint gum ad with Black people instead of White for use on African-American-centric media. The solution is to just use all races, but Middle America collectively poo poo itself over two gay White dads in a commercial. Their colons would violently explode and slither across the good carpet if they had to witness a White guy and his Ebony life partner glistening in the sunlight like a polished piece of obsidian.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Are you talking about the Sonic guys in the car?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No there was a soup commercial with two dads feeding their son. I think it also involved Star Wars so even more people got upset that "perfect" "family" Disney company was involved too.

Even though Disney is actually always been a huge supporter of LBGT

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I mentioned it already in this thread but an earlier Popeye's ad with a bunch of people eating fried chicken in a nightclub was specifically reshot to add some more white faces.

At least they didn't try to composite them like people do with billboards when they get called out on racism. "gently caress! Tony, fire up photoshop and put some black people in this ASAP!"

*does a GIS for "black people"*

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I was at the grocery store and saw a black man picking up a package of Perdue boneless skinless chicken breasts. I shook his hand and congratulated him for breaking the sterotypes I was thinking about when I saw him in the chicken aisle.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wasn't gonna post it but on reflection it actually is a pretty dumb marketing move on its own: when Obama became president a German frozen food company decided to commemorate the occasion with specially branded fried chicken strips.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
Curry sauce does make a drat good dip for fried chicken though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

You are 100 times madder than anyone actually is about that commercial.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm more offended by the Golden Gate Bridge being on the packaging. California knows poo poo about fried chicken. You need southern fried chicken!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So we just got two 21st century examples of a German and Japanese company being racist.

At least they're not the stereotypically German and Japanese targets of racism. Progress!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

So I just got an e-mail from my phone carrier, AT&T, with the subject line "AT&T customers like you can say bye"

Sounds like they're insulting me! Like they're saying "we don't even need trash customers like you."

It's the rarely-seen negging marketing strategy.

Did it work?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm more offended by the Golden Gate Bridge being on the packaging. California knows poo poo about fried chicken. You need southern fried chicken!

FRIIIIIIED CHICKEN

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's 2017 and there's a health insurance company advertising with Chuck Norris jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Len posted:

It's 2017 and there's a health insurance company advertising with Chuck Norris jokes.
He doesn't have too many years left to live. I'd expect the jokes will pick back up for a while when he does, and then are hopefully never told again.