Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tested goes on a test ride to test the Chevy Bolt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ir4y2JwbEw

No major reveals, but interesting to get someone's personal take and a very interesting observation from about 19:30 regarding the eyes' focal distance. When you look straight ahead, then glance in the mirror, your eyes don't have to change focus - even though the mirror is just a few inches from your face. They eyes stay focused at infinity (which I think is 20 feet or so) due to the magic of optics. However, if you are looking at a rear view video screen ten inches from your face, your eyes have to come down all the way from infinity to a very close focus, then back to infinity to watch the road. Since a mirror check like that only lasts a fraction of a second, it will be very irritating on long drives. I've been annoyed by this in other contexts, having to glance around a big room frequently while paying attention to a laptop screen, and I can safely say I will not buy a car which has only video screen rear view instead of glass mirrors.

Since you flip between the two modes on the Bolt, I wouldn't mind that at all. Nice to have a rear view video when backing out from a spot with a fully shopping loaded car for instance - but the rear view video may as well be on the dash monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

People that don't adjust the steering wheel down drive me insane.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

In a followup to my EV adventures, it turns out Fiat can't move any 500e even with super cheap lease rates so now they are advertising $50 a month + tax with 0* down. This is bonkers.

Fine print:
$49 a month + taxes for 36 months, 10k miles per year. 1st payment, TTL, and $2,500 down payment (same cost as the state rebate) required at signing. $8,500 factory rebate, up to $4,500 in clear air rebates, must qualify for lease conquest or $1,000 extra due at signing.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
How is there a $2,500 downpayment when $49 * 36 months is $1,800?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kimcicle posted:

In a followup to my EV adventures, it turns out Fiat can't move any 500e even with super cheap lease rates so now they are advertising $50 a month + tax with 0* down. This is bonkers.

Fine print:
$49 a month + taxes for 36 months, 10k miles per year. 1st payment, TTL, and $2,500 down payment (same cost as the state rebate) required at signing. $8,500 factory rebate, up to $4,500 in clear air rebates, must qualify for lease conquest or $1,000 extra due at signing.

There has got to be a way I can lease one of these in Nevada. Arrgh.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

blugu64 posted:

How is there a $2,500 downpayment when $49 * 36 months is $1,800?

The downpayment is in addition to your monthly payments. He is going to have to pay $2500 + Tax title and licence as well as his first payment up front. Then $49 each month after for 35 more months. It will probably cost somewhere around $6000 over the course of the lease which is around $166/mo of actual cost.

E: Plus anything he doesn't qualify for like the lease conquest rebate.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can buy a used one with 20k miles for 6 grand.

how terrible are they?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

kill me now posted:

The downpayment is in addition to your monthly payments. He is going to have to pay $2500 + Tax title and licence as well as his first payment up front. Then $49 each month after for 35 more months. It will probably cost somewhere around $6000 over the course of the lease which is around $166/mo of actual cost.

E: Plus anything he doesn't qualify for like the lease conquest rebate.

Pretty much hit it on the nose, except there is a rebate of $2,500 from the state of California for getting an electric car. They are saying it's $0 down since the $2,500 down payment would be coming back to you after the car has been registered and you completed the paperwork for the rebate.

Powershift posted:

You can buy a used one with 20k miles for 6 grand.

how terrible are they?

After my last test drive, I came to the conclusion that it's not half bad. It does all the things a small city car needs to do (transport 1 or 2 adults around, maybe some small luggage) without using gas. In comparison to a regular 500 I drove back to back, it seems quieter and smoother (might be due to the extra weight of the batteries). The ergonomics leave a bit to be desired, but then again with only a 80 mile range you probably won't be sitting in this thing for more than 30 minutes at a time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ciaphas posted:

Same thought but in Ohio. My DD is a Fiesta ST and my gas is paid for by my company, I have absolutely no need for another small hatchback, but $4-6 grand to have an EV for three years is interesting.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If I didn't already have two fiat 500s and two plug in hybrids I would be all over the 500e. It's quick, and arguably the best looking 500.

Thooooouugh there is the issue that my wife takes our two kids to daycare on her way to work, and I pick them up on the way home. As someone who has indeed put two car seats in the back of a fiat 500, I can attest that it is not pleasant for anyone involved. My 500 is a convertible, and the easiest way to get my infant in the car is to lower him into his seat through the open roof.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

No major reveals, but interesting to get someone's personal take and a very interesting observation from about 19:30 regarding the eyes' focal distance. When you look straight ahead, then glance in the mirror, your eyes don't have to change focus - even though the mirror is just a few inches from your face. They eyes stay focused at infinity (which I think is 20 feet or so) due to the magic of optics. However, if you are looking at a rear view video screen ten inches from your face, your eyes have to come down all the way from infinity to a very close focus, then back to infinity to watch the road. Since a mirror check like that only lasts a fraction of a second, it will be very irritating on long drives. I've been annoyed by this in other contexts, having to glance around a big room frequently while paying attention to a laptop screen, and I can safely say I will not buy a car which has only video screen rear view instead of glass mirrors.

It’s not like other car marker haven’t solved this problem: bury the display in the dash and use optics to put it in focus at some suitably large distance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

eyebeem posted:

My 500 is a convertible, and the easiest way to get my infant in the car is to lower him into his seat through the open roof.

The mental image of this killed me.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

eyebeem posted:

If I didn't already have two fiat 500s and two plug in hybrids I would be all over the 500e. It's quick, and arguably the best looking 500.

Thooooouugh there is the issue that my wife takes our two kids to daycare on her way to work, and I pick them up on the way home. As someone who has indeed put two car seats in the back of a fiat 500, I can attest that it is not pleasant for anyone involved. My 500 is a convertible, and the easiest way to get my infant in the car is to lower him into his seat through the open roof.

Thankfully I only got one kid in a carseat so in a pinch I think we can toss him in the back seat with a car seat, but I can totally see coming from the back area being easier to get the kid in the seat.

You're probably the best person for two questions about the fiat 500 I didn't get to test: 1. can you fit the bugaboo stroller in the back, and 2. can you fit a road bike in the car with the seats down?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kimcicle posted:

Thankfully I only got one kid in a carseat so in a pinch I think we can toss him in the back seat with a car seat, but I can totally see coming from the back area being easier to get the kid in the seat.

You're probably the best person for two questions about the fiat 500 I didn't get to test: 1. can you fit the bugaboo stroller in the back, and 2. can you fit a road bike in the car with the seats down?

Bugaboo? Come on, man. We have a Stokke Xplory.

Also... also... a Bugaboo Donkey.

And no, neither of them fit in the 500s.

As for road bikes? Only in my wife's hatchback 500. Assuming you aren't asking for humor purposes only, I'll say that I believe the 500e has a smaller trunk area than the regular 500, and a 56cm road bike barely fits in the 500 as it is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ciaphas posted:

Everyone not in CA/OR is playing the used market, unfortunately.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

eyebeem posted:

Assuming you aren't asking for humor purposes only

Nope, I was serious. Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm seeing stupid good E-Golf deals in NorCal though, that for the same price as the Fiat 500e I could have a 2016 E-Golf. I know the ranges are very similar, but I think the E-Golf would be a gazillion times easier to live with.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kimcicle posted:

Nope, I was serious. Thanks for the helpful replies.

I'm seeing stupid good E-Golf deals in NorCal though, that for the same price as the Fiat 500e I could have a 2016 E-Golf. I know the ranges are very similar, but I think the E-Golf would be a gazillion times easier to live with.

As a Fiat fanboy and apologist that really likes the 500e, you'd be stupid to buy a 500e over an E-Golf if pricing is anywhere near similar.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, the E-Golf is a really nice car with DC fast charging, adjustable regen that enables one pedal driving (up to a certain level) and optional adaptive cruise control. It can charge from the same stations as the Bolt, which might get a lot more stations built for it in the coming years.

On the other hand, VW is probably not far from announcing a new model with more range, maybe that's why they're so cheap.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

eyebeem posted:

As a Fiat fanboy and apologist that really likes the 500e, you'd be stupid to buy a 500e over an E-Golf if pricing is anywhere near similar.

Not to mention that the Fiat 500 will probably be noisy as hell compared to the E-Golf.

Edit: According to something called "Auto Decibel Database" the current leaf is louder than my current small loud ICE car. If that's true, that's terrifying.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 21, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit: According to something called "Auto Decibel Database" the current leaf is louder than my current small loud ICE car. If that's true, that's terrifying.

How could that possibly be?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Subjunctive posted:

How could that possibly be?

lovely sound dampening combined with thin metal and loud Eco-tyres sounds plausible. I forgot to mention that it's at 60-70mph.
Even the Model S(that has decent dB-values) well has (for some reason) lots of threads on various forums about sound dampening it. Maybe the lack of engine sound makes the road noise more apparent, or maybe the sound dampening doesn't live up to the price tag. No idea, never been in one.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

MrOnBicycle posted:

lovely sound dampening combined with thin metal and loud Eco-tyres sounds plausible. I forgot to mention that it's at 60-70mph.
Even the Model S(that has decent dB-values) well has (for some reason) lots of threads on various forums about sound dampening it. Maybe the lack of engine sound makes the road noise more apparent, or maybe the sound dampening doesn't live up to the price tag. No idea, never been in one.

I'm sure in a quest to squeeze out as many miles of range as possible the brands are building their EV's at light as possible and sound deadening material can be fairly heavy. The model S isn't bad for an average car when it comes to road noise but its awful compared to other $100k + sedans.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kill me now posted:

I'm sure in a quest to squeeze out as many miles of range as possible the brands are building their EV's at light as possible and X can be fairly heavy. The model S isn't bad for an average car when it comes to Y but its awful compared to other $100k + sedans.

The Model S story.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kill me now posted:

I'm sure in a quest to squeeze out as many miles of range as possible the brands are building their EV's at light as possible and sound deadening material can be fairly heavy. The model S isn't bad for an average car when it comes to road noise but its awful compared to other $100k + sedans.

Yep, and to be honest it's not worth the range. I've come to realize that having a quiet car is probably one of the most important features I'd want. At least when it's a car that's intended to be a cruiser / GT car. Having a "noisy" car is fine for town driving since it's never especially loud at town speeds. But boy is it draining when driving for more than 30 minutes at 60-70mph. As a comparison, I drove for 6-7h straight (well one quick stop for diesel) in a Volvo V70 and didn't feel tired at all. I drive for 40 minutes in my current car and I feel shattered. All because of the noise. I tolerate it because the car was cheap and I drive in the city 90% of the time.
Hopefully it'll quiet down a bit when it's time to buy summer tyres.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kill me now posted:

The RWD first gens are pretty noisy, due to as you say, little sound deadening material used and also the frunk acting as a resonance chamber. The newest gen with the big HEPA filter up front plus more deadening material is a lot better. Glass roof doesn't help, particularly in tunnels, but that's true for most cars I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kill me now posted:

Yeah, there's a fair bit of noise at 75, but I've never been in a $100K ICE car at speed so I can't compare.

All that focus on weight and a huge glass roof...

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Electric cars are nice standing still in that you get the "holy poo poo it's quiet" effect that you also get with start-stop equipped regular cars, but road noise is the main thing I notice above maybe 30 mph unless you are flooring it.

If you come to phoenix you can enjoy the rubberized asphalt though!

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

hifi posted:

Electric cars are nice standing still in that you get the "holy poo poo it's quiet" effect that you also get with start-stop equipped regular cars, but road noise is the main thing I notice above maybe 30 mph unless you are flooring it.

If you come to phoenix you can enjoy the rubberized asphalt though!

The Soul EV is just as quiet as the regular gas Soul when it comes to tire and wind noise. Not that the Soul is paragon of silence but its decent in its class and when you subtract the engine noise its pleasant enough.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My Cmax Energi is nice and quiet in ev mode, and has the loudest, most intrusively unnapealing engine noise as soon as the ICE kicks in. 75mph on the highway is unpleasantly loud. Hooray for Atkinson cycle.

And I own a loving Abarth 500.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
On coarse seal road surfaces I can't hear the petrol engine in my car at all, it's easily drowned out by tyre noise.

This is pretty typical, it's only on really low geared cars like my mum's Suzuki Swift that engine becomes at all noticeable.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
The worst thing about winter is the engine kicks on a lot more even when charged because batteries hate cold, so my car vibrates till I reach speed, it's really noticeable in my fusion plug in

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

eyebeem posted:

My 500 is a convertible, and the easiest way to get my infant in the car is to lower him into his seat through the open roof.
What if it's raining?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

What if it's raining?

Put child in car, put car in $1200 stroller.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Collateral Damage posted:

What if it's raining?

Probably wouldn't be one of the days I drive the convertible.

I live in southern California and I still only drive it a few days per month.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression that model s is pretty quiet even at speed because of all the batteries insulating from road noise, is it actually pretty loud?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

I was under the impression that model s is pretty quiet even at speed because of all the batteries insulating from road noise, is it actually pretty loud?

It's quiet compared to just about every other car I've driven at speed, keeping in mind it's also the only $100k car I've driven for more than a couple minutes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stefan Prodan posted:

It's really wind noise more than road noise, I think.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

And more wind noise coming from the owner than coming from the air.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Powershift posted:

And more wind noise coming from the owner than coming from the air.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Subjunctive posted:

Depends on the road surface and tyres in use.

• Locked thread