Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I was reminded that I never posted the rest of of my DWSS package!

This was on the box. Candy! :toot:

That's a lot of candy.

Chocolate and chewy things!

Really British candy.

I also got a dalek and Davros!

You can't fool me, this isn't candy. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It might be candy. I think you're supposed to chug it as fast as you can for the pure sugar rush.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Totes candy. Rhyno has it right.

Or... spread lightly on buttered toast. A little goes a long way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Or ladel it onto toast. Put some into cheap minced beef to add flavour. In fact put some in to expensive minced beef, gently caress it. Gargle with it. Eat all the marmite.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Why aren't those jelly babies in a crumpled wax paper bag? :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Because they don't travel well like that! <:mad:>

Also, it's taken me a few weeks, but I finally realised who Ben Mendelson (Krennic in Rogue One) reminded me of.. Michael Jayston! There's something very deliberate in the voice he puts on for Krennic, and it's so very Jayston.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Also, it's taken me a few weeks, but I finally realised who Ben Mendelson (Krennic in Rogue One) reminded me of.. Michael Jayston! There's something very deliberate in the voice he puts on for Krennic, and it's so very Jayston.

I can hear it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Tom Baker! :toot:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Remember roughly a year ago Tom made one of his usual black humor comments about dying and everybody got worried he was gonna die? Well ol' Tom soldiers on :hellyeah:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Remember roughly a year ago Tom made one of his usual black humor comments about dying and everybody got worried he was gonna die? Well ol' Tom soldiers on :hellyeah:

Wasn't that a plug for that "Baker's End" audio play he's doing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jivjov posted:

Wasn't that a plug for that "Baker's End" audio play he's doing?

Probably, at the time though people were going,"Oh no maybe Tom had bad news from his doctor or something!?! :ohdear:"

I mean, yes he's very old but the guy has been cracking jokes about his own death for years (maybe decades) and I would not be at all surprised if he is still around 5-10 years from now.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Listening to "Jubilee" this morning was either the perfectly right decision or a very wrong decision, and four hours later I'm still not sure which it was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 2 of the 4th Doctor Adventures is on sale today at Big Finish to celebrate Tom's birthday. I've still only listened to the first season where each individual story was okay but the overall season itself was really drat good. I can only assume it got better as they went along and Tom got back into the swing of things.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Listening to "Jubilee" this morning was either the perfectly right decision or a very wrong decision, and four hours later I'm still not sure which it was.

That's a drat good story, it also doesn't rely solely on the (excellent) lone Dalek captive but does a pretty drat good job of worldbuilding and character interaction. Plus, you know it's got Colin Baker in it so it's already gonna be a great listen to for him alone.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Jerusalem posted:

Season 2 of the 4th Doctor Adventures is on sale today at Big Finish to celebrate Tom's birthday. I've still only listened to the first season where each individual story was okay but the overall season itself was really drat good. I can only assume it got better as they went along and Tom got back into the swing of things.

That's a drat good story, it also doesn't rely solely on the (excellent) lone Dalek captive but does a pretty drat good job of worldbuilding and character interaction. Plus, you know it's got Colin Baker in it so it's already gonna be a great listen to for him alone.

Oh, I know it's a good story--this was the second time I've heard it.

The story hit me a lot harder this time, though, and maybe I should have stuck to something a bit more lighthearted for today of all days.

But there's still time to put on "City of Death" and have a drink for Tom today :cheers:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If you're looking for a something a little more light-hearted, I can really recommend The Kingmaker. It's far from a perfect story, but it builds to a fantastic late cliffhanger and the final episode is batshit insane in the best way. As an added bonus, it's sorta kinda got a Tom cameo in it!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Kingmaker can be hit or miss depending on how Nev Fountain's humor lands with you, I personally thought it felt like bargain-bin Douglas Adams

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It also has one of my pet peeves with Big Finish, which is just the casual passage of time for non-Doctor major characters - Peri and Erimem spend like 2 years living in the past (well, for Erimem it's a wild and fantastic future, I guess) before the Doctor finds them again.

But the cliffhanger/final episode just hit so perfectly for me it forgives a lot, I love how ridiculous it all gets.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
From the spinoff series, I've found Clickbait: The Book:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

Well, yeah, unless I'm missing your point, that's kind of what the book's about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I own that. I got bought it for my birthday, and considering how eh I am about the series, doubt I'll ever read it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Evil alien clickbait is pretty much the epitome of the kind of story I'd expect from Class.

Did the show do well enough to get another series, by the way?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Goongrats on being modded, Jerusalem! Is it safe for me to come back to PSP now?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Goongrats on being modded, Jerusalem! Is it safe for me to come back to PSP now?

Like Tom Baker at the pub, all are welcome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooooh, what did you do?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

Ooooh, what did you do?

I'm a fan of a wrestling promotion that people are, at best, apathetic about and, at worst, apprehensive to.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm a fan of a wrestling promotion that people are, at best, apathetic about and, at worst, apprehensive to.

That's like all of them

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Ah, Jerusalem. Welcome back. I've...we've been waiting for you.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

all-Rush mixtape posted:

What Culture Pro Wrestling?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

TinTower posted:

Wow, I'm surprised they even bothered to commission a tie-in novel, given how little of a gently caress the BBC seems to give about the series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maelstache posted:

Wow, I'm surprised they even bothered to commission a tie-in novel, given how little of a gently caress the BBC seems to give about the series.

Dude, there were like 5 of them the last time I was in a bookstore.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I see Jerusalem is modding up the place. I don't like it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Gaz-L posted:

Evil alien clickbait is pretty much the epitome of the kind of story I'd expect from Class.

Did the show do well enough to get another series, by the way?

All signs point to no - it ultimately had dismal online ratings and the TV ratings are very disappointing (albeit for a 10:30pm showing).

Plus you've got cast members saying to sign 'Renew Class' petitions, which is never a good sign...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I see Jerusalem is modding up the place. I don't like it.

I assure you, everything is going swimmingly.

http://i.imgur.com/scbZOtB.gifv

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I assure you, everything is going swimmingly.

http://i.imgur.com/scbZOtB.gifv

my drrrreeeeeeaaaaams of... con-QUEST

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Doctory birthdays...Happy Birthday John Hurt! Everyone go buy the War Doctor audios, and preorder the 4th set coming out next month.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Gaz-L posted:

Dude, there were like 5 of them the last time I was in a bookstore.

Yeah. Went in to Waterstones get A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (space lesbians :allears:), found it in the little tie-in novel bit of the sci-fi section.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grrr ... Got the Power of the Daleks DVD, and the spine doesn't match the rest of the releases.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Grrr ... Got the Power of the Daleks DVD, and the spine doesn't match the rest of the releases.

Isn't it reversible?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

Isn't it reversible?

That's what I thought? I ordered it a few days ago so I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not the US release. At least the DVD version. Don't know about the Blu-Ray.

Differences are:

Dalek instead of the Troughton picture at the top.
The McGann logo is white instead of blue, and is stacked instead of in a single line
The graphic of the title is the same on the spine as it is on the cover.

• Locked thread