Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Did there use to be durability? Also stat points that increase your ki regenration speed? I remember maxing the stamina stat during the first demo to attack more offen.

Oriental Hugs fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what stat should i stack in this demo? i feel like i always stack heart and don't get much results out of it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much should I be increasing Strength and/or Skill for the purpose of equipping armor? I've noticed even medium armor seems to have Strength requirements to unlock its abilities sometimes.

Or maybe a better question is: if I want to be a spear guy, do I want medium or light armor? I haven't noticed a ton of difference in my movement between the two, but I also don't think I've gone quite low enough in equipment weight to hit the lowest tier.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 21, 2017

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I think I somehow beelined straight for the boss by mistake. Suddenly the level was over and I feel like I barely explored at all.

Oh well I'd rather just wait for release anyway since I know I like it anyhow.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'm going to give it more time but... I'm not really digging the default control scheme. The Souls-like control scheme (Type B, I think?) is pretty awkward also. I'll keep playing throughout the weekend though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oriental Hugs posted:

Did there use to be durability? Also stat points that increase your ki regenration speed? I remember maxing the stamina stat during the first demo to attack more offen.

Yes there used to be durability, we were just making a big deal about how they removed it based on player feedback. Durability is a largely vestigial stat in Souls and I'm glad they've done away with it. It adds virtually nothing.

Constellation I posted:

I'm going to give it more time but... I'm not really digging the default control scheme. The Souls-like control scheme (Type B, I think?) is pretty awkward also. I'll keep playing throughout the weekend though.

I feel you. I've adapted pretty well, but I really wish I could just remap the keys to whatever I want.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 21, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

got up to the ogress. might need to sleep on it before beating her. love the level. the blob in the water that chucks swords at william is 10/10

is ogress weak to an element? she spits fire so i assume water is the way to go for buffs?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 21, 2017

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Beat twilight ogress on my third try. There's a funny surprise awaiting you in twilight!

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
For people asking about stats I beat the game twilight ogress at level 27 with 26 body, 10 stamina, and 5 everything else with spear. But do whatever you want.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
kodama are a lot easier to find, at least in this new stage
there's skills that cant be learned until you learn other mystery skills
you seem to get less amrita for turning in items

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress, have you guys looked at the new crafting system?

Soul Matching, specifically, is gonna be really dope.

Edite: and oh hey, they fixed ranged aiming again.

Snak fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 21, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does armor defense matter much in Nioh, or is it closer to Bloodborne/DS3 in light armor + dodging being better than anything armor could actually do for you? I don't have time tonight but tomorrow I guess I can test for myself how much difference medium vs. light armor makes for mobility, but what about for damage reduction?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Snak posted:

Holy gently caress, have you guys looked at the new crafting system?

Soul Matching, specifically, is gonna be really dope.

Edite: and oh hey, they fixed ranged aiming again.

Soul matching was in the last Beta.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
With the inheritance traits? I guess I missed that.

I swear they change it every time: how do I acticate living weapon? I'm using the obviously best control scheme D.

Edit: it's circle+triangle

Snak fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 21, 2017

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What do you need to do in the last chance demo to get bonus stuff for the full game?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
used the Kusarigama through the whole demo stage, beat Muneshige with it, and I'm about halfway through the twilight stage.

Verdict? I don't like it. Also ninjitsu builds kinda suck now that half the progression is hidden from me, so now I have no idea what I need to put points in to get the stuff I actually want.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Belzac posted:

For people asking about stats I beat the game twilight ogress at level 27 with 26 body, 10 stamina, and 5 everything else with spear. But do whatever you want.

Oh poo poo, I was trying to whittle her down at level 14. I guess I'll make a couple of souls runs and try again tomorrow.

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel you. I've adapted pretty well, but I really wish I could just remap the keys to whatever I want.

Yeah, I've adapted too. The more I've played it, the less I think a Dark Souls control scheme would work with this game. The stance changes, active stamina reload and other moveset stuff would be kind of awkward with the button combinations you'd have to do. I guess with those mechanics in the game, this control scheme is somewhat optimal.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are the slimes based on any particular Japanese monster?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The book of reincarnation is a full respec but the price goes from 10k to 30k if you want to buy a second one

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 21, 2017

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Woo, this game does not gently caress around. I started out with a spear but switched out to being a ninja cause why not and holy poo poo the sickle and chain is fun. Fast, long range and cool as all hell. Only issue I have with the game is that I keep getting killed when I try to switch to souls controls, its just engraved in my brain to hit left trigger to parry and that rarely works out in this game. I'll get used to it eventually, definitely picking this up the second it becomes fully released.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

CharlestonJew posted:

used the Kusarigama through the whole demo stage, beat Muneshige with it, and I'm about halfway through the twilight stage.

Verdict? I don't like it. Also ninjitsu builds kinda suck now that half the progression is hidden from me, so now I have no idea what I need to put points in to get the stuff I actually want.

How in the unholy gently caress did you beat Muneshige? He's giving me more grief than Nameless King in DS3

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

Does armor defense matter much in Nioh, or is it closer to Bloodborne/DS3 in light armor + dodging being better than anything armor could actually do for you? I don't have time tonight but tomorrow I guess I can test for myself how much difference medium vs. light armor makes for mobility, but what about for damage reduction?

Armor makes a huge difference. You get very tanky (which can be further improved with magic buffs/weapon shouts) but attacks also cost a huge amount of Ki. You can actually see the difference very well when you fight spectres. A spectre that's armored to the hilt is going to take a lot of finishers, while a near-naked spectre will die after very few hits.

Life-on-Kill and Life-on-Amrita (and in a pinch, life-on-getting-hit) synergize incredibly well with heavy armor builds too.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Pretty much got the twilight boss down perfectly, you can hug her except for the jump (dodge when she is the highest). Co-op helping now

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Could anyone help me out with Ogre? I want that sweet mask and I am pretty terrible at this game! I set up a secret word of "VIDYA" and I am chilling at the shrine in the Temple.

EDIT: Nevermind, beat it finally.

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 21, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

Armor makes a huge difference. You get very tanky (which can be further improved with magic buffs/weapon shouts) but attacks also cost a huge amount of Ki. You can actually see the difference very well when you fight spectres. A spectre that's armored to the hilt is going to take a lot of finishers, while a near-naked spectre will die after very few hits.

Life-on-Kill and Life-on-Amrita (and in a pinch, life-on-getting-hit) synergize incredibly well with heavy armor builds too.

What about the difference between medium and light armor? I'm assuming medium isn't going to make me mega-tanky ever because it also still lets me move pretty quickly. I don't think I want to go full tank with this spear guy I'm playing but I can't decide between leveling Strength some for the heavier medium armors or leveling Skill for light armors.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Anyone here unable to access "Mark of the Conquerer" after beating the Ogre? It let me download Mark of the Strong just fine.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

On a scale from Diablo 2 to Darksiders 2 how much does the randomized loot ruin this game?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

On a scale from Diablo 2 to Darksiders 2 how much does the randomized loot ruin this game?

Where on that scale does "not game-changing, seems relatively innocuous" fall? Right in the middle?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The randomized loot was Darksiders 2's saving grace. It was the poo poo quests and complete lack of puzzles that killed that game. Yes I'm still salty.

The loot in Nioh is way less egregious now that they removed durability. Now it's sort of like playing a Dark Souls game but imagine that when a Balder Side Sword drops there's a chance the stats will be different and it'll have passive effects.

e: it's also extremely easy in Nioh to dispose of loot you don't want and you actually get worthwhile poo poo for it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, offering unwanted gear to the shrines is actually pretty nice because you get amrita (EXP) and random consumable items for it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

Anyone here unable to access "Mark of the Conquerer" after beating the Ogre? It let me download Mark of the Strong just fine.

I can't access it either which sucks because I beat the twilight version too.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Fat_Cow posted:

I've beaten all three demos let me get my stupid loving hat :negative:

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Chaining pulse quickdraws, even without the instant sheath on pulse skill, feels soooo good. Love throwing a quickdraw into my combos.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Harrow posted:

What about the difference between medium and light armor? I'm assuming medium isn't going to make me mega-tanky ever because it also still lets me move pretty quickly. I don't think I want to go full tank with this spear guy I'm playing but I can't decide between leveling Strength some for the heavier medium armors or leveling Skill for light armors.

I think it depends on how optimal you want to me. If you want to truly min-max you'll grab whichever armor type happens to be tied to the stat that buffs your primary weapon. Which I think is dual sword-light armor, spear-medium armor and axe-heavy armor. With single sword being technically tied into everything but heavy?

If you don't care about min maxing I'd probably pick depending on what you prefer doing: Dodging or Blocking/Parrying. The ki cost increases make walking in an out of range (stamina free) and timed blocking (very cheap) more worthwhile than the extremely expensive dodging in heavy armor. Although low stance dodging is fairly cheap even with heavy armor. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect Axe+Heavy armor is a lot more useful than last playable, because now you can get the ki-cost reducing shout and you also don't eat a giant damage penalty just for wearing armor.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 21, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a way to unleash your guardian spirit to go attack enemies? I can't believe I forgot how to llay the game entirely...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snak posted:

Isn't there a way to unleash your guardian spirit to go attack enemies? I can't believe I forgot how to llay the game entirely...

press the buttons you used to call it out again

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

There's also Moment Talismans and the equivalent magic skill (which got bumped up to incredibly high cost because there's basic elemental shot spells), they also call out guardian spirit, which different attack patterns depending on the spirit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I feel like I need some kind of little Ni-Oh play guide to get the most out of this because I see everyone talking about ki pulses and stance switches and whatnot and here I am just kind of fumbling around with a katana in middle stance and acting like its Dark Souls.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Policenaut posted:

I feel like I need some kind of little Ni-Oh play guide to get the most out of this because I see everyone talking about ki pulses and stance switches and whatnot and here I am just kind of fumbling around with a katana in middle stance and acting like its Dark Souls.

Play the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, I just wanna beat it using R1 spam like I did in all the Souls games