Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So does Muneshige have attacks where he just becomes invulnerable while charging them? Because gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What's the reward for beating Twilight Ogress? I'm sure there is some sort of downloadable attached to it.

It was supposed to be the earlier Alpha/Beta marks, but it looks like they're giving that out for beating the main campaign now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

So does Muneshige have attacks where he just becomes invulnerable while charging them? Because gently caress that

Yes.

If hr had about 2/3 of the health he does, I would call it a really good fight. But the fact that he 2-shots me and I can throw a debuff in him, buff my weapon, and grapple him a half dozen times and it only gets him down to half is loving retarded.

This game is gonnna be really grindy. It's much more stat-gated than a souls game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Yes.

If hr had about 2/3 of the health he does, I would call it a really good fight. But the fact that he 2-shots me and I can throw a debuff in him, buff my weapon, and grapple him a half dozen times and it only gets him down to half is loving retarded.

This game is gonnna be really grindy. It's much more stat-gated than a souls game.

I beat Muneshige at level 9. He's just hard.

EDIT: Also there's no guarantee where these missions are in relation to one another. He could be after like 10 areas or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I beat Muneshige at level 9. He's just hard.

EDIT: Also there's no guarantee where these missions are in relation to one another. He could be after like 10 areas or something.

Well yeah, but I think it's boring if it's just a really repedetive fight where you barely chip away at their health. That's not any fun.

Edit: and blocking is completely useless against him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jesus gently caress, finally beat him. Had 53 Life left and no elixirs and just went at it.

Spears really sucked for me against him. I ended up respeccing to a very high-Heart built and using a katana and did way, way better. He needs less health and maybe get rid of those "invulnerable while charging" attacks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Policenaut posted:

I feel like I need some kind of little Ni-Oh play guide to get the most out of this because I see everyone talking about ki pulses and stance switches and whatnot and here I am just kind of fumbling around with a katana in middle stance and acting like its Dark Souls.

Read the OP maybe :argh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Jesus gently caress, finally beat him. Had 53 Life left and no elixirs and just went at it.

Spears really sucked for me against him. I ended up respeccing to a very high-Heart built and using a katana and did way, way better. He needs less health and maybe get rid of those "invulnerable while charging" attacks.

I think the chargeuos can br interupted by rangrd things, ljke talismans and probably shuriken. My debuffs seemed to interrupt him, which is cool. But again, I only get the 2 of each.

gently caress the new magic system. It's like they read what I liked about it and took it out.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 21, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also for new players you should be practicing perfect ki-pulse since it gets rid of the negative color pools yokai leave that reduce your stamina regen by 90% (that's not mentioned in the OP)

For stuff being locked William was at expert level or something in the previous two demos and now he's just at basic level

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it means you can't do a magic build. Which is fuckin lame.

I guess I will just make a new character.

Edit: like "oh, the boss dodged one of my talismans, i guess I lose"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I think the chargeuos can br interupted by rangrd things, ljke talismans and probably shuriken. My debuffs seemed to interrupt him, which is cool. But again, I only get the 2 of each.

gently caress the new magic system. It's like they read what I liked about it and took it out.

What did they change about the magic system that made it worse? I didn't use it much in previous demos.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Snak posted:

Well yeah, but I think it's boring if it's just a really repedetive fight where you barely chip away at their health. That's not any fun.

Edit: and blocking is completely useless against him.

git gud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRnYeWb-Ko

In all seriousness, he is an incredibly fair fight. If you're doing barely any damage to him then you're not fighting him properly. Pretty much all of his attacks leave his back super vulnerable where you can get off a full light combo which does even more damage than normal since it is a back attack. His iai moves take out a good chunk of his ki, and his crazy spam dash takes out nearly all of it. If you go offensive right after he does those, and use high ki damaging movies (e.g. the kick moves that are available for pretty much all of the weapon types) you'll easily break his guard, get in a few hits, and do a critical. If you're using the regular or dual-katanas you can do even more damage by doing the iai move right after you exhaust his ki. It'll come out just quick enough to hit him while he's exhausted, knocking him down, and letting you still finish with a critical strike (that's one of the techniques the guy does in the above video).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

What did they change about the magic system that made it worse? I didn't use it much in previous demos.

I'm not sure they actually changed it, you're just limited from leveling up certain skills now, so you can't just beeline for a ton of magic items.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

You used to be able to stack each tier of talisman. But now there is only one tier. So you can only carry two of each talisman. So you can't loadout for a particular strategy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh that sucks, getting a stack of talismans every time you died or rested was loving great in the last beta.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i imagine in the full game you probably unlock more talismans somehow, considering how many skills have additional requirements we can't do on them

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wow twilight is quite the step up from the normal map. That first fight gets me quite a bit, usually with the fire ticks. Also those two yokai at the top and bottom plateau are gonna take a bit for me to figure out. Mostly the top one in that regard.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wish I could just get rid if my lovely guarduan spirit. I just died because it was blocking my view.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Harrow posted:

Muneshige is the problem I'm having. The Ogress was fine. This guy is the closest I think I've come to calling bullshit on a game in a long time. I'm serious when I say that I feel like the stupid Cainhurst crow guy in the Cathedral in Bloodborne feels like more of a fair fight than this.

You can backdodge everything except his sheath attack, in which case you front dodge through it and get your hits in.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why he can initiate attacks while his ki bar is flashing red.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How do the Sacred Brush items or whatever work? Do they restore uses of magic talismans?

Snak posted:

I don't understand why he can initiate attacks while his ki bar is flashing red.

And also dodge while it's flashing red. Normally you want to rush in and get a critical on him when that happens but he just keeps dancing away with 0 ki.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you guys should do lobby coop, it's really fun. both players can interact with the world and pick up items and stuff and you can revive one another when you go down and it scales the difficulty up. it's the Yokai Realm with a Companion option in the torii gate. we should decide on a password so we can get matched together easily, like we did with bloodborne.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the problem is thaf this is ljke literally the fourth samurai I've fought this demo. Yokai do no prepare you at all for how this works.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Will character progress in the demo carry over to the main release?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lakbay posted:

Also for new players you should be practicing perfect ki-pulse since it gets rid of the negative color pools yokai leave that reduce your stamina regen by 90% (that's not mentioned in the OP)

Good point, added it. I had a whole bunch of verbose nonsense from the first two betas in there that wasn't really applicable anymore so I edited it out the other day for clarity, but I need to add a bit more in so feel free to suggest anything else not-clear about the game for new players and I'll add them to the OP.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Will character progress in the demo carry over to the main release?

Almost assuredly no, its just if you get the bonus unlocks those will pop up.

Especially since stuff will be rebalanced, they'll clear out our character progress. But you almost want to start fresh with a game like this, eh?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Zaphod42 posted:

Good point, added it. I had a whole bunch of verbose nonsense from the first two betas in there that wasn't really applicable anymore so I edited it out the other day for clarity, but I need to add a bit more in so feel free to suggest anything else not-clear about the game for new players and I'll add them to the OP.

Almost assuredly no, its just if you get the bonus unlocks those will pop up.

Especially since stuff will be rebalanced, they'll clear out our character progress. But you almost want to start fresh with a game like this, eh?

The true nioh starts here

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i beat the ogress. on one attempt i had a helper give me a rabbit guardian when my doggo was at my grave. that's loving cool

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And now that the videos have uploaded, some random bits.

Fight against the first Tengu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIEzO7kdEn4

The Ogress Fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVGK-kU42Cg

Parrying Muneshige (this would probably work better as a gif but I'm lazy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaZVreFtIkM

Muneshige fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyDYCVZhp9c

I glitched a Tengu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqNSjTBv-Xk

This guy again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhFEyswtq80

And the Twilight Ogress which... ends up being exactly like the first fight for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpb6W96Eo5s

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

you guys should do lobby coop, it's really fun. both players can interact with the world and pick up items and stuff and you can revive one another when you go down and it scales the difficulty up. it's the Yokai Realm with a Companion option in the torii gate. we should decide on a password so we can get matched together easily, like we did with bloodborne.

There's also an assist gauge where if a player dies it goes down and if it gets completely empty you fail the mission. You can restore it at shrines and it makes for really tense moments (also makes sure that one player isn't carrying the other one too hard)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whew, beat the Ogress. Realized that switching to High Stance attacks with the sword made more sense, plus finally got lucky in avoiding the 2 times Ogress used the combo slash rush. For some reason PSN won't let me download the mark of the conqueror though---only mark of the strong.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

This game feels hard and I feel like I'm super lovely at it. It's like that first stumbling around on controls when playing Demons Souls and it's getting my rear end kicked.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

So there's an item called the Book of Resurrection, which is a free respec for your character. Amrita, skill points, the works. You just can't use it mid mission.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kusarigama are really growing on me. So many fun potentials, I love how fast you can spam the low stance square combo whirlwind of death.

Also man, looking through all the samurai skills, there's a TON of options. I really love the mix of Ninja Gaiden style unlockable skills, (which you can bind to your own choice of inputs!) along with otherwise souls-like combat.

Oh, and unlocking the skills that give you bonus ki for stance swap unlocks them on all weapons at the same time, so that's not bad really.

I really love that they included little demo videos of each skill so you can get a better idea of what it does. The descriptions really aren't sufficient.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

So there's an item called the Book of Resurrection, which is a free respec for your character. Amrita, skill points, the works. You just can't use it mid mission.

lets hang out posted:

Euro demo has started.

You mean this? Its 10k, and then becomes 30k for the next. Or is there another book?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean this? Its 10k, and then becomes 30k for the next. Or is there another book?

You can get one in the Twilight stage where the key was in the regular stage. So even if they eventually cost a bunch in the shop you can probably find enough in stages, too.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
To folks who played the earlier demos and aren't sure if they got the conqueror mark, check your Sony media history

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Anyone know the specifics for the ki pulse on dodge skill? What I've noticed is that the timing is a little different. For the R1 ki pulse, you do it as soon after the grey stamina bar finishes the regen, the dodge ki pulse seems to only work only during the grey stamina regen. The stamina recovered looks to be a little less too. I'll play around with it some more but taking a break for now.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Really wish you could rebind the controls however you want

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes, but Control Scheme D is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Constellation I posted:

Anyone know the specifics for the ki pulse on dodge skill? What I've noticed is that the timing is a little different. For the R1 ki pulse, you do it as soon after the grey stamina bar finishes the regen, the dodge ki pulse seems to only work only during the grey stamina regen. The stamina recovered looks to be a little less too. I'll play around with it some more but taking a break for now.

It's the exact same. Dodge when the blue lights around you flash. Stop looking at the bars.