Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

Can I just catch a small break and chill the gently caress out? Found out a few months ago my wife was indeed pregnant. Last month we found out her blood sugar was way out of whack. We corrected some dietary issues and things were looking good. Thursday, she went in for a checkup and was immediately sent to a larger regional hospital. She's 33 weeks in and they baby is ready to come out. So for the last two days, she's been pumped full of steroids and not much has changed. We'll know more tomorrow, but I've got the worst feeling she won't be coming home for some time.

I hope everything works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Given that no one in their right mind is going to want to be a moderator given the poo poo going down, I'd say we should as a group approach FactsAreUseless and get a rotating mod pool of long time posters who are willing with 14" as Idiot God (Immorten King?)

14" would act as the willing doxx shield and the rotating pool would mean no one is a long time target or burned out. Plus... I really am rather curious as to what 14" would be like as a moderator. Said it elsewhre, if I got the short straw I'd ONLY do it if 14" also got a star.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
14" for mod, Make AI shiny and chrome again!

Sorry Spyder, can't imagine how scary that is. Sorry for your loss Rhyno, your friends aren't even funny anymore, just tragic. Thanks IOC for the good modding

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kiwi Farms was closed after the site owner was dox'd and his mother was fired

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 21, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Kiwi Farms was closed after the site owner was dox'd and his mother was fired from her job

Whoops. There's a word for that isn't there?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

seriously it needs to be kastein or cursedshitbox or meatpimp or Motronic

comedy option randomly switch between 14" and TT

I leave for two week, just TWO WEEKS and look what you fuckers have done.

My vote is for 14".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

Poetic justice?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806750

Maybe I'll become an internet hermit

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, for people who thought I was full-on autistic when I was younger, my parents sure do seem to be the ones having trouble with boundaries and tact.

A normal person: "Hey Enourmo, someone gave me a total gym but I've already got one. You've talked about wanting to get in shape, you want it? No? Alright, cool, I'll ask someone else, see ya."

My dad: "Hey Enourmo, someone gave me a total gym but I've already got one. You want it? No? Alright, I'll ask your sister, I guess. I really think you should consider it, though; I know you don't like being fat (have I mentioned you're fat lately?) and I think the thing you need is exercise equipment, that's the only thing holding you back, right? I'm really concerned about your weight, you shouldn't be so big, you're almost 30 and that's when the health problems start hitting. I realize you have a bike, since I gave it to you, but wouldn't it be convenient to have another thing to store somewhere while barely using it? what's depression i don't understand, just decide to be happy and motivated and you will be!"

Like holy gently caress, I'm aware I'm fat, I look in the mirror every day, why do they feel the need to remind me and confront me about it as if it's some intervention and I'm not aware of it? Christ.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Given that no one in their right mind is going to want to be a moderator given the poo poo going down, I'd say we should as a group approach FactsAreUseless and get a rotating mod pool of long time posters who are willing with 14" as Idiot God (Immorten King?)

14" would act as the willing doxx shield and the rotating pool would mean no one is a long time target or burned out. Plus... I really am rather curious as to what 14" would be like as a moderator. Said it elsewhre, if I got the short straw I'd ONLY do it if 14" also got a star.

This seems like a reasonable thing to do. :gifttank: I'm in if I qualify. :gifttank:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kiwi Farms was closed after the site owner was dox'd and his mother was fired

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait one sec need to breathe....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I feel sorry for his mother but sure as gently caress not Null

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I leave for two week, just TWO WEEKS and look what you fuckers have done.

My vote is for 14".

noooo shiiiir. You and ken are fit for the job.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait one sec need to breathe....

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I feel sorry for his mother but sure as gently caress not Null

He apparently quoted his mother using strong transphobic hate speech on a radio station and poof :rip:

Read the GBS thread it is quite enlightening

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 21, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

I love that the same site that was all 'come and have a go, Lowtax, or we doxx your mods' got wrecked by one dude quoting their webhost's mom.

This is the kind of Internet I remember.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 21, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's probably fake. Stop giving them the attention and validation they desire.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CharlesM posted:

It's probably fake. Stop giving them the attention and validation they desire.

It's not fake, it's been verified by several people that were known enemies and helped or w/e

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have no idea what or who you're all talking about. As long as someone passes the new forum address on to the Facebook group I'm good.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
All of the buproprion is out of my system and now I can once again drink a half bottle of gin before feeling legitimately drunk again. It's a very weird change and going out may have gotten much more expensive, but at least I shouldn't have to worry about seizures anymore

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The F22/23 (not talking about the F used in the S2000, completely different engine) is just tuned more for low end power (... for a Honda) and economy more than anything else. I guess it had reasonable power for what it was - 2.3L with 150 hp/152 tq isn't terrible for a 90s engine - but the Accord, as you point out, was a pretty big car. The 2.2L in the Saturn I drive now has pretty similar power ratings, in a much lighter car, but the gearing is so much taller in the Saturn that it feels about as sluggish as the Accord did. City mileage in my Saturn is a lot better, but the Accord did better on the highway.

My 01 Accord LX would always nail 33-35 MPG on road trips, and the 98-02 was the largest car they put the F in. I managed to drive to Austin, stay almost a week (with lots of driving around), and drive back to Dallas, on a single tank - over 500 miles total on that tank, and whacked 35 MPG on the head... with the ac on and cruise set at 80-85 both ways. It probably would have been more like 36-37 if I had filled up at both ends and only counted highway miles. It was gutless, boring as hell, and literally beige, but reliable. I'm amazed at the mileage it got, especially since at 80 it was a bit over 4000 RPM if memory serves correctly.

Mine was the F23A1, which was the VTEC engine used in 98-02 Accords that weren't base models (anything above the DX and VP trim that didn't have a V6 got it - DX and VP got the non-VTEC version). It was the most boring car I've ever owned, even with the manual transmission, but it was generally hassle free. The only thing I ever did while I owned it was tires, oil changes, and a timing belt. It would randomly stall when I would clutch-in to downshift, but I never got around to trying to figure that out.

The F23A1 will probably come close to your power goal in stock trim, but I believe they added a passive immobilizer in 98 (and the F23 came out for the 98 model year), so you'd need to send the ECU off to have the immobilizer disabled. The H22 used in the last gen Prelude, on the other hand, didn't get an immobilizer until the second year of that generation, so the H22 would probably be a better candidate if you can track down a 1997 Prelude ECU and an engine from any 97+ Prelude. It also puts down a hell of a lot more power - 180-220 hp depending on year, I believe all 5th gen Prelude H22s put down 220 hp at the crank.

You could also go with the OBD1 ECU, which IIRC, will be easier to tune, and doesn't have a post-cat O2 sensor. They used the H22 VTEC as early as the 92 model year (but only on VTEC models, whereas all 97+ Preludes had VTEC). I don't think much really changed on Honda engines when they went from OBD1 to OBD2 - I know on the D series, they added an intake air temp sensor and a knock sensor for 96+, with all other sensors remaining the same. There's plenty of OBD2 <-> OBD1 conversions out there too, but it's been a really long time since I played Honda Legos. I have NO clue what tuning options are out there these days, last time I looked into HondaLegos, Hondata was the big name. Honda 4 cylinders of that era relied on MAP instead of MAF though, so the ECU can adapt pretty easily to pretty much anything that doesn't require adjusting VTEC crossover, larger injectors, or boost.

e: also, the only stock B series that'll give you the WHP you're looking for is a B18C1 (94-01 Integra GSR, 170hp/128tq @ crank) or B18C5 (195hp/130tq, hard to find as in the US, it was only sold in the Type R). B18C1 or H22 would be my personal choices, just depends on how much you want to wind it out. You're going to lose quite a bit through the transmission, as you know.
e2: it uses a transverse/transaxle setup, right?

I wish I could grab an F22C, but for that price, I'd be better off with a K engine that's roughly the same size and mates to a usable 6 speed. The car I'd like to toss it in is a 65whp roadster that's barely 2100lbs. It's currently got the stock, fuel injected, 1.5L transverse iron block, SOHC that it shares with the 128 sedan in it. Even the much larger Honda engine should end up being a bit of weight shaved off when it's all said and done.

I'm not aiming for it to hit 135whp on stock engines, I'm just aiming to hit that number as cheaply as possible. I don't mind peeling the ULEV sticker off an F22b1, throwing in a new cam, stiffer valve springs, bigger injectors, new bearings, and getting a cheap programmable ECU to actually use the power that the engine really should have. Save for actually tuning the new setup, that whole thing will still cost about the same as a good condition H22 and significantly less than a good B18C, or any K series.
I was really excited about finding such a cheap solution to my challenge, but taking another look at the numbers, those second gear ratios really do look kinda lovely on all of the H/F transmissions. It's similar gearing to what's in my Civic DX, which isn't a super attractive driving experience. However, the other 4 gears in F18/F20 transmissions look as close to my Fiat's stock ratios as I can get in a SOHC engine, so I still like them as candidates, even with that blemish. Bonus points to the JDM Preludes and Euro Accords for having a helical LSD option

E: I've viewed most of the OBDII deleters much the same way I view those who are proud of deleting the brake booster, but OBDI actually makes tuning easier? Wouldn't you want as much data as you can reasonably gather?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 21, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

I love that the same site that was all 'come and have a go, Lowtax, or we doxx your mods' got wrecked by one dude quoting their webhost's mom.

This is the kind of Internet I remember.

The best part is that thread where he tries to excuse their doxxing as all in good fun.

gently caress that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm not aiming for it to hit 135whp on stock engines, I'm just aiming to hit that number as cheaply as possible.
How about a front cut from a Ford Focus? The 2.0 Zetec will make that number out the box and isn't overly heavy, about 250lbs or so I believe. Well supported with parts and durable.

CommieGIR posted:

The best part is that thread where he tries to excuse their doxxing as all in good fun.

gently caress that.
No, you see, because it's just like what Wikileaks does and

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's odd...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

That's odd...

Trump is an unoriginal hack, who respects nobodies rights but his own. News at 11.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Obama's is leaning towards the left, Trump's is leaning towards the right. It's a subtle political statement.

No it's not, it's more low-rent Trump fuckery. Get used to it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo forums drama is the stupidest thing I've ever read. What is it, 1996?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So does anyone here like Papa John's pizza and want a bunch of them for very close to nothing? Well have I got the program for you!

So Papa John's is running a promo for a free large 1 topping pizza if you use Visa Checkout. I am not sure when this promotion ends.

Here is how it works. You go and order whatever pizza you want from them, and pay via Visa Checkout, and they send you in an email, a promo code for a free large 1 topping pizza.

Here is why you can make this give you very cheap pizza. You can use other promo codes both when getting this one, and when using it, stacking the promotion.

Step 1 - Get online and find a 40% or 50% off promo code (or whatever special code you want to use).

Step 2 - Place your order using the 50% off promo code and check out using Visa Checkout.

Step 3 - An email will arrive within 24 hours with a promo code for a free large 1 topping pizza.

Here is where it gets good and cheap.

Step 4 - Get online and use your promo code for a free pizza. Now, modify that pizza order to make the cost at least $4. This can be as simple as upsizing to Extra large, or adding a few toppings.

Step 5 - Check out using Visa Checkout.

Step 6 - Get an email with a promo code for a free large 1 topping pizza.

Repeat until you explode from eating too many $4 pizza's I suppose.

You can use this on delivery or carryout, but I don't think the delivery charge counts towards the $4 minimum to get another promo code.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

That's is a very goid system, but I see one very critical flaw in your plan:

You have to order, and presumibly eat, a pizza from Papa Johns :barf:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

ExplodingSims posted:

I dunno, after I saw how Pizza Hut makes their pizzas, I prefer PJ's to PH.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'm watching various v8 powered cars go screaming down the track. The gods should be pleased by their sacrifice.

Watching a cts-v run 190 mph, c6 vette do 200, lambo do 212/213/214/ and a viper do 223 in a half mile is insane. Top speed racing owns, go watch an event near you!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ExplodingSims posted:

No idea how it is in your part of the country, but here locally I have the choices of:
Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Little Ceasar's.

I like Pizza Hut but the local store is complete poo poo with terrible service and they can never get an order right to save their lives, and they somehow manage to make Pizza Hut pizza terrible compared to where I used to live. Domino's and Little Ceasar's are both poo poo, which leaves Papa John's. I get a pizza maybe once every 3 months, so I won't be abusing this, although I will try to remember to claim my free pizza sometime in the next 30 days (the code in the email is only valid for 30 days).

Just thought I'd pass it along for anyone who does like their pizza and want's to get it on the cheap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Papa Johns is awful.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

All of the buproprion is out of my system and now I can once again drink a half bottle of gin before feeling legitimately drunk again. It's a very weird change and going out may have gotten much more expensive, but at least I shouldn't have to worry about seizures anymore

I wish I could grab an F22C, but for that price, I'd be better off with a K engine that's roughly the same size and mates to a usable 6 speed. The car I'd like to toss it in is a 65whp roadster that's barely 2100lbs. It's currently got the stock, fuel injected, 1.5L transverse iron block, SOHC that it shares with the 128 sedan in it. Even the much larger Honda engine should end up being a bit of weight shaved off when it's all said and done.

I'm not aiming for it to hit 135whp on stock engines, I'm just aiming to hit that number as cheaply as possible. I don't mind peeling the ULEV sticker off an F22b1, throwing in a new cam, stiffer valve springs, bigger injectors, new bearings, and getting a cheap programmable ECU to actually use the power that the engine really should have. Save for actually tuning the new setup, that whole thing will still cost about the same as a good condition H22 and significantly less than a good B18C, or any K series.
I was really excited about finding such a cheap solution to my challenge, but taking another look at the numbers, those second gear ratios really do look kinda lovely on all of the H/F transmissions. It's similar gearing to what's in my Civic DX, which isn't a super attractive driving experience. However, the other 4 gears in F18/F20 transmissions look as close to my Fiat's stock ratios as I can get in a SOHC engine, so I still like them as candidates, even with that blemish. Bonus points to the JDM Preludes and Euro Accords for having a helical LSD option

E: I've viewed most of the OBDII deleters much the same way I view those who are proud of deleting the brake booster, but OBDI actually makes tuning easier? Wouldn't you want as much data as you can reasonably gather?

I have a spare f22b2 motor that needs a head rebuild that could be yours for cheap. And your in Chicago and I am by ohare in case you are interested.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSims posted:

Papa Johns Spicy Pulled Pork BBQ pizza is awesome and I will legit fight you to the death with nerf guns over this. But they don't have it on the menu anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Adiabatic posted:

all i know is alanis morisette is god

But only in Dogma.

the spyder posted:

Can I just catch a small break and chill the gently caress out? Found out a few months ago my wife was indeed pregnant. Last month we found out her blood sugar was way out of whack. We corrected some dietary issues and things were looking good. Thursday, she went in for a checkup and was immediately sent to a larger regional hospital. She's 33 weeks in and they baby is ready to come out. So for the last two days, she's been pumped full of steroids and not much has changed. We'll know more tomorrow, but I've got the worst feeling she won't be coming home for some time.

Oh, gently caress. Hope everything turns out OK, man.

He apparently quoted his mother using strong transphobic hate speech on a radio station and poof :rip:

Read the GBS thread it is quite enlightening

Nope. Not going out there. Don't care, unless it leaks into AI.

The Locator posted:

So does anyone here like Papa John's pizza and want a bunch of them for very close to nothing? Well have I got the program for you!

Gonna try this. Pj's isn't the best, but cheap pizza id cheap pizza.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

PJ Pizza is hardly gourmet, but in the world of fast food pizza it's far from the worst.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slidebite posted:

PJ Pizza is hardly gourmet, but in the world of fast food pizza it's far from the worst.

Papa Murphy's on the otherhand is pretty rockin.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a friend who manages a Little Ceasars and offers free pizza any night I want it at the end of their business day.

Took him up on that offer once.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Quick question. I saw a first-generation Toyota Celica today (liftback body.) Wikipedia tells me the first generation was coded A20/A30 - I guess that refers to the two body styles, but it doesn't say which was which.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I have been hoodwinked into being driven by the woman who gave me panic attacks every time I got in a car with her. I'm going to kill my girlfriend...

InitialDave posted:

How about a front cut from a Ford Focus? The 2.0 Zetec will make that number out the box and isn't overly heavy, about 250lbs or so I believe. Well supported with parts and durable.

No, you see, because it's just like what Wikileaks does and

I'm not super keen on duratechs after dealing with fragile plastic cooling components that would make BMW blush, but if I see a cheap SVT motor around, I would be excited to snap up that aggressive 6 speed. Same goes for a Suzuki G13BB and the Celica ZZ engine that I can never remember the name of. The G13BB breaks the low end rule, but it's a 1.3L that competes with engines almost double the displacement, which I find extremely amusing. And the low end can be fixed by liberal application of boost later, if need be

I've never driven a car without at least one OD gear before and the 2.0 Zetec/sigma duratech apparently only goes to 1:1 in 6th. Cool!

clam ache posted:

I have a spare f22b2 motor that needs a head rebuild that could be yours for cheap. And your in Chicago and I am by ohare in case you are interested.

What do you mean by head rebuild, because that sounds like quite the offer...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

But only in Dogma.
Clerks 2, er, too.

The Door Frame posted:

I'm not super keen on duratechs after dealing with fragile plastic cooling components that would make BMW blush, but if I see a cheap SVT motor around, I would be excited to snap up that aggressive 6 speed. Same goes for a Suzuki G13BB and the Celica ZZ engine that I can never remember the name of. The G13BB breaks the low end rule, but it's a 1.3L that competes with engines almost double the displacement, which I find extremely amusing. And the low end can be fixed by liberal application of boost later, if need be

I've never driven a car without at least one OD gear before and the 2.0 Zetec/sigma duratech apparently only goes to 1:1 in 6th. Cool!
If that's the ST gearbox we got, it's a three-shaft design like VAG used in some cars (Getrag I believe), so you have to be careful of people conflating the gear ratios, as in effect half of them have a different final drive ratio. Yes, sixth is itself an almost direct drive, but it's direct drive into a 2.9 final drive, not a 4.2 FD like the identical-ratio fourth gear is. It's "really" something like a 0.75:1 ratio in that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Actually, that thread is why I've got it. We were going to use my mate's car for a journey, and then it got bummed to death by a Transit.

I recall somewhere reading that forgetting to tell the insurance company something (such a a mod) will not affect a claim unless that mod had (or potentially had) an effect on the incident.

e.g. telling them the car is red not blue will not prevent a payout for your being rear-ended by a tranny (phrasing)

However respraying your car with invisibility paint could prevent a payout

• Locked thread