Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
BIG NEWS

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/822574822261714945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Have the Yankees exercised Cano's option yet?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Berzerker posted:

market for beefy sluggers really was nowhere near what people were expecting, eh?

Well, not only was it a pretty historically terrible free agent market -- once Encarnacion, Turner, Chapman and Cespedes were off the market, it was mostly scraps -- but I imagine there was a fair amount of uncertainty in the early goings due to the CBA negotiations and no one knowing what sort of free agency changes were coming. Beyond that, I'd think teams are waiting to aim the money cannon at guys like Arrieta, Darvish, Frazier, Moustakas, Cueto, Santana, etc.

In Trumbo's case, I'm amazed Dan Duquette didn't get fooled into negotiating against himself like he did with Davis last year.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Have the Yankees exercised Cano's option yet?

Yeah, Swisher too I think

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

New Concept Hole posted:

As the shock of the bullpen self-destructing fades and the evidence that Bochy won't utilize Williamson properly mounts, the Giants are probably regretting this fact more and more.

I'm guessing the Tigers stumble out of the gate and sell like crazy during the season, you can pick up your JD Martinez rental then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm guessing the Tigers stumble out of the gate and sell like crazy during the season, you can pick up your JD Martinez rental then.

I'm already preemptively angry about the Royals being 10 games out of the wild card behind however many other teams at the deadline and refusing to trade Eric Hosmer for whatever is available because they're still 'in it.'

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
In case anyone else cares: OOTP 18 is announced.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0199/

quote:

New Challenge Game Mode and Online User Profiles

Ready for an extra challenge? Experience a new game mode in OOTP 18: Challenge! This mode can be enabled in newly created leagues (standard / historical / fictional) and adds a unique twist, along with new rewards, while playing OOTP. Certain areas of the game are tightly controlled to prevent cheating and the game flow is optimized and more streamlined. Several new types of achievements and statistics are tracked in a new (optional) OOTP online user profile. Are you the best OOTP manager on the planet? Compare your skills to other OOTP gamers and find out how you stack up!

Improved 3D Mode & Game Highlight Reels

With even more ballpark detail than before, the 3D game mode in OOTP has taken another leap forward. More advanced player models and improved on-field movements let you view the action like never before. On top of that, you can optionally save all the 3D action highlights to rewatch the game or catch the highlight reel, no matter if those games were played out or simulated.

Tournaments & Fall Leagues

OOTP 18 now features custom and real world tournaments. Watch the best prospects play in the Arizona Fall League, or set up your own tournament pitting the best of each nation facing off against each other! Set up your own national or international tournaments, choose from different tournament modes, and manage your favorite nation to international glory.

Negro Leagues Added to Historical Minor Leagues

With the help of Seamheads.com, our historical database experts have been able to add most Negro leagues seasons to the historical minor league feature of Out of the Park Baseball 18, including accurate rosters and player statistics. In addition, we have added the Federal League as an unaffiliated minor league in the years 1914 and 1915.

Improved AI

A lot of work has gone into improving the AI throughout the game, resulting in the most challenging gameplay ever. The roster AI, trade AI, and in-game AI have been optimized and enhanced to reflect the latest tendencies (for example, the usage of closers in high-leverage games by certain managers).

Redesigned Injury System

The injury system in OOTP 18 has been reworked to be more realistic and interesting. A detailed injury history is tracked for players, the injury database has been enhanced, there are now nagging little long-term injuries, injuries to different body types have different long-term effects, injuries in historical leagues are more realistic, and much more.

Much More!

Every year we add many smaller features, and OOTP 18 is no exception. It includes:

The ability to retain player salaries in trades

New options for team promotions and relegations between leagues

Many 2017 CBA rule changes are incorporated in modern MLB games

Improved player morale / team chemistry system

Improved player creation & development system

Improved game recaps

Enhanced play-by-play text and league news

Beautiful new interface with three different skins

Much faster import speed of historical minor league seasons

...and more to be announced prior to release

Love this game and looking forward to this!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Both OOTP 18 and The Show 17' look fantastic and I will probably end up buying both of them.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Quote posted:

(for example, the usage of closers in high-leverage games by certain managers).

drat. Savaged by a sim game.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

For anyone who reads this thread and hasn't tried OOTP in any form yet, please do it.

It's my fallback baseball and I love it so.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Are the mobile versions of ootp any good?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
OOTP owns and I'm not at all ashamed to say I've wasted countless hours on what is essentially a spiffed-up spreadsheet

Like I honestly don't even buy the console baseball games anymore because they just don't scratch the itch the way I need it scratched

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Milwaukee, where good pitching goes to die, or old washed up pitchers end up. Either or.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves appear to be signing Kurt Suzuki to an incentive-heavy one-year deal.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iospace posted:

Milwaukee, where good pitching goes to die, or old washed up pitchers end up. Either or.

Holding pattern status: confirmed. At least we have the packers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Holding pattern status: confirmed. At least we have the packers.

Yup, at least we have that, thank the gods

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The Packers can have all the good seasons they want if it means the Brewers are never good again ever

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

The Packers can have all the good seasons they want if it means the Brewers are never good again ever

And yet they'll still inexplicably win the season series with the Cubs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

The Packers are the St. Louis Cardinals of football and I hate them as such. I just feel sorry for the Brewers, mostly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sydin posted:

And yet they'll still inexplicably win the season series with the Cubs.

I found it hilarious that we ruined the winning of the division by a day and made them win it via another team losing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

iospace posted:

I found it hilarious that we ruined the winning of the division by a day and made them win it via another team losing

it would have been funnier if the cubs lost the next day and had to celebrate after that, but then they got the miggy walkoff and basically pretended that that clinched the division

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Packers are the St. Louis Cardinals of football and I hate them as such. I just feel sorry for the Brewers, mostly.

As a Cardinals/Bears fan I can confirm this. My hatred and jealousy of the Packers is eerily similar to how my dad talks about the Cardinals. Well, until recently.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I like to think Packers fans are at least a little less racist than Cardinals fans but yeah I've pretty much had to accept that we are the Cards of football.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

elentar posted:

Braves appear to be signing Kurt Suzuki to an incentive-heavy one-year deal.

So that's what 4 catchers? The Braves must be stacking up to trade somebody. Probably Tyler Flowers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I highly recommend clicking this tweet to see the replies

https://twitter.com/NotMrTibbs/status/822899449047359488

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

IcePhoenix posted:

Nice.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

BasicFunk posted:

So that's what 4 catchers? The Braves must be stacking up to trade somebody. Probably Tyler Flowers.

Sounds like Recker is more likely, but I'm sure they'll move any of them.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Recker's probably their best bet to get something back, they can point to his OPS last season and say "we fixed him!" while hoping no-one bothers to look at his BABIP.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

I'm up for this.

September Sundays are great when both the Packers and Cubs win.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Brewers have a billion prospects at least. Interested to see how having a ton of B/C prospects works versus the top heavy elite group they had when they used to be good.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

BasicFunk posted:

A guy I know made a small proline bet and was in line to actually win a decent chunk of money (I think he picked 10 games or whatever the max is ) but Tyler flowers screwed it all up by hitting a game tying homer in the 9th and then a game winner in the 10th. We were gonna get him a Tyler flowers jersey for Christmas

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BasicFunk posted:

They want to flip Braun but nobody will take him because he's a raging rear end in a top hat he's old and has a bad contract.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

A guy I know made a small proline bet and was in line to actually win a decent chunk of money (I think he picked 10 games or whatever the max is ) but Tyler flowers screwed it all up by hitting a game tying homer in the 9th and then a game winner in the 10th. We were gonna get him a Tyler flowers jersey for Christmas

Minimum 3, maximum 6. I've never won a ticket trying to parle more then 4 games. And I don't play at all anymore because the odds are bad and You Can't Predict Baseball. (or hockey)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

IcePhoenix posted:

Can I get some context here?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Can I get some context here?

69, dude

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

ScottyJSno posted:

In case anyone else cares: OOTP 18 is announced.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0199/

Love this game and looking forward to this!

I'm not buying any more OOTPs until they fix poo poo that's been broken for a while like being able to sign players to stupid cheap extensions during the off-season, being able to change a pitcher to a fielder and sign him to a cheaper extension, and, among other things, their prospect rankings have been hosed up since OOTP 17 was released and they keep saying they're fixed but they're not.

:argh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

there's a thread for OOTP (and other, lesser, baseball sims) in the armchair QB that could definitely use some more posting too guys :shobon:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ithrow88/status/822991740667711489

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Goddamn Dan Haren owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Dan Haren is amazing. His effectively wild doubly so because he 100% understands his own splits and owns them.

• Locked thread