Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

You get diminishing returns was my point, stuff like catapulting yourself to space in BotW has been possible for a while and it's not like the difference in power between a PS4 and a Switch is letting you do incredible physics based gameplay that wouldn't otherwise be possible

It lets more pebbles roll down a hill a little better or the main character have a longer scarf but :|

Or it lets Battlefield 1 have massive 64 player battles and look amazing (not photorealistic, but visually awesome) while walls and buildings break apart and the terrain craters so the map looks completely different by the end of the round.

Added horsepower allows games to load on the fly so everything is seamless, or support giant boss battles that rely on a lot physics and inverse kinematics for their animations to look fluid and believable. When things interact with the environment in believable ways it's more immersive. Breath of the Wild is already churning out grass that blows with the wind, a huge seamless overworld that you can see for miles, dynamic fire that interacts with said wind, physics that allow you to catapult Link into the stratosphere, ragdoll effects on everything and I believe there's clothing and hair physics as well. Oh and all of the dynamic lighting effects that the game currently has.

Breath of the Wild doesn't aim to be realistic, but it aims to build a believable world and all of this added poo poo is because of where technology is now. You're out of your mind if you think we've hit "diminishing returns" in computing power. Pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Much as I'm fine with trading power for portability you're nuts if you think there is ever enough transistors for video games. You can always use more for something that's not just bigger textures.

Which is why I have a proper :pcgaming: desktop so gimme something I can play silly poo poo on my TV than take with me on trips thank you.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I personally think it's unacceptable they didn't throw an unreleased 1080ti into the Switch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i think i'm gonna cancel my order of an extra usbc charger.

i don't think i will be using the switch on tv that much that i couldn't just make do with just the dock's cord

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/tomphillipsEG/status/822880456781811712

God drat this game sounds insane

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Id rather have 12 unique mini dungeons than 120 same ones but ill give them the benefit of the doubt for now that they dont suck

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

This is perfect for gaming on the go.
Now you don't have to dedicate a few hours per dungeon.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LethalGeek posted:

Much as I'm fine with trading power for portability you're nuts if you think there is ever enough transistors for video games. You can always use more for something that's not just bigger textures.

Which is why I have a proper :pcgaming: desktop so gimme something I can play silly poo poo on my TV than take with me on trips thank you.

It's great because the performance gap from Desktop to Laptop (for gaming anyway) is getting so small I did away with my desktop for a laptop that fits the bill and still allows me to take it places. Technology owns.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

great more ubisoft collectible checklist gameing

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's great because the performance gap from Desktop to Laptop (for gaming anyway) is getting so small I did away with my desktop for a laptop that fits the bill and still allows me to take it places. Technology owns.

I guess but then actually controlling things on the go means a gamepad or TouchPad garbage or gotta still find a place to setup and Meh. Have 0 desire to lug anything bigger than a tablet around ever again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ran into a friend today who was hyped about the Switch, surprisingly because the last Nintendo thing he owned was a Wii which he didnt even like, the only game he had on it was Rock Band 3 and Wii bowling.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is Todd Howard developing botw

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LethalGeek posted:

I guess but then actually controlling things on the go means a gamepad or TouchPad garbage or gotta still find a place to setup and Meh. Have 0 desire to lug anything bigger than a tablet around ever again.

I have a small mouse with me and usually a desk or table top to set my laptop down on so it's of no issue, my laptop is only 4 lbs and has a 14 inch screen so it's tiny in every way but I paid a premium and my storage options are expensive as all loving hell.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

bowmore posted:

I think you mean Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 in glorious HD

I think the best you can hope for is shinobin in smash 5

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

Ran into a friend today who was hyped about the Switch, surprisingly because the last Nintendo thing he owned was a Wii which he didnt even like, the only game he had on it was Rock Band 3 and Wii bowling.

I know a guy who justplays COD on xbone. And he preordered a switch for mobile gaming.

I don't think it will be a wii hit. But its going to strike a public chord. Especially if commercials are just about the portability and not waggleability. Which based on the British first commercial seems like they are going for.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Id rather have 12 unique mini dungeons than 120 same ones but ill give them the benefit of the doubt for now that they dont suck

There might be some proper dungeons guised as giant boss monsters in the 4 corners of the map

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
There had best be dungeons proper. And good ones, too, like Ancient Cistern, the best dungeon.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah I guess Miyamoto has at some point heavily implied the titans are dungeons says the internet

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

'im having skyrim flashbacks with those drat dwarven dungeons

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Why are there people in the world who look at the new Zelda game and go "It's like Skyrim!" I've seen the comparison multiple times now and it's like the dumbest thing I can think of.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Stan Taylor posted:

Why are there people in the world who look at the new Zelda game and go "It's like Skyrim!" I've seen the comparison multiple times now and it's like the dumbest thing I can think of.

I cant wait to find the assassins guild and beat the thieves guild and mage guild all on the same character. And of course ignore that main quest entirley.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

'im having skyrim flashbacks with those drat dwarven dungeons

This is Nintendo though. 120 is a number they are very fond of putting in a game and very rarely have the 120 challenges they've put in something been repetitive.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

is korok seed puzzle another word for 'make a ladder from a seed and water'

Spellman
May 31, 2011

zolthorg posted:

is korok seed puzzle another word for 'make a ladder from a seed and water'

Korok's really don't have a lot going for them

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Stan Taylor posted:

They are Party Pooperz.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
In the E3 demo there were hidden Korok about. Don't know if that's a "puzzle". Interested to hear more.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Having played and routinely crushed JoBlow's The Wetness and every ios and android puzzle game I can confirm that even if you have a good puzzle concept, if you have 900 of something it's going to be awful 300 of the way through and outright boring busywork after 600

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
the solution to 890 korok seed puzzles is to turn the game on

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

s.i.r.e. posted:

You're out of your mind if you think we've hit "diminishing returns" in computing power. Pretty dumb.

Especially with 4k coming (any day now). Also VR and other high refresh rate displays.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

technically pushing a button is a puzzle.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're really pushing my buttons.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Or it lets Battlefield 1 have massive 64 player battles and look amazing (not photorealistic, but visually awesome) while walls and buildings break apart and the terrain craters so the map looks completely different by the end of the round.

Added horsepower allows games to load on the fly so everything is seamless, or support giant boss battles that rely on a lot physics and inverse kinematics for their animations to look fluid and believable. When things interact with the environment in believable ways it's more immersive. Breath of the Wild is already churning out grass that blows with the wind, a huge seamless overworld that you can see for miles, dynamic fire that interacts with said wind, physics that allow you to catapult Link into the stratosphere, ragdoll effects on everything and I believe there's clothing and hair physics as well. Oh and all of the dynamic lighting effects that the game currently has.

Breath of the Wild doesn't aim to be realistic, but it aims to build a believable world and all of this added poo poo is because of where technology is now. You're out of your mind if you think we've hit "diminishing returns" in computing power. Pretty dumb.

Bad Company 2 had destructible buildings and stuff, in 2010 on a 360. Looking better is nice but doesn't fundamentally make the game more fun.

There are very, very few things in the category of "we want to do this fun gameplay thing but the hardware isn't good enough yet."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
How many of the puzzles can you solve with 1/2 A press?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DalaranJ posted:

How many of the puzzles can you solve with 1/2 A press?

There's no such thing as half an A press.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Looks like someone isn't a true Nintendo fan

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Policenaut posted:

perhaps you jest or are not familiar with the accepted scholarly definition of an A press that is held but not released.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Policenaut posted:

I also didn't think there were alternate universes in mario 64 and yet here we are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm watching this bomberman treehouse video. This doesn't look fun. I don't have any nostalgia for bomberman as I never played it when I was younger. it looks like it's just the old gameplay. The game is very ugly and the enemies act like really bad NES enemies.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm watching this bomberman treehouse video. This doesn't look fun. I don't have any nostalgia for bomberman as I never played it when I was younger. it looks like it's just the old gameplay. The game is very ugly and the enemies act like really bad NES enemies.

It was only the first five stages or so but yeah Its more like a remake to Super Bomberman 2 since the Five Dastardly Bombers are from 2 and 2 had the same upper and lower platform gimmick

bowmore posted:

I think you mean Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 in glorious HD

Hell yes, make it happemn Atlus or Racdym or whoever

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lemming posted:

Bad Company 2 had destructible buildings and stuff, in 2010 on a 360. Looking better is nice but doesn't fundamentally make the game more fun.

There are very, very few things in the category of "we want to do this fun gameplay thing but the hardware isn't good enough yet."

with 24 players because it couldn't do 64

• Locked thread