Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A hilarious bug ridden wreckfest seems like the most accurate portrayal of online racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
F1 2016 is down to $15 already

https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/391040

This is a steal right? Dirt rally is also $15 on there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea F1 2016 is legit fun.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Harminoff posted:

F1 2016 is down to $15 already

https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/391040

This is a steal right? Dirt rally is also $15 on there.

F1 2016 is pretty good. The career mode is really engaging. Taking a low tier car and eventually smashing the loving Mercs is a really good feeling. I'm currently 5th in my championship driving the Renault. Doing full length quali and races.

Dirt is REALLY loving good. The monthly challenges are one of my favorite things in a racing title.

Codemasters been on a good roll after the wet fart F1 2015 was.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm hoping they expand the career stuff for 2017, having a character creator for podium stuff and media stuff like in the EA Sports games would be cool. More than anything though I want GP2+3 in those games for a properly full career mode.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Was this a pricing error or something? The link now just redirects to the homepage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It was probably a sale. I know the Dirt Rally thing was a sale.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Bummer, I didn't even grab it yet, was posting from work. Weird that it was only on sale for a few hours, pricing error maybe?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My guess is that they probably only have a few keys at the sale price, so once they sell out it goes back to normal.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

More than anything though I want GP2+3 in those games for a properly full career mode.

Now THAT is a good idea. If they've already done all the tracks and written all the code for the driving model, just slow em down and put on different bodywork on em and that's GP2. Write some stuff around how your performance in the lower categories influences the offer you get in F1. Underperform in F1 and you can find yourself without a drive next year and have to drive another GP2 drive to get your reputation back up.

That all sounds great.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Looks like STCC 3 is all but confirmed for R3E. If they're doing 2 Swedish tracks they're probably doing at least 4 current STCC tracks.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Looks like STCC 3 is all but confirmed for R3E. If they're doing 2 Swedish tracks they're probably doing at least 4 current STCC tracks.

Awesome. I've been playing a bit of it again. I already dig current track selection.

Only having Brands Hatch indy course blows tho.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

rF2 January dev update. Some nice stuff in there like DX11 previews which look like they're going for the same saturated colour look as AMS. Reworked shadows, smoother textures in general, nicer skies, overall looking pretty nice. Single player championships are coming and they're also talking about 'competition dynamics' and career progression, which makes it sound like they're working on a career mode which would be hella sweet.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Took apart my TH8A shifter today and switched on a 3d printed 6 speed gate. I might get a 5 speed one made up too, was only $10 for this one from some dude on 3d hubs. Also while it was apart I tried to stiffen it up with some rubber bands and holy hell are the wires tiny for the sequential/H shift switching sensor. Ripped them right off the board and had to use my teeth to strip the wire (smaller than 22 gauge, lowest I had on my wire strippers) to solder them back on. Luckily it still works. Aaaaaaaaaand I didn't do enough to stiffen it so I might take it apart again later...

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 21, 2017

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Kunos has been been bought by Digital Bros (who also own 505 Games). The studio and its heads stay the same apparently, but maybe now that they have to report to other people they might actually finish the drat thing? One can hope.

Haven't used my wheel in weeks because I have back problems :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Will the guy still be allowed to berate people on Twitter and his forums?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Will the guy still be allowed to berate people on Twitter and his forums?

Is this is it a thing with sim racing devs?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Norns posted:

Between Marco, Tim Wheatley before 397 put a tight leash on him and Ian Bell it's rapidly becoming something of a thing. Also the mass freakout from people who don't remember how Netkar Pro ended over Kunos taking the buyout was loving hilarious. I don't expect Marco and Stefano to still be actively working on AC this time next year. If they're shareholders in the parent company (a parent company that does fairly good business by my understanding) now they'll have become gentleman drivers in some GT series by then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Norns posted:

The guy running Project Cars was known for berating and banning people on their forums over stupid things. The guy running Assetto Corsa yelled at people wanting VR because he thought VR was stupid and no one really wanted it. That was, until Oculus sent him a Rift and he found out he liked it and quickly patched it in. He also yelled at a guy because the guy thought the tire model was off and he basically told the guy he was an idiot who didn't understand how tire models work and didn't have any idea what it takes to make an actual simulator. Then he banned the guy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd berate racing sim enthusiasts too. A whole bunch of them are broken human beings.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'd berate racing sim enthusiasts too. A whole bunch of them are broken human beings.

Yeah true. Before I muted everyone at all times in iracing...terrible people.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dirt Rally is hard. I do ok on the asphalt but I'm not used to any of these tracks and listening to driver's notes. So I'm basically Samir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FymE2Vu-7lc

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I managed to get a g27 for 100 bucks locally, and good lord this is a revelation. I feel like driving is much much harder but it's so much more satisfying. I have all of the Dirt series and Project: Cars. Are there any games that feature the new Focus RS it's my car IRL and I would like to sim drive it cool places. I think I need to invest in a wheel stand though because downshifts into second or intense force feed back move what I'm currently using. Any good recommendations there?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Not included in any sims I know of, might be in some Forza or GT game's DLC or something (since the RS is new and I don't think a major release from those has come out recently). If you're playing on PC, clamp it to your desk? Otherwise you can build a cockpit for pretty cheap if you're a little bit handy. I did something based off of this: http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/4661-isr-diy-rig-1-the-deathmobile-wood-rig/

Though with mine I just put it on casters and roll it in front of my desk and clamp the wheel to the desk. Really depends on what your setup is, though. There's pros and cons to every way of doing it.

There's plenty of other options to buy if you don't want to build, though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

So I managed to get a g27 for 100 bucks locally, and good lord this is a revelation. I feel like driving is much much harder but it's so much more satisfying. I have all of the Dirt series and Project: Cars. Are there any games that feature the new Focus RS it's my car IRL and I would like to sim drive it cool places. I think I need to invest in a wheel stand though because downshifts into second or intense force feed back move what I'm currently using. Any good recommendations there?

:drat: that's an amazing deal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I connected all my wheel stuff back to my cockpit for the same desk reason (any off track would basically shake my entire desk) and now want to get some casters so I can wheel it around more easily. Wheel stands I've heard good things said about the GT Omega stand, but jesus christ you won the lottery getting a G27 for $100.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I found these on some Sims forum. I use my Rift for racing and put on a longer board, in case I feel like throwing a monitor on there instead of moving it by my TV. I also skipped over the adjustable seat thing, as I was satisfied with where I got it already, plus it is a real car seat that can move forward/backwards for adjustments already.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KidDynamite posted:

Are there any games that feature the new Focus RS it's my car IRL and I would like to sim drive it cool places.

Forza Horizon 3 isn't really a sim but it drives decent and is the best game to just screw around with cars in. It has the current Focus RS as well as the previous two versions, plus the current STs.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Horizon 3 really works better with a controller. The FFB with a wheel on the Xbox is okay. It's a loving mess on PC tho

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Phuzun posted:

I found these on some Sims forum. I use my Rift for racing and put on a longer board, in case I feel like throwing a monitor on there instead of moving it by my TV. I also skipped over the adjustable seat thing, as I was satisfied with where I got it already, plus it is a real car seat that can move forward/backwards for adjustments already.

That's an early, less stable design - the Simul8r mk. 2 is much more rigid. That's what I used as a base plan for my rig, as the first version had issues with actually holding together in that position.

ISRTV forums have good threads, even though that means going to Darin's website.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I definitely got hooked up. Dude from a local group really wanted to fund his trip to a NASA event. I'll look into the GT Omega since apartment living limits me being able to get anything else.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Look into the Wheelstand Pro V2 Deluxe as well. It's sturdy as gently caress, despite having a single post. The single post can be an issue for some people though, but I'm fine with it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I never had an issue with the center post. Before I got it it looked like it would be an issue but it's really not.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Alright, I can finally get back into it again. My iRacing subscription lapsed, as did my already mediocre skills.

March I will start AMS again (and maybe some AC as well). For reals and no excuses. First race will be March 5th. Weekly schedule will resume.

If you have AMS give Patrick's Porsche 911 3.0l RSR 1974 a try, it's fun.

Edit:
And if you missed it, Dirt 4 is supposed to have a procedural track generator. I have my doubts, but I also think something like that is kinda necessary to make a real lasting rally game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oh poo poo Patrick actually got that car out, I didn't even see anything about that. Also AMS is 50% off right now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Double post but gently caress it. GTR 3 is coming in 2018. PC, PS4 and Xbox One, Unreal 4, full day/night cycle, proper weather system, they say in the article they're talking to companies about licencing series' so they'll most likely have Blancpain in there at least. Using Codemasters' games as a base ideal, something that can be played hardcore with a full wheel setup, but is equally playable on a gamepad. I like the sounds of this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Unreal? It's known for being really bad at vehicles.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know, Kartkraft was alright with its handling (it was everything else it struggled with) and Sector 3 are using Unreal 4 for the graphics overhaul of R3E at some point. It might be a similar deal where Unreal runs the graphics but there's a different engine running the physics like R3E is now with ISIMotor 2 running the physics and their own graphics engine.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is kartkraft a thing yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10m0Jdk8tc

Not sim related, but this video is about the Quattro, the A90, and AWD. Has some great footage.