Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is there any disadvantages of shoving seeds down one character's throat? I want to make Kiryl strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tired Moritz posted:

is there any disadvantages of shoving seeds down one character's throat? I want to make Kiryl strong.

Tsarevna, that would be most unwise! Please to be keeping your much hardly fought for seeds for to use on much better characters, yes?

(i just wanted to make a post where i talk like Kyril, don't take this as actual advice.)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Supremezero posted:

Talk to Bangerz.

Thanks, I talked to Mash and somehow forgot to talk to Bangerz.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

IIRC, the level gains are done by checking what their stats should be and giving +X approximately in that range, which seeds aren't taken into account for. In other words, seeds are best used as late as possible when most levelup gains level off anyway.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Am I misremembering or does 8 Hero's skill point gain loving suck now?

He gets 8 first level now in exchange for lowered gains for the following few levels. Basically just lets you grab zoom right away.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is gigaslash in the sword and courage skill trees the same skill?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is gigaslash in the sword and courage skill trees the same skill?

yes and if you unlock them both they combine to create Gigagash, one of the strongest moves in the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaggitz posted:

Tsarevna, that would be most unwise! Please to be keeping your much hardly fought for seeds for to use on much better characters, yes?

:golfclap:

DQ7 chat: the first several islands are quite good, and the game does eventually get interesting, but there's a really really long time where the islands are all boring assholes with short/stupid stories.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

7 also does the thing where it keeps being like "okay you get to do the thing, but first I require an item that you wont get for 30 more hours and I hope you remember I want it by then because you sure do need the thing to progress!!!"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I had fun up until I unlocked jobs. I played a little past that and just kinda petered out. The whole quest to unlock jobs was such a unfun slog it really killed what momentum managed to build up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

7 also does the thing where it keeps being like "okay you get to do the thing, but first I require an item that you wont get for 30 more hours and I hope you remember I want it by then because you sure do need the thing to progress!!!"

Melvin is just the worst, isn't he

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Looper posted:

Melvin is just the worst, isn't he

So is the magic carpet dude's maid.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm way more in love with 8's episodic storytelling just by virtue of them giving your party a reason to get involved. Maybe that'll peter out now that I've gotten a full party and there are less critical characters to interact with, but tying up Alexandria and Maella Abbey into Jessica and Angelo's story and given them motivation for joining you has made them way more engaging that i dunno man hang out at this town's volcano festival for two hours gently caress it.

Even having to go get a crystal ball for a drunk fortune teller felt totally worth my time by making it so "oh obviously if we help this fortune teller, they can predict where Dhoulmagus might be". It's really simple stuff, but it keeps way more invested than "you're bunch of scrappy kids, go figure out what happened to this town of all animals"

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

8 is just much better than 7 is. There are some people who disagree, but frankly 7 badly needed an editor to trim the game down and make the pacing something other than loving godawful.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I admire 7's attempt to just go huge. Parts of it worked.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

7 had a cool structure but it was just way way too big after a while.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly 7 is probably the worst dragon quest. I mean okay the first is shallow and 2 is janky and punishing, but both at least have the excuse of being old as gently caress. 7 should have known better. :colbert:

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

It's one of the worst but still a good game. Comparing to 8 isn't fair though since 8 is one of the best games ever made.

Also 9 is the worst one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ceramics posted:

It's one of the worst but still a good game. Comparing to 8 isn't fair though since 8 is one of the best games ever made.

Also 9 is the worst one.

9 deserves praise if for no other reason than it finally said "hey turn based RPGs can have co-op and it can be good, here's how you do it."

Or it would if anyone copied it in future games, including Square Enix. :sigh:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DQ9 being worse than 7 certainly is... an opinion!

Two quick questions about 8:

1. When comparing weapons, does the game automatically take into account attack bonuses from skills (+5 when equipped with, etc)?

2. Are skill points only used to unlock skills, or do they make you "better" with weapons for every single point you invest? In other words, should I be hoarding skill points and only spend them if I can unlock an ability?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

some guy on the bus posted:

This is exactly how you're supposed to do it. You can't afford anything good right when you start. Most think you're supposed to grind at the beginning but no.

Now that you made it this far, I recommend not buying weapons and armor until the second town. You'll be able to get the awesome poo poo now since you didn't waste your money on the weakest weapons and armor.

I can't help but feel they rebalanced the exp curve or something. Just wandering around picking up chests and retrieving the old man's sack, occasionally fighting stuff, was enough to get me to level 5 and have enough gold for a boomerang purchase which made Geyzer a breezer.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

precision posted:

DQ9 being worse than 7 certainly is... an opinion!

Two quick questions about 8:

1. When comparing weapons, does the game automatically take into account attack bonuses from skills (+5 when equipped with, etc)?

2. Are skill points only used to unlock skills, or do they make you "better" with weapons for every single point you invest? In other words, should I be hoarding skill points and only spend them if I can unlock an ability?

1. Yes.

2. Nope. New skills are the only thresholds that Skill Points have an effect.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Zaggitz posted:

But the game has an in-game hint and reminder system where it tells you what you need to do at every opportunity. Both commonly in party chat and the menu option. It's seriously easier and better to use than just looking at a walkthrough of the game.

I don't get the complaints about pacing in DQVII. Most DQ games don't have ANY pace, just a long string of episodic content with the occasional optional event or event you can do whenever, but have to before the end of the game. DQVII just has a lot more of them, and if you get bored of the game (I did at one point), you just put it down, take a break, and come back when you feel like it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

9 deserves praise if for no other reason than it finally said "hey turn based RPGs can have co-op and it can be good, here's how you do it."

Or it would if anyone copied it in future games, including Square Enix. :sigh:

Yeah, it was implemented perfectly and it's not even a footnote in the grand scheme of things. Every multiplayer RPG before and after DQ9 has just been MMO style action. It sucks.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

What do I name my monster team??

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I like the new Photo challenge stuff so far, I like how they hid those golden slimes all over the towns for you to find.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Picked up 8 today, but I have a minor questions. How far in do you recruit the new characters? I never got to play a ton of it on the PS2, but I do like the fact you got a larger roster of party members now to use.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Genocyber posted:

I can't help but feel they rebalanced the exp curve or something. Just wandering around picking up chests and retrieving the old man's sack, occasionally fighting stuff, was enough to get me to level 5 and have enough gold for a boomerang purchase which made Geyzer a breezer.

This is pretty much how you were supposed to do it on the PS2 version, so I kind of doubt it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
You found a old man's sack in the game?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I killed a unique healslime named "Doctor Feelgood" or something wacky, and he dropped a Monster Coin. The menu tells me to sell it, but I know how JRPGs love to lie. So do I sell it or not?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For once, Dragon Quest is actually being honest with you. Sell them monster coins!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rirse posted:

Picked up 8 today, but I have a minor questions. How far in do you recruit the new characters? I never got to play a ton of it on the PS2, but I do like the fact you got a larger roster of party members now to use.

Pretty early. You start with a party of two. Third party member is recruited around the second town, fourth party member sometime around the next dungeon. The fifth party member, newly added for the remake, is not quite halfway through, and the sixth, also new, is unlocked by completing a sidequest that doesn't fully unlock until (if I remember correctly) you get the boat.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thanks. Not that bad pacing then. Am I doing it right focusing on swords with Hero and Axes with Yangus? I grabbed the teleport spell for Hero first, as that will be a lot easier then always having a chimera wing on hand.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Bongo Bill posted:

Pretty early. You start with a party of two. Third party member is recruited around the second town, fourth party member sometime around the next dungeon. The fifth party member, newly added for the remake, is not quite halfway through, and the sixth, also new, is unlocked by completing a sidequest that doesn't fully unlock until (if I remember correctly) you get the boat.

Which one of these is Red?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's pros and cons to any build, but Swords & Axes are both solid choices. It's probably worth your while to dip into Humanity early on, too. Yangus' MP is dire but having another person who can cast heal will save your rear end in the early game. Also Nose For Treasure is useful.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hivac posted:

Which one of these is Red?

The fifth. I'm also not entirely sure that what I just posted is accurate, but I do know that the only one whose recruitment isn't mandatory is the sixth.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rirse posted:

Thanks. Not that bad pacing then. Am I doing it right focusing on swords with Hero and Axes with Yangus? I grabbed the teleport spell for Hero first, as that will be a lot easier then always having a chimera wing on hand.

Axes are Yangus's best weapon, without question. You might want to consider putting 42 points in fisticuffs because thin air is bonkers.

Hero's problem is he has too many kickass skills, so you really can't go wrong with him. Imo spears are better for the main game (as well as for grinding) but swords are better for the post game. Boomerang only has one useful skill, super throw at 52, but it's a PHENOMENAL skill. High investment in courage is probably the best investment you can make.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, the Camera quests are so fun and cool and good.

Earlier today I was wracking my brain trying to figure out why I never played it on PS2, and then I checked the release date... it was two weeks after the worst breakup of my life. Mystery solved, I was too busy spending every day chain smoking and crying (often while also working). :(

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've been trying to break myself off putting points into Boomerangs for the Hero, and actually something that'll be good by the end game but goddamn Boomerangs are so good someone stop me. It's all 'rangs too nothing else it's really bad. Just when I thought Boomerangs were done, I got the recipe for a Reinforced Boomerang and phew boy we're back off.

I feel like a good idea of what I wanna do with Yangus (Axes with a bit of Scythes and Humanity) and Jessica (Whips and Staves with a bit of Sex Appeal), but man I'm kinda stumped on Angelo. I'm half tempted to focus on Bows even if it's not optimal just for some good diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I remember a post game boss that couldn't be damaged unless I had a certain spear skill or something or another so I'm just cranking that up what I want be damned.