Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Breast feeding derail ahoy!

quote:

My [25F] boyfriend [26M] acted like an idiot at my best friends [26F] wedding. Her baby [3 months] had to bed fed so she kept getting up to do it. He said in front of all the bridesmaids "I'm surprised her boobs have not given up, how can she enjoy her day when he's hungry every 2 hours?"

My friend, Emily has three children. She has the twin girls Hannah and Trish who are 3 years old. She recently had a son, Micheal who's only 3 months old. My best friend is an wonderful mom, she set up a room for the girls to play in and that's where they spent most of their time. Her son was right next to her the entire night. Micheal was really well behaved. He did not cry once during the wedding. When he wanted some milk he just started to make this "eh" noise and waved his arms up and down. She took him to a room to feed him. He would sit on her lap and look around the room a little. He would just sit in his stroller and go back to sleep.

During the wedding he made the comment while I was talking to the other bridesmaids "I'm surprised her boobs have not given up, how can she enjoy her day when he's hungry every 2 hours?" Of course they told her. She told me "You tell your boyfriend that this is my wedding. I'll feed him as much as he wants me to."

I need a way to handle my boyfriend because he does not see anything wrong with what he said.

TL;DR: Boyfriend made a stupid comment and I want to know how to handle him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

If she's gonna post every time her boyfriend says something stupid she'll be the most prolific poster in Reddit history

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Gluten Freeman posted:

I love the mum in this one. I wish my mum could have done this to my terrible dad.
I really nave 0 sympathy for the dad in this one and good for that lady for salvaging something of her life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That's a pretty innocent dumb thing to say, too. He didn't call her a whore or anything.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Lonely Virgil posted:

drugaddicts.txt

Almost haha, We actually looked after the apartment for 2 weeks, the first week we did a ton of drugs. The second week we decided to get sober cause we were too hosed, ironically that's when things got hosed.
[/quote]

How does someone post this and not expect hate? "We were broke so we stole stuff from my brother. He's such an rear end in a top hat for pressing charges." What a piece of poo poo.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I like how the gf wants to go to school "to look after old people" (and steal from them)

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

WampaLord posted:

That's a pretty innocent dumb thing to say, too. He didn't call her a whore or anything.

I think the problem is that when confronted that what he said might not be the most sensitive thing ever, he doubled down and said it was NBD.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bored posted:

How does someone post this and not expect hate? "We were broke so we stole stuff from my brother. He's such an rear end in a top hat for pressing charges." What a piece of poo poo.

Junkie trash

La Brea Carpet posted:

I think the problem is that when confronted that what he said might not be the most sensitive thing ever, he doubled down and said it was NBD.

Please explain how it is a big deal cause idgi either

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeeeaah I'm not getting it. He didn't say she shouldn't do it; he didn't say he was disgusted or offended. He just said he was surprised she could stand it. These ladies sound a mite sensitive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Like thats not even offensive. If anything, its supportive as it indicates he knows the baby is exhausting and that she likely has little time for herself. Is it particularly helpful? Not really but fuckin a lady he should dump you if a sentence like that results in an arguement and a reddit request

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Blue Train posted:

Please explain how it is a big deal cause idgi either

It's not a yuuge deal really, but the mother/bride/breastfeeder obviously made a choice to feed on demand and not pump/bottle during the wedding day, or have somebody else give the kid a bottle. At 3 months, feeding every 2-3 hours isn't unreasonable. Each feeding would last about 15-25 minutes. Assume that between prep/ceremony/reception the day was 6-8 hours long. So 2-3 feedings during that time, which in the grand scheme of things isn't that bad.

It's more the fact he made a comment about her boobs wearing out to her friends which is immature and crass at best.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

La Brea Carpet posted:

It's more the fact he made a comment about her boobs wearing out to her friends which is immature and crass at best.

OK I can get behind this

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah. Comment about how taxing motherhood is is more than fine. Comment about degradation of breasts not fine.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Emily Post says that, "I bet that broad's tits are abso-loving-lutely exhausted," is the most genteel and polite way to express concern for a nursing mother. In fact it's probably too formal for a wedding unless they are aristocrats or something.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeeeaah I'm not getting it. He didn't say she shouldn't do it; he didn't say he was disgusted or offended. He just said he was surprised she could stand it. These ladies sound a mite sensitive.

Yes, but on r/relationships the secret to human happiness is to passive-aggressively burn bridges with anyone who doesn't do exactly the "correct" thing in every situation

This way you will definitely be a virtuous person surrounded by other equally virtuous people, and not at all a petty and self-righteous rear end in a top hat

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

i like the coworker saying he didn't know because that's 1000 percent a lie.

I worked with a guy who maintained a lie at work that he was single for 7 months so he could bang chicks at work. He had a wife and a kid at home.

For all we know, the girlfriend is even more terrible than she sounds!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If he didn't know how did he get dudes number or know who to text, imo

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Blue Train posted:

If he didn't know how did he get dudes number or know who to text, imo

oh jeeze that's a good point, haha

Claimed she was in an open relationship, maybe?

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

As terrible as what the cheater did, she handled it much better than plenty of other cheaters in this thread. She apologized, told the poster that she would leave him alone if he wanted, admitted to her actions, and told people close to the poster the truth instead of lying to make herself out to be the victim. I remember a post in the last thread where the wife cheated and told her family that her husband beat her to cover up why they were getting a divorce. Everyone believed her.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yup, scurrying off under a rock like a cockroach and staying gone forever is the best possible thing she could do for her ex-boyfriend.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

Yup, scurrying off under a rock like a cockroach and staying gone forever is the best possible thing she could do for her ex-boyfriend.

Well, the best thing would be to not cheat but if anyone realized that we wouldn't have stories.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WampaLord posted:

the best thing would be to not cheat

I disagree cheating owns

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Blue Train posted:

I disagree cheating owns

I disagree! Cheating does not own! Also you will die alone with that attitude missy!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tiny Deer posted:

I disagree! Cheating does not own! Also you will die alone with that attitude missy!

:yeah:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And just because the other person was really hot... seriously, that's lame. Throwing away 5 years of something good for an hour of ego tripping? People have got to think straight.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

People have got to think

This is like extreeeeemely optimistic tbh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

As terrible as what the cheater did, she handled it much better than plenty of other cheaters in this thread. She apologized, told the poster that she would leave him alone if he wanted, admitted to her actions, and told people close to the poster the truth instead of lying to make herself out to be the victim. I remember a post in the last thread where the wife cheated and told her family that her husband beat her to cover up why they were getting a divorce. Everyone believed her.

She lapses on this a little bit if you follow the updates. OP gets into a car accident within two weeks that puts him in the hospital, and she shows up crying and saying she loves him, then he manages to thank her for her concern and ask that she leave, which she does after apologizing. Apparently she offers to make food for him while he's there through her sister but he declines and never hears from her again.

A lot of people on Reddit were questioning her email, saying that it sounded too cold, robotic, and prepared. But based on the update, I do think she was genuine regretful. Doesn't mean that they should get back together of course.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

haljordan posted:

I like how the gf wants to go to school "to look after old people" (and steal from them)

Old people frequently have powerful narcotic prescriptions.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Pick posted:

And just because the other person was really hot... seriously, that's lame. Throwing away 5 years of something good for an hour of ego tripping? People have got to think straight.

We should show this thread to any economist who insists that people are always "rational actors"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah. Comment about how taxing motherhood is is more than fine. Comment about degradation of breasts not fine.

The comment the bride made indicated SHE thought the comment was saying she shouldn't breast feed so much, so even though he was inappropriate, he wasn't attacking motherhood or whatever it is they're accusing him of. Poor (probably drunk) guy was probably just trying to (ineptly) make conversation and...chose poorly. Also we don't actually know that information was not skewed when it was relayed to the bride.

Not saying he didn't do something dumb, but he didn't seem to do what the bride is accusing him of.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 21, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I wouldn't blame her for being on edge about the comment considering how rude people are about breastfeeding in public

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

'Don't talk about the bride's tits on her wedding day' is not a whole lot to ask, actually.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

'Don't talk about the bride's tits on her wedding day' is not a whole lot to ask, actually.

i think this is the real breach of etiquette here, more than anything else, really

of all the loving days in the world to make a stupid comment like that, on her wedding day, dude?

this dude needs to learn he is clueless and that that means he needs to just keep his mouth shut when he is in a setting like that

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

quote:

Girlfriend [28F] wants us to split costs based on gender pay gap. I think this is stupid.

So we've been dating for 2 years and plan to start living together in a couple of months. I make 80K, she makes 75K. My idea is that we split the living costs based on income (52% me, 48% her). She thinks we shouldn't do it based on the income, we must do it based on the gender wage gap.

So assuming women make 79 cents on the men's dollar, our percentages default to 56% me and 44% her. Adding our income difference to it means that she wants me to cover 58% of our costs and herself 42%.

She says this is what every single one of her friends do with their SOs and says it's the most fair. Honestly I've never heard of doing it this way, all I've heard is that couples either do it by income, or just split in half.

Is she right that this is more fair to her, and should I accept? Is this a normal way to do this?

tl;dr: Girlfriend wants us to include the gender pay gap in the way we split the costs to make it more fair to her.

the balls on this girl to ask for this lmao. i love it

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That % she's quoting is from the 1970s anyway and wildly out of date

Edit: as with anything there are layers to it but in the end she's being a twat.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 21, 2017

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Gluten Freeman posted:

the balls on this girl to ask for this lmao. i love it

:eyepop:

Now this is some quality misandry.

Edit: not you, that girl.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
He should agree on the condition that closet and bathroom counter space is divided the same way.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

How about you don't haggle percent points with your partner at all when you both make effectively the same money.

How many real dollars per month is this argument about? Over or under $50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

How about you don't haggle percent points with your partner at all when you both make effectively the same money.

How many real dollars per month is this argument about? Over or under $50?

they both make stupid amounts of money, too

either one of them could support both relatively comfortably forever on what they make

155k/yr between the two of them and they're arguing over who has to pay more of the rent, lol