Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

JawKnee posted:

be an adept and don worry bout guns err day

or vanguard and ABC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bud K ninja sword posted:

or vanguard and ABC

We've been discussing ME1. The one where vanguards aren't particularly special.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You can also get infinite credits with the hospital on the Citadel.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

We've been discussing ME1. The one where vanguards aren't particularly special.

I played through ME series a couple months or whatever ago as a Vanguard and ME1 had Shep just kinda jog forward as her vanguard charge. It was pretty fuckin' hilarious.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Drifter posted:

I played through ME series a couple months or whatever ago as a Vanguard and ME1 had Shep just kinda jog forward as her vanguard charge. It was pretty fuckin' hilarious.

i just always treated it like the lovely part of the hero cycle where the hero actually kinda sucks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

i just always treated it like the lovely part of the hero cycle where the hero actually kinda sucks.

Naw. You start as an adept and then when you die and go into the weird fever dream you can become anything you want.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Vanguard in 1 sort of makes up for not having charge with letting you use the broke as gently caress shotguns. Spectre weapons + max Carnage is just a vanguard charge by proxy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And you could make your barrier so huge and last so long that you were basically immune to all damage as you ran at drop ships full of geth with abandon.

Vanguard in the other games is very high risk, high reward and needs to stay mobile to work best. Vanguard ME1-type is basically a tank and just plods into incoming fire without giving a drat.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Though ME1 Adepts can have Perma-Barrier just as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, the only power you're really missing out on with a vanguard is Singularity (which admittedly is nice) but you can pick that up with your bonus power. And you get the ability to reload your powers with adrenaline rush.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the Vanguard in ME1 was supposed to be a biotic bruiser archetype with shotguns but pistols and throw were so comparatively broken that by the time you got around to leveling them it made more sense to just plink behind corners and slam dudes. Charge really made that class, to the point where it's difficult to imagine the canonical Mass Effect experience as being anything else besides a vanguard.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Charge really made that class, to the point where it's difficult to imagine the canonical Mass Effect experience as being anything else besides a vanguard.

Adept forever. I'll never forget the joy of Lifting enemies in Zero-G and then Throwing them off into deep space.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sentinel needs more love.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

I think the Vanguard in ME1 was supposed to be a biotic bruiser archetype with shotguns but pistols and throw were so comparatively broken that by the time you got around to leveling them it made more sense to just plink behind corners and slam dudes. Charge really made that class, to the point where it's difficult to imagine the canonical Mass Effect experience as being anything else besides a vanguard.

I changed as I went through the series. Was Adept at first but by 3 I was tired of hiding behind cover and wanted to bring the pain up close and personal. Partly because I wanted something fresh but partly because coordinating flanking manoeuvres with my party never felt like it had much payoff and I wanted to be more self-reliant.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Sentinel needs more love.

Played a Sentinel in my first ME 2 game. I didn't like how much time was spent huddled behind cover, taking potshots at things. Dropped it the moment I figured out how to mod the game to allow Biotics to work on armored targets (wtf was with that anyway?).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People accuse ME3 of being too easy on Insanity, which is only true if you don't do things like take on the entire final room of Grissom Academy at once.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Played a Sentinel in my first ME 2 game. I didn't like how much time was spent huddled behind cover, taking potshots at things. Dropped it the moment I figured out how to mod the game to allow Biotics to work on armored targets (wtf was with that anyway?).

An attempt to force you to diversify your party since you no longer needed electronics and decryption. The problem being that the actual spread of powers across the classes was abysmal. Warp was the only biotic power that did anything to anyone with protection, and only one party member got incinerate. Meaning all it really accomplished was making Miranda more or less a necessary include.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Skippy McPants posted:

(wtf was with that anyway?).

An attempt to make biotics not overpowered like ME1.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Kurieg posted:

An attempt to force you to diversify your party since you no longer needed electronics and decryption. The problem being that the actual spread of powers across the classes was abysmal. Warp was the only biotic power that did anything to anyone with protection, and only one party member got incinerate. Meaning all it really accomplished was making Miranda more or less a necessary include.

Miranda/Jack all day erryday.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you are plinking away from behind cover as a sentinel, you are doing it wrong.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If the mix and match thing is true. And there is a way to get charge and the tech armor that explodes when destroyed....

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Miranda's bonus to all teammates was really good too. So yeah, she was about mandatory as a teammate.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know where I read that Andromeda will have melee weapons but I really hope I wasn't just dreaming of it. I actually had tons of fun playing as a melee infiltrator in me3(even if it was rather inefficient), and having actual melee weapons would make it even better.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Huh, I beat ME2 on insanity without using Miranda at all, except the intro and her loyalty mission.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nerdz posted:

I don't know where I read that Andromeda will have melee weapons but I really hope I wasn't just dreaming of it. I actually had tons of fun playing as a melee infiltrator in me3(even if it was rather inefficient), and having actual melee weapons would make it even better.

It was a tweet from one of the devs.

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/821166739442561024?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

He does later say that melee weapons are in the game.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Olaf The Stout posted:

Huh, I beat ME2 on insanity without using Miranda at all, except the intro and her loyalty mission.

She just makes the game easier. She's not literally mandatory to beat it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe hammers are some kind of accessory that buffs your stats? Or maybe they change the heavy melee animation? Since you can essentially change class when ever you want it probably wouldn't make sense to tie the animation to your class like in ME3.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Veotax posted:

Maybe hammers are some kind of accessory that buffs your stats? Or maybe they change the heavy melee animation? Since you can essentially change class when ever you want it probably wouldn't make sense to tie the animation to your class like in ME3.

https://twitter.com/JohnLalinjaman/status/821193144070914048

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/821193920210202624

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

according to the other posts in the Twitter conversation it seems like melee weapons are regular weapons that you equip, not an alternate attack.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Finally space greatswords for the space dragon age armor.

I wonder if there are totally not stargate staff weapons. I'm down for that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Melee vs space gunz. Clearly the writers have improved.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waltzing Along posted:

Melee vs space gunz. Clearly the writers have improved.

And a jetpack.

I'm not sure whether I think this is a good move or not.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Truly, we have all become Kai Leng. :unsmigghh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Enemies spotted!

*Dismounts hover tank to hit them with hammers*

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DancingShade posted:

Enemies spotted!

*Dismounts hover tank to hit them with hammers*

*Deploys giant, tank-mounted hammer*

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Generic American posted:

Truly, we have all become Kai Leng. :unsmigghh:

I was thinking anime. Or Warhammer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Always a classic:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Warp was the only biotic power that did anything to anyone with protection,

You forgot the best ability in ME2: Reave.

The only thing Reave did worse was not having detonations in ME2, otherwise it was superior to Warp.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Cythereal posted:

And a jetpack.

I'm not sure whether I think this is a good move or not.

I mean, Space Marine taught me that a jetpack and a giant hammer is awesome and fun as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So the melee weapon takes the place of the rifle butt / pistol whip? That's cool I guess.