Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Super No Vacancy posted:

great more ubisoft collectible checklist gameing

I suppose people enjoy this kind of thing. I've cleared Wind Waker twice and I know several people who have obsessively collected everything in the Batman games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

the best zelda games:

twilight princess
minish cap
majora's mask

smell ya later

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
majora's mask is my favourite

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Spellman posted:

the best zelda games:

Phantom Hourglass
twilight princess
majora's mask

smell ya later

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Jarogue posted:

It was only the first five stages or so but yeah Its more like a remake to Super Bomberman 2 since the Five Dastardly Bombers are from 2 and 2 had the same upper and lower platform gimmick

Hell yes, make it happemn Atlus or Racdym or whoever

The kids better look like they originally did with those gigantic schnozzes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ethanol posted:

with 24 players because it couldn't do 64

tbh the game was better for the lower player count

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbh the game was better for the lower player count

Bad Company had poo poo Conquest maps, that's why it didn't require more players.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

got a real troll in our midst

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Bad Company had poo poo Conquest maps, that's why it didn't require more players.

it had great conquest maps actually

except heavy metal; that map was bad

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A whole bunch of high res Switch propaganda images here.

Shows renders of hardware in various colors and configurations, and a ton of pictures of Zelda, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Mario Odyssey. Lots of stuff I haven't seen yet, but I don't really spend a lot of time checking out the Switch besides this thread.

A curious thing I noticed, though -- I dunno if the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe images are actual game images, but it looks as if it's anti aliased (at least way moreso than the Wii U version was.) Maybe it's just the boost to 1080p, but it looks excellent in comparison. Aside from lovely battle mode, the lack of anti aliasing was pretty much my only issue with MK8. It'd be great if they added that in.

Edit: ah, nevermind, just looked at this shitter.

enojy fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 22, 2017

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Does link show his boobs in this one???????

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah that was confirmed at E3. You see his boobs before you even see his face.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Yeah that was confirmed at E3. You see his boobs before you even see his face.

FFXIV.avi

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Bad Company 2 had destructible buildings and stuff, in 2010 on a 360. Looking better is nice but doesn't fundamentally make the game more fun.

There are very, very few things in the category of "we want to do this fun gameplay thing but the hardware isn't good enough yet."

Didn't Bad company have much smaller maps? And a lower player count on consoles? The game also didn't look that great and wasn't pushing the bells and whistles that BF1 does.

Simulators and VR are all in the ballpark of "hardware isn't good enough." VR still sucks huge cocks because the technology to drive it well doesn't really exist. Also, splitscreen isn't as big of a thing anymore because it's too hard to drive.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Didn't Bad company have much smaller maps? And a lower player count on consoles? The game also didn't look that great and wasn't pushing the bells and whistles that BF1 does.

Simulators and VR are all in the ballpark of "hardware isn't good enough." VR still sucks huge cocks because the technology to drive it well doesn't really exist. Also, splitscreen isn't as big of a thing anymore because it's too hard to drive.

I was just using it as a point that it had been done before. I'm sure BF1 does it better but it's not like that sort of game wasn't possible before.

Yeah VR is definitely the next stage where performance will actually make a difference, but that's a very different situation that hasn't really hit the mass market yet.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Whoa Mario Kart looks like it has actual Battle Mode courses this time, guess I'll be buying that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

caldrax posted:

Whoa Mario Kart looks like it has actual Battle Mode courses this time, guess I'll be buying that.

It looks like it has 5 separate battle modes as well. I hope they can offer some kind of discount for people that had the original 8 digitally but I'm still hyped to buy it again.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Amazon Japan has the Switch Pro Controller for about 6,328 yen. (roughly $55 USD) Shipping to NA was 1,092 yen. (about $9.50 USD)

I'm paying about $65 USD to have the pro controller come from Japan, which is acutally cheaper than US MSRP + tax.

glassyalabolas fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 22, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I was just linked a video by an online acquaintance that claims that the Joycon grip that comes with the Switch does not in fact charge the Joycons. For that you have to buy a separate charging grip to the tune of $30. I'm not going to link the video, because the dudes in it are absolutely insufferable. They didn't say on what they base this claim so... I'll put the question to ya'll.

My gut says they base it on "what they pulled out of their rear end." The N3DS didn't come with a charger; Nintendo made that quite clear ahead of time that this was the case. Surely they would have said if it's impossible to charge the Joycons with what you get out of the box?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Silver Falcon posted:

I was just linked a video by an online acquaintance that claims that the Joycon grip that comes with the Switch does not in fact charge the Joycons. For that you have to buy a separate charging grip to the tune of $30. I'm not going to link the video, because the dudes in it are absolutely insufferable. They didn't say on what they base this claim so... I'll put the question to ya'll.

My gut says they base it on "what they pulled out of their rear end." The N3DS didn't come with a charger; Nintendo made that quite clear ahead of time that this was the case. Surely they would have said if it's impossible to charge the Joycons with what you get out of the box?

They're right, the grip that comes with the system doesn't charge the Joycons. However they do charge when they're attached to the Switch and the system's docked.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Silver Falcon posted:

Yes, the one in the box is just plastic. Nintendo has confirmed this. JoyCons charge when attached to the Switch itself.

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.

Silver Falcon posted:

The grip in the box doesn't charge. But when they are on the Switch itself, the Switch will charge them. So you can charge your JoyCons no problem.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ah, ok. The way they were making it sound was that it was impossible to charge the Joycons without shelling out for a charging grip. :rolleyes: As I thought; they're just being alarmist. Thanks for the info!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

After the N3DS coming out without its proprietary charger in the box, I don't blame them.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

enojy posted:

After the N3DS coming out without its proprietary charger in the box, I don't blame them.

I think that's being a touch unfair, since the same adapter already came with the DSi onward and it only cost $10 if you somehow didn't already have one. (Or more than one, even.)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

enojy posted:

Well this just means they're wrong twice, not that you shouldn't blame them for wronging you twice because they wronged you the first time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Modus Pwnens posted:

I think that's being a touch unfair, since the same adapter already came with the DSi onward and it only cost $10 if you somehow didn't already have one. (Or more than one, even.)

If any other hardware company came out with a product that didn't include a way to charge it they would be crucified for it. Thankfully Nintendo has a loyal fanbase that'll defend every stupid decision they make.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

Amazon Japan has the Switch Pro Controller for about 6,328 yen. (roughly $55 USD) Shipping to NA was 1,092 yen. (about $9.50 USD)

I'm paying about $65 USD to have the pro controller come from Japan, which is acutally cheaper than US MSRP + tax.

This kinda makes me think they're trying to feel out the right price in the U.S. and the $70 tag isn't final, like with Bomberman. Although why they'd start out by going for full sticker-shock is beyond me

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

TaurusOxford posted:

If any other hardware company came out with a product that didn't include a way to charge it they would be crucified for it. Thankfully Nintendo has a loyal fanbase that'll defend every stupid decision they make.

Everybody says its dumb. Nobodies defending it. You are an idiot who likes to cry about nintendos and the slightest opportunity. Why do you read threads that make you cry?

\/ I stand corrected.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 22, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

It would have cost more money for something you probably already had

I'm glad I didn't need to pay extra for something that was literally garbage to me

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
If only nintendo applied that philosophy to the wii u and switch

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

If you already had a 3DS charger when the N3DSXL came out, that either meant:
  • You are in a family that shares multiple 3DSes, in which case you can get away with only having one charger, but it's not ideal
  • You were replacing your previous 3DS, which meant you were probably trading it in, and you had to trade in the charger along with it

It wasn't a world-shattering issue, but leaving the charger out wasn't a good move.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The DS family charger is my favorite Nintendo peripheral

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

If you already had a 3DS charger when the N3DSXL came out, that either meant:
  • You are in a family that shares multiple 3DSes, in which case you can get away with only having one charger, but it's not ideal
  • You were replacing your previous 3DS, which meant you were probably trading it in, and you had to trade in the charger along with it

It wasn't a world-shattering issue, but leaving the charger out wasn't a good move.

I have a box of 3DS chargers and just use a $3 USB one in practice. But I also own every model of DS/3DS.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Lemming posted:

It would have cost more money for something you probably already had

I'm glad I didn't need to pay extra for something that was literally garbage to me

Um, I've always found having multiple chargers to be useful, from having a replacement in case of breakage/loss/lending to having one for your house and one for your bag/purse/etc. Fitting name for someone who so blindly follows.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Um, I've always found having multiple chargers to be useful, from having a replacement in case of breakage/loss/lending to having one for your house and one for your bag/purse/etc. Fitting name for someone who so blindly follows.

I don't think it was a good business move overall considering things like optics etc but it was good for me, on a personal level. If I wanted an extra one I could have bought it, and if I didn't want another I didn't HAVE to get it.

A decision can be suboptimal without being stupid.

Edit: there are also other considerations like how they sold more units in Japan vs US where people were even more likely to already have one or more chargers, along with trying to limit the number of individual SKU's they had. Reducing the whole situation to "well it was a system without a charger which is self-evidently stupid" is short sighted

Lemming fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 22, 2017

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Lemming posted:

I don't think it was a good business move overall considering things like optics etc but it was good for me, on a personal level. If I wanted an extra one I could have bought it, and if I didn't want another I didn't HAVE to get it.

A decision can be suboptimal without being stupid.

Edit: there are also other considerations like how they sold more units in Japan vs US where people were even more likely to already have one or more chargers, along with trying to limit the number of individual SKU's they had. Reducing the whole situation to "well it was a system without a charger which is self-evidently stupid" is short sighted

No, it isn't. Releasing a system that needs to be charged - and has poo poo battery life at that - without a charger is at best annoying and deeply cheap. It is objectively worse for the consumer and makes Nintendo look like a bunch of penny-pinchers.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

No, it isn't. Releasing a system that needs to be charged - and has poo poo battery life at that - without a charger is at best annoying and deeply cheap. It is objectively worse for the consumer and makes Nintendo look like a bunch of penny-pinchers.

What was the PR spin on it, reducing waste?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

I hate to break this to you my friend, but if they had included a charger with the system it would have cost you additional dollar bills, or other corners would have been cut on the system itself to make it cheaper to hit whatever specific price point. Companies don't just eat the cost of things for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The charger costs 10 dollars? They were able to drop the price by 80, surely they could have thrown a charger in. You're just asking for pissed of customers when a parent buys a 3DS for their kid, the kid plays it for a few hours, now it's dead and they have to drive all the way back to gamestop for the charging cable.

• Locked thread