Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

In terms of reading up on translations for arc 4, should I go with Translation Chicken or the 4 chan chapter links ahead of the former?

I mean, it's a trade off. Translation Chicken is a more thorough and serious translation but it's slower, while the other guy is like 80 chapters ahead and his style of glossing over the more tedious bits by saying gently caress a lot works for me but he self-admittedly isn't the best translator and his just punting in places so neither is perfect.

I'm buying the LNs as the come out anyway so I recently opted for the faster/looser translation since I'll be reading the professional translation eventually.

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Reminder that Rem killed Subaru, behind everyone's backs, because she found him suspicious and couldn't stand that nobody was doing anything about him. Twice.
She only landed a killing blow once, and he was already dying from the curse at the time. The time in the forest she had him dead to rights but she was healing him and torturing him for information; Ram was the one who finished him off there (the wind blade magic that she uses; she also cut off Subaru's leg while he was running), hence Rem's comment that her sister is too kind.
The first time he died in his sleep was just the shaman's curse (in recounting his day to Emilia, he mentioned that a dog bit him).

Y'know, not to say Rem didn't have any murderous or cruel tendencies, but she didn't exactly sneak into his room and club him to death, either.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hogama posted:

Y'know, not to say Rem didn't have any murderous or cruel tendencies, but she didn't exactly sneak into his room and club him to death, either.

Hogama posted:

She only landed a killing blow once, and he was already dying from the curse at the time.
She clubbed an ailing man to death in cold blood. E: as he was in fear and seeking help, no less.

Still best girl. :colbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I just watched the enitre anime over the week.

gently caress me this is brilliant. I guess they could have gone with a cliffhanger ending but honestly I really wanted to see things work out for Subaru by the end and felt he deserved it.

A few things of note:

1. I really like how they got around my immediate thought of just killing yourself a bunch of times to get powerups. You don't think about the trauma of death as being a huge deal, presumably because most people who encounter it, y'know, die, but the anime did an amazing job of selling them. My favourite moment in the thing so far is when Subaru just breaks down completely in the mansion.

1.a) Although, if he knows that following the first mansion path grants him a death he doesn't remember and a free reset, couldn't he actually just repeatedly follow the path for magic power upgrades?

2. I feel like Subaru himself is really well realised as a character. He feels real and I know that's imprecise as a term, but I can understand his flaws and buy into his successes because they just don't feel like they've been handed to him on a platter.

3. The foreshadowing is interesting and I want to find out more about what's going on with the witch, so there's longer term buy in as well.

4. Another really cool thing is that basically every action scene I see feels tense because I know the author has no compunctions about killing Subaru if he sees fit. It's a really clever way of just getting around the "they're the protagonist, they can't die! problem.

5. I love both the relationship between Subaru and Rem and Subaru and Emmylia as well. In specific, my second favourite point in the series is the final scene, not just because of the reconciliation but because Subaru is basically parroting what Rem told him. Not only is it nice that he's taken that to heart but it also shows just how much Emmylia's flaws parallel his own, which in of itself is a huge development for him since it shows he doesn't hold her on a pedestal any more.

I'm thoroughly hooked and I wonder if I can get my friends who are less into anime to sit through this.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yorkshire Tea posted:

4. Another really cool thing is that basically every action scene I see feels tense because I know the author has no compunctions about killing Subaru if he sees fit. It's a really clever way of just getting around the "they're the protagonist, they can't die! problem.

I feel like this isn't always true; there are some scenes where you can be reasonably certain Subaru isn't going to die. This is generally for narrative reasons - if an arc spends a long time with things going well and he has already died several times, you know he's probably not going to die because it would be bad from a narrative standpoint and require a bunch of stuff to be rehashed. A good example is once they start the operation against the whale; I knew he probably wasn't going to die during the fight because it would require rehashing all the "persuading everyone to join him, etc" stuff, which was pretty obviously something he was doing correctly. Subaru is most likely to die when he's still trying to figure things out or when he's just finished something major and it seems likely he might have crossed over to a new "save point."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like this isn't always true; there are some scenes where you can be reasonably certain Subaru isn't going to die. This is generally for narrative reasons - if an arc spends a long time with things going well and he has already died several times, you know he's probably not going to die because it would be bad from a narrative standpoint and require a bunch of stuff to be rehashed. A good example is once they start the operation against the whale; I knew he probably wasn't going to die during the fight because it would require rehashing all the "persuading everyone to join him, etc" stuff, which was pretty obviously something he was doing correctly.

Correct. Similarly, his save point would have moved after the fight with Emilia because otherwise it'd throw that development away.

But, then the author uses this savviness against you - it seems he'll get a not optimal but still successful resolution to the cult situation, similar to how things went with the mabeasts, but gets possessed by Petelgeuse and dies. Redoing the whale fight would be redundant so his save point gets moved forward, for the first time showing that it settles not only before a situation will arise but also right after an important situation is solved.

It doesn't fall within what's covered by the anime, and Subaru was naturally inclined to this approach given how much he values his life/hates dying, but this further cements the theme of his ability: he has to try his hardest every time, because the first time his succeeds is the outcome he's stuck with. As Rem tragically demonstrates. This is very good at keeping tension to the narrative since even if the protagonist will ultimately win, "victory" isn't a binary.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like this isn't always true; there are some scenes where you can be reasonably certain Subaru isn't going to die. This is generally for narrative reasons - if an arc spends a long time with things going well and he has already died several times, you know he's probably not going to die because it would be bad from a narrative standpoint and require a bunch of stuff to be rehashed. A good example is once they start the operation against the whale; I knew he probably wasn't going to die during the fight because it would require rehashing all the "persuading everyone to join him, etc" stuff, which was pretty obviously something he was doing correctly. Subaru is most likely to die when he's still trying to figure things out or when he's just finished something major and it seems likely he might have crossed over to a new "save point."

I always found the bits where everything was working out to be the worst parts of the show in general. Nice catharsis to have it all go well after so much death and general horribleness, but the 'it's going well' parts were otherwise consistently the most badly written and paced sections. I guess it shows to a degree how crucial the tension of knowing things could go badly wrong at any moment was. All the drama was excellent, but as soon as it was over the show didn't quite know what to do with itself.

EDIT: Of course, the series goes on and probably does better with that when the pacing's not constrained by having to fit events into a set number of episodes, and I'm sure it plays with the whole idea of making us think people won't die just because things seem to be working out this time. Doesn't really change the fact that it never worked very well in the show.

smenj fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 20, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think it was clearly established that Subaru (who wasn't already inclined to min-maxing at the cost of his life) can't in fact try to "exploit" the system; it somewhat abuses the "I can return by d-" as a mabeast taunt ability as the "exception that proves the rule", the Witch is an intelligent force and can gently caress with him if need be.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think it was clearly established that Subaru (who wasn't already inclined to min-maxing at the cost of his life) can't in fact try to "exploit" the system; it somewhat abuses the "I can return by d-" as a mabeast taunt ability as the "exception that proves the rule", the Witch is an intelligent force and can gently caress with him if need be.

I think it's mostly that dying is extremely unpleasant and no one who isn't insane is going to willingly do it, even if they know they can come back to life afterwards.

One thing I find that fiction/anime is often really dumb about (that Re:Zero is good about) is making the assumption that experiencing terrible stuff repeatedly makes you build up a "defense" to it. In reality, the opposite is true; experiencing terrible stuff repeatedly actually makes you more afraid of it. Subaru repeatedly experiencing death wouldn't make him treat it more casually; it would make him have a mental break-down and fear it even more (which is what happens).

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's mostly that dying is extremely unpleasant and no one who isn't insane is going to willingly do it, even if they know they can come back to life afterwards.

One thing I find that fiction/anime is often really dumb about (that Re:Zero is good about) is making the assumption that experiencing terrible stuff repeatedly makes you build up a "defense" to it. In reality, the opposite is true; experiencing terrible stuff repeatedly actually makes you more afraid of it. Subaru repeatedly experiencing death wouldn't make him treat it more casually; it would make him have a mental break-down and fear it even more (which is what happens).

But my video games--

In reality that is the main draw that makes me love RE:Zero, you know aside from the camerawork, animations at times and having the entire final arc be a "hello you whiteknighting weeb see a bunch of adults having none of your poo poo eat dirt for the sins of thousands of self insert web novel mc's." I think the fact that in videogames death doesn't really have a consequence other than time, resources and frustration, those who use videogames as their reference unknowingly ignore how they sliced off an entire piece of the human psyche.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Annointed posted:

But my video games--

In reality that is the main draw that makes me love RE:Zero, you know aside from the camerawork, animations at times and having the entire final arc be a "hello you whiteknighting weeb see a bunch of adults having none of your poo poo eat dirt for the sins of thousands of self insert web novel mc's." I think the fact that in videogames death doesn't really have a consequence other than time, resources and frustration, those who use videogames as their reference unknowingly ignore how they sliced off an entire piece of the human psyche.

I agree with you, but I am a internet troll, so I leave this here without comment:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I read most of it, and:

You worry too much, friend.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Just speculating, but I can imagine a future gut punch being a world where Subaru succeeds and lives out a really fulfilling life to old age, with a family that he adores only to wake up at a reset point like 60 years earlier.

I can't imagine what it would be like to know your children and have them taken away from you like that, but I'm willing to bet this anime could do it justice

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nah, he'd only get a happy ending like that if he gave up - and if he did, then the witch would stop looping him.

Because the novels up to this point show that Subaru himself is refusing Satella's invitation to join her in oblivion.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Just speculating, but I can imagine a future gut punch being a world where Subaru succeeds and lives out a really fulfilling life to old age, with a family that he adores only to wake up at a reset point like 60 years earlier.

I can't imagine what it would be like to know your children and have them taken away from you like that, but I'm willing to bet this anime could do it justice

I believe you are lucky/unlucky.

Some of the alternate material dive into "What if" scenarios. But the main story seems to evolve to become some sort of "magical road movie" somewhat like Wizard of Oz.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
What ever happens to Rem?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

mpyro posted:

About R.
Don't read this except if you really want to get spoiled:
Her name gets deleted, so people don't remember her, except Subaru, that protect her until se awake again. The revelation happens just after what we see in the anime.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mpyro posted:

The party heading back to the capital runs into the Archbishops of Gluttony and Greed. It's a slaughter. Rem gets her existence devoured, not completely ceasing to exist like the White Whale's ability, but nevertheless becoming a comatose shell who nobody remembers.

By the time Subaru finds out, his save point has already moved forward.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JACo5EXCvbw

Just for fun, here's a fanmade season two trailer.

Contains some extremely vague spoilers that won't mean anything out of context aside from a bunch of new character designs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

madmac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JACo5EXCvbw

Just for fun, here's a fanmade season two trailer.

Contains some extremely vague spoilers that won't mean anything out of context aside from a bunch of new character designs.

I'm so loving hype.

Which Myth and Roid song was that?

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Conspiratiorist posted:

The party heading back to the capital runs into the Archbishops of Gluttony and Greed. It's a slaughter. Rem gets her existence devoured, not completely ceasing to exist like the White Whale's ability, but nevertheless becoming a comatose shell who nobody remembers.

By the time Subaru finds out, his save point has already moved forward.

So she is gone forever, or will she ever come back?

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

mpyro posted:

Pretty sure only the author knows at this point

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nah, he'd only get a happy ending like that if he gave up - and if he did, then the witch would stop looping him.

Because the novels up to this point show that Subaru himself is refusing Satella's invitation to join her in oblivion.

Ehhhh.....

(TRIPLE SPOILERS) Satella or the Witch of Envy?

e: as long as we're doing the redacted CIA document thing, Do you think we'll get an entire episode out of "that" speech if the show ever gets to it?

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm so loving hype.

Which Myth and Roid song was that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFi4FTOuqKk The song at the end of ep 14 it looks like.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Brownieftw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFi4FTOuqKk The song at the end of ep 14 it looks like.

Yesssss, thanks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

mpyro posted:

Hard to say. I want to say probably yes but that's just based off of the tone of the series not being that far cynical.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I had a little chuckle at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuyxcKsFWhI

It could just be that my sense of humour is weird, but the glee with which "I'm hot as poo poo, but I'm also a massive oval office," was said had me laughing far too hard.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 27, 2017

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I had a little chuckle at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuyxcKsFWhI

It could just be that my sense of humour is weird, but the glee with which "I'm hot as poo poo, but I'm also a massive oval office." was said had be laughing far too hard.

I lost it many times but "literally hundreds of White Knights" had me keeled over.

That last line as well :vince:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am rewatching the serie again and the first episode have a lot of tips about how the whole story will end, like a breadcrumb trail.

Of course I could be 110% wrong here but...

Episode 1 is really Episode 0. The loop was not created until Subaru was killed the first time *and* his last words where Satella, that created the loop *and* teleported Subaro to the world. So yea, is a paradox.

And it will end with a repetition of episode 0, but this time Subaru may choose to not meet Satella.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I love Gigguk so much.

"Give me one reason why I should agree?"
"You can be best girl."
"Deal!"
"Haha my finger crossed the entire time."

No one beats Rem, at least until next season, when presumably Emilia gets more screentime.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tei posted:

I am rewatching the serie again and the first episode have a lot of tips about how the whole story will end, like a breadcrumb trail.

Of course I could be 110% wrong here but...

Episode 1 is really Episode 0. The loop was not created until Subaru was killed the first time *and* his last words where Satella, that created the loop *and* teleported Subaro to the world. So yea, is a paradox.

And it will end with a repetition of episode 0, but this time Subaru may choose to not meet Satella.

That's not... a paradox... I think you're trying to describe a causality loop :eng101:

But Emilia isn't Satella. Also, since the anime is less than 1/4 of the planned story... nah.

Currently, it seems that the Subaru is Flugel theory is the strongest contender as to how he is connected to everything.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 28, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roswaal is future Subaru who went back in time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Subaru will die. But his soul will choose to go back in time, the time when he was happiest, and he will be at season 1 first episode. Rem who loves Subaru wants to be with him too and wants to be in a time when Subaru'd love her, but since he already loves Emilia she'll go back in time before Subaru is born, and become his mother.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

I love Gigguk so much.

"Give me one reason why I should agree?"
"You can be best girl."
"Deal!"
"Haha my finger crossed the entire time."

No one beats Rem, at least until next season, when presumably Emilia gets more screentime.

You have no idea.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Grouchio posted:

You have no idea.

We will really get a Season 2?, there has ben discussion about this, and it seemed a real possibility that even a successful anime like this may not get one.

One of my favorite animes, "No Game-No Life" never took a season 2.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Tei posted:

We will really get a Season 2?, there has ben discussion about this, and it seemed a real possibility that even a successful anime like this may not get one.

One of my favorite animes, "No Game-No Life" never took a season 2.

There's been absolutely no news of a second season happening as of yet, although the LNs did get a huge boost in sales on top of the anime doing well.

Even if we get one, I would expect no news for at least a year, the anime actually finished slightly ahead of the LNs in print at that point in time. Right now the author is busily cranking out the LNs for the fourth arc and it's not really possible to do an anime until he at least finishes it.

The LNs have been coming out at a pace of about one every two months so he should definitely have the next arc finished by the end of the year and probably headed into the fifth arc. Pretty much the plan seems to be having Tappei keep cranking out LNs until he's caught up with the WN which he may or may not resume sometime ever.

I guess to give a bit of a breakdown of the WN vs the lNs...

The first arc of the WN was 22 chapters, which got condensed down to one volume for the LN.

The second arc was 49 chapters and got condensed down to 2 Light Novels.

The third arc was ~85-90 chapters including the side chapters and epilogues, and got condensed down to 5-6 LNs

The fourth arc is huge, covering 130+ fricken chapters in the WN. It has a lot of poo poo going on and I'm really hoping it gets adapted for that reason alone, but it's also evidently the most changed arc so far according to people reading the LNs. It was an awesome arc in desperate need of an editor though, so I don't think that's a bad thing. There's like 2.5 LNs out for it so far.

The fifth arc is a "mere" 80 chapters or so in the WN, so even condensed you're probably looking at at least 3-4 LNs for that one.

The sixth arc is only like 24 chapters so far, but it's also totally unfinished and has pretty much been on hiatus ever since Rezero really took off as a LN.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 28, 2017

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

madmac posted:

The sixth arc is only like 24 chapters so far, but it's also totally unfinished and has pretty much been on hiatus ever since Rezero really took off as a LN.

As long as it doesn't turn into another hiatusxhiatus I'll be happy.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Apparantly they ripped a ton of poo poo out of the story to make it not reference a ton of future things. They're gonna have to do some interesting things in the second season to make up for this. Personally I hope this gets similar treatment as Hellsing/Fullmetal did.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Brownieftw posted:

As long as it doesn't turn into another hiatusxhiatus I'll be happy.

I have nothing to add to the discussion, but your avatar is very, very cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

• Locked thread