Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hey, how about some more charger chat because, why not?

I got some good cables and converters and a multitude of car chargers, so let's see what shakes out.

The C-C cable in use is Apple's MLL82AM/A. The A-C cable in use is Beklin's USB-IF certified A-C cable (F2CU032bt06-BLK). I also used TechMatte's Micro USB to C adapter.

I was using Ampere on a Pixel with a battery charge level of <55%. From what I understand, the Pixel starts pulling back on current above 55%, so I wanted to be sure that the phone would choose the fastest rate it could. Ampere is measuring the charge applied to the battery, so the number there is lower than what the charger is delivering due to base load of the phone. It seems like baseline load of the Pixel with screen brightness set to the lowest level was around 300mah.

First, I checked out the Vinsic USB C charger: https://www.amazon.com/Vinsic-Charger-Adapter-Standard-Outputs/dp/B014F2NQ36

This has a -1 on the recommendation spreadsheet. No safety issues were found with it and it's spec compliant. However, it does not have IR Drop compensation. What that means it it's not capable of detecting and compensating for the resistance drop of an attached cable. So, depending on what cable you use, significantly less than 5v could be making it to the device. Both the Pixel and 6p have a bug in their power firmware that make them very sensitive to voltage drop. If voltage drops too low, they back off current. Notes on this charger in the spreadsheet say that it would not charge past 1.5a for the tests. However, it was not clear what cable it was tested with so a low IR drop cable may fair better. With the MLL82AM/A, I saw my Pixel ramp up to about 1760mah. So, it was likely charging at about a 2A rate. Not terrible by any means, but not full spec. I may pick up one of the Belkin Thunderbolt 3ft cables because it's supposed to have the lowest IR drop of any cable tested. If I do, I'll try the charger again to see if it charges any higher.

Next up were a pair of Anker QC chargers. One was 2.0 and one was 3.0. The 2.0 one was rated to 2.4A and the 3.0 was rated to 3A. They performed similarly with the Belkin A-C cable. Both ramped up to a little over 1800mah. So, around 2.1A or so. So, the USB A chargers actually performed better than the USB-C charger. IR drop can come into play here as well. I don't know what the resistance of that specific cable is. I can assume it to be fairly low since Belkin usually is but it's possible a cable with a lower resistance could have done better.

Then I tried a Tylt Ribbon 2.4A micro USB charger. It's a captive cable charger where the cable is flat like a ribbon. It doesn't have any special or proprietary charging programming, just 2.4A delivery. I connected that up with the MicroUSB-C adapter. That charger fairly quickly ramped up to about 2010mah. So, considering base load of the phone, it likely was using the charger at its full 2.4A capacity. This tells me that either Tylt has IR Compensation built into their charger (I'm not sure if this is a thing outside of USB-C though) or they calibrated the charger taking into account the captive cable. Regardless, it was the best performing thus far and very close to an ideal 3A charge rate. This makes me almost want to try their new USB-C chargers since these seem to be so well built. But I don't want to gamble without knowing if they are electrically safe.

Finally, I tried the Verizon TYPECPDQC3VPC. This is a captive cable charger that does a bevy of specs. 5v/3a 7v/3a 8v/3a 9v/3a 12v/2.5a 15v/2a + QC3.0. This is one of 3 different USB-C chargers that Verizon sell that look very similar. There's this one, one that's only QC2.0 (it has a black cable end rather than red) and one that's strictly USB-PD over USB-C.

The QC2.0 one is a safety hazard and should never be used. The USB-PD version gets a 2 though he's not thrilled with the overcurrent protection and it does not have IR compensation and it doesn't appear to have been calibrated with the cable, so it may not charge at full speed.

The QC3.0 one actually gets a -1 recommendation though it seems like it's generally safe and not a bad option. Nathan K mostly doesn't like the overcurrent behavior. The amount of current it takes to shut off seems a bit high for a car environment where a cable could be smashed easily. However, it does have IR compensation (even if it isn't the best) and properly isolates devices from the car so you can't have back current into the vehicle.

Connecting up to my Pixel, it very quickly jumped up to about 2450mah of charge. So, that's probably close to a 2.8A charge rate depending on what else the phone was doing. So, it comes closest to max rate (and really could be charging at a full 3A depending how accurate Ampere is.) So, it's probably one of the only car chargers (if not THE only car charger) that will charge a Pixel at full rate. With that though comes a fairly expensive charger ($40) and iffy behavior if it is shorted out. I got the charger for $25 though since my work gets discount on Verizon accessories, so it may be more worth it at that price. Nathan calls it a "charger of last resort" and that seems apt.

The reason why I say that is it seems pretty easy to get something to charge the pixel at close to 2A rates safely. If your phone has a higher level of charge in it (above 55%) it's likely going to throttle down to under 2A anyways. So, you really only NEED 3A charging if you are going in with a fairly dead phone. If you are routinely plugging in your phone while driving with a >55% charge, then you probably don't NEED a 3A charger.

So, based on what I tested, I'm probably going to stick to my two Tylt Chargers in the car used with the Micro->C adapters. They are safe, high quality chargers and they only charge about 400mah behind max USB-C rate when the phone is below 55%. The Verizon charger i'll likely keep in the car I'm using more (depends on the season) and have it in reserve to use if I really need as much charge as possible in a short period of time. I'm going to stop using it where I was using it though since the cable routing meant it was being pinched a little with the arm rest. With the way it does overcurrent, I don't want to risk it.

Hopefully we'll eventually have GOOD C car chargers but for now just use a high amp A charger with a good A-C cable (or cable adapter), you aren't missing much. A better investment would be an additional Pixel OEM charger for the office. You can get it above 55% in under a half hour in all but the most extreme cases of discharge with the stock charger, then it really doesn't matter much what you have charging it in the car.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bull3964 posted:

<Quality analysis>

Seriously, thanks for doing this. I've been wondering what my best options are for replacing my out of spec USB-C chargers and still ensuring all-day access to charging and have settled on keeping my 2.4A car charger and just getting the Anker A-C cable. Glad to know your analysis supports that approach.

Given the warnings Nathan has given regarding the OEM charger for my 6P (Do NOT use with any other USB-C cable), I'm also getting the SONEIC and dodocool AC chargers. I suspect I'll end up with another USB-C phone by the end of the year and want to have non-proprietary options available.

Sadly, Google OEM stuff on the online store is not available here, so I'm settling for what's available on Amazon plus courier shipping.

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 22, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

While the USB-C poo poo sucks, right now I'm not too worried about it. I just had the phone off the charger for 26 hours and was only down to 63%.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

While the USB-C poo poo sucks, right now I'm not too worried about it. I just had the phone off the charger for 26 hours and was only down to 63%.

My pixel's battery life continues to be :haw: nice. :haw:

Granted, that flat bit at the end of the recorded graph was where I left it on the bedstand without being plugged in because I was drunk as a loving skunk and didn't even think to plug the fucker in, so it flattened out the interpolation like crazy.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 22, 2017

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have an Altacel OneTouch Idol Mini (which runs 4.2.2) that I love very much, but it has a bunch of unwanted software I can't remove nor can I upgrade the OS, so I tried multiple methods to root it, none of which worked. No biggie, factory reset it, everything seemed fine.

I'm just now getting around to trying to encrypt the phone storage again, and when I try, it either goes into a very rapid reboot loop, or freezes entirely, all the while becoming rather warm. It didn't do this before I attempted to root it, so I assume something important got messed up in the process that factory resets can't touch.

Am I stuck here, or is there something I can do to fix my phone guts?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The power button on my nexus 6p is stick pressed down so it keeps switching itself off/on. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose posted:

The power button on my nexus 6p is stick pressed down so it keeps switching itself off/on. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Have you tried pounding it on your desk?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Spray some wd40 in there

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

I have an Altacel OneTouch Idol Mini (which runs 4.2.2) that I love very much, but it has a bunch of unwanted software I can't remove nor can I upgrade the OS, so I tried multiple methods to root it, none of which worked. No biggie, factory reset it, everything seemed fine.

I'm just now getting around to trying to encrypt the phone storage again, and when I try, it either goes into a very rapid reboot loop, or freezes entirely, all the while becoming rather warm. It didn't do this before I attempted to root it, so I assume something important got messed up in the process that factory resets can't touch.

Sounds like hardware failure. You should replace it with a Pixel, an iPhone, or a Moto G.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jose posted:

Are you sure it's not the boot loop problem?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
No the button doesn't click and is now concave.

There is a phoen repair shop next to my work so i'll just go there tomorrow if there aren't any easy fixes but its annoying since i use my phone as an alarm

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 22, 2017

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

RZA Encryption posted:

Sounds like hardware failure. You should replace it with a Pixel, an iPhone, or a Moto G.

Is there hardware in a phone dedicated solely to encryption? This is the only feature of the phone that doesn't work.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Idk about that phone, but when googling I see other people with it having encryption problems. That phone's over three years old and on a now ancient version of Android. If you want to have a phone that works that long, get an iPhone or a Pixel.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Is there hardware in a phone dedicated solely to encryption? This is the only feature of the phone that doesn't work.

As far as I'm aware, the only Android with hardware cryptography handling is the Pixel. Every other device does it in software.

Maybe I'm crazy but wasn't there something broken in KitKat having to do with encryption? It was so long ago...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It could very well be marginal NAND too. Encryption requires the system to touch all blocks of storage and possibly it's hitting an error it can't deal with.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
If I recall, the phones using sw encryption caused them to be slow as poo poo, so maybe that's a bad choice. Was the case with my buddy's Droid Turbo

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Luckily, prior to the root attempts, I encrypted my storage with no issues or slowdown. Is there any way to scan my storage for errors or damage?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Get a new phone

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I'd really rather not, this one still works perfectly fine.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Altacel OneTouch Idol Mini (which runs 4.2.2)

Seriously, get a new loving phone

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

Luckily, prior to the root attempts, I encrypted my storage with no issues or slowdown. Is there any way to scan my storage for errors or damage?

I'm sure it's fine. Honestly even if it isn't, there's nothing you can do without the ability to flash a stock image and since you can't do that...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Killingyouguy! posted:

I'd really rather not, this one still works perfectly fine.

:confused:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Well, aside from this one thing, it's fine.

Thanks for all the responses :)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just a quick update. I picked up one of the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cables from the local apple store today. This is the F2CD082ds0.5MBK that's seriously overbuilt. The construction can handle 5 amps buts is emarked to only 3A because of Intel thunderbolt rules. It has the lowest internal resistance of all the USB C cables.

I paired it up to the Vinsic charger and gave it a try. My Pixel jumped up to 2560mah charge rate as opposed to the ~1700 rate I saw on the Apple charge cable. So, it seems with a low enough resistance cable, you can get full charge rates. This does come with downsides in that it's only 1.5 ft cable and the cable costs $22 to go with your $10 charger. But it does work.

One thing that slightly concerns me is that when the phone was plugged in and the car was off, the light on the charger pulsed very slowly and very faintly and I could hear a faint click that went with it. I don't know if this is a sign of back feeding current into the car or not. Neither the car nor the phone acted odd, but I would still probably unplug your phone before turning off the car if you went this route for charging.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is the Nexus 9 still bad, or did they patch it? Not looking for anything crazy, just a cheap video player

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you just want a cheap video player, get a used (or new if you can find one!) N7 2013. The aspect ratio of the N9 makes it so 16:9 content is barely larger than what's displayed on the N7 or any other 16:9 tablet.

Barring that, just get a FireTV. There's really no reason for anyone to buy a N9 at this point.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Dude, the OS on that is 4 years old. That is an eternity for phones. It's very insecure and lacking a ton of important features, and it's straight broken to boot. Get a new phone.

bull3964 posted:

If you just want a cheap video player, get a used (or new if you can find one!) N7 2013. The aspect ratio of the N9 makes it so 16:9 content is barely larger than what's displayed on the N7 or any other 16:9 tablet.

Still use my N7 for reading and videos. It's starting to get a pretty old but it's fantastic for a couch or travel. Cheap as hell, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

If you think that is somehow "fine", your head might actually explode if you try a current gen phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Taffer posted:

Still use my N7 for reading and videos. It's starting to get a pretty old but it's fantastic for a couch or travel. Cheap as hell, too.

I originally sold mine when I bought a N9 and then eventually re-bought the N7 in 2015 because I couldn't stand the N9. I still use it to this day even though I have a Pixel C as well. It's probably the best electronic purchase I've ever made.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I originally sold mine when I bought a N9 and then eventually re-bought the N7 in 2015 because I couldn't stand the N9. I still use it to this day even though I have a Pixel C as well. It's probably the best electronic purchase I've ever made.

I pulled mine out of my bag a couple days ago after not charging or using it for 3 days - 98% battery. I've had it live on standby for 10 days and still have enough battery to do stuff (recent android versions have improved this a ton too). It's amazingly resilient, I would have expected the battery to have deteriorated pretty far by this time. Even seems decent for games too, if that's something you like.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Grumpwagon posted:

Is the Nexus 9 still bad, or did they patch it? Not looking for anything crazy, just a cheap video player

There's an Android tablet thread, but it's hard to beat the Fire HD 8 as a cheap video player.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

There's an Android tablet thread, but it's hard to beat the Fire HD 8 as a cheap video player.

I was just going to recommend that. Like.. 80$ for a tablet that works great, has a decent screen and stereo speakers, and takes maybe 5 minutes to put Google services on is about as good as it gets, IMO

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Samsung put out official results of their Note7 investigation

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/22/galaxy-note7-investigation-finds-two-distinct-battery-problems/

quote:

The original batteries for the Note7 had casings too small to accommodate the electrode assembly, which led to thermal failure and short-circuiting with normal use. Additionally, the tip of the cells' negative electrodes were incorrectly located in the battery structure.

[After the first recall,] the new cells were found to have high welding burrs on the positive electrode. This caused the insulation tape to be penetrated, but some cells were found to not have protective tape at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s4uqr1serU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

LastInLine posted:

As far as I'm aware, the only Android with hardware cryptography handling is the Pixel. Every other device does it in software.

Maybe I'm crazy but wasn't there something broken in KitKat having to do with encryption? It was so long ago...

This isn't true, the Nexus 5x at least certainly has hardware encryption, and I believe the Nexus 6 and likely 6P have it too.

Edit: I'm wrong as gently caress, on all 3 counts, but leaving this here as a reminder of my shame. Turns out they're all encrypted by default, unlike most phones, but without full hardware.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was under the impression they physically have the hardware available but since they run AOSP Android (rather than the Google-skinned Android the Pixel runs), they can't actually use it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

The 5X and 6P use ARMv8 vector instructions (NEON) for FDE, which is faster than most software implementations but is still software. IIRC Google says it's because it's actually faster than the 810/808 hardware AES, which wouldn't surprise me if true because lol 810.

I don't think the AOSP vs custom skin thing is the case because I don't see why AOSP couldn't use it if it was available and fall back to software if not, it's just instructions that are part of the ARMv8-A spec like the NEON instructions they use instead.

And just to clarify if anyone is confused by "hardware encryption:" most phones with SoCs that support ARM TrustZone use it as a hardware backed keystore even if the actual encryption/decryption is done in software.

Theris fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 23, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Theris posted:

I don't think the AOSP vs custom skin thing is the case because I don't see why AOSP couldn't use it if it was available and fall back to software if not, it's just instructions that are part of the ARMv8-A spec like the NEON instructions they use instead.

Because Google doesn't want to build to a specific SoC implementation in AOSP. The NEON instructions are available to any ARMv8 processors out there (such as MediaTek). The hardware encryption for the SD808/810 would have JUST been for those SoCs and that's not really how Google rolls with AOSP.

It's really the same reason why Google didn't do any of the touch latency optimizations on any prior device or any one of the other tweaks they did for the Pixel. They are likely interacting with a lower level API that requires device specific code. They aren't going to put code into AOSP that requires use of an API for a closed binary that may not be licenced for public distribution.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

quote:

Burning Pintos have become such an embarrassment to Ford that its advertising agency, J. Walter Thompson, dropped a line from the end of a radio spot that read 'Pinto leaves you with that warm feeling.'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean I'd feel better about Samsung after that ad if it weren't for the almost decade of total poo poo I'd seen from them beforehand.

Bet their batteries wouldn't have exploded if they didn't have touchwhiz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

I mean I'd feel better about Samsung after that ad if it weren't for the almost decade of total poo poo I'd seen from them beforehand.

Bet their batteries wouldn't have exploded if they didn't have touchwhiz.

Lol what?