Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

UmOk posted:

I think most posters here understand that droids are people in Start Wharves. I am just genuinely curious about what people think makes a person a person.

Man is separate from the animal kingdom because he is created in God's image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

UmOk posted:

I think most posters here understand that droids are people in Start Wharves. I am just genuinely curious about what people think makes a person a person.

Philosophically, it's a self-conscious, rational being.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

UmOk posted:

What is the line between humans and animals?

Thus far, the strongest dividing line between humans and animals is the ability to consciously ask questions. The few experiments that've been done with ape language indicate that, while apes can (seemingly; there's still some debate around it) provide answers, they themselves do not ask questions.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vermain posted:

Thus far, the strongest dividing line between humans and animals is the ability to consciously ask questions. The few experiments that've been done with ape language indicate that, while apes can (seemingly; there's still some debate around it) provide answers, they themselves do not ask questions.

I was reading a report somewhere on how far biologists think we could go if we were to breed dogs for intelligence (as in trying to get them near our level). They concluded that you could get some very smart dogs, but holy cow how weird would that world be.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Phylodox posted:

I'm not saying it wasn't kind of lovely, just not slavery. Threepio was in possession of, just, ridiculously sensitive information and proved he just couldn't keep his mouth shut. What alternative did they have? Imprison him? Kill him?

They probably should have mind-wiped Obi-Wan as well, come to think of it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hodgepodge posted:

They probably should have mind-wiped Obi-Wan as well, come to think of it.

Obi-Wan knew when to keep his trap shut.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

UmOk posted:

In his book Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, Yuval Noah Harari asserts that the distinguishing characteristic is the ability to believe in metaphors, fictions, abstractions, and imaginary things of that nature. The ability to treat ideas with little to no concrete basis as literally existent (and to cooperate with strangers who also acknowledge the existence of the same imaginings), and reason about them in the same way that one reasons about material phenomena. The things that art is about, basically, though he doesn't think that art itself is the key.

That's the most recent idea I've heard about it, anyway, and it was compellingly presented.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

What is the line between humans and animals?

Language, i.e. symbolization.

The fact that C3PO is ashamed of his nakedness is a reference to the Eden myth, which is typically read as the tale of how humans were kicked out of the animal kingdom.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

UmOk posted:

This is a genuinely important question, and is made all the more difficult as our species currently (seems to) have the crutch of being able to say that a person is a human. Indeed, the Merriam-Webster gives "human, individual" as the first definition of "person." Separating personhood from the human corpus might even seem an inherently unfruitful endeavor. However, the concept of non-human people has been a part of human culturally for quite literally the length of history, first as gods, spirits and talking beasts and later as otherworldly aliens and mechanical life such as droids. The concept of personhood must therefore be distinct from merely being human.

Returning to Merriam-Webster, "person" has other definitions, the second of which may provide some direction, "a character or part in or as if in a play." It's also worth bringing up the etymology of the word "from Latin persona actor's mask, character in a play." From this, we might conclude that a person isn't only (or isn't merely) a state of being, but something that can be performed. Persons then aren't just limited to humans, but can also include anything that does or can perform as a person.

(This also provides an explanation as to why humans can deny personhood to fellow humans: someone who solely considers personhood a performance would exclude humans who fail to perform to their subjective standard. This is also where society comes into play, since that would influence a persons standard for personhood.)

While that is much more complete answer, it is not itself adequate. Performance is a type of communication. Performing as a person, then, must communicate something specific. This is the point that excludes things like digital assistants, animals wearing clothing*, and computer programs that solely consist of "10 Print I am alive" from being persons. ("The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.") An imitation of humanity is not enough; it fails to fully communicate what is necessary.

What, then, needs to be communicated before we can recognize something as a person? A definitive answer is difficult to fully express, at least fully, but it can be roughly approximated (how rough is another question). It's almost certainly consists of at least:

* The ability to have conscious experiences and subjectivity. (Which is sentience.)
* The ability to recognize oneself as separate from their environment and other individuals. (Which is self-awareness.)
* The ability to hold values and exercise judgement. (Which is sapience.)

It might also (but likewise might not) consist of:

* The ability to form models and representations of things within their mind and otherwise have thoughts. (Which is intentionality.)
* The ability to form a sense of selfhood and a sense of wakefulness, distinct from self-awareness. (Which is consciousness.)
* The ability to express it's thoughts and recognize such expressions from others. (Which is language.)

Again, those qualities are not a full and complete definition of what personhood is. However, a being that can express all these characteristics can be considered to likewise possess all other characteristics that form personhood. That is, any being that can express these characteristics is certainly a person, and to assume otherwise is at best irresponsible and at worst heinous. Indeed, the concept that it is possible to possess such characteristics yet not be a person is morally fraught.

(Do not take this to mean that personhood cannot necessarily exists outside the ability to communicate itself, merely that the ability to communicate ones personhood is proof of the fact.)

This is what I believe makes a person a person. If I were to recognize these characteristics in something, be it a stone, a wheel of fire, or a tin wind-up toy, I would recognize that as a person. When I recognize those characteristics in a character or object in a work of fiction, I consider that character or object a person within the context of that work.

*This isn't to argue that animals are or are not persons, merely that dressing them in clothing doesn't make them such.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 22, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could have just typed "sentient being" .

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

euphronius posted:

You could have just typed "sentient being" .

Yeah, but then some jerk asks me what makes a sentient being a sentient being and we're all right back at the beginning again.

Besides, I didn't have any plans for those four hours.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Ol' George just didn't care too much about whether his backstory made complete 100% logical sense as to whether droids were persons or not. They're characterised as people because that made the film the way he wanted it regards to comedy etc.

Also, lol if you think the American civil war was started to free the slaves

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Let me fill you in on a lil thing we like to call death of the author

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The idea that filmmakers spend less time thinking about their work than random posters on internet forums never gets old.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

starkebn posted:

Ol' George just didn't care too much about whether his backstory made complete 100% logical sense as to whether droids were persons or not. They're characterised as people because that made the film the way he wanted it regards to comedy etc.

quote:

There's a saying:

When you know just a little about the Civil War, it was about slavery. When you know a bit more about the Civil War, it wasn't about slavery. When you know a lot about the Civil War, it was about slavery.

"Lol" if you buy blatant neoconfederate propaganda.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

starkebn posted:

Uh, it was when the republicans took away the democrats slaves. That's why they are still so mad today.

Also, lol if you think Lucas was thinking about any of this stuff this deeply.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

spacetoaster posted:

Uh, it was when the republicans took away the democrats slaves. That's why they are still so mad today.

Also, lol if you think Lucas was thinking about any of this stuff this deeply.

sassassin posted:

The idea that filmmakers spend less time thinking about their work than random posters on internet forums never gets old.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!
Perhaps Lucas has truly mastered wu wei the art of non-action. As the Buddha would say, "not thought, not self, not Star Wars."

:geno:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The joke is that, even if Lucas were literally mindless, this guy will still have failed to outwit him.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

starkebn posted:

Battle Hymn of the Republic posted:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.

(Chorus)
Glory, glory, hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps,
They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps:
His day is marching on.

(Chorus)
His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:
"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal";
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,
Since God is marching on.

(Chorus)
Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! Be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.

(Chorus)
Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me.
As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free
While God is marching on.

(Chorus)
While God is marching on.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

That aside, if you can mind-wipe a person whenever it's convenient for you to do so, then that person is functionally your slave regardless of legalities.

Hell, that was the plot of Marvel's Civil War and Winter Soldier.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This rules and reminds me of all of the old classic Tolkien art. LIke rather than just repainting the scene as it is in the film, you could almost get the impression that this is an artist's vision of how it happened from a telling of the story. If you have any more, please share.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

is that movie art or fan art?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
No idea, I just found it on GIS and thought it was tight.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 227 days!

Silver Brushes posted:

This rules and reminds me of all of the old classic Tolkien art. LIke rather than just repainting the scene as it is in the film, you could almost get the impression that this is an artist's vision of how it happened from a telling of the story. If you have any more, please share.

http://microkey.deviantart.com/art/Star-Wars-as-rock-band-299647831

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It's super weird how the same people who are obsessed with Star Wars will passionately argue that Star Wars doesn't mean anything.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

It's super weird how the same people who are obsessed with Star Wars will passionately argue that Star Wars doesn't mean anything.

I went to grad school with a guy who had a violent conviction that archaeology was ultimately meaningless and without value outside of itself. He was also in his 9th year in grad school when I started.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
ultimately it doesn't matter if shimi is freed, even if she was stashed away on some tropical paradise she would have eventually died and because the jedi are so afraid of negative emotions they don't teach anikin how to deal with them at all. anikin isn't seduced by the dark side he's pushed into it by the jedi.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you think about it hard enough, ultimately, everything is meaningless.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Elfgames posted:

ultimately it doesn't matter if shimi is freed, even if she was stashed away on some tropical paradise she would have eventually died and because the jedi are so afraid of negative emotions they don't teach anikin how to deal with them at all. anikin isn't seduced by the dark side he's pushed into it by the jedi.

Ultimately it does matter that Shmi was freed and this directly contributed to her terrible death.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Elfgames posted:

The negative emotions of seeing your mother raped and tortured to death are probably greater than her dying in her sleep thirty years later in Tropical Paradise Old Folks' Home tho

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

theflyingexecutive posted:

The negative emotions of seeing your mother raped and tortured to death are probably greater than her dying in her sleep thirty years later in Tropical Paradise Old Folks' Home tho

The tropical paradise faced a military blockade, invasion and occupation, and its people were put into camps.

Nowhere is safe in these star wars.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I wouldn't normally link to borderline clickbait youtube videos like this but this is by the same people who do earthling cinema, which is a pretty good series, and is somewhat relevant to the topic of Anakin's mother dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBbzmlSaxU

It hypothesises that Anakin is acting because of the 'death drive' Ernest Becker postulated in 'The Denial of Death', and compares it to the Jedi's pseudo-Buddhist approach regarding the acceptance of death. Manages to sneak in some Kierkegaard there too. Anakin is so consumed by the fear of death that he sacrifices everything to feel like he has control over it, whereas Obi-Wan becomes more powerful than he could ever imagine by being willing to die. (And then he does it himself at the end of ROTJ.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DeimosRising posted:

I went to grad school with a guy who had a violent conviction that archaeology was ultimately meaningless and without value outside of itself. He was also in his 9th year in grad school when I started.
Taking a wild guess here: libertarian?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.starwars.com/news/the-official-title-for-star-wars-episode-viii-revealed

Episode 8 - TLJ

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Luke dies then.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
But Jedi does not inflect for number.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I like it. Does make you wonder what happens to Luke by the end of this

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
But in latin, Jedi is spelt with an I!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So much for the Jedi returning, I guess.

• Locked thread