Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone want to get in on some armchair QBing?

Headed down the freeway doing 75-ish, hear a single ting and the sounds of debris rapidly being tossed under the car for about 3 seconds, then it goes quiet. Car free revs in gear so I pull off the road.

Clutch feels normal. No power to the rear tires. Can go into gear without depressing the clutch just fine, though there is a very subtle noise when its in gear like something spinning.

I'm guessing pressure plate. Anyone have bets? It's raining now and I will be getting under the car in a few hours. I was hoping it would be the guibo but after thinking about it I don't think I was this lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

BlackMK4 posted:

Headed down the freeway doing 75-ish, hear a single ting and the sounds of debris rapidly being tossed under the car for about 3 seconds, then it goes quiet. Car free revs in gear so I pull off the road.

Clutch feels normal. No power to the rear tires. Can go into gear without depressing the clutch just fine, though there is a very subtle noise when its in gear like something spinning.

I'm guessing pressure plate. Anyone have bets? It's raining now and I will be getting under the car in a few hours. I was hoping it would be the guibo but after thinking about it I don't think I was this lucky.

What color is your BMW?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

EightBit posted:

What color is your BMW?

Here's a dumb question, how unreliable are new BMW's, Audi's, and VW's? I live in a major city and drive the highways a lot and the broken down cars seem to be old shitboxes or new german cars.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Here's a dumb question, how unreliable are new BMW's, Audi's, and VW's? I live in a major city and drive the highways a lot and the broken down cars seem to be old shitboxes or new german cars.

I don't know anything in particular about BMWs, just that he mentioned a guibo and I think that they are one of the few brands that might have one. If it were some Italian car, I'd assume that he'd already have swapped into his other one that he just got back from the mechanic :v:

Edit: in seriousness, if you heard shrapnel hitting the road and you don't think you are rowing the shifter through grit, you probably didn't blow up your transmission or the clutch. Which is good news, relatively.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 21, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I would say that german cars require tinkering and care, not just left alone like 90-2000's Toyotas. If you do not stay ontop of them they will quickly end up so far behind it's difficult to catch up.

EightBit posted:

What color is your BMW?

Silver. Like all grandpa BMWs.

EightBit posted:

I don't know anything in particular about BMWs, just that he mentioned a guibo and I think that they are one of the few brands that might have one. If it were some Italian car, I'd assume that he'd already have swapped into his other one that he just got back from the mechanic :v:

Edit: in seriousness, if you heard shrapnel hitting the road and you don't think you are rowing the shifter through grit, you probably didn't blow up your transmission or the clutch. Which is good news, relatively.
The funny part is that I rode my Italian motorcycle to work after towing the BMW home. Kept thinking all day about how funny that was. I'm sure the transmission is fine. Edge case being the case of taking out the clutch plate explosively and carrying bellhousing with it. Pretty sure we aren't at that point.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 21, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

joat mon posted:

It's easier 1) to put two lines going through the lid, rather than drilling glass, 2)to just plug a crappy cigarillo with a plastic tip into the tube inside the jar (The free end of the rubber tube with the cigarillo on one end gets plugged into the intake) and 3) to just blow air from your lungs through the (other) tube.
e: or if you're a smoker, just take one tube, plug one end into the intake and blow smoke into the other end.

What if I vape?

bro

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

This sounds familiar! This happened to me in my E30 years ago, it ended up being one of the rear axles disconnecting from the differential. I thought it was the clutch until I brought it home and I was putting it in the garage and noticed the axle resting on the exhaust!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I went out and looked. Guibo - great.

I'll be goddamned, same thing as two beer said. Driver side axle bolts all missing in action.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How in the gently caress does that happen?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is an excellent question. I bought it about two months ago from a guy that didn't know much about it. Turned out to have a fair amount of mods that are generally made by someone who cares more about driving the car than it being completely civil, one of them being a a 3.64 diff. I'm going to guess that the bolts weren't locktited when the diff was swapped however long ago and worked themselves loose during the two trackdays I ran this past weekend.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How in the gently caress does that happen?

Similar issue happened on my '66 Corvette. It was at the wheel end of the halfshaft, though. Someone hadn't properly installed the French lock, so poo poo backed off. A couple of bolts fell out, the last one sheared as I accelerated around a corner.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Would you rather have a numerologically pleasing license plate or one hard to remember for the police?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Would you rather have a numerologically pleasing license plate or one hard to remember for the police?

I would have one that reflects light so the dashcam can't get it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

That is an excellent question. I bought it about two months ago from a guy that didn't know much about it. Turned out to have a fair amount of mods that are generally made by someone who cares more about driving the car than it being completely civil, one of them being a a 3.64 diff. I'm going to guess that the bolts weren't locktited when the diff was swapped however long ago and worked themselves loose during the two trackdays I ran this past weekend.

I bought an LSD on one of the E30 forums and what I hadn't noticed when I installed it was that there was oil/grease in all the threads so the locktite wasn't able to adhere. Every few months I just propped the back end up and re-torqued all the bolts.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I would have one that reflects light so the dashcam can't get it.

http://www.phantomplate.com/photoblocker.html

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Legal question: I parked my car on the street yesterday afternoon and just noticed a big dent and a scrape across the side of it, and my mirror was busted off. Looked around the neighborhood and found another car parked right across the street with a mark that matches pretty much perfectly. My car is white, his car is black, mutual paint trading, plus he has the paint worn down to fresh (non-rusted) sheet metal. It's a fresh scrape for sure. So I call the police and they send a car over. In the meantime a girl shows up and gets in the car. I ask her if she hit my car, she denies it but says its her boyfriends car and he drove it last.. coming back from a hockey game last night. She sticks around for a few minutes but says she has to go because she told her friend she would meet up etc. etc., so I get her name and number and her boyfriend's name and number and her license plate/registration plus some pics of the damage. Unfortunately it's dark out so the pictures aren't great. Police officer shows up, we call both of them and they both deny everything. Police officer files a report, seems like he believes me but nothing can be proven so he marks it as a hit and run. What else can I do? For what it's worth, I know the guy's roommate, he lives right next door to me. If he doesn't admit any guilt I just get to cross my fingers and hope that Allstate pays for thousands of dollars in bodywork on my 240k mile Subaru?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I would do one of two things, considering it's a 240k mile Subaru:

1- buy a can of primer and rattle can of the same color and cover it up well enough because it's a 240k mile Subaru
2- file a claim, pocket the check, buy a can of primer and rattle can of the same color and cover it up well enough because it's a 240k mile Subaru

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

1- buy a can of primer and rattle can of the same color and cover it up well enough because it's a 240k mile Subaru
2- file a claim, pocket the check, buy a can of primer and rattle can of the same color and cover it up well enough because it's a 240k mile Subaru

I agree. If you have UMPD or collision I would just cash it out

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Godholio posted:

That's a drag cause the car's in almost perfect exterior condition otherwise. Clearcoat is great, no rust and I keep it waxed. It's not what most people picture when they hear "240k mile Subaru", although I understand where you're coming from.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If it were my car, the fact that someone hit & ran would bother me more than the damage.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

TheFrailNinja posted:

Legal question: I parked my car on the street yesterday afternoon and just noticed a big dent and a scrape across the side of it, and my mirror was busted off. Looked around the neighborhood and found another car parked right across the street with a mark that matches pretty much perfectly. My car is white, his car is black, mutual paint trading, plus he has the paint worn down to fresh (non-rusted) sheet metal. It's a fresh scrape for sure. So I call the police and they send a car over. In the meantime a girl shows up and gets in the car. I ask her if she hit my car, she denies it but says its her boyfriends car and he drove it last.. coming back from a hockey game last night. She sticks around for a few minutes but says she has to go because she told her friend she would meet up etc. etc., so I get her name and number and her boyfriend's name and number and her license plate/registration plus some pics of the damage. Unfortunately it's dark out so the pictures aren't great. Police officer shows up, we call both of them and they both deny everything. Police officer files a report, seems like he believes me but nothing can be proven so he marks it as a hit and run. What else can I do? For what it's worth, I know the guy's roommate, he lives right next door to me. If he doesn't admit any guilt I just get to cross my fingers and hope that Allstate pays for thousands of dollars in bodywork on my 240k mile Subaru?

The police won't do poo poo. I went through this. If you know a scientist friend have them examine the pay transfer, take a scraping, and sue them in civil court and waste your life on a 240k mile car.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Even if it was an expensive low mileage car, nothing is going to happen without witnesses, admissions, or video.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Christobevii3 posted:

The police won't do poo poo. I went through this. If you know a scientist friend have them examine the pay transfer, take a scraping, and sue them in civil court and waste your life on a 240k mile car.

The nerve though. Parking across the street in plain sight. Almost worth loving with them.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, I got backed into at my grandma's funeral. I parked a block off because my dad owns a lot. Guy leaves his house, hits the driver's door and transfers my paint to his bumper. Police say let them know when you see the vehicle there and give a call.

I drive by at about 10pm, call police, and wait at my dad's lot in the vehicle. Shortly after the dude comes out with a baseball bat threatening me while I still sit with doors and windows closed. Police roll up and he starts ranting that I threatened to kill him and I'm part of the KKK. After police calm him down, they see red paint transfer on his bumper, and just shrug and say they can't prove it.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

TheFrailNinja posted:

If he doesn't admit any guilt I just get to cross my fingers and hope that Allstate pays for thousands of dollars in bodywork on my 240k mile Subaru?

You've done about all you can sadly. And if you have the right coverage (what would hit and run fall under? Comprehensive or uninsured motorist??) then your insurance will pay whatever the damage is after you pay your deductible. It's what they do. Though they also may then start raising your rates since obviously you're a maniac. If you find a local shady paint shop, they might be willing to half rear end some repairs for cheap, but I'm for the rattlecan.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PabloBOOM posted:

You've done about all you can sadly. And if you have the right coverage (what would hit and run fall under? Comprehensive or uninsured motorist??) then your insurance will pay whatever the damage is after you pay your deductible. It's what they do. Though they also may then start raising your rates since obviously you're a maniac. If you find a local shady paint shop, they might be willing to half rear end some repairs for cheap, but I'm for the rattlecan.

UMPD or collision. Not comp.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Selling and title question:

I live in Colorado and am selling my truck. I pulled the title out, and it's an Arkansas title (I bought it when I lived there). Somehow, when registering my truck in Colorado (which I did immediately when I moved here), I was never required to surrender it for a Colorado title.

Do I have to get a new Colorado title in order to legally sell it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Probably not legally but it would make it easier for the buyer, potentially attracting more of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Christobevii3 posted:

Yeah, I got backed into at my grandma's funeral. I parked a block off because my dad owns a lot. Guy leaves his house, hits the driver's door and transfers my paint to his bumper. Police say let them know when you see the vehicle there and give a call.

I drive by at about 10pm, call police, and wait at my dad's lot in the vehicle. Shortly after the dude comes out with a baseball bat threatening me while I still sit with doors and windows closed. Police roll up and he starts ranting that I threatened to kill him and I'm part of the KKK. After police calm him down, they see red paint transfer on his bumper, and just shrug and say they can't prove it.

Police don't give a gently caress about wrecks unless someone is hurt or it's blocking traffic.

Also, get dash cams for the front and back of your car.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Selling and title question:

I live in Colorado and am selling my truck. I pulled the title out, and it's an Arkansas title (I bought it when I lived there). Somehow, when registering my truck in Colorado (which I did immediately when I moved here), I was never required to surrender it for a Colorado title.

Do I have to get a new Colorado title in order to legally sell it?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Probably not legally but it would make it easier for the buyer, potentially attracting more of them.

Is this the sort of issue that you can solve during the sale at the DMV? Like could the buyer and I go sit down at the DMV, complete the sale, and start the title transfer process there, since they'd need to do it after the sale anyway?

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Sir Tonk posted:

Police don't give a gently caress about wrecks unless someone is hurt or it's blocking traffic.

Also, get dash cams for the front and back of your car.

I've been toying with this idea for a little while now and I think now's the time. Just took a look at the marks in broad daylight and it couldn't be more obvious. Dude probably came back from this hockey game hammered, bumped my car and either got scared or maybe didn't think there was that much damage. I'll post pics in a bit. Tell me more about testing paint transfer though, is that a massively expensive/time consuming undertaking? I go to community college for auto tech and I know some guys who work in auto body repair...

My damage:

His damage:

The big gouge across the middle lines up perfectly with the trim piece on my door panel, and it's obviously a fresh scrape.

TheFrailNinja fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 22, 2017

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I wish I could get a car with vinyl siding for paint so when this happens to me I can shrug and ignore it. I care more about the drivetrain than the paint, and if it was bland and whatever to begin with I would be so much less stressed about having a nice car.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

TheFrailNinja posted:

I've been toying with this idea for a little while now and I think now's the time. Just took a look at the marks in broad daylight and it couldn't be more obvious. Dude probably came back from this hockey game hammered, bumped my car and either got scared or maybe didn't think there was that much damage. I'll post pics in a bit. Tell me more about testing paint transfer though, is that a massively expensive/time consuming undertaking? I go to community college for auto tech and I know some guys who work in auto body repair...

My damage:

The big gouge across the middle lines up perfectly with the trim piece on my door panel, and it's obviously a fresh scrape.

I don't think a dash cam would help much with a parked car. The damage is superficial. Fix your car and move on. It sucks but it's not worth obsessing about.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think a dash cam would help much with a parked car. The damage is superficial. Fix your car and move on. It sucks but it's not worth obsessing about.

In an ideal scenario, I imagine you would hear/see the car be hit and then you'd see the perpetrator drive off in front of the car. I live on a one-way street so I think in this case, if the camera was on (which is a big "if"), it would be pretty fantastic evidence. You're right though. I'll pursue this to reasonable ends, see if my insurance covers it, confront the guy personally and then shut the case.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

TheFrailNinja posted:

I'll pursue this to reasonable ends, see if my insurance covers it

It's pretty slam dunk collision coverage, it's a yes/no on if you have collision on your policy. Do you?

The only sticking point is you'll definitely have to pay the deductible out of pocket if the other person will not admit fault and fault can't be proven. Car crashes are such an expensive pain in the rear end which will hopefully be lessened by prolific self-driving stuff in a decade or two.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 22, 2017

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Replacing vacuum line is as easy as it looks-remove old stuff, cut new stuff to length, attach new stuff- right?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner - 143k, 2wd, v6, automatic, extended cab with short bed.

Under acceleration, especially high load like merging or going up a hill, there's a vibration that feels like its coming from the drive line. I immediately assumed carrier bearing but moving it by hand there's less than 1/4" up/down/side movement. Didn't feel any play in the u-joints either. I stuck a gopro under the truck pointed at the carrier bearing and didn't see any vertical movement but more horizontal (forward/backwards) than I was expecting. When coasting there's no vibration, turning and/or braking have no effect.

Video here for those interested, around 1:25 I turn around and start going up hill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsriC-xARE

U-joints haven't been greased in ~75k, plan to address that asap. I plan to rotate tires front to rear tomorrow evening to see if that has any effect.

edit: tried reversing up a hill, vibration is significantly worse

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 23, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

It looks like it's mostly his paint on your car, so I'd guess you could magic eraser or wet sand it back down (might not even need that if it's on top of wax, maybe just solvent and a rag) then get a PDR guy to pop the dent back out.

It probably won't clean up 100%, but I bet you could get it most of the way better for real cheap.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You could also setup an exterior camera if you usually park in the same relative area and have access to the wall.. Surveillance stuff, especially dashcams, are ridiculously cheap nowadays. Some of the dashcams also have gyroscopes or whatever in them that'll turn the camera on automatically for a specific amount of time if it detects the car being bumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'm picking up a car this week and the PO stuck a few of those fake vents on the hood. Any suggestions for getting them off without wrecking the paint? Plastic scraper and WD-40?