Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So I haven't really played any Paradox stuff since EU2 and Victoria. I just picked up all the main DLC for this and am starting out. I picked Portugal because they were a good choice in 2 but trade is weird and I feel like sending ships out to protect trade is barely breaking even after fleet maintenance. I guess I really don't understand how everything fits together but almost all of the tutorials I see are based on the base game. The expansions seem to add a lot of things that aren't really covered anywhere.

Does anyone have suggestions for getting a handle on this?

The starting trade ships will barely break even yeah. They get better at boosting trade as you tech up. The wiki is good for catching up on all the expansion mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Early on you build light ships for naval purposes because they more or less pay their own upkeep, later on they make lots more cash but you really need a good number of big ships to actually fight with.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Trade ships will have a bigger impact the more valuable the node is and the less contested it already is. They add a flat amount of trade power per ship, so that makes a bigger difference if there's 80 power in the node than if there's 200. Early on few nodes have much value because there's a lot of uncolonized land that isn't producing trade value and nobody forwarding trade from Africa, Asia, and the New World.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

So I haven't really played any Paradox stuff since EU2 and Victoria. I just picked up all the main DLC for this and am starting out. I picked Portugal because they were a good choice in 2 but trade is weird and I feel like sending ships out to protect trade is barely breaking even after fleet maintenance. I guess I really don't understand how everything fits together but almost all of the tutorials I see are based on the base game. The expansions seem to add a lot of things that aren't really covered anywhere.

Does anyone have suggestions for getting a handle on this?

On the game or on the trade system?

For the game in general I think you just need to jump in and then ask questions or peruse the eu4 wiki

For trade, it's both the most and least complex system in the game. Here's a pretty good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjLVFMjPyo

Your light ships aren't worth much at the start of the game, but that will change; upgraded light ships exert more trade power and as your naval force limit increases you'll be able to bully entire trade nodes by just dispatching the fleet, which is great if you're able to redirect trade value from a rich place like the spice islands. This also means that you want to dominate as much of the trade power in the Sevilla trade node as possible (so that you can collect all of that trade value), which in the early game means beating up Morocco. Later you'll want to set up a long chain of merchants and high-trade power provinces between the valuable trade nodes in the New World and/or Asia all the way back to Sevilla, using light ships to shore up trade nodes as needed or to dominate new trade nodes. Dominating those nodes means you'll be able to redirect all of that trade value back to Sevilla, where you'll collect it as ducats. You get tons of bonus merchants by forming larger colonial nations and by forming lots of trade companies and giving them enough trade power to dominate their respective trade nodes (this is all just one big feedback loop; more trade power, more merchants, more money)

e: I don't usually recommend watching Youtube tutorials (because then you wind up watching a 10 minute video on institution seeding that could have been summed up in one loving sentence) but the trade video above is really good

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 21, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Bramble posted:

This got posted on reddit and I feel like it belongs here too

It belongs in the OP, honestly.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

[Border goring intensifies]

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your goal should be to not let any of your provinces touch more than 3 of your other provinces

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I have given snaking myself to Lubeck some serious thought :v:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Detheros posted:

I have given snaking myself to Lubeck some serious thought :v:

Make a point of not having any provinces in the HRE beyond Lubeck and then snake to it. It'll be beautiful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Detheros posted:

I hate it when you're going for any achievement that requires coring all of Iberia and then France dips a toe into it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

I hate it when you're going for any achievement that requires coring all of Iberia and then France dips a toe into it.

It's fun to have an end boss!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

I need to give Albania a shot sometime, whats the best strat to do it these days?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

RabidWeasel posted:

Or someone to viciously gang up on with all your blobby friends! Poor Ottomans.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I need to give Albania a shot sometime, whats the best strat to do it these days?

It's super easy in this patch. Ally Hungary and Bosnia, Serbia (usually) guarantees you, click "Friendlies can attach to this unit" on your Skanderbeg stack and wait for the Ottomans to declare and drag all four of you into a Defensive War. If they don't, then restart the game because you lose a ton of time consuming Serbia/Bosnia the slow way and the Ottomans will get strong from eating their Anatolian cores.

Cut a path through the Balkans so you can border Constantinople, figure out how you're gonna deal with 20k+ murder stacks of separatists and then declare on Byzantium to deny Ottomans Constantinople. After that just play like normal while keeping an eye on any opportunities to carve out more territory from the Ottomans because they can still get huge by expanding East and South.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eej posted:

It's super easy in this patch. Ally Hungary and Bosnia, Serbia (usually) guarantees you, click "Friendlies can attach to this unit" on your Skanderbeg stack and wait for the Ottomans to declare and drag all four of you into a Defensive War. If they don't, then restart the game because you lose a ton of time consuming Serbia/Bosnia the slow way and the Ottomans will get strong from eating their Anatolian cores.

Cut a path through the Balkans so you can border Constantinople, figure out how you're gonna deal with 20k+ murder stacks of separatists and then declare on Byzantium to deny Ottomans Constantinople. After that just play like normal while keeping an eye on any opportunities to carve out more territory from the Ottomans because they can still get huge by expanding East and South.
Oh sweet, awesome, thank you. I'm playing a mega Spain game and I am the clear #1 great power and at this point I am pushing for all the achievements I can get so I can be done with it because all this naval and colonial poo poo is getting tedious.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think Personal Unions are the one mechanic I understand basically not at all. As far as I can tell it just goes like this

Get Royal Marriages
???
Maybe Personal Union!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
My understanding is that if you don't have the same dynasty you need to hope their King dies with no heir so there's a chance for your dynasty to take the throne. Once they have the same dynasty then you can request or force a PU over them.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Oh sweet, awesome, thank you. I'm playing a mega Spain game and I am the clear #1 great power and at this point I am pushing for all the achievements I can get so I can be done with it because all this naval and colonial poo poo is getting tedious.

If you want to play Serbia it's a little harder and I haven't been able to pull it off but the idea is that you somehow ally Bosnia, Wallachia (if they haven't rivaled you, which they will), Byzantium, declare on Albania (assuming they aren't allied with anyone of course) and then vassalize them as soon as the Ottomans declare on them (and hopefully Venice doesn't declare on them in their weakness). Then you attach your army to Skanderbeg (or even Hunyadi if you somehow manage to get Hungary in on the action) and do the same as Albania. Obviously, a much more RNG start than Albania.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think Personal Unions are the one mechanic I understand basically not at all. As far as I can tell it just goes like this

Get Royal Marriages
???
Maybe Personal Union!

The platonic ideal of getting PUs is finding an old as gently caress King with no heir, marrying them, they die with no heir and having high enough prestige and development to force a claim for the throne when one of your family becomes heir. Basically if your last name is on their throne you can PU them.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Eej posted:

Actually, the way areas and regions work now an area can only belong to one region. Which means the entire Basque area belongs to Iberia, so you're gonna be fighting France anyway:

You also need the Azores, Madeira and the Canary islands, but not the Balearic islands (they are Italian). It's kinda dumb.

Elman fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 21, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
that's hosed up

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Yeah, the way CK2 handles it where you can define custom regions and put provinces in any number of them (like region and continent, or the Historical Plague Exclusion Zone) is more flexible, if substantially less integrated into game mechanics.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
On the bright side the new mountain range wastelands they added all over the place change the game quite significantly. Being able to hold back France at one or two chokepoints in the Pyrenees is cool. Aq Qoyunlu no longer sharing a border with Trebizond right at the start is less so.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

On the bright side the new mountain range wastelands they added all over the place change the game quite significantly. Being able to hold back France at one or two chokepoints in the Pyrenees is cool. Aq Qoyunlu no longer sharing a border with Trebizond right at the start is less so.

Yeah these are totally great, though the ones in the Middle East are really loving annoying to fight over (which is probably the point, but still)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish the wastelands wouldn't change color to the color of whoever has the most land around it but i also wish the uncolored wastelands didn't look awful just popping out of political mapmode

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
How do you make France hate someone? I'm two provinces away from forming Italy, but I need to fight Tuscany that is VERY protected by my also ally: mega-France. I know I can wait until France is in a hellwar and ignores my aggression, or declare on someone to get France on my side then attack Tuscany, but I don't have any declaration options right now that aren't horrible.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Find an ally of Tuscany's that isn't scary, declare on them, separate peace Tuscany with just Cancel Alliance with France (to minimize Truce time) and then go from there.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

oddium posted:

i wish the wastelands wouldn't change color to the color of whoever has the most land around it but i also wish the uncolored wastelands didn't look awful just popping out of political mapmode

The colour changing is cool but I wish they stood out a bit more, I hate the fact that political mapmode shows the terrain map for empty provinces though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Chump Farts posted:

How do you make France hate someone? I'm two provinces away from forming Italy, but I need to fight Tuscany that is VERY protected by my also ally: mega-France. I know I can wait until France is in a hellwar and ignores my aggression, or declare on someone to get France on my side then attack Tuscany, but I don't have any declaration options right now that aren't horrible.

declare on tuscany and make france a co-belligerent. if you get crushed then your italy was never meant to be

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

Alternatively, call France into another small war with someone, then declare war on Tuscany when France joins the war with you. Try and finish Tuscany before the other war, because if you end the small war France might still join against you in the Tuscan war.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

Alternatively, call France into another small war with someone, then declare war on Tuscany when France joins the war with you. Try and finish Tuscany before the other war, because if you end the small war France might still join against you in the Tuscan war.
I was going to say this but didnt because he said "declare on someone to get France on my side then attack Tuscany, but I don't have any declaration options right now that aren't horrible" so I dont think is an option.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So I'm through my first four Idea groups in my Welsh colonialism game. Exploration, Administrative, Economic and Quantity are indeed pretty hard to gently caress up. Not really sure where to go from here though. Influence so I can demand more poo poo in war? Expansion to expedite colonization? Religious to holy war all the overseas heathens? :shrug:

Any less obvious benefits or drawbacks to any of these ideas that might sway the decision?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I was going to say this but didnt because he said "declare on someone to get France on my side then attack Tuscany, but I don't have any declaration options right now that aren't horrible" so I dont think is an option.

Well, I did decide to say it because my brain is slow and I can't read, lol...smh.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

RabidWeasel posted:

I just fought phase 1 of my end boss.

The Ottoman, French, Mega Iraqi, Tunisian power block. :stonklol:

Good thing I had my own power block of Burgundy, Lithuania, Hungary, Ryazan, and Big Perm.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mega Iraq still isn't too bad cause their national ideas are pretty meh in the hands of an AI.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, I may have to invent a war just to get this to happen.

My major mistake was not finishing the Ottomans once they lost their first major war and not finishing Byzantium when they were vulnerable. The Ottomans just went east and became monstrous enough that I can't take their things and get big enough to do what I like in Italy. Castile and France are allies too, so who knows when I will get Southern Italy.

Edit: I got Genoa and Florence from Tuscany when I was lucky enough to have the 30 Years War pop and France was too busy to defend Tuscany. The only issue is I couldn't take more than those two provinces (like springing Siena free and taking it) due to the ridiculous amount of AE that comes with Italy.

I have 200 years to get Rome and Siena.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oddium posted:

You can turn off wasteland colouring if you didn't know. Not sure if you mean grey wastelands look bad or terrain wastelands look bad but there are modes for both.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I would like to thank Great Britain for funding the first Albanian-Spanish Imperialist War to the tune of 1000 ducats. :stare:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

At what point does it start to make sense to just take out a handful of loans to embrace an institution? Like say if it's going to cost me an additional 1000 ducats and I'm pulling ~12 ducats per month on average, and it's spreading very slowly in my provinces, and I'm sitting at 35% tech penalty at this point, it seems like it would make sense to just go ahead and buy it out immediately with 3-4 loans.

But I dunno if there are any general rules to follow in regards to that, like if you should always get them ASAP or maybe wait a bit if you aren't too far behind (and your tech levels are ahead anyway, for example). Kind of similarly not sure about if you should beeline to start spreading by doing development ASAP as soon as a new one pops up or not.

Oh also, if you are fully annexing another country, you can still take ducats from them, is there any reason NOT to do that other than inflation I guess? Just seems kinda funny that you are claiming everything anyway, where's the money come from? :v:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

At what point does it start to make sense to just take out a handful of loans to embrace an institution? Like say if it's going to cost me an additional 1000 ducats and I'm pulling ~12 ducats per month on average, and it's spreading very slowly in my provinces, and I'm sitting at 35% tech penalty at this point, it seems like it would make sense to just go ahead and buy it out immediately with 3-4 loans.

But I dunno if there are any general rules to follow in regards to that, like if you should always get them ASAP or maybe wait a bit if you aren't too far behind (and your tech levels are ahead anyway, for example). Kind of similarly not sure about if you should beeline to start spreading by doing development ASAP as soon as a new one pops up or not.

Oh also, if you are fully annexing another country, you can still take ducats from them, is there any reason NOT to do that other than inflation I guess? Just seems kinda funny that you are claiming everything anyway, where's the money come from? :v:

The situation you describe is exactly when I'd take out loans. More than 5 is too early, but once you're down below that it makes more sense to get the loans than to wait another decade for another round of provinces to get the institution.

If you're planning to develop for an institution then yeah, do it as soon as possible. The longer it's in your country the less expensive it will be to embrace when the tech penalty gets to be a little much.

No reason not to take all the ducats. You're raiding their treasury, which I guess gets stolen by the fleeing aristocracy unless you demand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the weird part is when you full annex and they don't let you take all the gold. like the last sovereign king is buried with it or something

• Locked thread