Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

emoji posted:

Lol if you've ever installed an app made by Facebook even once. They purposefully broke the mobile website recently to try to force people onto their apps.

it's extremely frustrating because i don't want to use the pages manager but i can only access my business' facebook page messages from it on my phone. i don't use a single other feature of the app and it's irritating that they deliberately broke this poo poo. if i didn't get about half of my catering requests via facebook id just get rid of it altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ocrassus posted:

iirc you can't charge a card with your contactless hack job thing, but you can still steal card details. which is p bad

why can't you? your contactless hack job thing can be indistinguishable from a real payment terminal from the card's point of view

one reason issuers seem to be disregarding shipping cards with contactless hardware in 'em in favor of apple pay, which is much safer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
capturing contactless details is not so useful cause iirc the chip generates a one time use code on contact so in theory you couldn't replay it later as a contactless payment

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why can't you? your contactless hack job thing can be indistinguishable from a real payment terminal from the card's point of view

one reason issuers seem to be disregarding shipping cards with contactless hardware in 'em in favor of apple pay, which is much safer

One big reason is that you need to be within 1-2 cm of the card. So unless you are going go round rubbing an antenna against everyones trouser leg and in their hand bag you can't get the card details in the first place.

The second reason is that you need a merchant account to actually do a charge

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Fond memories of using a small drill bit to remove contactless chips in the mid 2000s

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

capturing contactless details is not so useful cause iirc the chip generates a one time use code on contact so in theory you couldn't replay it later as a contactless payment

yeah, wouldn't you need a disposable merchant account to do this, which is actually *still* very reasonably a thing which it takes a lot of doing to get? (to the point of being almost impossible to recoup from one-time theft)

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

raminasi posted:

it's too big and i hate it

nah

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wheany posted:

i haven't carried cash for 6 months or so. contactless when it's available, chip+pin when it isn't.

lol that you were carrying cash in 2015 like some sort of caveman

ive lived in THIS_EUROPEAN_COUNTRY for five years and i still couldnt recognize 90% of the legal tender notes because i just never see them

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jre posted:

One big reason is that you need to be within 1-2 cm of the card. So unless you are going go round rubbing an antenna against everyones trouser leg and in their hand bag you can't get the card details in the first place.

The second reason is that you need a merchant account to actually do a charge

no no no one guy totally saw and article where a big enough antenna can charge cards from a secret cart in a hallways like and share if you agree

poty posted:

ive lived in THIS_EUROPEAN_COUNTRY for five years and i still couldnt recognize 90% of the legal tender notes because i just never see them

also same. join us in the cyberpunk 2017 future where your phone is your credits device and you can access the world from a small glass slab that literally everyone has

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Agile Vector posted:

no no no one guy totally saw and article where a big enough antenna can charge cards from a secret cart in a hallways like and share if you agree

with this compact 25 meter antenna thieves can steal your credit card data from across the room!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

infernal machines posted:

with this compact 25 meter antenna thieves can steal your credit card data from across the room!

llolled (literally lolled) at this mental image.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

poty posted:

but my wheresgeorge account :(

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

poty posted:

Drugs.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my dispensary got kicked off Square so I don't collect reward points for chooming anymore :saddowns:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

and if you live in really great European countries, corruption too

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
white flag 0 rainbow

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Steve really liked to talk about pants-making GBS threads for some reason: http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i have a network printer in the hall close to my office. in windows 10 it couldn't print double sided but in macOS it can.

this has been a macos success story thanks for reading

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Boiled Water posted:

i have a network printer in the hall close to my office. in windows 10 it couldn't print double sided but in macOS it can.

my mates win10 laptop can only print in a sicklish yellow to the network printer so whenever he needs something printed in colour which thankfully isn't v often he has to mail the stuff to me true story

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe the real story is network printing is dark magic and i haven't sacrificed enough undergrads to it yet

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
huh strange that windows wouldn't understand CMYK printers, preferring just CMY, almost as if windows has no concept of color management or amateur hour graphics handling in general

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Isn't the print spooler code from like windows 3.x? Like you still have to restart the service to remove something from the print queue because it literally hasn't worked in 15 years

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

no its definitely dark magic and its why we have a sacrificial intern queue next to the print queue. sorry boiled water, youll need to start feeding it more sci majors

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DuckConference posted:

Steve really liked to talk about pants-making GBS threads for some reason: http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html
owns

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Agile Vector posted:

no its definitely dark magic and its why we have a sacrificial intern queue next to the print queue. sorry boiled water, youll need to start feeding it more sci majors

they're a dime a dozen so gently caress 'em, daddy needs adobe rgd

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

DuckConference posted:

lol

when you grow up you get told you cant poo poo your pants... but you can... once you learn that youll never be the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGe5rEDv3g8

poty fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 22, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boiled Water posted:

apple bought the company that made the most popular linux print spooler in order to create the osx printing subsystem

not only is linux printing just as good as osx, linux is its native platform.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

who the gently caress uses linux to print things

i mean except as a print server for an os with real fonts

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
it's just CUPS

apple hired the CUPS developer, bought all the rights from him, and integrated it into OS X after OS X was released because OS X had no print system to start with LOL

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 23, 2017

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

lmao if you print anything anymore

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CUPS on OS X is weird like PCL vs. PS printing on Win32. You have custom drivers that provide a nice interface for each printer then generic poo poo that is ugly and barely usable. Linux obviously chose to only take one half.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Doc Block posted:

because OS X had no print system to start with LOL

not quite, they had QuickDraw which was a holdover from OS 9, and print drivers hooked into it

QD was deprecated by 10.4 though

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
who prints things it is 2017.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Doc Block posted:

it's just CUPS

apple hired the CUPS developer, bought all the rights from him, and integrated it into OS X after OS X was released because OS X had no print system to start with LOL

yeah and that was all done over a decade ago and since then it's worked great

meanwhile

Boiled Water posted:

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

my mates win10 laptop can only print in a sicklish yellow to the network printer so whenever he needs something printed in colour which thankfully isn't v often he has to mail the stuff to me true story

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah and that was all done over a decade ago and since then it's worked great

meanwhile

my wife's mbp can't print more than one duplex copy of something on our networked HP laser or it will never stop printing until you cancel the print job on the printer and manually remove it from the queue. it also somehow manages to make the printer regularly run out of memory, I think by sending the data in full color despite the printer being monochrome

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

my wife's mbp can't print more than one duplex copy of something on our networked HP laser or it will never stop printing until you cancel the print job on the printer and manually remove it from the queue. it also somehow manages to make the printer regularly run out of memory, I think by sending the data in full color despite the printer being monochrome

carry that poo poo printer across town to the dump

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i love that in tyool 2017 complex pdfs can still cause a printer to spit out reams of glyphs with both PS and PCL drivers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i love that in tyool 2017 complex pdfs can still cause a printer to spit out reams of glyphs with both PS and PCL drivers

This is why I'm amused that people think we're going to perfect self-driving cars or visit the stars some day. We can't even get loving putting letters on paper right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is why I'm amused that people think we're going to perfect self-driving cars or visit the stars some day. We can't even get loving putting letters on paper right.

gutenberg got it right 500 years ago we are devolving

• Locked thread