Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo no, but it'd be a close race between their mad science and engineering's mad science on who almost blows up people/the ship/the universe more. That's not even going into the Prime Directive, or as a friend once described it upon finishing her first watch through of TNG; the explorers version of prohibition.

Someone should totally keep a tally next time they watch the various series of which department fucks everything up more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Orv posted:

Unrelated, what's up with John de Lancie's black lipstick in the Q suicide Voyager episode? He's not wearing it in any of the other Voyager ones.

He wears lipstick in his judge robes too. Maybe he just wears it when he wants to feel fancy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hrm, let's see...I want to be a warlord judge here in the post-nuclear world.

First thing I need is some weirdo robes and the second is a cherry picker to ride around on. That'll make them fear me.

If that doesn't, I always have my carpet sample soldiers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Gotta have a hat that makes you look like a chess set queen

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Do you think the sycophants and guards and such are Q as well? Are they illusions? Is he actually time travelling and using people and locations that existed? Did he create new life just to gently caress with people and then extinguish them when they were no longer needed?

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 21, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Do you think the sycophants and guards and such are Q as well? Are they illusions? Is he actually time travelling and using people and locations that existed? Did he create new life just to gently caress with people and then extinguish them when they were no longer needed?

Illusions, though creating new life would be a very Q move.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The post-atomic horror being some sort of globalized sixteenth century was a more inspired choice than what we got in First Contact.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

Klingon hot wings would probably kill a human

Only if they headbutt you during a football match.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DAMAR AND KANAR STORY

Kanar on set was actually just pure corn syrup. Casey Biggs would do take after take actually drinking the stuff. He ended up getting all hosed up on too much sugar and getting really squirrely and not feeling well so eventually they found another way to make Kanar that wasn't just pure corn syrup.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Well, a couple different versions of Kanar show up. Early on it's this pale orange-pink stuff, I've never seen anyone say what they used for that. But the later blackish poo poo was straight up Karo Dark Corn Syrup. And yeah, that probably hosed him up pretty bad guy.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
His tastes evolved later, of course.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah we just caught an episode where he throws his glass against a mirror and it's super syrupy. But if you go back and watch an episode where Quark is serving to Garak (same scene where he tries root beer), it's neon blue like romulan ale/every other space drink.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I hope in the future the entire breadth of human alcohol gets distilled(heh) into one single drink called Earth Wine or something.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Memory alpha says it's likely that "high-quality" kanar is thick and syrupy while low-quality or spoiled kanar is more liquidy.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Ehh, makes more sense to me that kanar is just the Cardassian version of beer or wine. There's a ton of different styles and most are equally legit.

What are people's thoughts on yamok sauce? I'm not sure we ever saw it in the show, but I always imagined it like a bitter, sour curry sauce.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

What are people's thoughts on yamok sauce? I'm not sure we ever saw it in the show, but I always imagined it like a bitter, sour curry sauce.

I always pictured it being like duck sauce you get from Chinese delivery, sickly sweet.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I suppose I always pictured teriyaki or KC style BBQ sauce.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I figure it's garum

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah we just caught an episode where he throws his glass against a mirror and it's super syrupy. But if you go back and watch an episode where Quark is serving to Garak (same scene where he tries root beer), it's neon blue like romulan ale/every other space drink.

https://youtu.be/6VhSm6G7cVk

Doesn't look blue to me... :spergin:

Q_res fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 22, 2017

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Q_res posted:

https://youtu.be/6VhSm6G7cVk

Doesn't look blue to me... :spergin:

I was thinking of the wrong episode/scene. It's the one where he's freaking out because of the brain implant that it's blue

anyway, there's some blue kanar :spergin:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I think we also see blue kanar when we first meet Tain.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always felt Kanar tasted like jager as someone said. Sometimes Kanar looked like thick syrup, which I'd think would not make a satisfying drink. Like trying to drink cold hot fudge.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

WampaLord posted:

I always pictured it being like duck sauce you get from Chinese delivery, sickly sweet.

I always pictured it as lumpy viscous mustard. Yamok sounds like some kind of alien mollusk. Some kind of weird eel-sauce/Dijon mustard cross seemed appropriately Cardassian.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I always figured that Kanar was a reference to Cynar, which is one of the worst tasting and most bitter liqueurs I have had.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

King Hong Kong posted:

The post-atomic horror being some sort of globalized sixteenth century was a more inspired choice than what we got in First Contact.
FC takes place in Montana so I'm sure they were isolated from all of the post-collapse society stuff for the most part

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Blast Fantasto posted:

I was thinking of the wrong episode/scene. It's the one where he's freaking out because of the brain implant that it's blue

anyway, there's some blue kanar :spergin:
Is that the liquid in the bottle or is that just a blue bottle? It kind of looks like there's something around the outside of the bottle, like a kanar coozy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Knormal posted:

Is that the liquid in the bottle or is that just a blue bottle? It kind of looks like there's something around the outside of the bottle, like a kanar coozy.

He pours it earlier in the scene, it looks like they used some kind of blue sports drink for the prop.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And then there's hasperat.

Various attempts at making it I've seen people try always seem to be some kind of cucumber slice burrito with insanely hot sauce on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I figured it has lots of alfalfa sprouts for some reason.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's gotta be one of those cultural dishes that people still insist on eating even though it's terrible but you can't stop because it's so wrapped up in tradition. Like fruitcakes or chili without beans.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Taste-wise I've never had a strong idea, but I've always had this sense that, given the description of the unit as "wrappings", I pictured a thick sauce generally served saturated in an edible paper of some sort.

Like, you could order X, but if you ordered X with a yamok-saturated wrap around it, it was even better.

I've no idea why, but Cardassians don't strike me as a "just drizzle this stuff on whatever" people. It has to be part of the foods architecture, so to speak.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 22, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's gotta be one of those cultural dishes that people still insist on eating even though it's terrible but you can't stop because it's so wrapped up in tradition. Like fruitcakes or chili without beans.

Like lutefisk or shark fin soup.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Data Graham posted:

Various attempts at making it I've seen people try always seem to be some kind of cucumber slice burrito with insanely hot sauce on it.

Hm, I'd always thought of hasperat as like a spicy hummus, and I thought it never actually appeared on screen, but I guess it has.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Or pasta.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MisterBibs posted:

Taste-wise I've never had a strong idea, but I've always had this sense that, given the description of the unit as "wrappings", I pictured a thick sauce generally served saturated in an edible paper of some sort.

Like, you could order X, but if you ordered X with a yamok-saturated wrap around it, it was even better.

I've no idea why, but Cardassians don't strike me as a "just drizzle this stuff on whatever" people. It has to be part of the foods architecture, so to speak.
I'd figured it was an idiosyncratic way to refer to a given quantity of it, possibly because it was wrapped in something - but it wasn't any different than a 'bottle' of wine being 750ml, a 'pint' (which would be a weird cultural unit in Trektown), etc.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Bring back Crystal Kanar

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fruitcakes are delicious if you make them right. Problem is lots of people only make them like once a year and are working off lovely recipes that are way too sweet and filled with maraschino cherries, mini marshmallows, and similar bullshit. People often take this baffling "more is more" approach to seasonal treats where they throw in ten different kinds of dried fruit and nuts and loving candy because that makes it "more special" but that's not really how baking works, so all they wind up doing is making this horrible soggy mess of contrasting flavors and weird colors that people feel compelled to force down because it would be rude to refuse something someone worked so hard on. Just make a normal sweetbread/cake and put some raisins/currants and maybe some dried apricot and chopped walnut in there. It's good. You can stop there. You can also use prunes/dried cherries/apple or whatever. Just don't try to fit everything in and be sure to avoid anything that comes in a syrup or has "candied" in its name so that normal, non-prediabetics will be able to enjoy it and no one will be left asking why their tongue turned green.

Chili without beans is weird to me though, where is that common?

Data Graham posted:

I know Hasperat is literally just those tortilla wraps people serve as finger food at parties (at least that's what the prop was), but the mention of brine and the existence of "hasperat souffle" makes me picture it as one of those simple but challenging regional dishes that people associate with good home cooking. The whole conversation Ro has where the guy complains that no one makes it as spicy as the stuff he grew up with made me think of chili, or kimchi, or similar food where every family has their own special recipe and the store bought/replicated stuff just isn't the same. I always pictured Hasperat as being slightly fermented flatbread with a tangy flavor like sourdough or injera and plenty of spice.

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know, I got the impression Cardassians put yamok sauce on just about everything. Garak and even Dukat seem to be a bit adventurous by Cardassian standards, but still didn't have particularly broad tastes. Cardassians as a whole (at least the soldiers we mostly saw) were conformist and not particularly cosmopolitan, so I wouldn't be surprised if their civilization was basically the equivalent of those guys who put ketchup on everything. Iirc, there's one seen where one of the Cardassians (Damar maybe?) doesn't like his food and demands more yamok sauce, which makes me think it's basically Cardassian hot sauce.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kanar can be blue, it can be not blue just like some rum can be clear and some can not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The other thing about fruitcake is, if you add rum cake preparation they're super awesome. My grandma made a rummy fruitcake that I'm pretty sure was a fire hazard.